Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed.

Options
  • 19-01-2023 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Getting married in May. I currently own a house which is classed as my principal private residence. My future wife owns a house that is her principal private residence. I'm aware that the CGT exemption on the sale of my PPR expires a year after marriage. My house is rented to a relative for a fairly modest and moninal cash amount and I have no great desire to sell, apart from the fact that I can currently sell without paying CGT. House was bought for €200 and would currently be worth €270/280 with approx €110 left on the mortgage. Any advise or anything I am missing on this?

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

You need to talk to an accountant.

PPR relief does not apply during rentals of the property, there is a partial relief calculation which will need to be applied if you sell.

You will need to nominate a PPR with Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rugbyman80

Nope. First house still classed as my PPR.............technically still living there ;)

Will of course speak to an accountant......just looking for some background/unofficial advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Get ready to sell or ready to rent it through the books

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Best advice you'll ever get, don't get married

• Registered Users Posts: 68,756 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Advice on tax avoidance or evasion is not be sought here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement