Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You don't get to define other people's thought processes.

The black woman was offended.

How do I know?

Because she said so.

As for racist in a roundabout way you really took a wrong turn there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Might be just me, but I have been offended/hurt by things people have said and rushing onto social media has never been my first, second or even third impulse.

Different strokes for different folk I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Yes different strokes, the rush to social media by offended Irish people when a sky sports news presenter said the Irish ladies football team would benefit from education on history of the the IRA was one such example.

Kind of a different scenario that. Sky didn't directly offend those people. They took offence on behalf of the team.

I am talking about the offended person heading immediately for social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

"Boomer in this context refers more to those angry and frustrated middle-aged men who seem to spend their days on Twitter, "

Middle aged men aren't Boomers though, Tiernan is hardly a frustrated Middle aged man either he seems to be now in his purple patch.

The issue is that some younger people cannot just let things go like this woman, all sorts of horrible things are said about white Middle aged men today but nobody calls that out

• Advertisement

i don’t see the immediate evidence of why that matters. If your interpretation is true and they rushed to Twitter because someone else was offended rather than they themselves it’s sounds even less meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Finally someone who posted the joke. Personally I think it is close to bone and many of today’s culture would term it as racist.

But I would argue it plays up to the stereotype that all/majority taxi drivers are black/non white Irish.

And I would argue that Tommy was making fun of a racist stereotype rather than been racist itself.

Because statistically no way are the majority of Dublin taxi drivers working in Dublin are black. That would be a very strange statistical anomaly which does not stack up. However, to think in such a manner you have to think nuanced - many don’t.

There used to be a British sitcom in the 70’s called ‘love thy neighbour’. Nowadays not shown - as viewed as racist. I watched it online to see what the fuss was about. But time after time the white bigot/racist was made fun of and loses by the end of the episode. And his black neighbour is the one who ‘wins’. But to watch it like that you have to have a nuanced thought process. Many in Today’s society don’t do so.

As others have said Tommy is not very funny. A guy who gives the occasional odd interview with interesting viewpoints at times.

But I have to ask where was the furore about Tommy when he slagged off Travellers and the disabled etc?

I remember a black comedian from Nigeria who used to be on Podge and Rodge. He had a great on going Joke ‘they’ are coming over here taking OUR jobs. The fellas name escapes me - big fella with a beard. Used to do stand up as well.

So the rule is only because he is black he is allowed to make fun of a racist trope?

Tonmy is just a bit of a harmless confident eejit who perhaps despite or because of this - has managed to carve out a career for himself in Irish entertainment.

He has shown in his interviews he takes people as he finds them. Would engage with anyone for an auld chat.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Not really, people are entitled to find things offensive. Wasn't that I was referring to.

You said that people these days rushed to social media to document being offended. I just put forward uptheragate as an example of this. You took issue with that because you seem to be implying that it’s ok to be offended on behalf of people and go to social media about that but the others like emer’s offence is less worthy of being documented on social media.

just confused

• Advertisement

I said:

I have been offended/hurt by things people have said and rushing onto social media has never been my first, second or even third impulse.

I wasn't talking about people in general being offended by something.

And then you said that Uptheragate was “different” for a kind of strange reason that didn’t make much sense. I didn’t/don’t understand that difference you refer to carrying any importance.

It was different, because people were getting offended on the teams behalf and Unionists behalf.

I was talking about a person being offended directly and their first recourse or cure for that is to head to Insta or FB or Twitter.

do you think Emer running to social media after being offended is as/less/more worthy than the Irish people who ran to social media to express outrage over the Irish team member being asked about education of the IRA’s history?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

My reading off the joke was that he was walking around the African plains and he saw a lot of Dublin Taxi drivers, inferring that there is quite a few Black taxi drivers, which there is, and that you would see Black people in Africa. At the same time, I can see the train of thought where it could be perceived as racist, which is why the person felt the need to walk out.

It wasn't a particularly funny joke and his act wouldn't have suffered if it had been left out. But he's told a lot more offensive ones, which were a lot funnier in fairness. I've seen Tommy life quite a few times. Sometimes he's brilliant, really funny, and sometimes he stinks the place out.

Comedy is a subjective thing though. I nearly walked out of a Dave McSavage show. He told one "joke" which was vile, and not in the slightest bit funny, and I've quite a dark sense of humour. I stayed until the end, but vowed never to watch him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Who cares if a "black woman" is offended, offence is taken not given, its not my fault tommy may have led them up the garden path but he didn't put any images in their head, it's their problem their go too place is to find offence, in fact I find it offensive that she took offence to something contrived entirely in ger own head, Where's my pity party

I was talking about what 'I' would do or not do.

It's not that difficult to grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

OK fair enough the next question I would ask were the individuals complaining self styled 'activists' using the furore to look for attention, or were they people looking for offence on others behalf?

I myself would be of a cohort that people would be uneasy about making jokes about these days. But I make fun of myself self depreciation.

In my view comedy when done correctly should mean that no group should be immune from a comedy skit. Ricky Gervais does it superbly for example. The day that any 'group' is left out of any comedy skit is the day that that group is 'left out' of society IMO. They are no longer part of the fun/craic or humour.

Naturally this is subjective, but Irish people in particular use slagging/humour as a form of inclusion. To be removed from it the worst form of exclusion in my opinion. As suddenly a group/cohort is viewed as 'other' and is viewed as not being material for stand up/comedy/craic. It is a slippery slope.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

gonna have to do a Paxman…is the outrage expressed by Irish people on Twitter over the sky presenter’s comments that education being beneficial to the Irish team carry more or less or the same validity as Emer’s expressed offence taken by TT’s joke?

• Advertisement

I have no idea, you'd have to have more information on each of them.

I stated what I would or would not do if I was offended/hurt by a joke and it wouldn't be to head to FB, Insta or Twitter.

So you can’t give an opinion on what was more worthy….even though you deliberately posted to say that the outrage over UptheRagate was “different”. Odd to make a post like that if it was meaningless.

It is 'different' because I can't possibly know the motivations of all those who commented.

Jesus, you are struggling a bit here...no?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I'm not here to educate you on my choices when it comes to watching comedians, you watch whatever you want yourself and be happy that people can take offence to whatever they wish without the world ending

I am struggling since you wouldn’t describe why the difference of the two situations mattered. Now you are saying it’s different because you don’t know the motivations of the people on social media in the Uptheragate. So thank you, you hadn’t mentioned that before so we are making progress. You had previously said the difference was the people in uptheragate were offended on behalf of the player/team. So you seemed to understand their motivations 20 minutes ago but ok.

what do you need to know about motivations? Why are those motivations key in this important “difference” you cited between the social media reaction to Tiernan’s situation to Uptheragate?

What?

You introduced the two situations, you work it out for yourself. I have no interest in this tangent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

It wasn't angled to be racist. And btw there's plenty of jokes about travellers, different nationality stereotypes, etc. and no really cares. It's comedy.

This woman's goal is to make agenda's out of this because that's what keeps her in a job. That or/and she's actively looking to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

For someone who by profession is a teacher, she sure as heck loves the limelight.

"Z-list celebrity is offended by a joke at a comedy show she voluntarily attended, will make sure to get a few days in the spotlight out if it".

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

She is probably trying to breath oxygen back into this in the light of what happened Jeremy Clarkson. She is trying to sleigh the big beast and make a name for herself, like the trophy hunters in the African savannah killing the big lions and tigers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I get what you're saying, that every different societal group should be included in comedy skits and be part of the overall slagging, rather than them being excluded just for fear of upsetting them. That'd be worse really, still there has to be some lines in comedy that are never crossed. Not so much with this last controversy, it was more subtle, but in the past Tommy has definitely crossed some of those lines.

Advertisement