Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Are you seriously saying that some one with his track record did a Punch cartoon comparison of people to apes?

Deary me, that's preposterous.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You're the only person that I have ever heard say that he didnt.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You need to get out more.

I think that most people know what happened here and that is why this has gone nowhere. Tiernan apologised if she felt offended. Sin é as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You are now claiming to be "most people" 🤣🤣🤣 - 1 person isnt most people

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Do we have to do the "I didn't say he did" dance ?

I'd really rather not.

But I will say he wobbled on the line and may have put a foot over it.

What was that line from Sondheim?

"losing my timing this late

in my career"

He will get over it lesson learned.

• Advertisement

So were is the outrage here? Certainly not amongst most people looking at social media. Fairly lame response TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jimjangles

Let's forget about the stupid silly joke. It wasn't meant to offend. Some black people are extremely easy offended and if you accidentally look at them crooked or if someone mentions the word black to describe them they become offended. If you ask where a black person comes from they become offended. They're basically offended by everything now. You have to walk on eggshells around them. To say the rapper preaching about racism had an interesting past is putting it mildly. That's something I find far more concerning.

He has been here before with travellers...when a traveller came on his show and Tommy said the same stuff to him, the traveller laughed heartily and showed up all the woke outrage junkies.

He crossed the line for one member of the audience. No nuns walked out to our knowledge, maybe they don't do twitter. Nor any Irish people who were compared directly to animals. 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

The lad just is not funny...most people would agree that ....also agree that those Rubber bandit dudes have had their bubble burst long ago and have been found out as talentless chancers....

Let's just call it as it is ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is the same man who had a Muslim cleric on his show, invited him to sing a verse from the Quran and then ask, "You're not going to blow up now after this, are you?", which got a pretty good response from the audience and the guest. I think that most people understood that he was picking at the undercurrent of tension around having such a person on the show. Although I don't always like his stand up, I have no reason to believe that he approaches any of it in bad faith. If he measured a joke poorly, it's best just to acknowledge it and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭appledrop

I've just watched Roy Keane interview now and don't now why everyone is giving out about it.

I thought it was a brilliant and fascinating interview. Learnt loads about Roy Keane and thought he was very open for Roy Keane.

The audiences are all cardboard cutouts eh Nevin?

Lets just say Nevin doesn't like Tommy and leave it at that. You can avoid Tommy easily...I do it with Brendan O'Carroll, Jason Bryne, Joe Duffy's Funny Friday. The Kardashians, Harry and what's her name etc. Life is great.

Try it sometime as Paudie Flynn would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Deregos.

You didn't find it awkward at'all, even during the long pauses ?

Believe me Francis ...I do avoid him...so do most peeps ....your list is spot on by the way...all best avoided.

We'll leave it there so ...as Bill O'Herlihy used to say ...

Yeh, just like the Doc, you don't watch but feel obliged to comment on here. 😁🙄 I believe yeh.

Hard to avoid the Dude if you active on social media....always feel it's better to call out these charlatans before they ends up like Darcy on RTE in an obscure afternoon slot on North of €475K.....

If you get my drift....

I'll see you on the Funny Friday, Kardashian, Jason Byrne threads Nevin...not!

Know what I mean? Why wilfully torture yourself? Weird.

Don't think I has ventured into any o them there threads Francie..mind you I nearly dislocated my thumb driving for the orf button on the Roberts when I had forgot it was "Funny Friday".

No ...not for me I fear....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭appledrop

Nope it's Roy Keane, have people actually watched other interviews with him?

It can be like getting blood from a stone, he was actually really relaxed with Tommy(for Roy Keane)

Roy Keane is extremely private, yet in this interview especially in 1st half learnt good bit about him growing up and his family.

That sexologist or whatever she was on the other hand was a total borefest, how to orgasism, give me a break, just talk to your partner instead of wasting time with this one who thinks she is hilliarous 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The joke is in the word play and it's quite funny that the 'racist' and 'offended' had the same thought process. He doesn't say anything directly racist. The people who laughed at it and who are offended were thinking exactly the same thing. They both heard African and taxi driver in the same sentence and came to their own visualisation of a black man driving a taxi.

It's a fairly tame joke for Tommy. Again, this woman has no problem laughing at white people, travellers etc but when it's her own race she can't handle it. She is the racist really if she thinks her own race should be exempt from being made fun of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

In a weird way aren't the people offended the ones who are racist in a roundabout way, they immediately associate the savanna with monkeys ergo a taxi driver is the same as a monkey even tho tommy never said anything of the sort and there's still more white taxi drivers than black so what's their thought process where they immediately take offence because of their own corrupted way of thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Some of the comments in here are eye-opening. Tiernan himself has acknowledged that he made a racist remark and still people here are falling over themselves trying to defend his joke.

Tiernan acknowledged how it could be seen as racist or offensive.

You see it as racist and others don't. Fact.

Can you snip a picture of your evidence for this statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Emer O'Neill will be on with Claire Byrne this morning on her radio show, to express her outrage.

Is she trying to getting Tiernan cancelled? He has publicly apologised, what else does she want him to do?

From O'Neill herself quoting Tommy's email:

'On reflection, who am I as a middle-aged white man to decide what is racist and what is not, what is offensive and what is not to a community that I have absolutely no lived experience in?'

He acknowledges her right to see it as racist, which she did. It is just her opinion though. She has a right to that opinion as I do or anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The backlash has started.

Now the offended black woman is racist.

With defenders like you Tommy better watch his back.

Yeah fair enough, I’ll give you that one. If I’d have been offended like emer and the best I got was that mealy mouthed excuse I’d have given him a piece of my mind. But different strokes…

• Advertisement

She was invited on I imagine. She should refuse to accept invites you think? For what reason should she refuse to speak about it?

trying to get him cancelled seems to be a strange interpretation . She spoke well of their private conversation on newstalk yesterday from the reports I’ve seen though I’ve not heard it yet.

Advertisement