Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Meter - Energy Tariffs

• 20-01-2023 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭

Has anyone "activated" their Smart Meters yet and signed up for any of the Tariffs below?

Home Electric + 24 Hour

Home Electric + Night Boost

Electric + Weekender

Electric + Standard Smart

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, but I did have the smart meter removed for a Day Night meter and signed for Energia EV tariff. Currently paying 28c day 7.5c night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,459 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Was there a charge to remove the smart and install the D/N?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

How did you get this rate?

Listed on their website Energia EV rate for a day/night meter is .47 day and .13 night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,459 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Prices have increased. It is fixed at sign-up date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im on the Energia EV plan as well even though I dont own an EV. I signed up in August and I am on 30c day 9c night but it was even cheaper than that in July, something like 28c/7c. Signing up to that plan when I did has saved me a fortune because aside from the cheap rates its a fixed price contract so I avoided the price rises across all supply companies in October and there might be another round of price rise soon which Im exempt from as well. Only problem is when this August comes around Im not going to get anywhere near as good a deal and my electricity bill will sky rocket no matter who I go with. But that Energia EV plan is currenrly saving me a small fortune, my last bill was only 156 for 2 months usage, it would be almost double that at current rates.

As regards smart meters I wont be going anywhere near them. Theyve already got annoying ads on the radio telling us to check if it is windy outside before using the washing machine between 5 and 7pm. The grid can barely handle the demand because of all the data centers so now they'll use smart meters to ream anyone who dares turn a light on between 5 and 7 so they can dampen down consumer demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nope

It's no longer fixed for new signups I believe, but yes, my rate of 28c/7c D/N is fixed until July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭donaghs

Did you have to get Energia or ESB networks to replace the smart meter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭JoeCat

We are being charged the highest prices in Europe according to this piece. That's real Rip Off Ireland, together with the none sense ecological energy, paying more than anywhere else:

https://www.independent.ie/business/revealed-how-irish-households-are-being-charged-the-highest-prices-in-europe-for-electricity/a643287541.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so mods please feel free to move if not.

We recently bought a house that alreadyhas a smart meter installed. It was a prepaid Pinergy account AFAIK. I applied to FloGas for a switch as a new customer & for the standard non-Smart rate tariff. They’ve come back to say that :

“ The rates that you have applied for are not suited to your meter as you have a Smart Meter and therefor will have to be put onto our smart rates.”

Now I know that once you’re on a Smart rate you can’t switch back, but we’re not on ANY rate as it’s a new house/new account. I’ve tried googling but I can’t find anything specific to this. Does anyone know if I can request a standard tariff as a new customer? Any advice/links to more info would be very welcome, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Flogas are probably the most expensive in the market.

Electric Ireland have the lowest standard rates and now charge the same no matter what meter you have.

I suspect Electric Ireland will be under pressure to announce price reductions very soon as it is semi state and even though independent, an ear can be bent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

No, I had the same problem with a brand new build. The builders signed up to an Energia smart tariff while completing the build which tied me to a smart plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

It’s a case of once the meter was activated by a smart plan the meter itself was reconfigured. The meter determines what plans you can get, not the account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@walterking

Flogas are probably the most expensive in the market.

Electric Ireland have the lowest standard rates and now charge the same no matter what meter you have.

When I switched providers 3 months ago Flogas were the cheapest and EI were more expensive than my previous rate. 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I must have misunderstood the information and i see now that once the meter itself is configured as "smart" you're stuck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Flogas have a fixed rate of 38c - that will stay the same for 12 months. Cheaper in the short term than others, but price drops are coming and if you are on that rate you will soon find you are paying quite a bit more.

Flogas standard variable unit rate is the dearest in the market. (over 60c)

My business bill for April came in today and the rate was just under 29c (SME variable market rate with energia - changes each month as per the wholesale market and includes about 10 cent distribution charges). Traditionally business rate was higher than domestic as primary use is daytime, so domestic rates will be below 30c by autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Only recently got smart meter fitted not sure what to do with it as not due to renew contract until the winter time. Does it mean a new contract has to be renewed when activating the smart meter?

Looked online and says it should not affect current contract but then says smart tariffs so a bit confused as to what to do!

It should have no bearing on your supply contract. It is ESB Networks that provide the meters and not your Electricity Supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nbenn

@starlit I'm the same. I've a day night meter and they are telling me it it won't affect my current EV tariff if I install a smart meter. But what about the end of my current year contract. Could they basically push me over then?

I asked them and they wouldn't give me a clear answer (Energia). If that's the case I'm thinking I'll just refuse the smart meter so I can stay on my current plan.

Anybody any experience of this?

Unless, there is something specified in your current contract, I don't believe any supplier can "push" you onto a completely different tariff when your contract runs out. They will just move you onto standard rates which are in their best financial interest.

Advertisement