Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argos to close all Irish stores starting March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Totally - everything from Computers (Vic 20) to Cameras (Zenith Russian made) - you could get things in Argos though that you could never get in Irish shops- mad things like a clothes line pole 😀

Loved the catalogues and people really did spend a fair whack of money in Argos every year- I remember queuing in Belfast for not far off an hour just to submit our order - about 6 lines of queues to the counter - great times

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Disappointed but not surprised. Recently all Argos stores I have passed or been in have been very quiet. The Irish part of their business always seemed very badly run compared with their UK operations. Their UK website is streets ahead of the Irish one. Argos themselves have said the same thing basically. They said that the amount of investment required to develop and modernise their Irish operations was not viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Like many others commenting here - it was handy for bit and pieces throughout the years - stuff when we moved into our first place, toys and video games for the young lad, office stuff for when at college or working.

But yes in recent years the company has lagged behind. The website is useless on the phone so I can only use it at a pc. When I want to buy something it's often not in my local store but can be ordered to store in a day or two, which was ok sometimes but a bit of an inconvenience to be honest. I've been trying to buy a slow cooker from them but the ones I want have all been out of stock since christmas, so at this stage I may start looking elsewhere. We were only talking about Argos recently and commented that our local one the unit seems quite empty and must be costing a bit in rent as they don't seem to even hold much stock there.

But yes I remember the excitement of the new catalogue being released. We used to have to get 2 in our house otherwise there'd be fighting over it! Then as a teenage girl pouring over the jewellery pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭French Toast

Window shopping the Argos catalogue was a pass time in our house 20 or so years ago.

I remember at least 2 pages given over to covers for Nokia 3310s with various patterns and cartoon characters on them. That and blue inflatable furniture.

Nothing lasts forever I suppose. Sad to hear of job losses for people.

Post edited by French Toast on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It's a shame but not surprising, last time I was in there it was very quiet, but they did have what I wanted and for much less than what the other retailers were charging. Although no longer affiliated I think Homebase could be in trouble too. I hope the employees find other work soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sad to hear, obviously because of the loss of jobs but also because I have a lot of memories of shopping in Argos for Christmas presents and other stuff. Used to remember flicking through the Argos catalog as a kid whenever a new issue came out and mentally picking things out that I would buy if I were a millionaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭feargantae

I definitely didn't help them. Used to reserve an item then buy it cheaper on Amazon. Collect the Argos order that day, then return the Amazon one to Argos whenever it came.

Oops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭skinny90

An investment needed to change their business model, not double down on an already failing one.

their website is a case and point, they simply did not react to change.

Their business processes, back end logistics and stock mgmt is the stuff of dreams in terms of efficiently its not like change couldnt happen they choose to ignore it and double down on "argos it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No harm if ebay died,its a totally user's website.

I remember using it a lot when it first started, it was fantastic. Got loads of unusual things and lots of bargains. When it was all auctions .

Then it turned into just selling things at normal prices, and took out element of it being a bidding site. I'd say 95% of it is now just 'buy stuff at this price '. What's the point of that? It's mostly overpriced and amazon do it much much better.

ebay is gone to the situation of almost irrelevance for Irish buyers in most cases really considering that the only decent postage on items was from the UK and Brexit fcuked that right up with increased postage costs and VAT + customs collection fees and the fact that many buyers just won't even post to Ireland given their experience with an post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yeah, eBay is like amazon with no oversight. Full of tat, though that's the Irish experience. It has a much bigger userbase in the UK and US, while we use Adverts and Donedeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This ^^^

There is an Argos 2 kilometres away to the north and another 2 kilometres to the west of my place.

beyond convenient…

when the pandemic was just becoming news, I got the vibe that things were going to get blisteringly shïtty I just procured loads of PS4 games….Fitness gadgets like new resistance bands, pedometer, suspension trainer…. From walking out my front door to home in about an hour.

beauty about Argos is you don’t need to ‘wait’ for ordering and delivery…. Look for product / shop-stock-reserve-collect….

its a strange move on behalf of Argos. Of the 34 outlets would they not just close the ones that are losing money ?

on the other hand maybe landlords / rents are fleecing them. Who knows….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Been a couple of years since I picked up anything there. As others said it used to be pretty handy for picking random things up and you used to get decent deals. But then they never seem to have a variety of things in stock and their pricing became uncompetitive.

But their Irish website was the pits, particularly when it tried make you use the mobile site. And they really shot themselves in the foot when they cause hassle for the boardsie who made that great checkargos website.

It just dropped off my radar for checking for anything to the point I'd even check Harvey Norman or Currys beforehand.

The site looks aesthetically like something from about 2003. yet I always find it pleasantly functional..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Their click and collect was very handy too.

I don't think I have gone in store, filled in the little docket for maybe 7 or 8 yrs. Always click and collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I liked the Argos store here because it was one of the few places you knew the price without picking up the phone or found a name to drop at the counter.

Having said that my entire purchases in the last fifteen years or so was a Kindle and a slow cooker.

As for the catalog, I have always thought of it as the dark Satanic bible of the capitalist bourgeoisie, in spite of the brightly coloured piccies!

What will high streets and shopping centres look like in 20 years ? Will indeed they be viable ? Probably not.

many fields, farms, and bit of spare land in suburbs have massive distribution/warehouse facilities a la Amazon built ? So big they have their own separate climates in different parts ?

• I’m disappointed as I could pick up bits and pieces that were sometimes difficult to get elsewhere, it was very convenient popping into the Dundrum store whilst doing other shopping there. Within the last two years I noticed it was almost always empty, which wasn’t a good sign. I’m sorry for the staff, they have been there quite some time.

• Some people love to simply go out and pick up stuff they’ve ordered, especially when doing other business in an area. I imagine we might see another form of Argos crossed with Amazon, where you order something online, then go pick it up rather than having it delivered. But this would likely be a big distribution centre accessible from likes of M50 from where they also offer a delivery service. With coffee shop and other attractions onsite, maybe like a more versatile IKEA.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

• It's really not surprising at all.

Argos is operating a business model from the 1950s - a catalogue shop. It's long since been replaced by online retail and frankly the Argos website is ludicrously bad. They'd every opportunity to turn themselves into a serious online contender, but they didn't and now they're fading away.

Argos could have been a British Amazon, but then plenty of catalogue retailers could have made that leap and didn't. They didn't have the vision, the venture capital (the big driver) or the scale and technology to do it. So, a lot of that 'it could have been' stuff is just fantasy.

Argos was bought by Sainsbury's and the UK stores have effectively been closed and rolled into Sainsbury's locations to make them more cost effective to operate. How long they continue is anyone's guess. It's quite possible Argos might disappear entirely.

The other aspect that I notice the company and news reports aren't mentioning is Brexit. Argos is effectively isolated in a UK supply chain and would have had to invest money in Irish infrastructure and buyers to keep its Irish stores stocked. it's not feasible to buy in the UK supply chains and operate from UK warehousing anymore. There are huge tax and customs implications since the UK left the single market.

My guess is their exit from Ireland is probably the canary in the coal mine anyway. The UK is headed into a recession and Argos may just vanish entirely.

I think you're going to see a rather serious thinning out of British high street retailers over the next 12 months. A lot of things are coming home to roost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sorry for the staff, but from what I read this morning the company have given assurances redundancy wise, even for those who don't qualify for statutory. I hope that is the case.

Anyway, I did use it a lot in the past, for this and that, easy to pick up click and collect 10 minutes away, but now - as others have said anything I want has been out of stock for a long time. It killed me checking out the item and selecting the store to see if it had the stock, only to see the message "out of stock". I nearly had to reach the end of the process to find that out!

The premises are probably being eyed up by Roddy O'Gorman for the asylum seekers, like the office blocks. They are desperate for accommodation at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can't think of a single business that I would see being able to take up the leases of all 34 stores to trade from, bricks and mortar retail is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

The times they are a changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭road_high

But what European stores are replacing them? I can’t think of any. If these shops leave our high streets they’ll die now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭gipi

The only purchases I've made in recent times is replacement gas canisters for Soda Stream. Website is a disaster, and they've been running stock down since autumn - my local Argos has had no jewellery on display for months.

I'm close to the border so if I'm really stuck, I can try up north.

• Advertisement

Thing is, Amazon will never do instant, you will always be days away from ordering to being in receipt of your order.

Argos…Or any high street retailer … you need something….car, bus, taxi or walk there pay money and you got it in X minutes…..you can be looking at the catalog before you get there.

often we need / want stuff at short notice. Because we’ve been forgetful or a situation has unexpectedly arisen so we need X.. ASAP.

example…..if I forget a family member’s birthday tomorrow…. I’ve remembered at 5.47 pm…. I’ve got until 7pm to get to my local Argos tonight. Browsing online so I’m not wasting time between then. Amazon or any and every online retailer is of sweet fûck all use.

one thing i have just noticed, the vast majority of Argos shops around me, are closing at 6.30 or 7pm tonight… Thursday, late night shopping !? Might be indicative of their problems..

• Who knows who might replace them, but there have been European stores and others who've been very successful here, JYSK for example is Danish and has been popping up in similar locations to Argos all over the place. You've other Danish ones like Søstrene Grene beginning to appear here and there ...

Harvey Norman's an Australian company that's operated here for years without any UK presence at all.

Plenty of other stores in the fashion sector that aren't UK originated too. Some enormous ones like Zara (and its other brands).

The biggest issue we are exposed to at the moment is that the UK retail sector is going to shrink and possibly very hard due to the economic realities over there. That will leave gaps in our Main Streets and shopping centres regardless of whether the Irish economy is buoyant or not.

If there's a market here, which there is, there will be retailers willing to fill those spaces though.

Argos however is very much an obsolete concept. Nobody's going to be launching catalogue shops again.

As for "We're moving away from UK and connecting to the rest of Europe and the world" that's just an inevitability due to Brexit. We aren't moving anywhere. The UK has cut itself off and destroyed its ability to trade cross border with EU countries and other companies will fill those niches. It will take time though.

The Irish Government doesn't go around directing companies from the continent to open here. If there are Irish or international retailers who want to take up opportunities that the UK has been removing from its own companies, those gaps will be filled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Amazon are doing same day in places in England.

I've noticed they're at 2 day delivery now in Ireland, which is miles better than any Irish retailer. I suppose that's their thing though. Faster than our own postal service at delivering items around the country.

• They do next day on items in the Dublin warehouse in Dublin and certain urban areas like Cork where they have their own delivery services.

Also they’re not any faster than A Post nationally. It’s not unusual to get next day from Irish online retailers if they get the packages into the post before 4pm the previous day. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by several online orders that arrived on my door step the day after I ordered.

Same day is quite challenging and can’t really work very far from a warehouse.

Right but again, completely dependent on when the consumer realises they have a need for the product.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

For some things of course, but Ive gotten some very competitive prices over the years. Quite often it wasnt far off amazon with the bonus I could go and pick up the item.

• I’m curious about what happens to the Parcel Motel locker infrastructure. The service is shutting down forever at the end of January and hasn’t seen much use since Brexit, but the locker network could easily be sold to Amazon or similar if UPS doesn’t want it.

A lot of Amazon same day in the UK, other than to selected post codes is delivery to locker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The busiest streets in Limerick have none of these shops any more. The busy streets are all food and coffee now.

Argos and many others abandoned the high streets long ago and the high streets are well on their way to adapting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

When I started seeing alot of import charges on top of postage charges on ebay ....I started to look elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Any idea how they will deal with the 3 year replacement thingy I just bought it with a microwave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Pity really. I used Argos a fair amount even during the pandemic.

I suspect the push against people driving into and around Dublin has not helped places like Parnell/Henry street, and that may have been enough to push Argos (and others) over the edge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sad to see Argos closing down here, as a child back in the 1980s my dad would shop at Argos up North and my sisters and I would pore over the catalogues for hours on end, especially the toy section!

But that was 35+ years ago now and I suppose online retail has massively eroded Argos’s business model. That said, at least you can go into an Argos store, order and collect immediately. Not possible with Amazon etc.

The last couple of times I was in an Argos, they were out of stock of the product I was looking for, which wasn’t good. The stores were also looking a bit tatty, dated and run down in places.

Ironically it was the computer that allowed Argos to exist in the first place, Argos was launched 50 years ago this year, in 1973 - and it must have seemed like a shopping revolution at the time. But since then technology has caught up with and overtook Argos.

I also have the distinct feeling that as with Debenhams, the closure of Argos’s Irish Stores is only a prelude to a full closure in the UK before too long. I feel sorry for those who will lose their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Juran

Parcel Motel closes end of the month. Brexit customs regs killed it. I used to shop in UK for big items which didnt deliver outside UKeg. Microwave, big rug, fireplace, electric fire, armchair, etc. it was a great service.

What happens I wonder to credit left in everyone's account ?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Argos basically modelled itself on narrower version of the Sears Catalog stores in the USA, which provided Sears Department Store outreach to smaller towns and outlying suburbs, using similar looking catalogue shops.

They thrived 1950s, 60s and 70s and began to fade in the 90s and are now entirely gone, along with the vast majority of the enormous Sears empire itself - very little of it left.

Most of what Argos excelled at is far better done by Amazon and a lot of the niche household stuff they sold tends to be very well covered by the DIY and home store chains, the likes of Woodies here is actually excellent.

Electrical, electronic etc moved into big box retail and online.

Toys are online and big box too. Smiths being the big box.

I think Argos was great, really good for last minute stuff.

• Advertisement

• I might email them and ask for a refund. I’m damned if I’m donating whatever €20 is on it to UPS!

Ikea could take a few maybe? Local paper reporting this week they are opening a cut down shop in our town but haven't specified where and calling it a "plan and order point" in a 1000 sq ft premises, the Argos units would be a bit bigger than that though wouldn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Oh, where's www.amazon.ie ??? I haven't come across it yet. Amazon treats the Republic of Ireland like a province of the UK - feck them.

Someone mentioned Jysk earlier and that’s true- they have a huge store footprint already and really good and nice household stuff. They’d beat Argos hands down on all that stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭PommieBast

That's pretty much what the non-food part of M&S is now over in the UK. Have a bit of stock for unreserved walk-in buys but a lot of shops are really just show rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Been to a few shoe shops that are the same. Only size available is what's on the shelf but you can order online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Gonna miss those fiddly blue pens, the catalogue and the excitement while you wait for the goods. Was dead handy for some stuff, you could check if it was available and pick it up immediately or reserve and pick up at leisure. And no problem with returns.

The Irish web site was pants but not the end of the world. And you never had to pay online ... just pay when you collect in cash/whatever.

So, it's a very handy option that's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I think that's what the one that'll be opening here will basically be , a Showroom, for bedrooms, kitchens etc . From what I gathered from the info online anyway.

Argos will be missed here in town imo . So handy for picking up presents for kids , or have a browse online in the evening, click and reserve, collect the next day .

True, but a Jysk are just household right ? Argos really had everything.

• Advertisement

Yea- kind of household stuff and also lots of furniture, bedding, bathroom (like ikea type stuff), also office stuff too. Seasonal too for gardening. I’ve bought a lot more there in the past 5 years than in Argos. And we don’t even have a Jysk where I live

Advertisement