Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭phog

1. Why should Munster make it easy on Scotland
    2. Why shouldn't we bring him even as a bench option and maybe that's one of the reasons why we have him benching on Sunday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

We often get Irish squad players back on a Thursday for a weekend match. He could return to Limerick Wednesday night and be selected on the bench on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I feel like this munster pack with no lock on the bench (again) and just two reasonably light back rows as non front row depth would be basically breaking the laws of rugby physics if they beat toulouse. It’s just not how its supposed to work lol.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They are going to have to put in their best performance for quite some time I think.

Looks like Toulouse are pretty much fully loaded and they will be wanting a victory to ensure they have home advantage all through the next phases.

Not impossible , but going to take a pretty big showing from Munster to even get the LBP I think.

Yea, Kleyn, Beirne and Coombes have to have their best games of their season here to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Beating them up front is a big ask, so I think even with that, you’d still probably need Joey to have his best game in years as well.

I don’t see it happening, but it’d be a hell of a time to deliver it.

Well yea, they need them to play great to just hang with toulouse. This will be another game where coombes will play lock for 20 minutes probably as well, after being double tackled for 60 minutes. The degree of difficulty on his performances recently are super underrated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He’s gone 80 in each of the last 6 as well. It’s been a serious shift.

On top of this, the sheer volume of work he's gotten through is pretty incredible this season. I pulled together the data I could for Leinster, Ulster & Munster (more complete data set for Ulster, and a caveat that Ulster have still played a game less), but Coombes has had 154 carries this year across all competitions (excl SA A game).

That's 48 clear of the next highest player (Stuart McCloskey - 106), no Leinster player has over 100 (most is Sheehan with 96).

He's done it at an acceptable 2.4m per carry as well (which would be 44th amongst players at those three provinces who have a minimum 20 carries this season).

He has the joint second most tackles for Munster this season with 122 - (behind Jean Kleyn on 129, Niall Scannell & Jack O'Donoghue strangely on the exact same number as Coombes with 122).

He's played the second most minutes of any backrower amongst the three provinces with 803 mins this season (only behind JOD on 909 mins). Next closest to him would be Nick Timoney on 729 mins. No Leinster back rower has played over 650 mins.

He leads all back rowers in tries with 8, two clear of JVDF on 6. Amongst all players, no one is close at Munster to that mark (next is Niall Scannell at 3). Ulster's top try scorer is Tom Stewart with 7 (ahead of a glut of guys on 3), while for Leinster Dan Sheehan has scored 9 tries, and Rob Russell at 7.

I know stats don't tell the whole story all the time, but it's hard to look at all those areas for Coombes and not say he's having an excellent season so far. I'd have him in my match 23 for Wales in Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What do we need from todays games ???

Tbh us going into the Challenge Cup might not be the worst thing and if we got back too our best you never know

• Advertisement

We need Ulster to beat Sale. No one else can pass us for the 8th spot but that would mean a final 16 v Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Cant see the stormers losing to clermont. So they will go to 15 points and 2nd place.

Cant see anything other than montpellier winning so they go to 12pts and 6th.

If ulster beat sale they cant go past 8th so munster are guaranteed 7th at worst, with a losing BP sunday making no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Clermont not doing too bad but Stormers keeping the lead is favorable too Munster

Yeah, Munster are through after the Stormers win. An Ulster win would then mean that 7th is lowest Munster could finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looking like we could be playing Saracens so assuming Saracens, Montpellier and Toulouse win.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oppiuy

If it is Saracens away, how likely is it that the game would be moved to a bigger venue.. Copthall only has a 10.k capacity and I'd imagine there would be a demand for tickets for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Doubtful, if they have any cop on they'd know it would end up with more Munster than Sarries fans,also they love playing on the artificial pitch so wouldn't give that up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Saracens move a league match to Tottenham stadium occasionally. Tottenham are away for weekend of the last 16.

I doubt it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So if montpellier lose then we could face a trip to sharks in the last 16. It would be almost easier to go away to Exeter / saracens than go away to Sharks

Saracens still have to play. They win and Exeter drop to 3rd and Sharks to 4th.

• Advertisement

Lose by less than 22 points and we stay in 6th place, win without a BP and we stay in 6th place, a BP win should move us up above Toulouse, points difference could be the decider

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

We’d need to get a 5-0 win by 3 points or more or a 5-1 and beat them by 18 points

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That was some great defense from Munster, but Toulouse were just relentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Daly narrow twice and poor tackle as the last man for that try.

Strong defence up until that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

What was that from Frisch

About as fierce and as physical an opening 12 mins as I've seen this year. Toulouse's physicality is awesome. 3 tackles in a row there (on Carbery, Coombes and Hodnett) knocked Munster back around 30 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Toulouse out for blood. The power and aggression in some of the hits are unreal. There'll be some very sore bodies after today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Cmon Munster, get it wide. Stretch them. Run their big lads off their feet. Next 15 mins are crucial. Need to stay in it. Toulouse will tire after about 30 to half time. Stay close on the score board til then.

Jesus, talk about putting your forwards under pressure. Three forwards left to chase back there on the loose ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Carbery is really struggling in the face of this Toulouse pack. Been hit behind the gainline a few times and knocked on.

Advertisement