Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost bins

Options
  • 19-01-2023 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all.

Here is a controversial question: a compost bin would not attract rats if you're careful what you add to the bin, keep churning the content, and you cover the bin from such intruders?

I'm getting a bit of stick from an in-law about my compost bin causing rat issues in their property that resides about 150 meters from my compost bin - I kid you not!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Rats like the warmth as well as the food from compost bin. If you are talking about a sealed container then it is fine. However a compost heap or built compost space will possibly attract the rats.

Rats also like raised beds as they are dryer and warmer than the ordinary ground.

Put out some weighed down traps and see what happens. Use chocolate or fat or peanut butter as bait.

I have a hot bin and last winter it was badly chewed on the outside by rats. I reinforced the base with heavy plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MossyTracks

I have a strong-plastic compost bin and I always water the compost in the summer, so it doesn't dry out and get really hot. I turn the compost every 2 weeks so the waste is distributed well. I also do a 50:50 of branches:food , so the compost mix produces good quality compost. I've noticed no rat droppings around or near the bin, so I think I'm doing something right.

I forget to mention that the complaining individual keeps animals, so the dispersed grain on the ground might attract rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Your compost bin is not the problem as it is properly managed. Any food left out for pets will attract the rats and mice. I've seen rats eating happily from bird feeders.

However you will probably never convince the neighbours!!

Very true! I'll just need to ensure I'm a model composter and not let them get ahead of me. Responsible gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I forget to mention that the complaining individual keeps animals, so the dispersed grain on the ground might attract rats.

Tell them to stfu then. We have chickens and other foul and their food attracts rats. Tell your relative to sort their act out and start dealing with their rat problem because you don't want rats in your compost.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Very good point 🤣! Some people are blind to their own ways, and like stirring up nonsense to benefit themselves.

I need to be less formal whilst gritting my teeth, and use a more expansive vocabulary 🤬!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

Have the normal plastic compost bins that are open to the ground on the bottom. Have had rats tunnel up 2 or 3 feet to the fresher fruit/veg waste on top. You’d know if you had them. Chew signs in the food or things you put in are gone the next day. Have a live trap that I load with peanut butter that fits in to the bin. That works well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

I've that situation myself currently. Wouldn't be the model composter and the odd bit of cooked food does end up in the compost. (bin 150m from house)

Last week I thought I was smart putting slates underneath to stop the bastards.

They actually ate through the lid of the compost bin over the weekend I've found.

Any advice? Guessing a couple of rat traps / poison around the bin would help but any risks with that? Last thing I want is the dog bringing a nice poisoned rat to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Hi, I haven't read all of this thread but I've done a bit of quick searching for this problem but haven't found a similar post here so forgive me if it's already been asked. This year I decided to use a compost bin, I add banana skins, veg peels, egg shells, leaves, green stuff, cardboard, and no cooked food, and I've now got a cloud of flies every time I open it. Is this something I should be worrying about, or do something about? Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's too much food waste leading to a cooler pile. Add more nitrogen rich grass cuttings to heat up the bin. It deters flies and give better compost in less time. Bury fresh additions to the bin rather that just tossing them in top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Advertisement