Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There were 630,000 asylum claims in Europe in 2021 and around 13,000 in Ireland in 2022 (non Ukraine). No evidence that asylum seekers are favouring Ireland to any degree over other western European countries.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,513 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Liath Luachra threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Pretty late for goggle but Ireland has roughly 1% of EU population.

1% of 630000 is 6300, so our 13000 is double EU average and we are only country without a land border and the most westerly?

Do you have the EU 2022 figures? Is the 630000 of 2021 not much higher this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What has your calculation got to do with anything? The idea of asylum seekers favouring any country isn’t based upon the existing population in any country, it’s based upon the number of people seeking asylum.

The number of people seeking asylum in Ireland represents about 2% of the number of people seeking asylum in Europe. Therefore no evidence whatsoever that Ireland is their preferred destination country, or that Ireland is high value on the global map, or that fulfilling our international obligations is any indication of any attempt to destroy Irish society.

It’s just a ridiculous claim that isn’t even worth entertaining.

The 2022 numbers for not available yet. A quick glance at the figures would suggest that the numbers of asylum seekers are spread fairly evenly around western Europe, some countries take in a bit more than the average and some bit less, but the Irish numbers are not especially high.

• Advertisement

Did you see the "?".

I did; I still don’t see your point though.

It's not a point it's a request for good/better data.

Once I have that data I and anyone else can form an opinion.

I'll work our percentages myself thanks

Do I need to simply that anymore for you?

The percentages you were working out had nothing to do with the claims being put forward. There’s no need to be working out an EU average or anything else. You could still base it on 2021 figures and it wouldn’t make that much of a difference percentage wise because the figures will have increased overall for Europe, not just for Ireland.

In 2021, Germany received about 30% of asylum applications in the EU -

Number of applications per EU country (2021)

In 2021, Germany received over a quarter (30%) of asylum applications in the EU, followed by:

• France (19.1%)
    • Spain (10.4%)
    • Italy (8.4%)
    • Austria (6.1%)

These five EU member states together received almost three quarters of all first-time asylum applications in the EU.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/infographics/asylum-applications-eu/

Ireland with its 2% of applications for asylum in Europe in 2021, won’t even be coming anywhere near the 30% of asylum applications Germany has received. The calculation has nothing to do with the existing population in any European country or the EU average of asylum applications received.

2022 figures, or even 2023 figures, won’t be all that different in terms of percentages of asylum applications, and still they won’t have anything to do with the existing population in any European country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Germany 83 million people - 30% of applicants

Ireland 5 million - 2% of applicants

83000000 divided by 5000000 = 16.6

16.6 x 2 = 33.2%

Percentage wise per population Ireland took in more than Germany in 2021. 10% more than Germany.

• Advertisement

The existing population is irrelevant as to the percentage of applicants? We already know that the figure for applicants is 630,550, which is 100% of applicants. Germany received 30%, Ireland received 2%.

Other than that you’re only making work for yourself. It doesn’t support the claim that Ireland is any more an attractive destination for people seeking asylum than any of the other European countries.

EDIT: I still can’t work out what you’re trying to do by dividing the population of Germany by the population of Ireland and multiplying by 2, it doesn’t give you the figure you’re actually looking for. Divide the number of applicants received by the population of each country, separately, and multiply each answer separately, by 100, if you want to express each answer as a percentage.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

It’s pretty simple. I’ll try again.

Germany took 15 times as many as Ireland in terms of raw numbers

But

Germanys population is 16.6 times greater than Ireland.

If irelands population was the same as Germany’s , Ireland would have taken over 10% more than germanys figure. In terms of % per population Ireland has taken 10% more. It’s a statistical fact, argue away with yourself because you don’t understand basic math. Have a glorious day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Almost No one accidentally ends up in Ireland, There's effort gone in to getting here ,and that includes crossing several other states borders to get here.

I assume most people coming here to claim asylum have arrived from the UK ,

But we do have a duty to assist other European countries that have a crisis

I don't understand why we can't expidate the assylum process,it should be quicker.

But I think we should be helping more people,wether it's refugees coming via Italy/Spain/ or Greece ... not warehousing people but actually helping . Taking people from there or Syria ,camps in turkey or wherever

And that's not easy during a housing crisis in Ireland,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It’s because I understand basic math that I can see your calculations are complete nonsense.

Population of Germany/Applicants * 100 = 0.26

Population of Ireland/Applicants * 100 = 0.21

Difference between them in terms of applicants as a percentage of the population is only 0.5%

And I don’t have to try and be snide about it either. It’s simply a fact that the existing population is irrelevant because that’s not the basis upon which numbers of asylum applications are determined. Asylum seekers don’t give a fiddlers about the existing population numbers, or the numbers of applicants when deciding which country to apply for asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

There were 630,000 asylum claims in Europe in 2021 and around 13,000 in Ireland in 2022 (non Ukraine).

It doesn't matter. Other countries are many multiples the size of Ireland, both in area and population capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Thats not what i get:

Irish population = 5033000

refugees = 13,319

ukranians = 70070

Total = 83389

Percentage of population = 1.65684%

German population = 84,463,935

refugees = 244,132

ukranians = 1021667

Total = 1265799

Percentage of population =1.4986266%

Percentage difference Ireland vs German = 1.65684 / 1265799 * 100 = Ireland took 10.55% more than Germany as a percentage of population.

References:

Ukranians per country - https://www.statista.com/statistics/1312584/ukrainian-refugees-by-country/

Refugees - Germany - https://www.infomigrants.net/en/post/46094/asylum-applications-in-germany-on-the-rise-in-2022

Refugees - Ireland - https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2023/01/03/record-number-of-people-sought-asylum-in-ireland-in-2022/

Here you go : for 2021 and 2021, we are only 17th in the EU for accepting asylum seekers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

@Strazdas There is obviously some reading difficulty there. Last time I respond to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Looking at absolute numbers is a distortion. Assuming that a country sizes it's infrastructure for the population that lives there, it is relative numbers that matter in terms of pressure on services and ability to provide for them.

Super simple stuff

• Advertisement

Assuming that a country sizes it's infrastructure for the population that lives there

That’d be a terrible assumption to make seeing as Governments try to forecast population trends decades into the future when planning infrastructure and so forth. It’s why for instance currently we have a lack of resources, but Government forecasts a drop in the demand for those resources, so it’s not going to funnel spending into anything it doesn’t feel it needs to.

Government estimates weren’t inaccurate for the numbers of non-Ukrainian refugees we could accommodate (even discussing the possibility of replacing direct provision with own-door accommodation), but then Ukraine kicked off and the Irish Government found itself having to cope with an unprecedented situation that it couldn’t possibly have predicted.

There was never any surge in non-Ukrainian refugees that Government hadn’t predicted and were prepared for, it was trying to accommodate both Ukrainian and non-Ukrainian refugees was always going to stretch resources. Provisions for refugees didn’t deprive Irish citizens of anything they were never getting in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

We are having protests on one side with people within these protests obviously racists. "Ireland is full" etc. They do nothing positive but upset people.

Then we have people on one side saying "Refugees welcome" which obviously they are if they are coming from hellholes.

But we have no one sensible saying. What about people coming here from the UK after failing to seek asylum (wasn't their a Social democrat politician involved in something), ripping up travel documents, or coming from safe countries.

If politicians were more open about this I would be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Would be a big 'ol sign, but you should make it and get out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

When I mentioned earlier in this thread that Ireland may emulate Britain with Muslims facing off against Hindus in Leicester I didn't expect it to occur this fast.

Yet here we are with Russians and Ukrainians going at it in direct provision with the fight spilling over into the classrooms through their kids.

I know most on here will choose one side over the other but I personally think of it as an argument between distant countries that I know little.

https://youtu.be/itImeeWTmbI

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I wonder how much Derek Blighe paid her to make that story up

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, Racist Karen recanting tales she clearly read off Facebook.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Whatever about the nuts and bolts of it, the one consequence of all of this lark is Irish politics getting poisoned by arguments over immigration. So many western countries polluted with the constant bickering about it and now that genie is firmly out of the bottle in Ireland ala the US and UK.

And none of the senior Ministers have learned from those countries that this issue isn’t addressed by shouting people down and calling them “extremists” or “far right”

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

There was never any surge in non-Ukrainian refugees that Government hadn’t predicted and were prepared for,

There has been a 467% increase in the number of Applications for International Protection in 2022 compared to 2021.

https://twitter.com/nwl88444048/status/1616050071413616640

https://twitter.com/nwl88444048/status/1616050071413616640/photo/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

Yeah. Derek Blighe paid her to make up the story. He's probably the one that is behind the violence at that hotel in Kerry as well.

Advertisement