Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not at all. I've shown that the planet is getting greener, plant life is thriving. We need to do more reducing waste, protecting waterways and natural environments etc. I just disagree with the premise that everything is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

It didn't need to, as I said before the savings come from the marginal price being set lower due to lower cost wind being in the electricity mix.

if we didn’t have wind, more gas plants would have been needed, and at that the more expensive ones too. this would have brought the strike price up even higher, so all kWh on the grid would have been more expensive. The bid in for I SEM price for wind is very low, so the more we have, the less higher priced gas we need, so the last generator through the gate so to speak will bring a lower strike price bringing lower cost electricity to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Industrial farming is not "the planet getting greener" or "thriving".

How many organisms are going extinct. If I replace a pond full of wildlife with a stagnant mess of algae, the pond is now greener and with more plantlife than before.

If you have data, show it,otherwise its nothing more than an opinion.

Nothing wrong with that, of course, it just doesn't carry much weight if you are claiming the numbers are wrong.

You seem to have questions about the figures from the dept. I pointed out where you can go for more info, i.e. the dept that published them. You don't want to, fair enough. No skin off my nose, I have no opinion on the validity of the figures either way beyond offering you a source.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best 😊

It's NASA data I'm referencing where they have indicated a 15% increase in the regreening of the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Kincora2017

Some catastrophes are happening right now. Plant life may be currently thriving (although tthis will decrease as they get used to higher levels of co2), but Biomass decrease of insects is happening at about 5% per year in the same timeframe which is utterly incredible really.

No insects = no humans.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0185809

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"The remainder is a sequestration-ready stream of CO2."

So you are still left with the original problem of how to get rid of the CO2. And unless you can do that it's greenwashing.

Low tech approaches to getting rid of CO2 would be pulverising bedrock in Asian deserts or dumping iron sulphate into the oceans. Mega engineering would be making the arctic freshwater again to start another Azolla Event.

Indeed and it’s great to see more widespread planting of wildflowers and beekeeping, which admittedly are two small measures but a step in the right direction. Stricter controls on pesticides over the past 30 years is another good step but needs more work. However, this can’t be put at the door of climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Poor attempt at deflection, not even you the arch greenie could be so stupid as to believe the figure that 27k houses were retrofitted last year to the specification as outlined by Eamo Ryan last October, but no doubt you will be quite happy to accept the GP massaging the figures, very sad, expected more from you.I have a sneaking suspicion the GP are planning to select you to run in the local elections if you are not already in that position.😉 Your unquestioning loyalty(myopia) should be rewarded.

PS. Request gone in to Dept of ECC for break down on figures but i wont hold my breath.😁

Post edited by kabakuyu on

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Kincora2017

actually Wildflower planting and beekeeping arent the solution, or at least that’s the current thinking.

The number one thing is no more habitat destruction, then less intensive farming, coupled with allowing areas (even very small areas) to become unkept and rewild. If you allow nature some space she’ll take care of the rest naturally. rAfter those, arresting climate change comes in about number 3 or 4 on the list- lower, but still incredibly important.

Post edited by Kincora2017 on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What is the cost of a new battery for an EV and how long do they last on average?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't use tour headlights, don't turn on your wipers, heater, indicators or radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

So you are still left with the original problem of how to get rid of the CO2. And unless you can do that it's greenwashing.

CO2 can be sequestered underground. If done in basalt rock or peridotite it mineralises extremely quickly. CO2 transport by pipeline is already done routinely and thousands of kilometres of pipeline exist. If done at high volume, transport costs fall below $1/tonne/250km according to an IPCC Special Report on Carbon dioxide Capture and Storage. A research article on CCS looks at US availability of geological storage sites and separates out the costs for carbon capture, transport and storage. There are thousands of gigatonnes of capacity in onshore and offshore sites. Carbon capture from fossil fuel plants is the most expensive component at $50-$80/tonne, while they agree with the IPPC report on $1/tonne/250km for transport and as low as $5/tonne for storage. The Allam cycle therefore eliminates by far the most expensive element of CCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I will. Funny how you have assumed my gender, twatish behaviour from you again. Hows the GP selection process going for you.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Not only unreliable. Green cult does not understand that the more of wind and solar you got the bigger headache you create for the grid. Summed up pretty much with just one word.

Frequency.

More and more making positive decisions in their lives to help the environment

Great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

More propaganda, who is recycling a 2021 survey? This leads on to the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication, so no bias there obviously. 🙄 The survey agency report is here. Who is pushing this press release I see Kevin O'Sullivan in the Irish Times, is doing his usual churnalism.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

Some interesting figures from that survey

• survey of 4,000 people which was carried out by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 
    • one in three people in Ireland (35%) said they have often or occasionally chosen not to eat meat for environmental reasons over the past year,
    • about six in 10 people (61%) will more frequently buy from a company that has taken steps to reduce climate change
    • 56% said they plan on “punishing” companies that are opposing steps to reduce climate change by not buying from them
    • a large majority (85%) are concerned about the issue, with little variation among counties or rural and urban areas
    • 79% said climate change should be either a high or very high priority for the Government
    • 62% saying climate action will improve economic growth.
    • Almost all respondents (93%) agree climate change is caused by human activity in some way, with 60% saying it is mostly caused by humans, while 33% said it was equally caused by human activity and natural changes.
    • 95% also believe future generations, developing countries (94%) and plant and animal species (94%) will be harmed by climate change while just under half (47%) believe people in Ireland are being harmed right now.
    • Most respondents (88%) believe climate change is affecting the weather in Ireland
    • 75% believe extreme weather poses a high or moderate risk within the next decade
    • In terms of concerns, water pollution was at the top at 81%, while 70% were worried about air pollution
    • Sixty four per cent were concerned about severe storms, while over half were worried about flooding (56%) and 45% were concerned about extreme heat.

Director of the Office of Evidence & Assessment Dr Eimear Cotter said the EPA’s interactive maps, which were released in conjunction with the survey findings, show “high levels” of awareness and worry about climate change in all counties.

“At a national level, the maps show a consistent picture across the country of high levels of understanding about climate change and support for climate action, with little variation depending on where people live,” she said.

With numbers like these its little wonder that climate action is coming to the forefront of every govt decision. Its just good politics.

SF have a very poor record in speaking up about the environment but I expect this to change as we get closer to the next election as they know that they'll be punished by the electorate if they don't start taking it seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Good to see the majority of the 4000 people polled don’t believe that humans are 100% and the only cause of climate change- unlike certain posters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

you forgot a tiny part of that article

The vegetation cooling effect is large from the energy dissipation perspective, but only about 10%-20% compared to the pace of global warming. The cooling effect from greening is less significant in tropical forests with high leaf areas.

The EV bus fleet in Athlone had its launch yesterday

I found it an interesting stat that Athlone town bus service has 10,000 weekly passengers and those numbers are up 20% on 2019 figures. Thats phenomenal growth.

Also good to note is this comment from ER

“I’m also delighted that this change is starting in Athlone because the other big difference afoot is the upscaling in rural transport that is happening,” Mr Ryan said. “In 2022, we connected 67 new towns with buses and that number will continue to climb.”

I knew LocalLink was growing fast but I didn't realise it was that fast

Some further info from below

• Its a 10 million euro investment
    • The new fleet will reduce CO2 emissions by 400,000kg annually and will deliver a quieter, cleaner bus service for the town and passengers. 

I believe the existing fleet of buses will be moving to Carlow town to allow for a town service to start there. Those too will be replaced with EV versions in time too

Things are looking up in the world of PT 😎

Columbia joins a growing list of countries banning new oil & gas exploration. That list seems to be getting longer every few months

The final meeting of the Citizens Assembly on Biodiversity took place today. Did many others watch it live?

Suffice to say the current protections for biodiversity are pretty poor and the assembly was pretty clear that more needs to be done. I'm looking forward to reading the final report when it comes out

The assembly was convened last year to consider the threats of biodiversity loss and how to reverse it; the main causes and impacts of biodiversity loss; and how to improve the government’s response and measure progress.

After months of discussions and listening to experts, the 99 members and chairperson Dr Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin voted on over 100 recommendations in November, including a vote that garnered 83% support for calling a referendum on a Constitutional amendment about biodiversity protection.

The assembly’s conclusions included that the State has “comprehensively failed” on biodiversity to date.

At the November meeting, members agreed to seek an extension from the Houses of Oireachtas for more time to debate and vote on recommendations related to agriculture; freshwaters; marine and coastal environments; peatlands; forestry, woodlands, and hedgerows; protected sites and species; invasive species; and urban and built environments.

After the assembly concludes its voting, a final report is to be prepared and presented to the Oireachtas in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Ah shure they dont need the oil exports. The market for cocaine is booming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

ER was on"Morning Ireland" the other day. He is going to solve the problem of charging electric vehicles by installing charging points at local sports pitches. So when you go to your next football match you can queue up to charge your car. Dont expect to get to see the match though the waiting time could be long.

This is the logic we are dealing with.

• Advertisement

And boy are those towns gonna need it with the latest Green party idea of allowing all Ukrainians to just stay here and be given citizenship, along with the projected 80k+ plus due to arrive this year as well.

Advertisement