Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Tesla Ireland may not know what will arrive until they are on the boat and they then match up what they have in transit with the orders they have. If your order doesn’t match up with a car on the boat, you’re waiting for the next boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

The first boat destined for Ireland is far more likely to have a tonne of RWD models as they were eligible for grant months before the AWD , add to that, Last Fridays change undoubtedly resulted in a flurry of orders for the newly eligible AWD

i wouldn’t mind waiting until May or June for the AWD but I’m reading talk of potentially September and no way would I pay over 10 k more for the AWD if I missed the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes, those of us with a 2022 RWD order and a 2023 LR order could be faced with a stick or twist in February. Now if the government were to announce before then that they were keeping the full grant until the end of 2023 it would take some of the pressure off.

Also, I think in some market in 2022, Tesla committed to absorbing the grant loss if the delivery date slipped to after the grant cut off date?

I still would like to know what in the Tesla process triggers the delivery window going from months (eg. Feb-Mar) to days (Feb 21-Mar 06). This occurred for everyone with a 2022 order on the 6th of January, regardless of the date they ordered. I think that at that point, Tesla know there are enough of your type of cars (eg. MY RWD, white on white, 19") in the batch to meet your order. The VINs aren't matched yet, but they know they have enough cars to match all the orders up to that date. Either on board or made in the yards waiting to be loaded. Add in a few days contingency to allow for storms in the Atlantic, stops in Jeddah, and you've got your 2 week window. Just my theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I changed my SR (ordered in July) to a LR on Jan 14

and I doubt there was enough black LR's on the boat already to still give me the short delivery date that I have :

So I'm skeptical that the dates mean anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@celtic_oz - "I changed my SR (ordered in July)"

You dodged a bullet there twice dude 😁 your initial order didn't even qualify for the grant!

• Advertisement

Actually now I remember .. it was a M3 SR in July which I changed to a MY SR when that qualified (oct ?) , and then MY LR in Jan

probably be talking about canceling it when I miss the grant!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The RWD will Need a stop.

The LR will do it I think.

I changed my RWD to a LR and the delivery window did not change. It stayed at Estimated Delivery: February 21 - March 09.

I had a blue RWD ordered but switched to a blue AWD on Monday so I suppose blue less common order than white

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

If the delivery date is going to be September, I'm out... again. 😁

• Advertisement

Does the blue being selected not take the AWD price over the grant limit? Pretty sure it does.

yep only black or white qualifies for LR

If the date stayed at Estimated Delivery: February 21 - March 09 for a blue AWD then the dates mean nothing IMO

I agree that the date ranges for individuals who have changed their original order can no longer be considered reliable. The software would not be reasonably expected to accurately update in near real time according to each individual change. We should also remember that the software has probably been designed with the US market in mind rather than the Irish market where there is continuous deliveries within a few days from the factory. So as long as Fremont is churning them out, then most changes to your order will probably still not affect the 2 week delivery window. Totally different for Ireland though, and until a VIN is assigned nothing there is certain.

However for the update to the delivery dates from 2 months range to 2 weeks range back on the 6th of January, that occurred for all orders in Ireland at the same time. So that was triggered by some unknown milestone being passed in the overall Tesla process. For those who left their original order unchanged from last year, I would have more confidence in those delivery dates. But again, nothing certain until a VIN appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭costin

RWD version is a very efficient car.

Is lighter (approx. 90kgs) and the rwd motor is optimized for consumption (maybe only via firmware). In warmish conditions MY RWD will do well under 200 Wh / km (under 20kwh/100km) at speeds of 120 kph.

Also in city traffic and country roads you can easily achieve 130-150Wh with not much stress.

So if car is used most of the time in city conditions is a no brainer to go for the RWD. Also motorway autonomy might not bit that big of a difference.

See Bjorn tests in similar conditions (20-21C for MY LR vs MY RWD at 90km): 493 km vs 440 km. It's approx. 10% more.

At 120 km / h difference was well under 10%. Video is out but he did not update yet the google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V6ucyFGKWuSQzvI8lMzvvWJHrBS82echMVJH37kwgjE/edit#gid=735351678

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNTMXiAHw-4&t=808s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Its interesting that the delivery windows are slightly different. I see a number stating Feb 21 - Mar 09, mine has changes from Jan - Feb 2023 to Feb 25 - March 10. You would think that if there was no science to it all blocks would be identical.......

There is a methodology behind it but we don't have visibility of it so it's hard to determine the logic. Or as my mother would have said, "method to the madness".

The 2 week delivery dates do seem to be related to the date in Q4 2022 when your order was placed. Those who ordered in October and have a slightly lower RN, have a delivery timeframe a couple of days earlier than those who ordered in November who have a higher RN.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just thinking aloud re grant. Lets say grant goes completely on July 1st, wonder is there a possibility of it being retained for those with a deposit down but delivery delayed. There is precedence I think..

Good god what have I done , you are indeed correct, I mistakenly overlooked the fact that the AWD only qualifies on condition you select white or black

thank you for alerting me to this fact , I made the change over the phone on Monday and thus no written word confirmation to alert me to my error

im going to switch back to original RWD order as I love blue and don’t want to buy it in the free colours , I just hope I haven’t completely screwed my delivery as I was given a late February to early march slot

im such a dope , thanks again

welcome to the back of the q .. theres a few of us back here .. holding our "but you said February 21 - March 09" banners

• Advertisement

Just got off the phone with Tesla , they said my switch to the AWD in blue had not been fully completed so hopefully I won’t loose my place, guy was extremely helpful

I would have preferred the superior handling and lack of wheel spin you sometimes get with taking off in RWD but colour is a big thing for me , I don’t like black and I think the Y looks blobby in white , I do like the 3 in white , for those who like black or like the Y in white , I think the AWD is great value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

I switched from white with tow bar to blue no tow bar the day before the price drop and my delivery date remained the same feb 17 - march 5

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

with respect, far too many assumptions about software all of which are speculative. Tesla is a global company whose largest production site is China based and each country has its own dedicated websites. Its a stretch and naive to think that a Company renowned for its tech and logistics would use Freemont (Austin Texas is largest site in US) to manage all worldwide estimates.

What we do know is that Tesla don't build to order but run batch production in volume and then these are matched to orders. EDD's have always just been ball park estimates and not reliable. Regarding EDD's the good news is that production capacity has increased (a positive) but orders following price reductions will present challenges (a negative)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Apologies if it has been covered already, but what is the charging time of the RWD from 20 to 100% on a 50kw charger?

Position is that customer will need to satisfy SEAI conditions at the time they take delivery, its SEAI rules not Tesla (i am not aware of any circumstances where Tesla and or SEAI will deviate).

The official position on SEAI resulting from Budget 2023 is that EV Grant has been extended for 2023 but government has flagged intent to reduce gradually from July (not specific)

Accepted that there are some assumptions being made, but without any visibility of the internals, all we can do is observe the externals and try to infer. I also think Tesla were selling cars online before the Shanghai Gigafactory started production, so it's not unreasonable to consider that some of the backend logic may predate China's operations.

What do you think is the trigger for the 6th of January range updates for all the Irish 2022 orders?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

Maybe stick to the AWD in white or black, and get her wrapped in a lovely shiny blue?

That's high on my to-do list. There's a blue Y near me and it just looks dull, even in bright sunlight. VW Lapiz blue would look great on the Y In my opinion.

• Advertisement

Most likely indicaiutative of expectation of large numbers expected to be for Irish orders on shipment due

Advertisement