Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow play at your home club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I usually go for long uncomfortable stares if i don't know the culprits. If I know them I have it out with them after their round.

Don't get involved in playing up their arse, it is terrible etiquette and you will actually spoil your own game? If you catch up a few holes they should massively be letting you through, but that is their call. You should not attempt to ask, 99/100 groups will give you the option. If they don't just hang back for 10 minutes. Take your time.

Never let slow play spoil your own round, two wrongs won't make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Do people want to see changes to course design and set up to speed up the rounds? As golfgrafix said it's not as simple as making the course easier, but I'd hazard a guess the majority of things that would speed up play would make it easier. Do people actually want to see fairways widened, hazards removed, greens slower, etc?

My impression is that people don't want to answer the question. We want the speed of rounds 20 / 30 years ago, but not the courses. So we talk about bags being left on the wrong sides of the greens and extra practice swings instead of attributing any of the blame to the course and course set up.

I would like to see three balls become the norm though. They're significantly faster and to me more sociable. You end up talking as a group of three instead of two twos.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

4 ball is still very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

We all understand course design and the impact . And , you should avoid joing these clubs.

But don't underestimate slow walkers and groups taking 2 mins extra on a green on any course.

Just one player alone can be a min too slow on shots and in particular greens...

Thread is about home courses...some groups are losing a hole by the 4th...this is not course design...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Looking for your ball also. If you have managed to banana the fucker into a thorn bush let it rest, it always hated you and your bag.

Always blame your bad golf on your ball, stance , a divot , the weather , your partner , the guy in the red jumper in front, the car that beeped on the road. Never blame it on your clubs, your clubs are the best thing in existence, you have already told everyone that, remember?

Never ever blame yourself for playing crap, you are better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

4 balls are a disaster, I wouldn't join a club if it was 4 balls every sat/sun morning.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

We're always 3 balls, unless there is a team event on that is either a 2 man or 4 man team

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seems to be but anywhere I've been a member it's 3 balls.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Are the rounds noticeably quicker because of it, or does it not have as much of an effect as you'd think?

• Advertisement

Yes, definitely. Normal weekly comps always under 4 hours. Might end up at 4 on a medal day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Over a 8 hour period you will get 32 less players out. At weekends this is critical. If you are willing to pay a higher sub or round fee for 3 ball, that’s fair enough. Remember, this will have a knock on affect on all club income like pro shop etc. for most clubs it’s not an option.

shot gun starts are not workable either, it puts pressure on the pro shop and other facilities in a very short window and most clubs do t have big enough facilities to manage that situation twice a day or afford to staff it in that manner. Even the car park would be an issue. Plus it’s not the best utilization of the course as a asset.

course design is more about having the fairway at 30 wide in the landing zone for the average golfer which is 16 hcp in Ireland. You can keep in narrow for the low guys further up. Faster greens tend to improve scores once pins not on slopes.

someone else mentioned fringes at end of fairways, this is a real issue for older and lady golfers and is basically a extra shot for them.

also tee carries, far to long on some holes, a good example is a lot of the new courses in the last 30 years.

scoring format is another issue. We play far to many stroke comps which are actually a rare comp in the UK clubs. Championship tees should be twice a year and not once a month.

finally, education and respect and some manners by certain players would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed on too many stroke comps and comps off the blues

Actually getting bored of them if anything - On every month at a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Whether playing from forward tees or from the tips ,the greatest factor on pace of play will be course maintenance/set up.

Large areas of heavy rough/ long grass. Trees with low branches and heavy under growth. US open style set ups. Most of us are hackers. Resort style set up with minimal rough(easy find your ball) take a swipe move on = quicker pace of play.

Played last weekend with large society with shorter hitting playing partners . Did not effect pace , they were able to play 2nd shots to green while group ahead were putting . We were always in place to play when required, Balls were easily found unless they arrived in destinations where they deserved to go missing.

Slow players will always be slow. How they are dealt with. Avoid avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

3 balls are the dream for me. Unfortunately we're 4 balls at our club.

It was 3 balls for a period during Covid (can't remember the reason for it, probably because someone's dog suggested it would help eliminate the virus) and the pace of play was fantastic. 3.5 hour rounds were then norm. Played many in just over 3.

Far better from a social point of view as well imo. A 3 ball will generally join in on the same conversation throughout the round while I often find that 4 balls split into two 2's for a chunk of the round.

Slow play isn't a huge issue at our place though. The benefits of a country club where everyone knows everyone and people aren't shy to let it be known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

What is a slow round really? Most courses have a time that would be considered standard. Ours is about the 4 hr mark. Imo nobody should be put under pressure to speed up if they are within that speed.

There are guys out there who seem to want to run around the course. That is their issue.

Personally I like to let those guys through as I hate them up my arse. But other golfers won’t want to let them through if they are going a reasonable pace themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Every club has them….

We call them ‘The Men’s Shed Group’

I don’t blame any club for not tackling these dudes, folk in voluntary positions would be mad to involve themselves in that stuff when there are so many fond of ‘lawyering up’ and being as obstinate as burros if ‘censured’ for anything.

If I am behind a ‘Men’s Shed ‘ four ball and one could cover the four of them with a child’s blanket from tee one to tee eighteen,I just offer it up.

Some people just play golf to talk…… once you accept that it’s easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,999 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

4balls - Stableford

3balls - Stroke

In most clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

I have to agree with you on this, there tends to be an obsession around slow play, some warranted, mostly not. If you're playing golf on a Sat/Sun morn then you have to allow 4hrs for a round. Give the rat race nature of modern life, spending 4hrs walking in the fresh air isn't the worst thing in the world. As long as golfers aren't doing silly crap that causes undue delays, everyone needs to chill and accept that golf is a large time commitment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'll throw in my 2c having played a 15-hole comp over the weekend in 3h50m as a 4ball. There was a 3ball behind which caught us a few times on the front 9 they slowed up after. I mentioned letting them through after the 3rd but they didn't seem to be bothered to keep up the pace.

Tbh we did have to look for a couple of plugged balls but nothing outlandish. Most of the hold-up was around the green by a couple of lads in the group. It was generally due to leaving the trolley/wedge/putter on the wrong side of the green and marking card before moving on. Tbf the lads are relatively new to the game but it still was about 10-15 mins extra. I found myself and 4th guy teeing up first on each hole and sometimes waiting for the others to catch up or move out of eye-line. The two guys in question were actually quick in addressing their shot/putt and hitting it. There was also rope covering a wide area near each green so it did contribute somewhat.

If it was a medal/major then that pace would have been normal. For a regular stableford it's a little slow but not particularly notable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

Noone thinks they are the slow group.

course setup is the biggest contributor to slow play. Easy to find a ball means no wasting time looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm often in a slow group. I don't believe I'm too bad, although I do spend too long standing over the ball. I'm reminding myself of a couple of things before swinging. Occasionally I try to just hit it and hope that I'll do the things I normally remind myself of automatically, but I never to and I end up slicing the arse off the ball every second shot which certainly doesn't speed me up.

But two of the lads I play with regularly are high handicappers - 26 and 31. There's no getting away from the fact that they're going to hit a lot of shots. And plenty of these could be lost balls. And balls boned through a green into a bunker or whatever. Course set up / design has definitely slowed these guys down too - longer rough, more bunkers, elevated greens, longer courses. But when lads are averaging double bogies, trying to salvage triple bogies there's just no way of them being as fast as guys who are usually at least near the greens in regulation.

New handicap system doesn't help either with the crazy upper limits.

Was playing with 2 ladies a couple of weeks ago. The card I was marking had 22 shots for 9 holes. And my course sets a neutral slope for the Winter.

Thought it was funny when she remarked that she had "extra" shots on only 4 holes, meaning she only had 3 strokes on 4 of the holes, instead of the 2 on all the rest.

When a quad on a hole can still get you a point its going to slow things down every day out on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

I'm relatively new to golf, having taken it up later in life. I was quite nervous in the beginning. All this "slow play" and focus on "slow play" had me thinking I needed to sprint, to fling the club at the ball and then run to find it and declare them lost after 10 seconds. I lost a lot of balls, I made no progress other than my initial 28 handicap (issued after 3 cards handed in) and ended up at 35. Tee drives were a nightmare. Especially the 1st. The whole club membership standing and laughing. I bounced off a tree onto the practice putting green where lads screamed four and dove around for cover on a competition day one time. I bought a carry bag, I thought I'd play faster if I walked direct from ball location to ball location and not have to be leaving a trolly 50 feet away and then be walking back to it. I got so flustered. Were I not an old man with strong resilience I'd have given the game up. It is not welcoming on the face ft it. Hurry up, keep moving. Stop waiting. Am I really welcome, do I enjoy this?

But then, as you spend more time playing, you see there are other lads who are just the same as you. They may be low handicappers, but they too can hoik it into the trees, They too 3 putt. I'm a high handicapper and am a member in a parkland course and distance member on a links course. I play it as i find it. I actually get lower scores on the links course.

Sometimes I am around in 3 hours, sometimes 4.5. I feel no drive to be whooshing lads along, or feeling impatient with other lads. Only issue I ever had was a lad who got antsy as I wasn't standing between 63.5degrees and 180.768degrees when he was putting - I just took to standing beside his mate who he didn't seem to have an issue with. I play with another lad who would die if you offered to help him find a ball if he's not hit the fairway. He practically declares it lost before its travelled 10 foot from his club. The chap has played all his life and is utterly terrified of being accused of slow play. WTF?

I paly as I play. I do ready golf. I choose my club before I get to my ball, I do 1 practice swing (added because I learned if I don't I duff it). I mark my card on next tee.

I just don't get the impatience. Are people so terrified of their own thoughts and standing still for a minute or two with nothing but their own thoughts is beyond them?

I do be happy to be alive, able to be out with like minded people experiencing the best or worst a course and the weather can put up to us. The shared experience, looking forward to the post round visit to the clubhouse. I always go to the clubhouse for food after a round. I make sure to buy items from the pro shops too. They'll not be there if we as members don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭FazyLucker

As a time poor 30-something, slow play is my number 1 barrier to joining a golf club again. I would want to be the first on the time sheet every weekend and know that isn't feasible in most clubs. I also couldn't stomach a 4-ball every weekend either.

I have played lots of golf with all sorts of people and for me, the biggest issues with slow play are the incessant talkers (go find you ball and get ready), the dawdler (go get the flag if you have putted first, if you have putted second go get your bag and maybe head on to the next tee if it suits) and the high-handicapper who takes out a Rangefinder, takes 15 practice swings or 5 minutes reading a putt after hitting his provisional after 3 minutes looking for the first ball.

Everybody can have a bad hole or two but I think once you lose a full hole to the group in front, its time to pull over and let the next group on or make it up over a hole or two.

I get that clubs can't all afford to pay for course rangers but could they not offer the 5-day members a discount if they do course ranger for 1/2 a day every month or something? I know its getting in to logistics but even still, some clubs offer discounts for people to repair the fairways.

I get the "everybody should calm down" mantra, but it does surprise me that clubs are so unwilling to deal with repeat offenders. If they aren't willing to take a bit of criticism then go somewhere else, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

On the subject of marking cards, people would be better moving on to the next tee and mark the cards as they are taking turns to tee off. Clarify the correct scores on the way to the next tee.

Great post Jamfer, there is a danger that the club whingers obsessed with slow play put beginners and high handicappers under unreasonable pressure. If people are going a reasonable pace they shouldn't worry themselves about the guys who want to rush around the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Awareness on the golf course is something which is sadly lacking in a lot of clubs.

If you tee off on the first and because there is no one behind, dawdle along merrily you should be able to spot another group getting close and speed up.

The “Jaysus.. where did they spring from” shouldn’t happen.

Dont get me going about talkers….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭FazyLucker

Yeah awareness is badly lacking.

Do clubs ever do any "pace of play" talks, etc about how to speed up a round? I get that every group can have a bad hole but they should be able to catch up to the group in front or that's where a course ranger comes in.

To me, much of that lack of awareness is what causes the slow play.

I don't mind a chat every now and then but incessant talking while not even starting to think about the next shot bugs the sht out of me. I use the gap between shots to think about yardage, hazards, etc because when I get to the ball, I can have the shot planned.

Another big one - a bad tee shot and a guy who is more interested in cursing and swearing and swinging his club around than trying to keep an eye on anything (e.g. a tree, a yardage marker, whatever) which might help him find it when they get up there.

A friend of mine told me of a 25 handicapper taking out his range finder to see how far he was to the pin.....seriously. Get a GPS watch and come back with the range finder when you are in single digits or low teens.

Advertisement