Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The argument that refs need more training to understand and implement the rules is interesting, seeing as how the players and management all get exactly zero training about the rules but they all feel qualified to comment on the inadequacy of the refs understanding of them. Maybe instead of having "more training for referees" we could have an obligatory rules training for all managers? Because it is not in the least bit unusual for them and their players to talk out of their holes about the rules during matches. You could train them in respecting the ref and in fostering that respect among players while you're at it, teach them what their mothers and fathers failed to do. It's farcical how refs are treated by lads who are in no way accountable to anyone for their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Yes coaches especially senior club level and inter county level should be getting briefings before every season with the ref development officers or whatever they call them in GAA who go through rule changes or what refs will be focusing on for year ahead.

If you want to change how refs are respected starting with adults is too late. it has to start with kids. u10/12/14.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Of course its feasible. Players in rugby need to clarify things with the ref more as so many things are down to the interpretation of the ref.

How many times in a GAA game do players actually need clarification from the ref? 90% of the time (an estimation on my part) when players initiate conversation with a ref it's to complain or abuse.

Not sure I agree with that last point. First, what's the basis for the idea that an adult can't learn to be more respectful? Second, who is going to be teaching these kids to respect refs? They will be playing under adult managers, who will be their major source of role model for how to approach officials and the game in general. You can't bypass the adults and somehow expect the kids they train every week to learn respect somehow. Like it or not they will learn respect, or disrespect, from their mentors. Who else is going to be teaching them respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Is there a refs body independent of the gaa that could come out and defend them now and again? Get specific on the details if they need to. I'm conscious it could set a narrative. But I feel the week is going by and basically it looks like a gaa captain can use his chance on the mic to settle his score with the ref, who may have been wrong or right but at least gave an honest effort, and that's all fine. Doesn't seem right. On Sunday I actually expected Clifford to come out and apologize. Says a lot about the attitude to refs. He wouldn't have football games to play in if lads weren't as foolish as they currently are by reffing them. It's beyond thankless at this stage.

• Advertisement

Yeah it would be great if a player could just once in an interview or speech not just thank the refs but call out the players themselves to show a better sense of appreciation for the work they do, to say something like "in the heat of battle we sometimes lash out at ye but please invested that we do appreciate the work you do, and I think we all as an association need to do more to improve how we treat the man in the middle". Could leave it at that, but I'm betting that would do more to improve things then any efforts from the administration of the gaa etc, because it would be coming from a player who has everyone's respect, in a moment when they are getting adored anyway. Genuinely think it could have a transformative effect very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Only saw the clip of P Clifford's speech there, absolutely embarrassing stuff for him and a bad way to end what has been a brilliant year for him.

Fairly poor that the GAA haven't mentioned anything about it or come out in support of the referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

] dont think so. There probably should be a refs association that would be responsible for training, appointments of refs. etc

Would need full time ref development officers across the provinces with biggest counties getting one of their own.

Its always been thankless job but media and tv in some ways makes things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,655 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

While Paudie was incorrect from what I hear there is extenuating circumstances in the background to why he was upset and emotional about getting send off.

On the refereeing in general I was not at the match but talking to a lad whu was. He taught that the referee left Stewardtown away with a lot of pulling and dragging off the ball. I cannot understand how with four umpires and two linesman at this level that pulling back attackers and a constant hold on there jersey's is allowed.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well, we can all get upset and emotional. You can use that excuse for anything. He was rightly sent off for what he did, then decided to take a cheap shot at the ref. And nothing from the GAA. No condemnation from his club, his county, and the media.

Maybe he should have talked to the ref first, to understand what the ref sent him off for. Or take some time to review the match? No, far easier to blame the man in the middle, the guy with all the responsibility and none of the respect.

I agree that the officials should be doing way more, but imagine if they actually did. How many frees, yellows and reds would be in the game? As it was one team that had 30 frees against, the ref called them up every time the other team had the ball! Can you imagine the uproar if there was even more? Every player, mentor, supporter and pundit would be decrying the ref for ruining the flow of the game, 'sure let the game flow!'.

Then you would have had Clifford complaining that the ref wouldn't let the players play!

The ref can't win.

• Advertisement

I am not excusing it I am say there is a reason he was emotional. I did not know about it until the last twenty four hours.

If officials send off a heap of players once then players would learn. I have coached at underage and adult and you play to the edge allowed. However all good coaches will know how far to push.

If the ref had dished out frees and yellow cards early on the pulling and dragging off the ball stops. What is not acceptable is the ref facing play seeing a forward held and dragged and a sweeper collecting the ball and that continued for alot of the game.

The Stewarttown players then reacted at the end of the game when the ref started to actually give the frees.

Players learn from being punished on the field not being rewarded. No player will give a f@@k if he is red carded ten minutes from the end but collects a winners medal

I have huge sympathy for refs in club games often reffing a game with no umpires or linemen and trying to get on with it

I presume that all these guys were miked up last Sunday even if not it's a matter of bringing it to the refs attention the next time there is a break in play.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

As alluded to in other posts now is not the time for an official comment on Paudie Clifford's speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It was poor from Clifford. Less of the excuses lads. Top GAA players get a way with a lot because of excuses thrown out.

Paudie was shown the line a rightly so.

The ref was ok. He wasnt the winning or losing of the game and certainly doesnt need that kind crap being directed at him by a player who should know better.

The ref has a family and personal life too. But it seems only the top players are entitled to that excuse when it comes to poor performances and making mistakes.

I never said anything about making excuses. What you said about family is a two edge sword. Take a hint the media has gone completely silent on the issue, the GAA hierarchy have initiated no proceedings there are other extenuating factors involved.

Slava Ukrainii

Your first line was "While Paudie was incorrect from what I hear there is extenuating circumstances in the background to why he was upset and emotional about getting send off." That is an excuse. How you know of these extenuating circumstances or what they are you have never made clear.

You then say that the rest of us should take the hint since nobody has mentioned it. Again, without any actual detail.

But what circumstance, going on in the background, could realistically allow him to take shot at the ref like that? What did doing that do to help him with these circumstances? And if he was so emotional and upset, was it really right to let him stand up in the stadium, on national TV, to give a speech? If those around him know of these circumstances, was it really wise to let him give the speech or even play the game at all?

I'm sorry, it all sounds like BS. GAA was staying silent because they hope with the other national finals taking place this weekend that it will all be forgotten about. Tough on the ref, but GAA are not going to risk any bad PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

"other extenuating factors involved" is little more than lawyer talk. You might as well say that aliens came down and took control of Paudie Clifford's brain and made him do what he did and say what he said in the post match speech. Until someone actually comes out and tells us what those factors were it's a meaningless comment. If those factors are made public then we can have a different conversation.

And even if some terrible event took place during the match to make him behave as he did it didn't stop him celebrating wildly at the final whistle and doing it very much in the face of the opposition. I've heard several excuses this week and the vast majority of them amount to little more than "Keep crying!" and "Sure, a man should be allowed to express himself when he wants". In other words, terrible behaviour will be tolerated just so long as the cup is on the bus home.

And as for the lack of comment and follow-up from the GAA, isn't it just another instance where the GAA decide that the course of action is no action and let's just sweep it all under the carpet. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

It's GAA talk lads when a superstar or a parish star steps out of line on the pitch or something similar. Excuses are made for him yet Referees and officials are fair game no matter what might be going on in their lives.

It;'s difficult to get Referee and from what I hear the situation is getting worse in most counties with games being postponed or canceled due to a lack of a ref.

Moronic comments like Clifford's are unwarranted. He was rightly sent off regardless of what went on before it. He had no recourse to question his sending off at the moment in time. There is an appeals process for that.

Nobody is excusing the speech. It will be dealt with in due course.

The circumstances, last Sunday, for the Clifford family were, and continue to be, exceptional. Sometimes there are more important things in life than football.

• Advertisement

Not more important than football for Clifford though it would seem. It only became an issue when he was finished playing apparently and wanted to fire a shot at the ref.

Taking it as true about the exceptional circumstances, and I have no idea either way, why was he even playing? That the man was so emotionally fragile that he has to be excused his behaviour of openly questioning the ref calls into question why he was let play the game in the first place.

Did winning really mean more than the man's emotional state? If we accept the bona fides as the exceptional circumstances argument, that in itself raises very serious questions for team management. Surely they have a duty of care to the players not to put such a vulnerable individual into such a high-intensity situation?

This too. It's a GAA thing.

Excuse a fella for a poor speech or another situation where he abuses a ref or a player because he has stuff going on in his personal life. But the same lad is well able tog, play and go on the beer after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Referee let a lot go from both sides early in the game.

Exactly. If he'd have blown the whistle every 5 seconds the same lads would be complaining.

When the circumstances emerge, as unfortunately they will, come back to me and let me know if your attempt to score a few internet points were worth the effort.

Absolutely hope the chaps are ok and it's nothing serious. But we must remember that the referee in question also has a personal life, is a volunteer and it's tough for him to be questioned like that on national TV.

If these circumstances emerge, I fully expect that the mentors & teams members will be questioned about why they felt it was appropriate to have in play in such a state.

It is deeply unfortunate that the ref ends up being the one to pay the price for their collective refusal to take the right approach and putting winning ahead of their teammate.

It would be a very common occurrence for players to play in such situations. As I pointed out the media have completely moved on from commenting on what he said. I imagine the referee know the story at this stage and understands the situation.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

What do people think about Kilmacud Crokes laying the blame on the referees for the 16 men on the field as a stance to not replay the game?

• Advertisement

KC are incorrect blaming the referee. They failed to get there man off the pitch they have no one to blame but themselves

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement