Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Well that was poor after a bright first 10 mins. Any long ball in just went straight through the centre back line. Clare were terrible in the air or even stopping the ball going through. Nolan was roasted in the corner but the other two ,Hogan and Cleary did ok ish. Tipp must have had 10 goal chances. I know it's Clares first game of tbe year and the result isn't the issue. The performance was poor. No game plan that I could see. You could see Tipperary had a plan..The usual Liam Cahill running game. I dont see it doing much damage against Limerick but ut was effective today against the terrible half backs of Clare. Clares forwards were poor aswell. All individuals, no interplay . There were some good scores from Rogers and aidan McCarthy but both are individual types..There isn't any of the desire to link up like a Seamus Flanagan has. They are greedy. Duggan on the frees was like a young Giraffee attempting to swing its head ..comedy at times. 4 missed. Get Rogers on the frees . Overall a poor first effort. Things can only get better but im having serious doubts about the pattern im seeing. There's no gameplan or pattern of play.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Don't understand why anyone gets overly worked up over results or performances this time of year, given your a Limerick supporter when it suits you last year must have hammered this home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Good to see Rodgers and A.McCarthy back hurling for Clare, could be a big year for those two

Patrick Crotty also one to watch.

Crotty, Mounsey ,Rodgers..all the forwards can take a score very well. I'm just just not sure if the interplay is there. It might come,early days. It's the backs that are the main issue. John Conlon is irreplaceable at centre back. Hogan looks very good ..very steady and calm.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭fire_man

Any one at Clare v Cork today.Clare could struggle in Div 2 this year.I think we will struggle up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

We are favourites to go down every year and are going in to our seventh year in Division 2 so wouldn't write us off, it will be an almighty struggle to survive as usual. Mcgrath cup is only glorified training, wouldn't take too much notice of results. We are only an injury or two away from a crisis in the forwards alright. Keelan Sexton will be carrying the burden there. Midfield is another position where we don't have many options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1YpJkgeOdAjJj

highlights of the game today , glorified challenge game although cork did look fairly full strength

i agree we need the fringe players and new lads up front to start contributing more its the same players all the time , keelan scored 0-3 points , cleary 0-2 , 0-1 point for jamie malone before going off injured 0-1 point for his replacement pearse lillis , and one for podge who came off the bench

despite kicking 3 points keelan must have kicked 4 wides from play and bad ones at that , we kicked 0-3 points from play to corks 2-07 , we kicked 6 shots short and a further 8 wides from play

need to see a huge improvement from gavin cooney , aaron griffin , ciaran downes , even dermot coughlin and daniel walsh , its time now for these players to step up or be dropped at this stage a lot lot more is required ,

in terms of the league , i wouldn't fear cork if we are full strength epically at the back, the team we had out was a mixed bag , when we are full tilt we will do enough to hopefully gain a top 4/5 position in division 2 given us a deaccent shot of staying in the all ireland series and avoid the tailtainn cup . louth , limerick , cork ,kildare and meath are all teams we have beaten in the past so we should have no fear against them

https://twitter.com/MunsterGAA/status/1614676218531528704

good work out in the park before the start of the league in 3 weeks time , keith smyth , Davey Conroy , and paddy Donnellan laid down markers for places on the squad with impressive showings this afternoon , Gearoid O’Grady and Jack Kirwin also put down markers for a place in the league panel with good hard working cameos

eamon foudy looks the part between the sticks , his puckouts look sharp , and the tipp game last week showed him to be a really good shot stopper , much better performance today from brandon o connell , a player with real potential at this level , good to see mikey gough and john coneeley get runs out two , two really good young players for the future

arron shanagher had 2 shots on goal , scored 1-1 , mark rodgers chiped in with 0-4 from play , aidan mccarthy notched over 8 frees and two from play in peter Duggan's absence , david mc at 6 shored up the gaps exposed by tipperary last week also .

strangely enough waterford made little effort in attack down the straight they now miss out on a place in the final next week which surly would have been a help to there development before the league

Will have to take 4 points from Louth and Limerick both at home I think.

Dublin and Derry are away, so we will get nothing there.

Then you have Meath, Kildare and Cork all tough games but if we could pick up 2 points there somewhere it would give us 6 points which would be enough yo stay up most years

Points will be hard to come by. Limerick under new management and buoyant after promotion. Louth have Mickey Harte in charge and will be no mugs. Meath looking to bigger things with Colm O Rourke, Kildare also want Div 1 football with Glenn Ryan in charge. Cork I think will surprise a few people this year and will take a few scalps in div 2.

It will be a bear pit as usual, if we don't pick up too many injuries we could survive.

Leauge is a great competition, couldn't give a fiddlers about the championship that's only for the Kerrys and Dublins of this world.

Kilmihil/Shannon Gaels will enter as an amalgamation in the senior championship this year, both will play as normal intermediate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Is that the only amalgamation for senior championship? Naomh Eoin/O'Currys/Kilkee didn't work as lads had to play two championship games on same weekend.

Senior , then play the next day intermediate, or when ever

They will be training together through out the year though as one team I am led to believe, so it sounds like they are going to take senior seriously

You would imagine they would be putting less influence on the intermediate championship ,

hey have been together for years at underage so in terms of training, not much is changing for most players

I am not sure if the two clubs want to join up as one just yet , plus it would require 75% approval from both clubs members to go through , this makes sense , no relegation from senior, we got relegated last year , Gaels missed out narrowly on promotion

Are Coolmeen not coming in with this amalgamation aswell?

This is just a natural progression for rural clubs, the sad reality is that the playing numbers aren't there anymore. Not much that can be done at training with 6 or 7 players with two or three clubs coming together there would be 20+ to work with.

The county board need to back this and not have the clubs involved playing two championships games on the same weekend, they gave no backing to the peninsula amalgamation a few years ago

The days of a rural club in West Clare winning a senior football championship is almost a thing of the past. To compete with the big population bases I think it is now time we adopted the Kerry model and had 8 senior clubs and then had four Divisonal teams North Clare, South Clare, East Clare and West Clare. This would benefit the County team, make the Intermediate and Junior championships a lot stronger and give every footballer in the county worth his salt a chance to play senior championship.

now adays every young lad goes to collage then travel for a year , or head abroad fro work for a number of years , and it disrupts progression from underage to senior , plus the numbers are down population wise in the last 15 years , every now and then a plan b is needed

i dont think it will last forever but it is going to be a feature of the next ten years at least in clare , so it makes sense if clubs want to survive and weather the storm

not sure where coolmeen stand at the moment ,the board need back it but also provide more game weeks for players to get a break , the group games would have to go in my opinion and the championship revert back to the way it was run up until 2018 and a more knock out basis

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

Being a Galway man all the great hurling clubs such as Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry, Kiltormer, Ballygar, quite frankly looking at this from the northern border it does seem inevitable the GAA will have to pull the finger out and come out with a special plan for rural areas that aren't within the radius of their urban counterparts which can be frankly a lot more difficult for a remote area such as West Clare, even Kerry clubs are struggling hence the use of their divisional outfits to keep football standards really high.

P.S. Accidentally clicked the multi-quote button hence the response on this thread mea culpa.

The template is there in Kerry and Cork. There's great pride I'm their divisions, especially Kerry. I think Clare could work with 4 divisions. It would take a fair degree of work and alot of buy in. Anything is better than these amalgamations of 3 and 4 clubs for a period and then it falls apart. With the divisions you'd have secure clubs confident they'd survive as stand alone entities but players have the chance to play higher levels. It's so Dumb that the Kilkee 'peninsula' amalgamation didn't work out.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

It would need support from the board re fixtures not clashing and also money to help deal with the extra costs incurred with running an amalgamation, it's a big win for the county team to have players playing at a higher level.

Was a big ask for the lads to play two championship games on same weekend. Clare also has a lot of dual players with football and hurling so they a few very weekends to play additional championship games. kerry don't have to worry about hurling and can run off club championships before the county championship.

it depends on how many players are playing two games in a row , if say coolmeen can offer 3 players to the starting 15 then kilmihil and the gaels will only need to use 6 players each for the senior game both teams resting 9 , if you only have 2 teams amalgamated both teams would be using half their first team before any subs are used

i think one game in 2019 o currys used 13 players between starters and subs for the westeran gaels , then had to play the next day intermediate

i dont think the kerry intermediate or junior chapionships are group stage , so there are less games , but they do this in cork too in both codes , duhallow in football and imokilly in hurling both won county titles in the last number of years , duhallow from the kanturk area had a lot of hurlers on it at the time , i hope it works out here

Would Killimer not go in with them? kerry intermediate and junior have group stages.

• Advertisement

kilimer have some excellent players but have no underage conection with the 3 other clubs , kilmihil, kildysart the gaels and coolmeen have had several underage teams in the last number of years which made this so easy to put together , you could make a really strong team out of cooraclare, kilrush and kilimer but i dont think any of them are that interested , kilimer just want to concentrate on wining junior and going intermediate , they are not that far off , while the other two clubs would probably prefer to be senior on there own given their history

Team for Sunday.

good side , will have to do better in front of goal then the qualifiers last year and even the game up at quilty in the McGrath cup , its a good forward line even without Tubridy

subs bench looks good in fairness ,

stephen ryan would make a fairly deaccent outfield player at this level at full forward or midfield , good option to still have for goals

darragh bohannon is unlucky not to start , has developed into a really good midfielder , collins has some job done with him self and cathal o connor

gavin cooney : best forward in the club championship , probably feeling the effects of the munster campaign with eire og , he'l be back

aaron griffin : would be on most hurling counties extended panels at least given how well he played for ballyea last year , impact sub not far off

ciaran downes : from his club exploits has the makings of a fine midfielder , all about finding a position for him that suits at this level

shane griffin : lightning pace caused the world of havoc in the 2020 and 2021 club championships even looked good against kerry when he came on

mark McInerny : will come good in time still very young and full of potential , we all owe his father a pint in ciarans ...

brian mc : has huge potential but still very young was excellent against kerry in the munster u20 last year could be a very important player for us yet

Darren nagle : was tipped to make the breakthrough a few years back , had a fantastic year with liscannor ,deserves his chance

Ikem Ugwueru : delighted to have him on the panel , will make a huge impact , his ball carrying skills and strength in the tackle is huge , had a fine year with the club in both clare and munster

Daniel walsh , : has the ability to fill jamie malones shoes , showed great promise in both sigerson and league before getting injured 10 months ago huge potential if he stays fit

Clare 0-13 Louth 1-9

lucky to say the least , sean lonergans watch must have stoped in injury time to allow us win this one ,with 70 minutes on the clock it was 1-9 to 0-9, clare had kicked just 9 points form 24 chances created only Four of which had come from play , we found another gear to see off a very unlucky louth side , had it not been for a david sexton point blank save at the start of injury time from ryan burnes this one would have been over and louth up the road with the 2 points

scores from jamie malone , gavin cooney daniel walsh and emmit mcmahon in injury time were the diffrence , clare forwards badly need to start breaking the line more insde the 45 , for far too long today we played the game on louths terms shooting from distance and most of the time shooting wide , when clare broke the line inside the 45 in injury time we kicked 4 points from play , we only managed the same from play in the previous 70

feel sorry for louth , they had this and lost it , sam mullroy is a fantastic footballer , kicked 5 points today ,Connor early kicked two excellent points , and ciaran downey took his goal well , had ryan burns taped his shot over the bar rather then going for the Juglar i think louth would have seen it out

Clare scorers

Emmet McMahon (0-03 2f),

Eoin Cleary (0-02 2f),

Keelan Sexton (0-02),

Gavin Cooney (0-02 1M),

Jamie Malone (0-02),

Mark McInerney (0-01 1’45)

Daniel Walsh (0-1)

Did 4 points come from the bench ? That’s crucial in such a low scoring game

2 cooney and daniel walsh , emmit mcmahon and jamie malone started , the younger lads did well too today , the likes of mcmahon and ronan lanigan , and goalkeeper sexton , this whole run by collins was started by building a team around the likes of gary brennan and david tubridy , we dont have anything lime them now , but there seems to be a bit of guts form the younger lads which probably got us over the line today

sorry you are right i taught you were on about the 4 points at the end of the game , yes 4 points from cooney mcinerney and daniel walsh off the bench , i bigged the 4 of them up in my preview yesterday they didnt let me down ......

Clare showed a bit of heart to get over the line I will give them that. I also admire that they pushed up on the Louth kick out and obliterated them in midfield in the second half.

Being realistic this was a relegation battle and Clare are very lucky that their season isn't over before it started. Someone said at the game what are the Clare coaches being paid for and they are right. Their attacking efforts were pathetic hadn't a clue how to break down a mass defence. Let's call a spade a spade our forwards were awful. Cleary is totally off form, Sexton went off injured but hadn't exactly lit it up. Emmet Mcmahon kicked a massive free and he gained confidence from that and kicked some great scores, I feel he needs to get in where it hurts a lot more from general play and that's goes for all these younger players coming in, they might be playing Singerson but I think that competition is way overblown in its prestige. We have plenty of nice footballers on paper but there is a definite lack of steel about this Clare side, I thought the subs that came on were very, very poor apart from Cooney. This win will give them a lift but they have a lot of work to do.

I saw how physical Kildare were against Dublin, I saw Meath beating Cork in Cork. To be honest I can't see where our next 2 points are coming from, maybe Limerick at the end of the campaign but I wouldn't be putting money on that either.

Yes indeed. I don't know much about Louth, but their subs didn't contribute much.

It's very pleasing to win a tight game at the end. Similar to the wins v Meath and Roscommon in last year's championship, it's becoming a nice trend.

I'm a bit more optimistic than the poster above. I think it will be difficult to compete v Dublin or Derry, but I can see all other games being quite close.

Kildare won't be easy, but especially being in Cusack Park I think it'll be close. Meath, Cork and Limerick are all a similar level to us, so showing a bit of steel and fitness in the closing stages will be the difference between winning and losing.

• Advertisement

i agree with most of this , kildare were a division 1 team last year , they really should have won that game , dublin are about two months behind them conditioning and sharpness wise , also if kildare give them that much space to shoot in the summer they will get trounced

meath look good under colm o'rourke , dominant win away from home , i cant see us win sunday

as for relegation , i dont think we will go down if we lost it could be a far more different story , 3 home games against 3 teams we have beaten regularly over the last 5 or 6 years , we should be wining 2 of them 3

bang on about the Sigerson cup , its over rated in my opinion

Advertisement