Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Same people saying refugees are welcome are the exact same people objecting to large apartments being built near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

From the article in the opening post, Michael Martin in July 2022 -

Mr Martin said he is holding an emergency meeting with ministers today to discuss the rising number of non-Ukrainian refugees arriving in Ireland.

The Taoiseach also hit out at UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Rwanda deportation policy saying it was “shocking” and suggested it could be responsible for the spike in asylum seekers arriving in Ireland.

The comments came as the Government conceded they have run out of space for refugees fleeing Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Mr Martin said there are huge pressures on the asylum process and international protection applications, excluding Ukrainian refugees, are expected to be five times higher than expected this year.

“Annually, one could have been anticipating maybe 3,500. This year, that could be four or five times that figure, maybe more by the end of the year. So much so that Citywest, which was designed as a reception centre for Ukrainians fleeing war, (now) 70pc of Citywest are international protection applicants,” he said.

“I convened a meeting today of all the relevant ministers with a view to designing the next set of responses to deal with both people fleeing war from Ukraine, but also the international protection issue and the surge in numbers and to get a deeper analysis of that, but also to prepare a response from government in relation to that development as well, which is, quite significant and is placing considerable strain on existing state accommodation efforts,” he said.

“We will from policy perspective, prioritize those who are fleeing war are very vulnerable situations.

"And that will have to be on prioritisation in terms of orders or response in terms of emergency accommodation. We have to also deal with anomalies that have arisen within our existing international protection system,” he added.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

So now O'Gorman has announced that there is no acommodation available for newly arrived Asylum Seekers starting from today. Food vouchers and sleep on the streets. With hotels due to start reverting to tourist trade, this situation is only going to get a lot worse. Yet no word on a review of current policies, what an absolute farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Thanks for directing me to that article.

In February 2022 Roderic O'Gorman sent out tweets in five different languages, Albanian, Arabic, Somali, Urdu and Georgian advertising a pamphlet in which he promised new arrivals housing – own door accommodation – within four months, medical cards would also be available, and dentistry, mental health and other services.

https://gript.ie/photos-the-moment-when-roderic-ogorman-told-the-world-ireland-was-a-soft-touch-on-migration/

Five months later, in July 2022, Micheal Martin is calling an "emergency meeting with ministers to discuss the rising number of non-Ukrainian refugees arriving in Ireland" "who are putting huge pressures on the asylum process" and "placing considerable strain on existing state accommodation efforts"

Is the fundamental problem there

A. the absence of facilities for these (unlimited numbers of) new arrivals or

B. an utterly unrealistic policy on immigration by Minister Roderic O'Gorman.

Half of all applicants for International Protection in 2022 came from either Georgia, Algeria, Nigeria or Zimbabwe.

None of those countries are considered to be conflict zones.

When I have put this to organisers of the "For All" counter protests they respond that there are other reasons one can qualify for asylum besides fleeing war.

I've asked if they think climate change is one and they say it should be.

I should say that this was in the context of a respectful conversation. We weren't trying to score points.

There seems to be a real political naivety to the pro immigration side. Of course they can rely on media dominance but there comes a point when that won't work and the more they double down the more they just undermine their own credibility 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

The same amadan that tweeted in several different languages telling them all to come here is now saying there's nowhere to put them. You just have to laugh at the state of the clowns running this country.

Is the fundamental problem there 

A. the absence of facilities for these (unlimited numbers of) new arrivals or 

B. an utterly unrealistic policy on immigration by Minister Roderic O'Gorman.

Neither of the above. Fundamentally the problem has to do with the withdrawal of pledged accommodation for Ukrainian refugees, and local authorities dragging their heels on finding accommodation for any refugees regardless of where they’re from -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40992752.html

It hasn’t been helped by hoteliers and other private accommodation providers being left out of pocket for months while providing for refugees and having to pay suppliers -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41022839.html

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0113/1346605-hotels-payment-refugees/

It hasn’t been helped by hoteliers and other private accommodation providers being left out of pocket for months while providing for refugees and having to pay suppliers -

There are 240 Hotels around Ireland providing accommodation for 14,000 "refugees".

224 of those contracts need to be renewed by the end of March.

Two thirds of owners have not confirmed as yet that they will be renewing.

We know of examples like Carlingford where local protests in November produced an immediate statement from the hotel owner that they would not be renewing their contract.

I believe there are a lot of reasons besides protests why hotel owners will not renew. Pressure from fellow tourist business owners would be a major one. Nonetheless, if there have been protests outside a hotel and the same hotel does not renew its contract I think a lot of people will rightly or wrongly credit the protestors.

So over the next ten weeks you'll have

A. these former hotel residents being moved in to new accommodation and riling up new communities

B. communities who will be aware of examples all over the country where it will seem that protest has been effective.

That's what I'm looking forward to anyway.

Nobody… ok I won’t say “nobody”, that’s too broad a generalisation, but very few people give a flying fcuk about any protesters, and certainly hoteliers and private business don’t care about protesters, they care about getting paid for providing a service, from the local authorities who also don’t give a flying fcuk about protesters. But sure look, if it makes you feel like you’re doing something positive and productive with your life, crack on I say 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Not paying some of the hotels is a massive own goal. It is now obvious that payment is not guaranteed when they sign up.

• Advertisement

No doubt you remember the protests that took place in Carlingford in November against the housing of refugees in the Carlingford Adventure Centre.

Sorry I can't find a link (outside of Telegram) to the statement the Centre issued.

But here it is in full

Carlingford Announcement

Carlingford Adventure Centre local announcement.

We have responded to a national request for emergency accommodation. We have offered our accommodation from September to February. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide assistance past February. We were not informed prior to arrival who would avail of the accommodation so couldn't communicate it publicly. Carlingford Adventure Centre has welcomed four groups to date.

1. 1st Arrival 28 Women and children 7th October

2. 2nd Arrival One Single women 12th October

3. 3rd Arrival three Families arrived from local accommodation 22nd November.

4. 4th Arrival was 40 Males arrived on the 23rd of November.

We have advised the department go forward we will not accept any additional males. We are still offering our accommodation to Women and Children until February. We are operating as usual with school tours activity daytrips then we will revert to accommodation Activity bookings as usual from March onwards. Carlingford Adventure Centre would like to apologise for lack of prior consultation to the local community and any distress this may have caused. This was not our intention. We have been helping individual Ukrainians leave their war-torn country since the start of the conflict and been welcoming group arrivals since October, and they have been a pleasure to deal with and get to know individually.

I would like to assure the residents in Carlingford these refugees pose no danger to their community. They are here for a short stay over Christmas only in a controlled manner. They have come from terrible conditions. We have offered them a safe place to spend Christmas and some of the coldest months of the year. Our Guests are not at fault for the lack of prior communication we and the community received.

I hope this announcement helps to clarify the situation and allays any fears local residents may have. Again, Please accept our apology for the lack of communication and prior information from the Department.

Carlingford Adventure Team

Of course it could all have been purely a business decision completely independent of the protests that they neglected to let anyone know about until the day after the protest. That's fine. However they get there - once they get there.

No doubt you remember the protests that took place in Carlingford in November against the housing of refugees in the Carlingford Adventure Centre.

Not meaning to be funny with you bertie but no, no I don’t remember Carlingford or hearing anything about it. First I’ve ever heard of Carlingford was your post, second I’ve ever heard of it was when I searched for it on Google just now as I’d never heard of the place, nor the Adventure Centre. It’s in Louth… which might explain why I’d never heard of it before now 😂

EDIT: I’ve just searched for ‘Carlingford protests’, no need for Telegram, Irish Independent article gives pretty much the same account of their statement as you’ve given above. I can understand why you wouldn’t want to link to any sources in mainstream media though which also report on this sort of behaviour -

Local residents took to social media to express their views about the situation, with some expressing the opinion that it wouldn’t be the same for women and children to walk the streets of Carlingford. People also criticised the lack of communication.

A video which incorrectly claimed that 200 men had been bussed into the village under cover of darkness was widely shared on social media.

Footage of Sunday’s protest has also been posted online.

It shows a small group of people gathered in The Square, with most of the speakers seemingly from outside the village.

One woman, carrying a tricolour, said that the men were not refugees but are “part of a UN army come in to keep the Irish people in check for what’s coming next.”

Other speakers complained that there was “mass immigration into the towns and villages of Ireland” and that the refugees were not properly vetted.

"What kind of Ireland do you want in the future? Ireland belongs to the Irish.”

They also criticised the government parties and Sinn Fein.

Another man said it was “an invasion” and that Irish people would be a minority in their own country, while a voice from the crowd called for the refugees to be taken to Greenore “and put on a boat”.

However, one local man carried a sign which read: “Carlingford the silent majority welcomes displaced peoples. Happy Christmas. O Holy Night’.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/louth/news/protest-held-in-carlingford-over-arrival-of-refugees-from-ukraine-42182549.html

And we can take my long quote and your long post and distill them down to this

If someone pops up in the next ten weeks - as "refugees" are being moved to new locations all over the country - and says "Look at Carlingford, they protested and the Hotel has no refugees in it now" would it even be worth your while trying to fight that narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

A lot of people are posting absolute numbers of asylum seekers while failing to take into account the populations of the host countries. The quoted post above is one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Roderick O'Gorman going full Commandant Amon Goeth and letting people in their thousands go homeless this Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"What a parcel of rogues in a nation". Robbie Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They won't go homeless. Them standing out protesting that refugees are welcome will give them a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Calling it a farce is being way too kind. If this were a marriage, the behaviour of our govmt would be considered abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Its really now a battle between the amount of cash ROG will throw at the hotels and how much those hotels want to risk community opprobrium. Protests will have been pivotal in driving up the price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Don’t worry. Members of the government have been on the radio during the week to say measures are being taken and modular homes are being built so all will be ok in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

ROG has been shown to be completely clueless. It was only days ago when he wished to expand the scope of his open borders policy to embrace those fleeing "climate change". Now he's saying we're full.

Its laughable all the articles talk about 70,000+ coming in, and then theres an obligatory reference to his "200 modular homes" (which have been delayed.)

Greens like ROG can get away with grandiose policies based on 100-year weather forecasts (where they can't be proved wrong), but this asylum racket unravels quickly in real time, and he's just utterly out of his depth.

Post edited by keynes on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I see a bus approaching

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A bit of humour can go a long way.

But if it is a Dublin Bus under Bus Connects you are lucky to see one these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That woman from Carlingford is off the wall with conspiracies with the crap about UN army plantations.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

UN army plantations stuff is off the wall.

But the only thing about Carlingford that will make it in to the general consciousness is

"they protested"

"Hotel now empty of refugees"

That’s if Carlingford enters the general consciousness at all bertie, and having been made aware of recent events there, the only thing I came away with was “bunch of loopers”. It’s not any different with any of the other protests you’ve obviously convinced yourself have been a success, in spite of events which would suggest otherwise -

https://m.independent.ie/news/around-100-people-gather-in-east-wall-to-protest-over-refugee-centre-42282420.html

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-implement-special-policing-plan-ahead-of-multiple-anti-asylum-seeker-protests-42279897.html

And as I mentioned in another thread recently, my young lad went on a weekend away hotel break recently, and I wasn’t at all concerned about the hotel accommodating refugees. What I was more concerned about were the likes of this idiot and the possibility of people with similar ideas actually going so far as to carry out their threats -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41046959.html

I know you don’t stand behind that kind of behaviour, I know you don’t support it, but that’s what will stick in the general consciousness - the Irish people involved in that kind of behaviour and how they disrupted innocent people’s lives to promote their own ideology that Ireland was under threat from immigrants or Government 😒

How much success you want to ascribe to the protests depends a lot on how you define success.

Obviously none of the centres in Dublin have been shut but I think it's fair to say that the protests have played a large part in putting immigration front and centre in the last few weeks.

The quotes coming out of the FG parliamentary meeting, from five different people, are my idea of success. I think the protests have contributed.

The guy threatening to burn down the centre was as stupid as it was counterproductive.

And this evening there's something coming out of Fermoy everyone is going to be talking about tomorrow. I wasn't there and I'm still trying to get a handle on it.

Success is defined by whether or not a person or group meets their objectives. It’s that simple. Protest groups haven’t met their objectives, and they’re unlikely to meet their objectives because they’re about as coordinated as a crèche full of babies fumbling about the place.

As disorganised as Government and local authorities efforts have been, and as apathetic as the public are to their efforts, the apathy is even greater towards protesters disorganised efforts, and ticked off about their efforts which impede the public which just wants to go about their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Our politicians find limitless resources for crises that we have to accept on faith (e.g. <pick your own favourites here!!>) 

Conversely, the crises that have been impacting our daily lives for decades must be ignored (e.g. housing, hospitals) 

Meanwhile our media is busily trying to work out why there's growing hostility towards politicians, I do wonder what those IT Assoc. Editors will uncover ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

There's a clear and present crisis coming up. The hotels are going to try to put out the Ukrainians when their contract with the state is up

The Muppets in charge better put an end to this "international protection" racket real fast if they are going to find any room for continued arrivals of Ukrainians.

Absolute Muppets they are.

Advertisement