Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacinda Ardern to step down as New Zealand PM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

You know what is a good comparison between Ireland and NZ though?

We both have a leader that's internationally fawned over while their policies exacerbate a spiralling housing crisis, a collapsing healthcare system and an economy and society utterly captured by corporate interests.

These are among the reasons that Arden's popularity at home does not match her image abroad, in many ways NZ's problems are a mirror of our own and in every measure that matters to your average citizen she has, just like Leo, proved to be an absolute waffling incompetent disaster.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And how would they have fared better if covid overwhelmed the healthcare sector? Healthcare workers died in droves here in the UK due to a lack of PPE.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Yes, she certainly triggered all the right people.

Hated by incels and conspiracy loons. Specific people, not just 'some people' in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I honestly don't get why people use this as a basis for anything. I find more often than not that it simply reveals the level of spite that certain people live with. "If they hate it, I must love it", is honestly the most bizarre approach to life, as it literally allows you to be driven almost solely by your enemies. You think you're rebelling against them, but you're really just allowing them to control you.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

It's not really about life is it? It's about life on the Internet.

• She always seemed like a decent enough politician to me. You can't really win with a lot of these topics, including COVID.

NZ was in a position where it was able to attempt to keep it out for long enough to get the vaccines rolled out and that probably did make life a lot easier.

Seems though it's just a case of you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You're right, political support has nothing do with life. It's just the internet, there's no real world consequences that flow from it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

No issue with wearing PPE and social distancing if it's warranted. Strict lockdowns as in the 2km limit, everywhere shutting down, the general financial doom, was bonkers. Can only imagine how the people of NZ (and god forbid China) must've felt as it was even worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

The bar for being a good politician has been lowered to such an extent, for me, that spending your time in office genuinely trying to deliver for your constituents makes you a great politician. This is regardless of where on the political spectrum you fall. If your time in office is only a stepping stone to an eight figure net worth then your decisions during that time reflects that goal. Doing the best by your constituents and achieving that 'post in office wealth' are usually incompatible, as the paymaster you have really been serving is going to be the source of that wealth.

I don't know if the level of political discourse has lowered, generally not just Boards, or higher engagement now encompasses a greater number of people through social media etc., but having everything and everyone distilled into woke and non-woke really is the most puerile, idiotic development I have seen in my lifetime. You can be someone who says outright lies and face no political repercussions because your 'team' will make allowances as you are on their delineated correct side of woke.

Going into office for the right reasons and not lying makes you a God level politician and on par with rocking horse sh*t these days.

She dealt with covid brilliantly. Went for zero-covid policy when it made sense for NZ. They had stadiums full of people while we couldn't travel 2km's. Sure they had lockdowns like everyone else when there was an outbreak, but there was a clear goal in mind and everyone could get back to normal when that goal was reached. It's exactly what I wanted for Ireland but it was unrealistic for many reasons. Eventually she ditched the policy with the arrival of omicron when it no longer made sense, unlike China.

Wasn’t this the one who went on maternity leave while prime minister?

I'm guessing you don't talk like this in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Or dinner bell to Covid deniers?

Anxious to agree, and get another dig in, eh??

All of this bile about a leader of a country, far, far away ? .

(Not you though , it seems fair enough. edit )

Nothing to do with the fact that she is a young successful female leader of the Labour Party in NZ, who most people in her country lauded for her management through the worst of Covid but are now feeling the pinch of worldwide high inflation?

But somehow this far away leader is the focus of others venom.

She seemed like a good person to me who had her country's best interests at heart but the post trauma of it all, along with childbirth and other monumental personal upheavals has her reassessing her priorities. Very understandable and as she has shown before, human.

Good for her...I admire her for all she has done in her country, that she now sees she needs to step aside, and wish her the best whether she chooses a hiatus in her career or to go on to further work internationally.!

Jacinta Ardern is a role model for many young women and those in politics especially.

The fact that that is upsetting or annoying to some here is a reflection on themselves more than her.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Jesus. That's an incredibly defensive reply to someone who wasn't even overly critical. Most of their post was largely complementary. For all your accusations about distance, you seem to have a vested interest yourself, meaning that distance was irrelevant when it suited you.

I don't know where he works or who he is referring to when he says many...

I would very much think that that is a minority view and while everybody recognises there were cancellations and delays because of Covid most working in healthcare are very aware why that is and was necessary, especially pre vaccination.

Her handling of Covid was extreme because NZ is an example of zeroCovid that most of the world could not have even dreamed of, as early as March 2020..

Impossible here.

Her comments about Ireland were when we had our "meaningful Christmas" wave of deaths and infections, which many here were painfully aware of.

Her practicality in recognising that Omicron being so infectious and still less severe, and drpping the zero Covid approach then, puts her in stark contrast to those espousing zero Covid on this side of the world.

Loons on all sides in this tbh!

• Advertisement

I work alongside a few doctors right beside a major London hospital and I never once experienced them voice the view that covid was trivial or akin to the common cold. It was rightly treated with the utmost seriousness by most in the medical and scientific professions.

The vacuous virtue signalling from the deniers is ultimately a reflection on them. Ardern gets hated by the far right, conspiracists and other trash because she's a woman and a highly successful one at that. Under her stewardship, New Zealand may have even been the best at handling the virus in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭griffin100

Is that you Paddy Cosgrave?

Latest figures suggest there were 23 death in healthcare workers in Ireland due to Covid, and I haven't seen any definitive linking of their deaths to their jobs or a lack of PPE (but when the claims hit the courts I'm sure we'll know more). To put that in context there are tens of thousands of nurses and HCA's working in the HSE. Every death is a tragedy for a family, but it's simply wrong to say healthcare workers died in their droves from Covid due to a lack of PPE or otherwise. They did as a group however suffer from Covid infections at a higher rate than other groups (as did their families suggests some of the research).

The UK may be a different story as there seems to be a lack of reporting there around NHS worker deaths due to Covid.

As to whether a zero Covid policy was right for NZ, that's for them to decide but no doubt it saved many lives pre vaccine availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

She and Australia's first and only female PM, Julia Gillard, were both victims of incessant right wing mysogonist trolls. In Australia's case, they weren't just hiding in the digital realm, they were out loud and proud in it's Parliament and Senate.

Richard Shaw, an expert in politics at New Zealand’s Massey University, said Ardern had suffered a torrent of “toxic digital abuse” in recent years from misogynist and anti-vaccination social media users.

In January 2020, a New Zealand man sent two emails to prime minister Jacinda Ardern: one threatening to “personally wipe [her] off this **** planet” and another saying he would blow her head off. It was the violent culmination of 88 lengthy emails sent over a four month period to government officials in which he referred to them as criminals and terrorists.

Last week, the man, Michael Cruickshank, 56, was unapologetic as he was sentenced to one year in prison for threatening to kill the prime minister....

Female MPs are battling a constantly rising tide of misogynistic abuse – from rape and death threats, to derogatory comments about appearances and questioning of their qualifications – much of which is being spewed out online by people hiding behind anonymous social media accounts.

And true to form, this thread is full of them too.

The attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband would be another great example. Benazir Bhuto was assassinated with a bomb. The male hatred levelled at women in politics is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Looking at her announcing it on the news she looks devastated. I think either someone knows something that could destroy her family relationship or she has cancer maybe Terminal cancer.

She was a good leader from what we seen on the news with empathy and compassion.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The whole "people hate her because she's a woman" narrative is completely lacking in substance. It's the usual feminist approach to everything; "if you don't like a woman on our side, you hate all women". Politicians are abused because they are politicians, it's always been the way. When males dominated politics it was just abuse, yet now with female politicians it isn't just abuse, it's "sexist" abuse"

Seems a bit like putting yourself first. Prime minister of New Zealand is more of a full time job IMHO. It just feels like that’s a good politician would show up to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

High inflation

Major Healthcare problems

Record rents

Record house prices( now falling)

Record homelessness

Etc.

They seem to have the same problems as most other nations at the moment. She hasn't been able to fix any of them. So you could hardly call her a success.

Interestingly she brought in immigration controls just like the left wing Gov in Denmark.

The sort of policy that gets right of centre politicians branded as far right.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/17/new-zealand-to-cut-low-skill-immigration-and-refocus-on-wealthy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

partner works in the royal london, they were absolutely battered during covid, lots of nurses have left because of burn out since. it may have been a common cold for most people but it totally f**ked hospitals here and they're still really feeling the effects.

• Advertisement

I have edited that out as he was not being unfair to Jacinta but to other posters maybe. And I was being unfair to him . Apologies @bucketybuck

Advertisement