Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They won't go homeless. Them standing out protesting that refugees are welcome will give them a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Calling it a farce is being way too kind. If this were a marriage, the behaviour of our govmt would be considered abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Its really now a battle between the amount of cash ROG will throw at the hotels and how much those hotels want to risk community opprobrium. Protests will have been pivotal in driving up the price point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

Don’t worry. Members of the government have been on the radio during the week to say measures are being taken and modular homes are being built so all will be ok in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

ROG has been shown to be completely clueless. It was only days ago when he wished to expand the scope of his open borders policy to embrace those fleeing "climate change". Now he's saying we're full.

Its laughable all the articles talk about 70,000+ coming in, and then theres an obligatory reference to his "200 modular homes" (which have been delayed.)

Greens like ROG can get away with grandiose policies based on 100-year weather forecasts (where they can't be proved wrong), but this asylum racket unravels quickly in real time, and he's just utterly out of his depth.

Post edited by keynes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I see a bus approaching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A bit of humour can go a long way.

But if it is a Dublin Bus under Bus Connects you are lucky to see one these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That woman from Carlingford is off the wall with conspiracies with the crap about UN army plantations.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

UN army plantations stuff is off the wall.

But the only thing about Carlingford that will make it in to the general consciousness is

"they protested"

"Hotel now empty of refugees"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,136 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That’s if Carlingford enters the general consciousness at all bertie, and having been made aware of recent events there, the only thing I came away with was “bunch of loopers”. It’s not any different with any of the other protests you’ve obviously convinced yourself have been a success, in spite of events which would suggest otherwise -

https://m.independent.ie/news/around-100-people-gather-in-east-wall-to-protest-over-refugee-centre-42282420.html

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-implement-special-policing-plan-ahead-of-multiple-anti-asylum-seeker-protests-42279897.html

And as I mentioned in another thread recently, my young lad went on a weekend away hotel break recently, and I wasn’t at all concerned about the hotel accommodating refugees. What I was more concerned about were the likes of this idiot and the possibility of people with similar ideas actually going so far as to carry out their threats -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41046959.html

I know you don’t stand behind that kind of behaviour, I know you don’t support it, but that’s what will stick in the general consciousness - the Irish people involved in that kind of behaviour and how they disrupted innocent people’s lives to promote their own ideology that Ireland was under threat from immigrants or Government 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

How much success you want to ascribe to the protests depends a lot on how you define success.

Obviously none of the centres in Dublin have been shut but I think it's fair to say that the protests have played a large part in putting immigration front and centre in the last few weeks.

The quotes coming out of the FG parliamentary meeting, from five different people, are my idea of success. I think the protests have contributed.

The guy threatening to burn down the centre was as stupid as it was counterproductive.

And this evening there's something coming out of Fermoy everyone is going to be talking about tomorrow. I wasn't there and I'm still trying to get a handle on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,136 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Success is defined by whether or not a person or group meets their objectives. It’s that simple. Protest groups haven’t met their objectives, and they’re unlikely to meet their objectives because they’re about as coordinated as a crèche full of babies fumbling about the place.

As disorganised as Government and local authorities efforts have been, and as apathetic as the public are to their efforts, the apathy is even greater towards protesters disorganised efforts, and ticked off about their efforts which impede the public which just wants to go about their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Our politicians find limitless resources for crises that we have to accept on faith (e.g. <pick your own favourites here!!>) 

Conversely, the crises that have been impacting our daily lives for decades must be ignored (e.g. housing, hospitals) 

Meanwhile our media is busily trying to work out why there's growing hostility towards politicians, I do wonder what those IT Assoc. Editors will uncover ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭creeper1

There's a clear and present crisis coming up. The hotels are going to try to put out the Ukrainians when their contract with the state is up

The Muppets in charge better put an end to this "international protection" racket real fast if they are going to find any room for continued arrivals of Ukrainians.

Absolute Muppets they are.

It looks like Derek Blighes supporters assaulted an undercover guard

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Homeless warning for arriving refugees as Government scrambles to create capacity

Absolutely crazy that it has come to this. So forseeable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

great article here on the hypocrisy from many d4 hypocrites, " house them, just not anywhere near us"...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭Cody montana

This is what happens when you peddle hate and division.

Yep. And Gino Kenny getting death threats. And him and Cllr Vincent Jackson spoke out this week about the harassment. Many other public reps havent spoken publicly about all the harassment they are getting on these issues.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I mean if the hotels are going to cancel contracts then where are these people going to sleep?

Are they going to be thrown out on the street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Talking up all the threats to politicians and sinister elements of the recent protests (while reprehensible) is a complete sideshow to distract from the issue at hand.

No politician or refugee should be threatened or intimidated.

That being said, some nut jobs making threats does not detract from the fact that we are past our point of capacity. Housing, health, education etc all beyond strained already and this is being exacerbated by international protection applicants (near 20,000 of them now) coming in in addition to the 50,000 Ukrainians.

We are now at the point where new arrivals will be ending up on the streets in bitterly cold Winter conditions. This helps nobody and it’s a situation that could be seen coming from a thousand miles away, has been mentioned for months.

To the moralising fools out there who have spent this time calling for continued acceptance of arrivals, pointing fingers, shouting down and labelling any dissenters as xenophobes for daring to mention the realities of our capacity - I hope you are pleased with yourselves.

Too busy getting high off the smell of your own apparently virtuous farts to consider any of the practicalities involved in this situation. I’d well hope ye all have the pull out couches and sleeping bags ready in your living rooms. You are partly to blame for this and the little few of you that aren’t entirely full of shít, I would expect that you will open your homes to any new arrivals lest they are left shivering in the streets.

I’m somehow skeptical that all these supposed humanitarians will do anything other than quietly slink away, satisfied with the bonfire of our infrastructure and public finances they’ve stoked. A great legacy.

History always repeats itself.

These thugs need to be jailed.

Thankfully it’s the minority and most people are welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm sure Gino Kenny will be leaving his party now that his great leader has stopped accomadation recently in his great leader

Post edited by The_Kew_Tour on

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

A modern version of 'world war'. If people won't go to a war, bring the war to the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

There seems to be a real political naivety to the pro immigration side.

Those in government and leading figures in the media etc know what they're doing, most of them. Either that, or they don't care at all about consequences, it's all about the career (A journalist who takes a more balanced view, their career is over basically)

The ordinary supporters would be naive, go with what dominates media, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Leinster House and Farmleigh should be used. Hell, let's stick a few in Michael Ds spare rooms at the Arus.

Absolutely crazy open door policy about to backfire spectacularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

Politicians were on the media during the week saying all is in hand so we will see. If we accept any refugee into the country it is our responsibility to make sure they have a roof over their head. If they are going to be homeless then these refugee programmes must be immediately stopped until after suitable accommodation is made available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭baldbear

So on pat Kenny he asked why does the panel think young males are coming here form safe countries such as Georgia & Albania.

David Cullinane of Sinn Fein compared it to Irish going to the UK looking to make a living.

We need to show empathy. Which is great but seriously our resources are shot to pieces. Is there no normal reasonable political party been sensible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I wonder will all the people cheering on this madness be opening there doors to these poor people.

No they will walk over them on the street to get past them.

• Advertisement

Sorry. Who’s on the street?

What do you mean by this?

Advertisement