Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Not directly but indirectly. The use of the North runway went through extensive consultation, and approval for use was based on this. Departures were going to make a slight right turn but not a complete 90 degree turn that many departures take immediately from 400 feet above ground level and many houses in this area were not consulted and not given noise insulation grants because departures were never intended to go this way.

It will be modified and all will be fine but it shouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

So how were those 90 degree turns approved if the original SIDs were designed to only have slight right headings after takeoff?

Were departing aircraft just being allowed shortcuts to the beginning of their routings to save a couple of minutes and some fuel?

I don't recall reading about or hearing of any reasons given for aircraft not following the original approved SIDs when the controversy blew up

but maybe there was a valid reason? Still it all sounds a bit vague as to how such an anomaly transpired.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Astral Nav

There has been a number of coding issues with the new SIDS, essentially some of the turns are too tight, the ENDEQ departure (similar to the old LIFFY one) has a strange double turn like a half number eight which jet aircraft can't really fly accurately. It needs and is being looked at. LHR has a 30° divergence for a go around, no need for far more extreme turns at Dublin. Once again there really is a need for a review as to how the IAA and DAA operate and what the knowledge base is in the relevant departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Worth pointing out as well that the North runway when used for Easterly departures only has a 15° divergence in conjunction with a straight ahead go around on the South runway. So, the divergence doesn't need to be 30°, never mind 70° for anything to do with safety of go arounds.

Here's that strange half figure eight route, from a departure 5 minutes ago. Can anyone explain the rationale for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Astral Nav

It's an Rnav SID no not dependent on fixed navaids but the charts do seem to show the first turn towards the DUB VOR and then the second turn. As I said impractical or impossible to track correctly and difficult to understand the logic at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Have a read so you can stop spoofing. The type of operation you are suggesting, departures off the north and landing on the south will NOT happen.

10 left is the dominant landing runway. The missed approach off 10 left turns 30° away from the departure track off 10 right. Read ICAO DOC 9643 part 4.2.1

The 10 left SID turns 15° away from the SID off 10 right as ICAO LAW requires 15° separation from a SID off a parallel runway.

All of which is contained in the ICAO document above.

Post edited by moonshy2022 on

75° turns were included in consultation 2 with the DAA, it appears that many have chosen to ignore what they heard. It was called Scenario B, (turns dictated by ultimate destination), voted on as preferred https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/resources/view-red-c-research-report.pdf?sfvrsn=2ab85915_2

let’s try not to rewrite history shall we. Yes the aircraft are turning too early and that is being rectified but the amount of BS that’s being posted here by people with no factual basis is ludicrous. 75° turns were consulted on and via the poll were chosen as the preferred option by local residents.

see above link for FACTS.

Check out the MOPAS SID off 25 left in Barcelona. Earlier turn, sharper turn, followed by a massive reversal of course.

Have a read so you can stop spoofing.

Have you considered a career in public relations? You have such a lovely tone and manner.

The type of operation you are suggesting, departures off the north and landing on the south will NOT happen.

What I am talking about is the departures (westerly and easterly) off the North runway. The SID is 15° to the east and either 30° or 75° to the West. What is the reason for this difference?

10 left is the dominant landing runway. The missed approach off 10 left turns 30° away from the departure track off 10 right. Read ICAO DOC 9643 part 4.2.1

The 10 left SID turns 15° away from the SID off 10 right as ICAO LAW requires 15° separation from a SID off a parallel runway.

That appears to confirm my point. It certainly doesn't contradict it. Would you like to try again?

Well, I wasn't consulted on any of this. What vote are you talking about? It seems pretty strange to ask residents whether 30 degree and 75 degree turns are a great idea. Surely nobody wants departing aircraft over their house. Or do some people want to be able to look down on their own house when flying off or something? Doesn't sound likely to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

Where are the new SIDs starting from 2rd of Feb? Impossible to find them on iaa / daa websites.

Found them - https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/default-document-library/ei_amdt_a_2023_002_en.pdf?sfvrsn=5e4c13f3_2

I’m not here to hold hands and make friends.

All the facts are in my post. You are referring to a use of runway that will never happen at Dublin.

The SIDs only need to diverge 15° from each other.

The SID of 10 right and the Missed approach off 10 left need to diverge by 30° and they do. What you are talking about is a scenario that will never happen as planning permission does not allow the runways to be used in that way.

Try reading posts before you respond. All of the above is in my first post.

just because you weren’t consulted directly doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Read my links all the facts are in there. Turns out only a few hundred people bothered their backsides to turn up to the public consultations, did you go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

Pilot overshot the initial turn, and then realigned with the fly-by waypoint located north of Oldtown, before turning to the waypoint above Rush. It's actually aligned with the SIDs

So, the SID that the DAA identified as happening around 30% of the time "will never happen" according to you. In fact, it doesn't matter how often it gets used. It's an identified SID. So, my question remains why does this SID diverge by only 15 degrees, whereas the Westerly departure diverges by 30 and 75 degrees? You've said something about the residents "voting" on it, which is a completely ridiculous claim. You linked to an opinion poll conducted by Red C in which two options were given and 44% of people chose neither of them. These decisions aren't made on the basis of opinion polls.

Something I just learned also, is that the application by the DAA which includes these divergent routes is still under appeal. There is no legal basis at all for the departures they are using. The 2007 planning permission is what they should be using which clearly implies straight out departures.

Yes, it looks like they are trying to keep to the SID. Here's another one from a few minutes ago. Dublin to Toronto which is currently heading directly West but in an effort to keep to the SID is going North East for a bit. It's pointless unless the point is to annoy as many residents as possible in Kilsallaghan, Rolestown and Oldtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

This document is quite clearly flawed. You can most easily see this on the noise mitigation section. Take a look at the decibel map. It quite clearly doesn't take into consideration the northerly SIDS. This is the issue. Housing on this path were not consulted properly and were also not eligible for noise insulation grants when quite clearly they should have been.

I have no problem with the sid itself, rather how these errors were allowed and creating the issues we have now.

See my previous posts and links for answers. Though I don’t believe you actually read any of them and won’t bother to read or try understand them.

I link my posts with facts, I’ve yet to see any facts from you just incorrect opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

Latest in Irish Times. Unbelievable hype.

https://www.irishtimes.com/transport/2023/01/20/proposed-changes-to-dublin-airport-flight-paths-inadequate-say-communities/

One residents' representative spoke of: "research into potential health implications from aircraft noise, including stress, increased blood pressure and diabetes as a consequence of chronic exposure".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Several residents raised the issue of fuel odours from low-flying aircraft.

Hard to take this sort of thing seriously, seems every crackpot has to have their spake

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Gobshites. Thousands live right beside the m50, that's infinitely worse. ..

As it happens I went to that meeting. I wasn't able to stay for all of it, but I heard the lady who you are referring to (who lives in Ridgewood, Swords) and I don't think she said "low-flying aircraft" which makes it sound a bit crackpot. She was clearly referring to the exhaust from departing aircraft at full throttle around 900 metres from the estate she lives in. I've definitely noticed the smell of aviation fuel driving along the road there, so it's not hard to imagine with wind conditions, it would be noticeable where she lives.

I think it was another resident of Boroimhe in Swords (also less than 1km from the runway) who said his windows were rattling. I'd well believe it.

Looking at maps and how much closer these estates are to the new runway, compared to other housing is to the old one, it looks to me like the current arrangements (with the North runway preferred for departures) needs to be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Another cohort with the paw out for free money.

They need facing down.

I live about 9 kms from the end of 28L, under the SW'ly climbout and even I get the occasional whiff of jetfuel when conditions are right. Its just part of living near a City and a busy Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Karppi

Departing aircraft do not “take off on full throttle”.

Another cohort with the paw out for free money.

I'd be fairly sure they'd prefer to see departures shifted to the South runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭prunudo

Times change, progress has to happen, infrastructure has to be built. Its something that people have to accept, because we can not contuine where vital projects are held up for years upon years by legal challenges and complaints. The runway has been built, it has opened, Dub will never return to the operations that it has used since mid 80s, time for people to accept that and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Karppi

Let’s not forget that the “new” runway has been in the County Development Plan for over 50 years. Talk about foresight and long range planning, unequaled by most countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

You can be damn sure that the arrivals will not be coming in over Malahide on 28R as a standard and 28L being the departure runway.

Swords is beside the airport as Santry is on the other side. Living near the airport will have noise at different times. And if they think they are rattling now, wait until they have the morning departures this summer. One behind the other from the get go.

You can be damn sure that the arrivals will not be coming in over Malahide on 28R as a standard and 28L being the departure runway.

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

New estates close to an airport there longer.shocker

Advertisement