Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argos to close all Irish stores starting March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Meh, haven't bought anything with them in over 2 years. Website was a pain, stores were uninviting and customer service wasn't great for any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Awful, Argos was always a great place to pick up stuff and they were usually good value. Their returns policy was excellent. Terrible news for all the staff. Soon they'll be nothing left but Bezos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just under 40 stores in Ireland and more than 400 to lose jobs.

Another Irish Examiner article says:

"It is understood staff were told the trading conditions in Ireland, including rents and the overall cost of doing business here, were the reasons behind the closure."

That... and of course Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Never the first stop for me.

They were usually more expensive for brand stuff, and their own brand quality was poor enough. the quality of Habitat went really downhill after Argos added them and it's no better than Ikea.

They do decent sales, and I'm popping in to get some things later at half price.

Honestly, I think Argos is just out of date. It's essentially a trade counter. They stopped printing Argos Catalogs years ago.

Why go to the Argos website and then drive to the shop, when you can just go to Amazon and your items come to you? Id say the Amazon distribution centre in Dublin was the final nail in the coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does that include NI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Surely Argos is a busy store? Does good business?

I know the one in Derry would anyway. Use it a lot. Its generally busy when in.

Maybe it's a Brexit or cross border related issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

Just the cycle of retail life I'm afraid. I've no doubt Argos coming into the Irish market shut down a lot of local shops and now they're being done by online retail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Used to get the odd cracking deal in there for tech stuff and games.

And while the website wasn't exactly star quality, it was handy being able to reserve and pick up things.

A definite loss for consumers and a massive blow to nostalgia of picking through the argo catalog as a child coming up to Christmas to pick out presents to add to the santa list :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Will there be any good closing down deals from this I wonder. Must keep a watch for some.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,429 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Long ago outsripped by the ease of shopping online. Haven't even browsed it's catalogue in must be 5 years. As somebody is saying on RTE now, business model no longer feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

probably not, just circulate stock back in to the UK stores.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Really disappointed to hear that. Always handy for getting things at short notice.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Now that I think of it, the last time I went into an Argos branch, about 4 months ago, it was dead.

Handy to have around for something urgent, but really you can't expect them to keep such big stores open for the odd customer to drift in.

There are more than enough jobs ooen elsewhere for the 400 to be absorbed easily. Hopefully the closures will lead to more shopping local.

They'll do a sale, but I'd say the majority of stock will be dispersed to other Argos stores in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Bought a bit of stuff in Argos over the years and never had any problem at all with replacements if issues with goods. Had an insurance thing as well which was worth it for more delicate goods - must have replaced several headphone sets like this with no quibble. Which is quite the contrast with the likes of others who want you to send it off to some address at your own expense.

But catalogue shopping is dead & gone. Amazon? haven't bought anything off them since Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

All shops to close by June 24th. The Waterford one has looked a bit down on its luck the last few days that I’ve been in. Still a shock. They must have started operating here nearly 30 years ago.

The Range opening here probably had an impact too. It is essentially an Argos you can walk around.

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Completely outdated business model, surprised they managed to hold on this long. The rent on their storerooms alone must be astronomical.

Have to laugh at the amazon comments, as if this is some mom and pop independent retailer or something, instead of a gigantic UK behemoth with almost half a billion in revenue each quarter. They were essentially a B&M version of Amazon before Bezos inherited his blood money, trying to be a jack-of-all-trades kind of shop, while not being exceptionally good at anything.

Their reservation system is all I'll miss about them, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It was great when you needed something ASAP when you couldn't wait.

This is 100% Brexit, All that extra paperwork is not worth it for English shops. I'd say we will see some more close soon too especially in the clothes world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's a pity they're leaving the Irish market. I have found them useful many times.

Argos was always handy.

You could pick up anything from t-shirts, to kettles, to tvs. They were very convenient for random things you didn't want to wait for online, my last purchase was water filter cartridges.

It'll be a loss locally, although no mention on the BBC NI site, so assuming the NI stores are unaffected, for now.

Plus, they were never any hassle for returns. Never had a problem. Once bought a TV and the picture was poor on it, took it back and asked was it broke, I said picture was crap, and they took it off me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Just remembered that when The Spire was built the Council put a time capsule underneath it containing an Argos catalogue.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm old enough to remember when if you knew anyone going to England you would give them a long list of stuff to buy in Argos as they were always cheaper than shopping at home and they had so much choice. I found them handy for stuff you didn't want to order online and wait for a delivery as the nearest store was only 20 minutes from home but as online delivery times have improved I have gone in less and less.

They have been planning on shutting stores across the UK for a while now (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54818644) so no surprise really.

I think the same group own Homebase and Argos?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

Yeah, like a lot of other posters, I haven't shopped in Argos for ages (save for the odd bargain alert :-)

They have a number of stores in Cork, all in prime retail locations and as others have mentioned, the annual rent / rates on these must be colossal

Shame to see them go, but that's capitalism . . .

Not recently.

edit: Home Retail Group used to own both, then they sold Homebase to some Australian crowd and then Sainsbury's bought Home Retail Group.

I remember working in Homebase back in college and getting a 10% Argos discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Damn, I picked the wrong time to quit my job and open a tiny pen factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

I seem to recall going to one in the UK when I was a kid and the stuff you ordered from the catalogue came out from the back on a conveyer belt for you to pick up. Maybe I'm misremembering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Sad to hear but the decision to get rid of the catalogue without updating the website was bound to end badly, never mind Brexit. In the days before the internet the Argos catalogue was a consumerist bible to be found in some corner of nearly every home.

It was a handy place to pick up odd bits and bobs, an area that amazon now has an almost monopoly on.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd noticed on almost everything they sold since Brexit that they had to add labels to them to include an Irish importers address, was likely becoming a pain with paperwork.

What will likely happen now is Amazon will open an exclusive Amazon.ie webstore for Irish customers that will be a complete ripoff of the .co.uk site and not allow shipments here from the .co.uk site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You'd think having access to the EU market and Brexit would have had their UK stores being given this news, very strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You kind of forget they are there tbh. But they are handy if you need something a bit “odd”- like a few years ago I needed a projector and screen for work- only place that had them in stock. I’d imagine carrying they kind of inventory is very expensive these days.

Will leave a big hole in a lot of Irish high streets and shopping centres. Retail in Ireland seems to be in trouble, gone sort of stale with very little new to offer

Wonder will their Irish website continue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭cml387

A relation by marriage works there, from talking to him at Christmas this will not come as a big surprise. Sainsbury taking over may have been the last straw.

I remember when they opened first, I was suprised to find a catalog on my doorstep one morning. Inside was an order form from Jordan Estates, a then-popular moneylender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭thomil

I'm honestly not surprised. beyond Brexit, Argos really went out of their way to make it easy for Amazon to grab their market share. The website is ancient, an absolute nightmare to navigate and not in any way suitable for mobile devices, whilst their in-store terminals are positively archaic. That's not a new development either, that stuff wasn't up to date by 2015, and hasn't gotten any better since. Abandoning the city centres in places like Cork, areas where significant walk-in customers without a car would have provided a steady stream of customers, probably didn't help either.

With the proper investment in an up-to-date website, in-store terminals that don't need a mental health break every time you move to another menu page and decent mobile app, Argos could have had a fighting chance. As it stands, they missed every trend in retail for the last decade, and are now paying the price for it.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Unlikely as we are able to buy from any Amazon site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Argos not doing deliveries was always going to end badly for them

I mean, they had the people in the warehouse doing all the heavy lifting, why not slap a label on the box and get a courier to collect them instead of the consumer

Yup, makes perfect business sense in light of Brexit.

When Argos came here, it took a long time before Argos Ireland offered the same range of goods as the rest of Europe.

Bought my first serious model railway of them on 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Back when Ray D'arcy was on Today FM they did an piece where they summed up the whole Argos catalog.

No idea what the total came to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I don't know, but anytime I was looking for something on it over the past year it's been either out of stock or "Home delivery not available".

Post edited by Ahwell on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah now, you can't drop that into the chat and not give us the total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From my understanding at this time online and all stores closing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Got to think Brexit is a big factor, but having said that the last few things we've got, we selected home delivery anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sad for the staff.

Not overly suppisd tough. I think people have moved on from Argos and ditching the catalogue was a bad idea. For those who weren't very tech savy and those who were. I found their website poor when searching for items.

I'm actually not surprised, though I feel very sorry for the staff.

In recent times, I only ever bought from Argos if I needed something that same day. The most recent thing I can think of was when I needed a replacement keyboard in a hurry, after a liquid spill.

I regularly priced items in Argos -v- Amazon, and in most cases, Amazon worked out cheaper. They also delivered to my door, for free (with Prime).

A lot less hassle than driving to the shop, paying for parking (now introduced in the Square, my local Argos) queuing up....

You either compete, or you lose, and Argos wasn't doing very much to move with the times and be competitive.

I hope the staff get a decent package.

They had quite a store footprint. That must have been very costly vs competition based in one warehouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭randd1

A handy place to pick stuff up.

The problem I found with them was that they tended to be in the middle of towns. Now while that's not a bad thing in itself, it also meant anything buying anything slightly bulky would require you try and find and pay for parking first, and carry the stuff through town back to the car, which could be awkward enough if you were buying a new TV or something like that.

Their website was shocking too, it's slowness and frequent crashes were more an advertisement for Amazon than anything else.

I'd imagine Brexit played a role too, just too much hoops to jump through to do business over here.

A pity, but it was coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Business model outdated by a decade. Fault of management. They had a huge customer base and never adapted or evolved. Website has been the same since the 00s.

Losers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement