Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom PC Build

Options
  • 16-01-2023 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new pc, mainly for gaming. I'm not a fan of AMD, so I would appreciate an Intel build. Please share some of the builds you think could be cool and without need for upgrade for next 2/3 years.

1. What is your budget? [€3000] - Without VAT (The PC will be bought by a business entity, you can present builds up to 3k without VAT)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming] - All recent releases, in ultra quality

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No] No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] Hard Drive.

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No] No - I have 2 gaming monitors, 1 MS, 280 freq rate

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.] - N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080/No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] Yes

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] Any method

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days] during January/February

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.] No need

If you have a sample build yourself, use Fluffy's script to format it nicely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AMD 7800X3D/7900X3D (release February) will be the best gaming CPUs, bar none.

Intel's best chip (13900K) can barely stay ahead of the 5800X3D which costs half as much. Such is the power of 3D V-Cache.

But if you can't wait, you buy a 5800X3D and then decide if you want to spend 1k on a AMD RX 7900 XT or 1400 on a Nvidia RTX 4080. Because in gaming, CPU is secondary. GPU is all that matters. Heck, you could even afford a 4090.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/rgyPk9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (€343.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer A35 A-RGB CPU Cooler (€37.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-E WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€144.52 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (€91.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Kingston NV2 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€135.93)

Case: BitFenix Prodigy M 2022 ARGB MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€87.89 @ Caseking)

Power Supply: NZXT C1000 (2022) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€154.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €996.02

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-16 17:45 CET+0100

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭cornholio509

@Thorinak .

Its kinda hard to suggest anything at the moment . AMD v intel performance is at best minor differences . Especially at 1080p when you go to the higher end your GPU becomes the bottleneck . i am looking forward to AMDs 7000 series X3D parts . When it comes to gaming its highly probable we will have a new gaming CPU king . I would say wait for benchmarks and see .

Not been a fanboy here . Intels K series CPUs performance is looking strong currently . My only grip is the non K varients are locked down . On AMDs side i like where things are going but there seems to be little inovation . I hope they dont fall into the old trap and stagnate again . Competition is currently making things interesting .

Now as for your build you can pretty much go high end on both platforms with a high end GPU and till come under budget .IF you are going to build i would suggest first deciding what GPU you want . Then build around that since its going to be the most expensive single part of the build .

As for what K.O kiki put up i can deny that it is still one of the most viable builds out there for gaming . That said there is no upgrade path and the intel system will leave you in the same boat . So i would do a little more research and see is it viable to build now or wait and see .

Yeah but TBF apart from AM4 (Ryzen 1000 -> 5800X3D) there has never been a platform that lasted more than 2-3 years for upgrades because sockets & power requirements went crazy. Usually you ended up paying stupid prices for 1-generation upgrade, or rebuild the whole machine.

The smart money is to get a CPU that's as good as the current consoles, and invest in your GPU & monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Thorinak

Thank you for the comments guys.

On the GPU side, I will be going for an 4080.

On the CPU side I was thinking about 19 3900KF

Regarding monitors, I already have 2 high end monitors.

What do you think?

13900KF is wasted money.

You want to play games?

5800X3D or i5-13600K. And the X3D is the better buy.

You will be GPU-limited anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Ok, a few things here.

You don't say why your not a "fan" of AMD. I've always used Intel (going back to the 90's), but I had to switch to AMD in my recent build a month ago. Put simply, the Z790 is a terrible platform compared to X670E in terms of future-proofing. The fact is that the intel marketing is a lie. You will always see Z790 motherboards described as "having PCIe Gen 5 GPU slot AND PCIe Gen5 NVMe slots". This is not accurate. The reality is that it is PCIe Gen5 GPU OR PCIe Gen 5 NVMe from the CPU. This is all down to the simple fact that there are only 16 PCIe lanes from the CPU. If you put an SSD in that NVMe slot, then your GPU is limited to just 8 lanes. Yes, they have NVMEs connected to the chipset, but they are not as good and intended for secondary storage. Add to that the fact that Alder Lake is at end-of-life, so you won't be able to upgrade your CPU (you never really can with Intel as they only support a patform for 2 years).

With the X670e from AMD, you have 20 lanes from the CPU, guaranteeing that you can have both a PCIe Gen 5 GPU AND SSD. This may not seem like a big thing, but with DirectStorage being hailed as the next big thing in gaming, it seems like a terrible thing to do to build an expensive, high-end PC that is already bottle-necked in this regard. While it is difficult at this stage to predict how much of any impact the SSD speed will have on overall performace (or even how much of an impact DirectStorage will have), it is clear that it will have at least some impact, so why take the chance?

While there is no guarantee as to how long AMD will support AM5, it is likely to be in the 4-6 year range, so you can also easily upgrade the CPU in a few years without having to start from scratch. Thus, with the AM5, you are in a good position to assume that you can support the latest state-of-the-art tech for at least the next few years (and high-end for another few years after). And the fact that it is cheaper is a nice bonus!

If you are serious about not considering AMD, then I would suggest that you wait (if possible) until the next generation of Intel motherboards/CPUs, which should be launced in about 9-10 months as they are expected to be increasing the number of PCIe lanes from the CPU. For me, I had been waiting to do a build, but when I saw the Z790 specs, it was clear it needed to be avoided.

The other thing to call out is a 4080 with a 1080p monitor? The 4080 is for 4K gaming. If you are only on 1080p, a GPU a fraction of that price will be plenty (a 3070 or a 6800 would be more than enough). But it also seems like a massive waste to be spending 3 grand (ex VAT) on a build and only using a 1080p monitor. It would be akin to getting a UHD Bluray player, building up an expensive UHD Bluray library, and then watching them on a B&W 14" CRT. Really, you should be going for a decent 4K monitor (or, at the very least, a $hit-hot QHD).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

This is all down to the simple fact that there are only 16 PCIe lanes from the CPU

Are you sure? According to the specs there are 20 CPU PCIe lanes that can work in a 16x + 4x configuration.

Yes it appears so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

To be fair he is using a 280hz monitor.

While I would argue anything past 144hz and you'd want to be an absolute world-class pro gamer to really get anything out of it, driving maximum frames would require a seriously high-end CPU and GPU.

Personally I think 1440P 165hz is the sweet spot.

That's the main reason, I am looking into a better CPU/GPU.

I might be open to consider AMD, after reading the comments, my biggest blocker to it, have been a poor experience I had before. Mainly on the Temperature side, etc.

Can someone please post a full build, with rams, cooling, case, etc? Would really appretiate it.

• Advertisement

In terms of the GPU, what is more important to you? The FPS or the quality? Because, in your OP, you mention Ultra, but now you seem to indicate you want very high FPS. If image quality is important, then increasing your resolution will make a huge improvement (and, on your budget, you can afford it). However, if reaching the highest FPS you can, then stick with 1080p.

The problem with going for a 4080 or similar card for 1080p is that you are paying for a lot of gpu that you simply won't use on 1080p like VRAM etc, Likewise, many games are FPS limited, so a vastly more powerful card won't necessarily add any real benefit beyond a certain point (depending on the game).

In terms of quality, is Ray Tracing important to you? If not, then you will typically find AMD card better for FPS per dollar. Likewise, do you have an opinion on DLSS/FSR?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

AMD CPU's were utterly horrible for gaming for a long time, but since Ryzen came out they turned it around, particularly with the 3rd gen, now with 5th and 6th gen they're basically on-par or better than Intel depending on the metrics used.

I wouldn't have touched AMD either before Ryzen, I stopped buying Intel with Ryzen 3rd gen.

@Thorinak 

CPU wise i would wait a few weeks as the X3d variants of the 7000 AMD cpus are about to launch . Gaming wise we have no real information except for AMDs non descript benchmarks . So wait for third party benchmarks and see .

AMD Ryzen 9 7900 box with Wraith Prism cooler €490

ASRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning €290

G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB DDR5 6000mhz cl36 €196

EVGA SuperNOVA G6 80+Gold 850 watts €162

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX4080 Gaming OC 16GB €1326

Kingston Fury Renegade M.2 2280 TLC NVMe 1TB pcie gen 4 €102

Prices of the above was a quick online browse came roughly to €2367 .

I didnt list a case simply because people have preferences for certain brands and style of case . I am partial to the Lian li 011 dynamic . Others prefer corsair or nzxt . Just make sure if you going to be over clocking later whatever case you buy can fit a 360 AIO cooler . you would probably add €400 to the pricve for a decent case and AOI . The wraith cooler wont do well for thermals if you overclock it at any point .

I didnt recomend the 7900x as they are power hungry . The 7900 is lower powered and enabling Percission boost overdrive gets you the same performance while consuming less power .THe 7700x isnt worth it as the 7900 has 12 cores 24 threads and a higher base clock with the same 125watt rating for 100 euro more . That said if the 7700X3d gets launched next month than i would recomend that instead .

Now i didnt link the parts as it was a quick browse through GPU tracker so prices may vary as things go on offer . You might find stuff chaper on amazon , case kinds.de or other PC sites so do shop around .

Now this might be well in excess of what you need so feel free to make any changes you want . THat said the intel build will cost roughly the same . just swap out the cpu for the 13900 and the motherboabord for an Z790 and youspend about 100 euro more .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For 3k without VAT or monitor I'd go with a 4090. The extra grunt over a 4080 will be more than you'll get from spending the money on better CPU, motherboard, RAM or SSD.

It's a beast.

The 4090 is only around 10% faster in games, except maybe at 4K where the lead is up-to 20%. It is not worth an extra 600+ (40%+) more money.

Source? Below suggests 30% more FPS at 4k. Source.

My 4090 FE was €1830. The 4080 is around €1330. So 38% more money for 30% more performance.

But since the objective here is to max out performance for a 3k budget (excl. VAT), I don't see the point in settling for the 4080 unless it proves impossible to source a 4090 or there's some other aspect of the build which is severely compromised.

@Lumen THe rtx 4080 can be got close to MSRP excluding VAT . the 4090 cannot . the cheapest 4090 i can come across at the moment is €2000 euro b4 vat . SO no your chart is meaningless here in the EU . Even doubly so at 1080 p where bottleneck is the CPU . In this case the 4080 is better value for money and the op gets exactly what he wants

EDIT :

WHat i mean by he can get what he wants is , the op has the option of a r9 7900 and x670E . Or an Intel I9 13900k without changing out everything in the build .

Loads here in the low 1900s incl VAT. What am I missing? Do you mean from a supplier in Ireland?

But I did miss the bit about 1080p and for that even a 4080 is fairly pointless, in fact spending 3k+VAT on a 1080p gaming machine seems nuts.

From what I've seen of CPU benchmarks the difference between mid and high end current gen CPUs is only like 200FPS vs 220FPS average, i.e. 10%.

I usually use TechPowerUp for game benchmarks. I should probably start checking both TPU and TechSpot/HardwareUnboxed.

@Lumen No not just ireland . i wouldnt price anything here in this country as most places here charge way over the odds for PC parts . Maybe i am missing a few sites that you have access too but in general any site i checked out the GPU seem to have gone up in price . ALso thanks for the link to that site . I am going to book mark it and keep and eye on pricing with them aswell .

AT 1080P the 4090 is bottlenecked no matter what high end CPU is used . i think counterstrike is 600-605 fps maybe higher . AT that stage the fps difference is within margin of error . That suggests a CPU bottleneck . A 4080 will at least show some variatin depending on the CPU that is outside the margin of error between runs . Not to mention a 4080 is no slouch either when it comes to 4k gaming . Thorinak has the option to go 4k down the road .

• Advertisement

@cornholio509 wrote

ALso thanks for the link to that site . I am going to book mark it and keep and eye on pricing with them aswell

FWIW I found that linked directly from the Nvidia Germany shop. I was quite surprised by the closeness to MSRP but the official Nvidia link suggests it's legit.

You're right about bottlenecking of course. I wonder what the situation will look like in a year's time when more UE5 titles are out. The performance of Fortnite (AFAIK the only UE5 title out so far) has been eye opening (bad) under highest settings at 4k, and that looks like a cartoon.

FOrtnite is cartoony to intice kids to play . The more catoony the look the better . With parents these days using consoles and PC to baby sit the kids , its a cash cow for its developers . SO upgrading to the UE5 engine was no brainer . I look at it and see a 4k rainbow puke generic shooter . Kids see it and its a shiney new thing they want . I wouldnt ecpect much out of it as a benchmark for the Unreal 5 engine . the witcher 4 , a new tombraider and many more games sue to launch soon using the UE5 engine . We will see then .

Unfortunately we are at a stage of GPu limbo . Something a kin to crysis levels of performance when it comes to GPUs . WHat i mean by that is the latest and greatest is only available to those who will part with thousands just for a GPU to play at 4k and not worry about FPS with everything enabled . So until we get a more budget GPU cables of what a 3080 can do i think we are out of luck as to what developers will code for . Unless the mainstream user can use every option without major performance hits . Maybe the next 4060 if decently priced could see 4k becoming the norm .

Maybe the next 4060 if decently priced could see 4k becoming the norm

Doubtful, given the ~€1,000 4070 Ti is only barely capable of 60fps ultra in modern games (in some games, is reliant on DLSS hit that mark, and in many games, requires DLSS to get a consistant 60+ fps).

I remember when the 960 was touted as a "4K GPU". The idea was that 4K would be regarded as the mainstream resolution in the years to come (and that 8K would be what high end cards these days would be aimed at). But then came the rise of crypto and consumers showed they were happy to pay more (well, they weren't happy - they would bitch and moan, but they would still buy them) so AMD/Nvidia decided it was much easier to just increase the price on models with each generation without offering significant performance increases. As a result, the resolutions we were on in 2016 (1080p, 1440p and high-end gamers moving to 4K) have remained the same and are the xx60 models are still firmly geared towards 1080p/1440p market with the xx70 models aimed at high-end 1440p and entry-level 4K. All this, despite the models having more than doubled in mrsp (and almost trebled in terms of end-price to consumers here in europe) in the few years since the 900 series.

@dotsman

There is more to that arguement than GPU pricing . However lets not talk about it in this thread . IF you want to start a new thread about GPUs and pricing v 4k i will gladly comment there . Unfortunately we are starting to derail this thread and THorinak wants advice on a build . Not us arguing about screen resolution and GPU costs .

@Thorinak 

AMD ryzen r9 system i listed above works out cheaper than intel with the 19 13900k . Just going by pricing off PC parts picker there is about 200-300 euro b4 tax difference . Again you can price it out yourself using PC parts picker as a guidline but its always better to shop around . Although it may not seem it at the moment we are still in the midst of an electronics shortage . So prices are still inflated so look for random sales or even budled hardware .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Andrew_M_

@K.O.Kiki

Hi, could you recommend 25"-27" FullHD monitor for this setup (GPU RTX6070) please?

At the moment have two options:

LG 27GP850-B and Dell Alienware AW2523HF

Looking for something for similar price around 400eu.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Andrew_M_

Thanks for quick respond, already checked and compared with rtings.com (that's how found those two monitors:)

But is it makes sense to go for higher than FullHD resolution on RTX6070 and current setup? Dell monitor with 360hz refresh rate looks better, it's on sale on Irish Dell site and offers 3 years free warranty/replacement.

And what about any other models from similar price range? (M27Q is too expensive)

Could you recommend something from your own experience, please?

Thank you

Post edited by Andrew_M_ on

Advertisement