Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Taking inflation into account, that 50p has probably now become over €3, and at least the tea and coffee that's now being sold doesn't taste like dishwater.🤣

It's only the same as the idea of bottled water. When that first appeared, I thought it was a stupid idea, and that no one would be stupid enough to pay for it. Now of course, it's for sale everywhere. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fred74

Tralee is a small enough town , more so when you add the over priced rates and rent. You would have to sell a lot of coffee to even make a small profit , that Costa a fortune must be a fiver for some of them. I rather support a small business myself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, how bad is the flooding? Can you drive the N86 through Camp to Tralee? Need to make that drive tomorrow a.m. Seems like there's a lot of flooding everywhere but kerrycoco info is not that detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

Don't know but I met someone in town this afternoon for coffee 5pm ish and they drove in that road from Castlegregory side and never even mentioned flooding!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I read in the Kerrys Eye that Hilsers are leaving their Dominic Street premises in April and just running out of the Castle Street store. They said their lease is up in the Dominick street one and they own the place in Castle street, so it makes sense.

Brudairs looks to be totally closed now.

• Advertisement

Brudairs hasn't been open long has it. Before Christmas , shame to see a new business closed so fast . High rents and rates don't help. I think the market is saturated with coffee shops already , In Tralee plus you have Costa and Starbucks in Tralee . People will support them before a new small business. It's very hard to survive then.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Brudairs was around for donkeys years, I believe retirement was a factor but all the other points about rent, rates, etc are valid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Stopped by the Elvery's in their new location for the first time yesterday. Nice shop, much easier to find things than the old multi-story place.

Cashier told us that the owners now own that building, so rent won't be a problem for them. Apparently the old site was 'registered' so no major remodels could be done, which was a big problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Brudairs was open for years!

Maybe you are thinking of Boherbean which was only open since August and seems to have already closed down!

Sorry that's the one. My mistake.

• Advertisement

Its a nice store. I never used to go into their old store, but I've been in the new one about 4 times already and bought a few bits!

Argos are pulling out. The writing was on the wall for them for long time. They had no stock in for ages. Sad to hear about people losing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

Any one any recommendations for opticians in town? Prefer local over chains like specsavers but looking for recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Always found Specsavers very thorough. Went to the guy at fairies Cross medical centre last year after several recommendations. I won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I see Iceland in listowel is closing.

The Listowel thread is still open though, just about 😛

I wonder what that means for the Tralee store. It never seems busy to me when I pass by. I have very rarely been in there.

There looks to be a new Asian supermarket going in where Horans Fruit & Veg used to be in Rock st. Their sign was up yesterday evening and work going on inside. I think it is called Kingdom Spices.

• Advertisement

According to the closing down notice, the Tralee store is offering home delivery to Listowel, and I wouldn't like to guess how that pans out, or how much they're going to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

Anyone any experience with Tangneys opticians? It's between them and CH that im thinking about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I’ve not tried it have meant to try a few other coffee places in Tralee but end up going to the usual costa/Starbucks or the daily grind. The price of coffee is gone up everywhere even in my local coffee spot it’s gone up since the pandemic.

If it’s coffee to go I’d prefer it’s a nice treat from having to make it at home especially if you are out and about it’s just easier grab a coffee to go.

Unfortunately The Glasshouse & Boho Burger (beside Lidl) are closing permanently. They are keeping The Ugly mug open though. Sad to hear. I regularly went into the Glasshouse. Lovely Staff there too.

Between them and Boherbean, Times are tough!

I see Mizzoni pizza are reopening, this time in Ashe St in the old Mozarts place. It's currently Soparis diner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Sad to hear. Although some of these closures are somewhat inevitible I think. Oversaturated market (of coffee shops/brunch spots) and less disposable income is a bit of a perfect storm. Hopefully no more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Hello . Is the Zip Yard open? I left something in there a few weeks ago and I called their number and it rang out.

Zip yard is definitely open. Passed it a while ago and it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Thanks Ciarrai. They're probably just very busy. I pop up the Tralee during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

I actually really like Iceland but for a limited range of stuff obviously and mainly stocking up on frozen items like veg. It's really handy as you can literally pull up right outside the door, it's never busy though and seldom even is there someone permanently on the till, they usually just come when they see a customer there.

Some of their Christmas offers are brilliant, veg/roasties etc plus turkey joint, ideal for small number or someone watching the pennies. Used to have great prawns but seem to have changed them recently and not so good. Can't be viable long term though!

Advertisement