Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

This is the kind of success that matters to me and that I've been waiting for.

https://archive.ph/k2V9K

The FG Parliamentary Party meeting last Tuesday.

Calls for a tougher stance to be taken on so-called illegal immigration into the State have been heard at a meeting of Fine Gael politicians, with the issue moving to the centre of the political agenda

Carlow-Kilkenny TD John Paul Phelan - people who arrive and are suspected of having destroyed their papers en route should be “deported immediately”.

deputy leader Simon Coveney also raised concerns about migration

Limerick County TD Patrick O’Donovan - immigration had to be discussed and that Fine Gael should lead on this.

Former minister Regina Doherty, now a member of the Seanad, told colleagues that she was concerned about raising the issue of illegal migration previously, but now felt that she needed to.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar also addressed the issue briefly. He last week told reporters that the Government was discussing “more appropriate and more robust” border controls to combat illegal immigration.

Senator Seán Kyne, who told the meeting that migration issues and controversy over the location of a direct provision centre in his constituency – which ultimately did not go ahead – was a factor in him losing his Dáil seat in 2020.

If protestors were addressing the meeting themselves they couldn't have put the points better.

-----

By the way your (quite correct) point that the protests are "disorganised / as coordinated as a crèche full of babies fumbling about the place" somewhat flies in the face of the mainstream narrative that they are expertly organised by shadowy right wing groups manipulating the misguided locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That used to be called common sense.

And I don't much care if our politicians are harassed or targeted as I now see them, and history will prove me right, as enemies of our state and our citizens.

And you can include the media in that as well.

Quislings the lot of them.

I am not allowed discuss …

The other, obvious and realistic, option which has already been tried successfully in Denmark is to put time limits on the assistance available to our "refugees". 6 months or a year and then your support is cut off. This flies in the face of EU directives but it hasn't stopped Denmark.

No need to round anyone up and deport them, they deport themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

Guaranteed he and many other of the "Let them In" Crowd would flip very quickly if was suggested that we house them in their Communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Emergency legislation brought in to help with an emergency caused completely by government policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Yep . Just like the 6 month eviction ban and countless other examples.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

On Monday you have Green Minister for Integration Joe O'Brien saying that we can expect at least the same number of Ukrainians as we had in 2022 and that it is our moral obligation to acommodate them and open a path to permanent citizenship.

On Wednesday we have another Green minister Roderic O'Gorman saying that Citywest is now full and closing and that future arrivals may have to make do with food vouchers and sleeping on the streets.

This is the level of ineptitude we are dealing with. One Green minister saying 70,000 more at least will come next year, a couple of days later another Green minister saying we are full. Do they not even communicate with eachother before talking to the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Agreed. If they can tell you that you can no longer evict people from your home. They will gave no problem throwing millions at hotels and telling them to do likewise...

Post edited by Murph85 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Talking about converting an old factory in Shannon.

Not fit for human habitation says the local Govt TD.

Perfect then says Roderick O'Gorman I'll pack in a couple of hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Denmark has been accused of pursuing openly racist policies against Syrian people by a variety of human rights groups. They appear to be in serious breach of the European Convention on Human Rights but don't even seem to care. It's as if Priti Patel or Suella Braverman is framing their legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Denmark is very left economically and socially.

You can hardly expect them to take a Reaganomics approach to it.

I am sure the Danes couldn't give a flying fook.

Perish the thought they would in breach of the European Court on Human Rights.

Wasn't that what the British were in breach of when they wanted to extradite that one armed one eyed sicko Abu Hamza al-Masri who preached death to infidels.

Says it all really.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Of course it is only speculation whether the person who struck the undercover Garda was a protester or an agent provocateur.

However it seems unusual that people involved in these protests, who, as the media and posters here have pointed out, are also anti mask, anti lockdown and anti vax, should choose to wear masks. The only individuals wearing masks apart from the undercover Garda.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

The Headline is "Ireland has run out of accommodation" the rest isn't really relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I actually dont accept your suggestion this wasnt all planned, premeditated and coordinated no. The National Party speaker didnt drop in from out of inner space. The National Party leafleting in Ballymun the next day didnt just happen as a coincidence. Sourcing leaflets, getting them printed and paid for, getting volunteers to leaflet Ballymun would all have been well planned and organised beforehand. The "Ballymun says no" didnt drop in from outer space. It would have to be printed and paid for. Nah its clear few people from the National Party riling this up behind the scenes so they could step in with their speaker and their leaflets and their volunteers and their money to order the banner.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well, they are also adopting an 'eff you' approach to their European neighbours - many Syrian refugees who have tried unsuccessfully to claim asylum there have had no choice but to move on to other EU countries and apply for asylum in those states (which wouldn't be doing much for Denmark's reputation). They sound remarkably like English Brexiteers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It’s amazing that a former minister was previously afraid to bring up the issue of illegal immigration. What other illegal activity would a member of cabinet be afraid to condemn?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There was a piece on the TV3 news earlier that non-Ukranian arrivals would be given food vouchers, but would need to source their own accommodation as there is no supply.

The best part of the quote was that the department was urging those already in safe locations not to travel....

... Why are we (STILL) entertaining such people in the first place???!! If they are ALREADY safe then they can hardly come here looking for protection!

There's only one reason for them to come here at that point, and it's nothing to do with SAFETY! It's for handouts and opportunities, for which there are already ways to apply legitimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Where is the outcry about this lack or accommodation for future refugees?

No one seems to care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The NGOs care alright. They have to protect their industry after all!

You'd really have to come and see a (rare) protest that there was any NP presence at. They stand apart from everyone with their banner looking pretty Spode-ish. They don't interact apart from handing out leaflets. And most people see them as oddities.

As East Wall 4 All have shown, you can have nothing to do with a thing and still hand out flyers.

When the NP are there it's because they want to associate themselves with the protest as a kind of advertisement. They don't add anything to a protest and the way they can undermine one is pretty obvious.

They're like AIG and Dublin. They want to associate themselves with success but no one thinks they deserve any credit for it.

There are a couple of Ballymun residents in the NP. That's why an NP member was there with a megaphone on the first night and they rallied the troops the following night when the rest of us showed up.

(You're paying them more attenton than I would but the "Ballymun Says No" poster showed up at a later protest. The first weekend all they had was their generic "House the Irish not the World" one)

Come along to the Shelbourne tomorrow (Sat) at 2. The NP may show up - who knows. But East Wall rules mean if they do they won't be let display party banners or give speeches. (We're even promised a counter protest)

If I was you I'd be much more worried about Fine Gael than the NP.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

NP guy with a megaphone in the middle of the crowd talking at everyone isnt standing apart from the crowd

Leafletting the entire ballymun the next day... 😅

Your stories just dont add up

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

That didn't take long. If you don't like it you can always go home.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0120/1349919-refugee-families-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I'd have no problem with genuine refugees, it's the parasites that I have the problem with. Unfortunately our government can seem to differentiate between the two.

I would be very. Very. interested to know why exactly Dolcain House in Clondalkin has been deemed unfit for further use as emergency accommodation "due to fire safety concerns".

It was presumably fire safety compliant as open plan offices. Now, divided up in cubicles, it is not. Makes sense. Evacuation times greatly reduced.

From a fire safety perspective how does Dolcain House differ from say the Gateway Two Office block being used in East Wall?

Meanwhile, 148 people seeking international protection are to be moved out of a building in Clondalkin where they are currently being housed due to fire safety concerns.

Dolcain House was offered to the Department of Integration for use as emergency accommodation for international protection applicants.

The department said that the property was deemed safe by an independent inspection.

However, it said Dublin Fire Brigade is not satisfied with the current fire certifications for the building.

"After significant engagement with Dublin Fire Brigade, that office has stated that they are not satisfied with the specific fire certification arrangements that exist currently in the building to allow a continued use for residential accommodation", the department said.

It is understood the 148 residents will be moved out in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

A fire would spread rapidly through those cubicles. Overcrowded with no modern fire escapes. Full of children . A disaster waiting to happen. As is East Wall .

There is a hotel lying idle in Dublin btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It'll be aircraft hangers, pallet racking and forklift trucks next

Advertisement