Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It looks like Derek Blighes supporters assaulted an undercover guard

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Homeless warning for arriving refugees as Government scrambles to create capacity

Absolutely crazy that it has come to this. So forseeable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

great article here on the hypocrisy from many d4 hypocrites, " house them, just not anywhere near us"...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

This is what happens when you peddle hate and division.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yep. And Gino Kenny getting death threats. And him and Cllr Vincent Jackson spoke out this week about the harassment. Many other public reps havent spoken publicly about all the harassment they are getting on these issues.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I mean if the hotels are going to cancel contracts then where are these people going to sleep?

Are they going to be thrown out on the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Talking up all the threats to politicians and sinister elements of the recent protests (while reprehensible) is a complete sideshow to distract from the issue at hand.

No politician or refugee should be threatened or intimidated.

That being said, some nut jobs making threats does not detract from the fact that we are past our point of capacity. Housing, health, education etc all beyond strained already and this is being exacerbated by international protection applicants (near 20,000 of them now) coming in in addition to the 50,000 Ukrainians.

We are now at the point where new arrivals will be ending up on the streets in bitterly cold Winter conditions. This helps nobody and it’s a situation that could be seen coming from a thousand miles away, has been mentioned for months.

To the moralising fools out there who have spent this time calling for continued acceptance of arrivals, pointing fingers, shouting down and labelling any dissenters as xenophobes for daring to mention the realities of our capacity - I hope you are pleased with yourselves.

Too busy getting high off the smell of your own apparently virtuous farts to consider any of the practicalities involved in this situation. I’d well hope ye all have the pull out couches and sleeping bags ready in your living rooms. You are partly to blame for this and the little few of you that aren’t entirely full of shít, I would expect that you will open your homes to any new arrivals lest they are left shivering in the streets.

I’m somehow skeptical that all these supposed humanitarians will do anything other than quietly slink away, satisfied with the bonfire of our infrastructure and public finances they’ve stoked. A great legacy.

History always repeats itself.

These thugs need to be jailed.

Thankfully it’s the minority and most people are welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,305 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm sure Gino Kenny will be leaving his party now that his great leader has stopped accomadation recently in his great leader

Post edited by The_Kew_Tour on

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

A modern version of 'world war'. If people won't go to a war, bring the war to the people.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a real political naivety to the pro immigration side.

Those in government and leading figures in the media etc know what they're doing, most of them. Either that, or they don't care at all about consequences, it's all about the career (A journalist who takes a more balanced view, their career is over basically)

The ordinary supporters would be naive, go with what dominates media, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,331 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Leinster House and Farmleigh should be used. Hell, let's stick a few in Michael Ds spare rooms at the Arus.

Absolutely crazy open door policy about to backfire spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Politicians were on the media during the week saying all is in hand so we will see. If we accept any refugee into the country it is our responsibility to make sure they have a roof over their head. If they are going to be homeless then these refugee programmes must be immediately stopped until after suitable accommodation is made available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

So on pat Kenny he asked why does the panel think young males are coming here form safe countries such as Georgia & Albania.

David Cullinane of Sinn Fein compared it to Irish going to the UK looking to make a living.

We need to show empathy. Which is great but seriously our resources are shot to pieces. Is there no normal reasonable political party been sensible?

I wonder will all the people cheering on this madness be opening there doors to these poor people.

No they will walk over them on the street to get past them.

Sorry. Who’s on the street?

What do you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

David Cullinane of Sinn Fein compared it to Irish going to the UK looking to make a living.

The honesty should be respected, but it's also a clear own goal against how DP centers are being used at the minute, as they don't exist to support people who want to find work in Ireland.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

If hotels throw out thousands of people and we have no houses to put then where will they go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Emergency legislation will be brought in . Hotels will do as they are told .

However this will just mean more asylum seekers arrive every week seeking accommodation. And the problem gets worse

To the moralising fools out there who have spent this time calling for continued acceptance of arrivals, pointing fingers, shouting down and labelling any dissenters as xenophobes for daring to mention the realities of our capacity - I hope you are pleased with yourselves.

Too busy getting high off the smell of your own apparently virtuous farts to consider any of the practicalities involved in this situation. I’d well hope ye all have the pull out couches and sleeping bags ready in your living rooms. You are partly to blame for this and the little few of you that aren’t entirely full of shít, I would expect that you will open your homes to any new arrivals lest they are left shivering in the streets.

I’m somehow skeptical that all these supposed humanitarians will do anything other than quietly slink away, satisfied with the bonfire of our infrastructure and public finances they’ve stoked. A great legacy.

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well at least the issue is being spoken about in MSM. Irish Times article on Jury's - tick, radio discussion - tick. etc.

It is subtle, but I reckon the Government are making outrageous statements like Greenie O'Gorman and climate change, you know - to rile us up into outrage. Then a few days later they say we are full, asylum seekers under IP will be on the streets.

I think the liner is turning, as always slowly but it is now.

They will surely do everything to prevent it. If refugees end up on the streets then all the government politicians reputations will be essentially destroyed for life. They may have to go with the far right policy of capping the numbers, which will also ruin their reputations. Other than that, is there a way out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

How is capping the number of people coming into our country a far right policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Can't believe the craziness.

We are still taking in bus-loads of male migrants from Calais and the Mediterranean.

They need to be told that if they accept Ireland as their destination, they will be living in a tent.

There are literally no other options available.

That is widely considered a far right policy. Only very recently politicians who tried to suggest that we need to look at limits as we are at capacity were aggressively shouted down in the Dail and portrayed as racist in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I despair, so basically let in anyone who wants to come here, an open door policy.

How is capping the number of people coming into our country a far right policy?

Any kind of sensible idea of not taking in more than we can accommodate is labeled far right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Compulsory Lease Orders on hotels might be next. Emergency legislation in one hour.

Speaking common sense gets you classified as far right these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Such is the age of wonders that we live in, you don't need to rely on the media framing and editing of what happened last night in Fermoy. You can actually watch the whole incident yourself. Quite a few possible takes on it.

https://twitter.com/IrlagainstFash/status/1616169412955881477

https://twitter.com/EamonnVIDF/status/1616147937410547743

Gino is another story. Most politicians at one time or other must have dreamed of giving up on reelection and just telling their constituents what they think of them.

Gino is living that dream.

https://twitter.com/BligheDerek/status/1614025038201585665

He is behaving like he's given up on getting back in. And it seems to be having a really liberating effect on him.

https://twitter.com/gearoidmurphy_/status/1615083354675707905

Given that it's Gino I'd have my doubts about whether he has received all the threats he claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

It's backfiring on us though, not the govmt. The media are equally complicit and will be learning us by attacking this (i.e. us) from both ends: 

- they'll appeal to our peasant migrant heritage welcoming "our friends from Ukraine", congratulate us for being so "trusting",..

- while simultaneously continually threatening us with <pick your favourites!> if we allow the right-wing extremist element to take root

On the upside, there'll be lots of funding available for creative Historians to start capturing (re-writing) how this caring govmt steered the ship towards "modern Ireland" (now, what are those synonyms for traitor)

Advertisement