Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

He was in the Zoo..... where there is Animals....... - The comparison is very clear.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So why was he talking about nuns?

Come on. make sense.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think we both agreed it was racist comparing people with animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Maybe he was talking about ostriches they live on the savannah.

You know, the lads that bury their heads on the sand.

Might be a few in this thread. 🙂

Terry Pratchet

He was talking about the proliferation of black taxi drivers in Galway and Dublin. Which may be crass but isn't racist.

It really isn't more complicated than that.

• Advertisement

Why indeed.

Why bother defending Tommy's non joke when he has dropped it from his act and apologised?

I like Tommy's schtick and I enjoy his show most of the time.

I'm happy to let it go at that.

Are you seriously saying that some one with his track record did a Punch cartoon comparison of people to apes?

Deary me, that's preposterous.

You're the only person that I have ever heard say that he didnt.

Terry Pratchet

You need to get out more.

I think that most people know what happened here and that is why this has gone nowhere. Tiernan apologised if she felt offended. Sin é as they say.

You are now claiming to be "most people" 🤣🤣🤣 - 1 person isnt most people

Terry Pratchet

Do we have to do the "I didn't say he did" dance ?

I'd really rather not.

But I will say he wobbled on the line and may have put a foot over it.

What was that line from Sondheim?

"losing my timing this late

in my career"

He will get over it lesson learned.

• Advertisement

So were is the outrage here? Certainly not amongst most people looking at social media. Fairly lame response TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimjangles

Let's forget about the stupid silly joke. It wasn't meant to offend. Some black people are extremely easy offended and if you accidentally look at them crooked or if someone mentions the word black to describe them they become offended. If you ask where a black person comes from they become offended. They're basically offended by everything now. You have to walk on eggshells around them. To say the rapper preaching about racism had an interesting past is putting it mildly. That's something I find far more concerning.

He has been here before with travellers...when a traveller came on his show and Tommy said the same stuff to him, the traveller laughed heartily and showed up all the woke outrage junkies.

He crossed the line for one member of the audience. No nuns walked out to our knowledge, maybe they don't do twitter. Nor any Irish people who were compared directly to animals. 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

The lad just is not funny...most people would agree that ....also agree that those Rubber bandit dudes have had their bubble burst long ago and have been found out as talentless chancers....

Let's just call it as it is ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is the same man who had a Muslim cleric on his show, invited him to sing a verse from the Quran and then ask, "You're not going to blow up now after this, are you?", which got a pretty good response from the audience and the guest. I think that most people understood that he was picking at the undercurrent of tension around having such a person on the show. Although I don't always like his stand up, I have no reason to believe that he approaches any of it in bad faith. If he measured a joke poorly, it's best just to acknowledge it and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

I've just watched Roy Keane interview now and don't now why everyone is giving out about it.

I thought it was a brilliant and fascinating interview. Learnt loads about Roy Keane and thought he was very open for Roy Keane.

The audiences are all cardboard cutouts eh Nevin?

Lets just say Nevin doesn't like Tommy and leave it at that. You can avoid Tommy easily...I do it with Brendan O'Carroll, Jason Bryne, Joe Duffy's Funny Friday. The Kardashians, Harry and what's her name etc. Life is great.

Try it sometime as Paudie Flynn would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Deregos.

You didn't find it awkward at'all, even during the long pauses ?

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

Believe me Francis ...I do avoid him...so do most peeps ....your list is spot on by the way...all best avoided.

We'll leave it there so ...as Bill O'Herlihy used to say ...

Yeh, just like the Doc, you don't watch but feel obliged to comment on here. 😁🙄 I believe yeh.

Hard to avoid the Dude if you active on social media....always feel it's better to call out these charlatans before they ends up like Darcy on RTE in an obscure afternoon slot on North of €475K.....

If you get my drift....

I'll see you on the Funny Friday, Kardashian, Jason Byrne threads Nevin...not!

Know what I mean? Why wilfully torture yourself? Weird.

Don't think I has ventured into any o them there threads Francie..mind you I nearly dislocated my thumb driving for the orf button on the Roberts when I had forgot it was "Funny Friday".

No ...not for me I fear....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Nope it's Roy Keane, have people actually watched other interviews with him?

It can be like getting blood from a stone, he was actually really relaxed with Tommy(for Roy Keane)

Roy Keane is extremely private, yet in this interview especially in 1st half learnt good bit about him growing up and his family.

That sexologist or whatever she was on the other hand was a total borefest, how to orgasism, give me a break, just talk to your partner instead of wasting time with this one who thinks she is hilliarous 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The joke is in the word play and it's quite funny that the 'racist' and 'offended' had the same thought process. He doesn't say anything directly racist. The people who laughed at it and who are offended were thinking exactly the same thing. They both heard African and taxi driver in the same sentence and came to their own visualisation of a black man driving a taxi.

It's a fairly tame joke for Tommy. Again, this woman has no problem laughing at white people, travellers etc but when it's her own race she can't handle it. She is the racist really if she thinks her own race should be exempt from being made fun of.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

In a weird way aren't the people offended the ones who are racist in a roundabout way, they immediately associate the savanna with monkeys ergo a taxi driver is the same as a monkey even tho tommy never said anything of the sort and there's still more white taxi drivers than black so what's their thought process where they immediately take offence because of their own corrupted way of thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Some of the comments in here are eye-opening. Tiernan himself has acknowledged that he made a racist remark and still people here are falling over themselves trying to defend his joke.

Tiernan acknowledged how it could be seen as racist or offensive.

You see it as racist and others don't. Fact.

Can you snip a picture of your evidence for this statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Emer O'Neill will be on with Claire Byrne this morning on her radio show, to express her outrage.

Is she trying to getting Tiernan cancelled? He has publicly apologised, what else does she want him to do?

From O'Neill herself quoting Tommy's email:

'On reflection, who am I as a middle-aged white man to decide what is racist and what is not, what is offensive and what is not to a community that I have absolutely no lived experience in?'

He acknowledges her right to see it as racist, which she did. It is just her opinion though. She has a right to that opinion as I do or anybody else.

The backlash has started.

Now the offended black woman is racist.

With defenders like you Tommy better watch his back.

Yeah fair enough, I’ll give you that one. If I’d have been offended like emer and the best I got was that mealy mouthed excuse I’d have given him a piece of my mind. But different strokes…

• Advertisement

She was invited on I imagine. She should refuse to accept invites you think? For what reason should she refuse to speak about it?

trying to get him cancelled seems to be a strange interpretation . She spoke well of their private conversation on newstalk yesterday from the reports I’ve seen though I’ve not heard it yet.

You don't get to define other people's thought processes.

The black woman was offended.

How do I know?

Because she said so.

As for racist in a roundabout way you really took a wrong turn there.

Might be just me, but I have been offended/hurt by things people have said and rushing onto social media has never been my first, second or even third impulse.

Different strokes for different folk I suppose.

Yes different strokes, the rush to social media by offended Irish people when a sky sports news presenter said the Irish ladies football team would benefit from education on history of the the IRA was one such example.

Kind of a different scenario that. Sky didn't directly offend those people. They took offence on behalf of the team.

I am talking about the offended person heading immediately for social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭techman1

"Boomer in this context refers more to those angry and frustrated middle-aged men who seem to spend their days on Twitter, "

Middle aged men aren't Boomers though, Tiernan is hardly a frustrated Middle aged man either he seems to be now in his purple patch.

The issue is that some younger people cannot just let things go like this woman, all sorts of horrible things are said about white Middle aged men today but nobody calls that out

• Advertisement

i don’t see the immediate evidence of why that matters. If your interpretation is true and they rushed to Twitter because someone else was offended rather than they themselves it’s sounds even less meaningful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Finally someone who posted the joke. Personally I think it is close to bone and many of today’s culture would term it as racist.

But I would argue it plays up to the stereotype that all/majority taxi drivers are black/non white Irish.

And I would argue that Tommy was making fun of a racist stereotype rather than been racist itself.

Because statistically no way are the majority of Dublin taxi drivers working in Dublin are black. That would be a very strange statistical anomaly which does not stack up. However, to think in such a manner you have to think nuanced - many don’t.

There used to be a British sitcom in the 70’s called ‘love thy neighbour’. Nowadays not shown - as viewed as racist. I watched it online to see what the fuss was about. But time after time the white bigot/racist was made fun of and loses by the end of the episode. And his black neighbour is the one who ‘wins’. But to watch it like that you have to have a nuanced thought process. Many in Today’s society don’t do so.

As others have said Tommy is not very funny. A guy who gives the occasional odd interview with interesting viewpoints at times.

But I have to ask where was the furore about Tommy when he slagged off Travellers and the disabled etc?

I remember a black comedian from Nigeria who used to be on Podge and Rodge. He had a great on going Joke ‘they’ are coming over here taking OUR jobs. The fellas name escapes me - big fella with a beard. Used to do stand up as well.

So the rule is only because he is black he is allowed to make fun of a racist trope?

Tonmy is just a bit of a harmless confident eejit who perhaps despite or because of this - has managed to carve out a career for himself in Irish entertainment.

He has shown in his interviews he takes people as he finds them. Would engage with anyone for an auld chat.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Not really, people are entitled to find things offensive. Wasn't that I was referring to.

You said that people these days rushed to social media to document being offended. I just put forward uptheragate as an example of this. You took issue with that because you seem to be implying that it’s ok to be offended on behalf of people and go to social media about that but the others like emer’s offence is less worthy of being documented on social media.

just confused

• Advertisement
Advertisement