Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not unwilling to admit anything; but if you can show me where child abuse exists within the IDEOLOGY of Sinn Fein, I'll take your point. Instead you trotted out histrionic whataboutery about Sinn Finn - once again - while also again missing the entire point being I was making. I'll repeat: ideology. Nothing to do with the criminal or ethical failings of the party & members within. Sure they all are at that to one degree or another. Ideology. Ideology.

Actually no, I take it back: you just agreed with me that the DUP are religious fundamentalists, so your about-turn into a whatabout on Sinn Fein even more of a tedious time-waster - and without purpose except that impulsiveness to automatically have a dig in at The Other Side, lest the honour of Unionism be excessively besmirched by uppity folk South of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

So the NI Protocol is in the past and therefore doesn't answer the question as to why you might or might not vote for the DUP.

But you will support the DUB because of the NI Protocol

Well at least we know your thinking is beyond logical scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Quite clear what I was challenged ie the attempt to paint the largest unionist party as somehow ‘badder’ that the largest nationalist party.

I detest some of the conservative positions taken by many within the dup around lgbt etc, but not quite as much as I detest the justification of murder ongoing in sf. I don’t like either. I don’t hear many in here expressing their disgust at O’Neill saying there was no alternative

It’s really very simple.

I hold the dup significantly to blame for the protocol.

I believe the most effective use of my vote today to oppose the protocol is dup.

I might seem strange but it’s true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So just a thin excuse for finger-wagging then 'cos there isn't parity of offence in your eyes; at least be honest about it. But that you can't actually understand the point about the difference between core ideology and a functional lapse of morality or ethics means this will only go around in circles.

It's just a myoclonic jerk for you at this stage; what's that DUP bad? Oh well SF bad too WHAT ABOUT THEM?? Yes downcow, SF bad, but that wasn't the point being made. I think you know this, cos nobody's comprehension is that brittle, but anything for a dig. Think it's best I just put you on ignore 'cos this thread has no value getting sidetracked by your tedious Pavlovian ability to protest too much. Adios.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ugh more deflecting whataboutery.

Im talking to YOU about YOUR vote, the fact you cant and wont answer without pointing fingers speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm puzzled Francie but abstention is a valid political strategy and has been used many times in democratic society.

It's not very productive for the citizens and they will have a choice in the next election as to how to respond.

But as the current rules allow, the DUP are doing nothing wrong.

Change the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Abstention from the parliament that is doing you the harm is legitimate...however holding a parliament/executive that cannot change anything hostage to your demands is not.

The Executive could have intervened on Irish language and RHI but it cannot on the Protocol. IF the executive was allowed to vote on the Protocol, it would vote to keep it currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Surely though you can see that the DUP can argue that the NI protocol implementation is doing them harm. So their abstention is legit in their eyes. Yes they are the authors partly of their own misfortune but we are where we are etc etc

Change the rules of the Belfast/ GFA - so that groupings other than nationalists or unionists can have a say. Then have a new assembly election. That'll clarify matters and hopefully shift the logjam.

Problem with that is we all suspect that neither the DUP nor SF would like this as it might weaken the 'them or us' campaign narrative and lead to a loss of seats and influence??

It may be doing them harm. But holding an executive with no power to satisfy them, hostage is the problem. They should be holding the implementers and originators of the Protocol hostage.

I welcome the idea that the rules are to be changed btw.

• Advertisement

my memory is hazy but I seem to remember that sf demand for re establishment of stormont was that Arlene would stand down as leader. Also something that the assembly had no direct influence over. Don’t see the difference.

SF asked that she stand aside(not her resignation) to allow a proper inquiry as others did too. When she wouldn't (with the support of other Unionist parties) SF collapsed the Executive and the inquiry took place.

The Executive had the power to make her stand aside.

The executive had zero power to make her stand aside. The only for sf was to collapse the entire institutions for 3 years and it completely failed on the objective you just outlined as they had to pack up their pride and come back in with her as FM. Indeed she would have been gone much sooner but for sf failed bullying tactics

Not surprised you don't know how you Exec works. Here you go...the 'power' to remove is there.

Vote of no confidence[edit]

The Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP), Ulster Unionist Party (UUP), Alliance PartyPeople Before Profit (PBP), Traditional Unionist Voice (TUV), and the Green Party signed a ministerial exclusion motion under Section 30 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998, which would formally remove Foster from office.[25] Although the opposition had a majority in the subsequent motion of no confidence, the motion did not pass because of Stormont's cross-community procedures.[26] This section was intended for removing politicians from office if they became involved in paramilitary activities.

Colum Eastwood, SDLP leader, said that Foster "should follow the precedent set by her predecessor and resign to restore confidence in the office of first minister while these questions hang over her". UUP leader Mike Nesbitt called for the MLAs to "come together and protect the reputation of the institutions".[27]

After three hours of debate, a division was called and MLAs voted on the motion. Of the 75 members voting, 39 voted to exclude her from office, while 36 MLAs voted against. Although a 52% majority had thus supported the vote of no confidence, under Stormont rules, the vote was a cross-community vote that required the majority of nationalist MLAs and unionist MLAs to support it. 100% of nationalist MLAs, but only 29% of unionist MLAs, voted to exclude Foster, meaning that Foster survived the vote of no confidence.

You are simply backing up my point. They had zero power to remove her (unless of course her own party turned on her - fantasy stuff). I also said that they failed in their objective and you have also confirmed that.

What do reasonable people think here. Is Leo speaking with integrity and is there a possibility he will shift his position towards a more fair evenhanded approach, which could lead to an election and the reestablishment of stormont.

certainly saying some more interesting stuff about the protocol being imposed over the heads of unionists. He seems to be a slow learner but I certainly did not expect the unionist community to be achieving as much change so quickly

What utter nonsense. Her own party removed her eventually and the next guy too.

The power to remove a First Minister exists.

He is simply buttering up the DUP to accept the Protocol with a few tweaks. BTW he said 'over the heads of Unionist and Nationalists' and that is a criticism of your Government who proposed and signed it into law.

"I do have regrets and a regret that I have is that in the same way Brexit was imposed on Northern Ireland without the support of both communities, the protocol was imposed on Northern Ireland without the support of two communities," he said.

Varadkar 'regrets' issues on way protocol implemented (rte.ie)

• Advertisement

So we are agreed he thinks it was imposed on the unionist community without their consent (and they don’t like it). It’s irrelevant whether it was imposed on the nationalists without there consent as their politicians have now given it their consent - indeed they have asked for its rigorous implementation

its a bit like saying that a United ireland will be imposed on both ni communities without their consent - we know what that riddle really means

Yes, your government imposed it on you just like Brexit was imposed. Your late monarch signed it into law...your laws.

Governments do that all the time. Like they did on women's rights and Language rights and the traffic laws etc etc.

This isn't news.

It may not be news to you guys in the south but both items were headline news up here. Both that Leo thinks the current minimal implementation of the protocol is actually still too strict and that he is acknowledging that it was implemented over the heads of unionists and that he recognised that it is impacting the perceived sovereignty of unionists.

this is all very different language that we were hearing before the unionist community held the dup to account on this.

And I told you what is happening.

It is generally called 'politics' and more specifically diplomacy.

The DUP are being provided with a way to climb down in a form of words and gestures. The Protocol is going nowhere.

Dublin knows this, The British know this (Steve Baker and Challing are doing the same thing, also Sunak) The rest of the EU know this and most of all the DUP and Donaldson know this. He responded in kind and welcomed the comments.

Whether he continues with it, and climbs down, is up to him. Your senior political correspondent Alex Kane seems to think he will. But he cannot say he was not given the chance to save face.

Everyone with any political wit knows what is happening.

P.S. It was meant to be 'headline news' up there, see how Leo's words were manipulated to look like he was only talking about Unionists.

So you are iggesting at the end of this we will get the ‘rigorous implementation’ that all the nationalist parties called for? I think you’ve got the face-saving a little too one-sided

I see the Scot’s are following the northern Irish with increasing numbers not wanting independence from our Uk. Nice for both countries to be heading this direction given all the challenges of brexit.

Oh I couldn’t agree more. That’s why it is very important that the test is met with a clear answer.

your post should demonstrate to all those on here who are struggling to understand the need for unionists to keep stormont down. Any reestablishment would be sending a very dangerous message

Yes, you will get rigorous implementation of a Protocol that has used the flexibility built into it to reach a deal. As you have been told multiple times now.

Jeffrey will claim a win over themuns and will get over it, and find a form of words like this to make him out the winner.

Rinse repeat the Anglo Irish Agreement, the GFA etc etc.

• Advertisement

The 'threat' is being ignored @downcow

Sunak and his team are ploughing on regardless and a deal will be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement