Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads ye need to start advertising for mods

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I think they put it better themselves:

even the wronged party needs to show penitence and genuflect to the administration team or their case will be ignored. Due process, in this case, is conditional then.

I've seen it before. Doesn't matter whether it's from a left/ right perspective, or just in general. Have to show deference to your betters..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Honestly that’s not even true in all cases. I don’t want to bring it back to myself all the time but in my own case I was totally engaged and polite and the thread was still closed early. The original moderator effed up and because I am perceived to be a “troll” the so-called due process was waived in their favour and the matter was swept under the carpet. Nothing to see here.

That is what happened, I’ll post a link to the thread below. Due process simply doesn’t exist on boards.ie, claims to the contrary are a cod.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058274711/soccer-forum-access-removal-without-warning#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I've been told by an admin that had I just apologized he would have overturned an infraction. That's not due process, its power wielding nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

again, if you post like a dick then apologising for being a dick is not a big ask if you want to continue to post. be an adult and take responsibility for your mistakes.

Who said anything about posting like a dick?

A DRP is a ridiculous exercise if you have to apologise for the very thing you are disputing like some sort of supplicant.

• Advertisement

Not everyone the administrators accuse of acting like a dick are acting like a dick. It can be used as an excuse to shut down a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you described the mods as "jumped up" in the thread you linked to. is it any surprise you dont get any leeway?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Shure everyone knows AMAB! 😲 😀

Not your ornery onager

I was given no leeway to begin with, as the aggrieved party. But somehow the responsibility was only on me to show temperance and understanding or my case will be thrown into the bin. Due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Have you any idea why Spears edited your OP on Jan 6th?

I don't think I have ever agreed with you but the "technical issues" with their PMs is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

The aggrieved party. Have you thought about suing for damages in a civil case?

I haven’t got a clue. I doubt it’s for any entirely innocent reasons though.

It’s also laughable that an administrator can post a bald-faced lie to a user like that defending a moderator’s actions, then turn around and cry foul at anyone who says due process doesn’t exist on boards. It doesn’t exist when it can be dismissed on a whim.

• With certain types of posters treating the whole chat forum like a virtual court room I am so glad I got out of modding at the site changeover. Who in all sanity actually wants to deal with posters like that as a hobby. I‘ve no acumen for knitting but would rather start that as a pastime.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I agree with you 100%. They should just delete the DRP forum and stop pretending due process exists here when it clearly does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Have to say that I, personally, always found the “dispute resolution” process to be an excessive mercy given by the site. Poster breaks the rules, gets a warning/sanction and, ideally, moves on.

Some of the “defences” given in that forum are a joke, you have users bleating about bias, being targeted and other such nonsense.

People are complaining about a lack of moderation, or the number of mods, but they also expect mods, and admins, to waste obscene amounts of their time going back and forth with posters, most with abysmal “records”, instead of dealing with the rest of the site.

It’s bad enough they’ve taken up so much of their time getting into “trouble” in the first place. Some users need to take a long, hard, look at themselves before they start whinging about the policing of the site and some, imaginary, bias.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It wasn't edited in anyway. That's how Vanilla shows the change when it was moved to the archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The lie that that moderator was not ignoring my messages, they suffered from “technical issues.”

The lie that I had been notified when I was banned from the soccer forum (I hadn’t, I found out I couldn’t access the forum when I tried to click on a link to the forum and I was informed only when you told me in the thread I started months later).

The lie that a poster will be listened to if they post civilly without an “attitude.”

The lie that there is a due process procedure for appealing bans on Boards.ie when it can be ignored on a whim by the administrators if they determine the user isn’t worth the effort. Any one of those lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Stupid question might already have been asked,

But could thread mods be appointed at all rather than someone cover a whole forum or multiple forums cover hundreds of posts per day could a Cat mod look at say one of the threads several hundred to several thousand posts /replies and say right this person has a clean record and decent posting style this person could be nominated to mod a thread , with no other duties bar that particular thread , giving a person mod experience while freeing up Beastly and Ten of Swords in CA .

Apologies other mods spend most of my time in CA so I'm not up to scratch on who else is modding where

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

@CGI_Livia_Soprano

This is not the place to be digging up your personal gripes about the dispute process

Your dispute was dealt with. A decision was reached - that will not be re-opened

Now back on topic

Circling the wagons, nothing to see here.

This isn’t about my “personal gripe,” I was using my case as an illustration of the pretence of due process in the Dispute Resolution Process. I think you should get rid of that forum altogether and stop pretending that there is any due process. Consider dropping the pretence that boards.ie is anything other than a benevolent dictatorship.

This whole debacle is an illustration of how the boards.ie administration try to silence the aggrieved parties in a dispute rather than deal with actual malevolent actors.

One personal example is when a poster sent me intimidatory PMs a few weeks ago, and Beasty urged me to ignore it.

When I saw that same poster had not been banned or sanctioned in anyway I posted publicly about them PMing me and Beasty took the opportunity to scold me about it. “Civility” and the appearance of same trump all, even at the expense of someone who is being intimidated by bullies.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

@CGI_Livia_Soprano

Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Jaysis, the moderator forum seems more impregnable than Fort Knox and Area 51 combined.

You're not the majestic 12

It's an internet discussion forum in Ireland Lads.

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The fact of the matter is moderators are given certain access that posters aren't. They have the ability to ban, shut down threads, issue warnings etc. They have access to administrators to find out if a poster is a rereg of someone else, has previous history etc. As a moderator you are given privileges and information that posters don't have.

So like it or not, consideration has to be given to who is given that background access. I know it has been suggested here to just add a load of moderators and then remove them if it turns out they're no good. That's all well and good, but randomly giving many people privileged access and just crossing fingers and hoping it works out isn't the best idea. Indeed when a poster is considered, their posting background looked into, discussion as to if they'd be a good mod or not and eventually approved it can still turn out to be a bad decision with the moderators "abusing their power" as is a regular complaint here.

Life and society has drastically changed in the past 20 years. There is a general level of hostility, anger, entitlement and bitterness across all of society. Boards.ie is contending with all of these attitudes too. And oftentimes the people who feel all of the above feel entitled to come on to an internet forum and spill it all out. The moderators then have to try decipher what's a valid point and what's just pure bile.

Most often the ones spilling all the hostility, anger, entitlement and bitterness get very offended when asked to tone it down. Being a moderator on Boards.ie is a difficult and thankless job. Anyone on here who does it, does it with the belief that they are helping to keep what was once a fantastic space going. You can't please everyone, all of the time. The vast majority of posters just want to engage in discussion. Have a bit of craic, debate, whatever, as a spot of entertainment while the telly is on in the background. But a sizeable minority want to fight, argue, accuse, be offended and horrified by every day modern society and then accuse the mods of "abusing their powers" if they ask them to tone it down and understand and acknowledge why they are being pulled up on it.

As I always say to posters who vehemently argue about how terrible the site is, or how awful the moderators, or how it's such a hole of a place... Nobody forces anybody to log in. Nobody is forcing anyone to be here. It's a privately run forum with rules. Like any other group or organisation to be a member you are expected to abide by the rules. If you come in to any group and decide that you are going to insist on your own rules then it's likely you are going to be pulled up on it. If you agree you overstepped the mark, and agree to be more aware of your behaviour in future then it's likely everyone just moves on and forgets it. If you insist on being a dick and insisting you're right and everyone else is wrong, you're likely going to be asked to not come back to the group.

It's really not that difficult. And it always seems to only be the people who insist on being difficult are the ones complaining about the "abuse of power".

How to you distinguish between those "who insist on being difficult" from those who believe they are getting the wrong end of the stick?

We already know and in fact has been acknowledged that previous infractions etc will count towards how you are dealt with in future, so it doesn't take too many "mistakes" before someone is labelled "difficult". At that point you might as well give up because you will simply not get a fair hearing and any attempt to get one results in posts like yours where you basically lump them into the "man shouts at cloud" group.

Its self fulfilling.

And removing alternative/dissenting views is going to make it even quieter around here. An echo chamber of agreement may seem like a great idea to those involved, but it soon turns pretty dull.

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The dispute resolution forum is there for everyone to avail of. Personally, I think my rate of overturning warnings and infractions or bans is about 50/50.. I have overturned probably as many as I have upheld. I have overturned warnings from posters who had "previous" sometimes to the annoyance of the moderators who issued the warning.

Of course previous warnings and infractions have to be considered. If you have caused trouble in a forum and have been asked to amend your posting style, but don't, and cause trouble again then of course previous warnings and discussions need to be brought into it. Otherwise you just have moderators repeating the same warning to the same people who repeatedly ignore it.

It's no secret that warnings and bans are incremental. If you've had a 1 point warning in a forum and come to the mods attention again then you can expect a 2 point warning etc.

For anyone who finds it difficult bringing it back to "don't be a dick" should focus the mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There's an assumption by many here that gathering cards infractions etc is because a user holds an 'alternative' or 'dissenting' view (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean).

In my experience in the 19 years I've been on this site people gather cards from rudeness, bigotry, or an inability to make a coherent argument without stooping to name-calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You got to appreciate how the titles of posters defending the status quo keep increasing in rank (if the culmination of titles means anything).

There is no point in quoting rules if, at the end of the day, infractions are based on number of complaints (no matter what) because it confirms the clique mentality claims.

And I personally: I’m usually ok with getting a warning/ infraction if I am given a reason (which Beastie provides much more than other mods who just ban).

Getting a thread or forum ban with no specified reason is just frustrating, particularly if you can see others getting away with the same or worse behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You dont know if others are "getting away" with things. Warnings and infractions are only visible to mods, Cmods and Admins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement