Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You posted a fact that SF are organising meetings. Nobody disputes that fact.

You claimed that fact meant that there are political parties selling a united Ireland. That is only an opinion, and based on general comment, not a widely supported opinion.

The claim that no political party is selling a united Ireland remains a valid and widely held opinion. Minority opinions that challenge that are unsupported by evidence. All of the evidence points to declining support for a united Ireland (albeit mirrored by greater declines in support for the union with the UK) with the rise in the middle challenging both of the belligerent partisans on either side.

The more that SF organises meetings and shouts about a united Ireland, the more people will get nervous about it. Yes, they will discuss it, but the support for a united Ireland diminishes. You know this, hence your eagerness to try and get the government on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That is just your opinion on the fact the poster ommitted to mention, that there is a political party selling a UI.

The poster was wrong to make the claim they did...do you accept that?

I gave no opinion on those meetings by the way, I just showed they had happened and will continue to happen as well as the work Irieland's Future are doing.

And yes, I can see how it makes some nervous.

It is not a fact that a political party is selling a UI, it is an opinion.

If I claimed it was a fact that the Green Party were solving the housing crisis, you would challenge that narrative. I could point to the record number of houses being built and you would respond that it is not enough to solve the housing crisis.

In this case, you can point to the FACT that SF are holding meetings about a UI, but those meetings are in the OPINION of most who have expressed an opinion, damaging a UI.

The poster has offered an opinion that no political party is selling a UI. That opinion appears to be me to be well-founded based on the evidence available. The fact of meetings among the fanatical devotees doesn't change that opinion. All those meetings appear to be doing is giving a false sense of achievement to the devoted good republicans.

Perhaps the poster and you should say, 'no political party is selling a UI to me' or 'I am not buying what they are selling'.

That would be accurate.

Saying 'no political party is selling a UI' is factually wrong and inaccurate. Simple.

The reason that discussions get protracted with you is that you continuously present your opinions as facts, when they are not.

If, as you appear to believe, SF are selling a united Ireland, can you give me an example of some political personality, politician, commentator etc. who has bought this SF schtick? Is there someone out there who has woken up with a Eureka moment, or paused on the road to Damascus and said "Wow, SF have just sold the idea of a united Ireland to me"?

Nope, don't think there is any such person. Hence, you can continue to hold the opinion, unsupported by any evidence, that SF are selling a united Ireland.

Selling requires a buyer. So, to be accurate, as you appear to claim to be, you can state as fact that SF are advertising a united Ireland for sale, but that nobody is buying, and other than their relatives coming around for family chats, nobody is showing any interest in what they are advertising.

• Advertisement

Fact = SF have been holding public meetings selling the idea that it is 'Time For Unity'.

All the rest is your 'opinion'.

I haven't given an 'opinion' on these meetings, just stated that contrary to the original claim that a political party were selling the idea.

If you can show that these meetings haven't taken place, please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Were there any buyers?

In my opinion anyone who ‘bought’ that idea at this juncture either has nothing to lose or is slightly challenged.

No idea Brendi and it wasn't the point.

Seems to really get under some skins that somebody is trying though.

The first part of your factual sentence is fact, the second part is opinion.

For instance, I could rephrase the sentence as:

"SF have been holding public meetings trying to reassure themselves that it is 'Time For Unity', while turning people off the idea."

The first part of that sentence is fact, and is identical to the first part of your sentence, the second part is my opinion, which just happens to differ from your opinion, hence the two sentences diverge once we move from fact to opinion.

I am going to leave it there, as it appears from your posts that facts and opinion are being confused.

You do realise you could do this with any public meeting or initiative by a political party?

Interpret it from your biased view?

Best to leave it there alright. The fear to even admit that the issue is live is interesting though, you can see it across Unionism too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Who are Sinn Féin inviting to these rallies/meetings? I can understand why they are happening, it is a great way of generating support for the movement and a push towards unity, I cannot knock that in fairness.

But gathering like-minds in a room for some head nodding is hardly progressive?

Are any other persuasions being invited? Are any turning up, even tokenly?

The GFA is about inclusivity, are Sinn Féin offering that to opposing viewpoints?

I could understand them getting laughed or scoffed at by hardline Unionists, but surely a hand is going out to Alliance members or SDLP members? Is that happening, or is it just a local Tiocfaidh fest with mad nordy culchie types swilling pints, laughing at their own jokes and shoulder nudging on post unity repatriation notions?

They advertise them locally and anyone can go.

Seem to be getting full houses.

You cannot force people along to these things. They are public meetings, everyone is invited.

I did hear anecdotally that one near me in Cavan was a very spirited and good debate with opposing views. The guy who was there said it was very thought provoking.

When you have the leader of FG turning up to an Ireland Future event you know the tide is turning and that there are a demographic buying into the idea.

Pretty much this.

A few politicians from the South pay lip service and put forward some rational arguments, but for the most part it is Tiocfaidh lads spouting off. It would turn you off a united Ireland if you went and listened.

Off to the pub afterwards for the RA songs.

If I am interpreting something, I am offering an opinion, no matter how biased you believe that opinion to be, therefore the thing that I am interpreting is not a fact. Glad to see you are finally understanding.

I explained this clearly twenty posts ago, about how this can happen with any initiative by a political party, where I gave the example that, using your standards, someone could state that because a record number of houses are being built this year, the government are solving the housing crisis and claim that as fact. However, like your statement, the first part is a fact, the second only opinion.

So SF are not organizing meetings to sell the idea that the time is right for unity because of your ‘interpretation’ of what happens at these meetings?

Why the absolute fear here to admit that these meetings happened and are happening, that’s all I said.

No fear at all, just explaining the difference between fact and opinion.

I disagree. It is a peculiar fear manifesting itself and you are not alone.

This attempt to deny fact is prevalent elsewhere. Anyone promoting even a conversation about a UI is attacked and vilified. The PSNI even had to inform the Ireland Future organizer of death threats against him and his university had to take security measures. Senior Unionist politicians even attempted to get him sacked.

Nobody is being forced to talk or discuss yet you have huge denial and anger that the conversation is happening. Bizarre behavior really from people who reputedly stand over the GFA which legitimized the aspiration. Was there a clause that said ‘you can only talk about it when we say?’

Lot of rubbish being posted here, in my opinion.

Shinners punting the UI ball for all they are worth despite the obvious opinion of most that this is miles away yet.

The conditions are nowhere near for this to happen but the Shinners keep pumping it out which would in fairness rile up any folk who have opposing views.

Yet these ‘Super Republicans’ who lurk in the background and are not familiar with the scent of the whins and heather keep pumping out rubbish.

Unbelievable Jeff!!!

What bizarre nonsense.

All I have said is that it is opinion rather than fact that Sinn Fein are "selling" a united Ireland.

The rest of your post is invented hyperbole to hide your embarrassment.

No blanch it’s a fact. SF have held meetings and will hold them selling the idea of Unity.

You have a stereotyped idea about what goes on at those meetings which is an opinion which IMO is based in fear…like a lot of stereotyping.

• Advertisement

They can hold all the meetings they want but only ‘Super Republicans’ seem to think that this ideal has any traction anywhere right now.

Those who can see the big picture rather than vacuous ideals and pie in the sky can see that this issue is dead in the water right now.

The ‘Super Republicans’ operating from their back room on a laptop of course won’t be around when the realisation that this ideal was flawed and premature right now.

But of course they still plough on……

Holding meetings does not equate to selling a united Ireland.

Truly bizarre head in the clouds stuff emanating from those calling for it.

So it came on during my scrolls through Star Trek toks, and I was shocked to see it. And then I remembered the end of Black Hawk Down. But while I looked for it, I found it was played at the Queen Mother’s funeral.

Why aren’t we looking at The Minstrel Boy for the new anthem? Written as an Irish nationalist song, completed with a call to end all wars during the US Civil War, performed with gusto both in Nationalist & Unionist (British Army) circles, well known the world over & associated with this country and its national symbol, the Harp.

”One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard!

One faithful harp shall praise thee!"

I think a lyric-less anthem is the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

As a nation that loves a good singsong, not sure a lyric-less anthem is a runner.

As a nation that loves a good singsong

Therein lies the problem...finding a form of words to represent a new nation with different views on our history.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

We have plenty of time to figure that out……decades even 😯😯

Again, there might be a problem there. Situations can turn around very fast.

Most sensible folk wouldn’t expect this particular situation to “turn around” any time soon.

• Advertisement

Apart from the contradictory opening sentence, there is a lot of food for thought in this article. This part makes for particularly interesting reading:

"So here’s my message to Sinn Fein, Ireland’s Future, and others of that ilk: if you want unity to be as peaceful and harmonious as possible, get on with making it attractive to those most difficult of people, the Ulster unionists. One way to do that is to keep as many British links as possible in the ‘new Ireland’, however unpalatable that may be to you as Irish republicans and nationalists. As Linda Ervine, much loved by gaeilgeoiri for her valiant efforts to promote the Irish language in loyalist East Belfast, says: “I wouldn’t lose sleep over a united Ireland, but I would lose sleep over losing links with the rest of the UK – that would be an issue for me.” None of this is going to be easy, given the current anti-British and anti-unionist atmosphere in the Republic and the stubborn, unmoving and unforgiving nature of unionism in the North. A lot more ‘uncomfortable conversations’ (the title of a Sinn Fein initiative eight years ago aimed at dialogue with Protestants and unionists, which ran out of steam) will be needed, and I suggest this time they are led by parties other than the detested Sinn Fein."

I am pretty much in agreement with the sentiment that Sinn Fein have been talking to nobody or selling nothing for a united Ireland. They are clearly one of the main blockages towards a shared island.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement