Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best ev for boot space and comfort

• 17-01-2023 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭

We are on the look out for a new car (newborn twins means we are tight on space).

We had been thinking along the lines of an x5 or a Skoda kodiaq but I’m thinking we need to consider an electric car at this stage.

Our main requirements is space, particularly boot space and comfort, we currently have an e-class. I’d also like to know rough estimate for maintenance costs, tyres etc.

We have PV on our house so will primarily be charging from it. Our budget is quite flexible up to c65-70k but obviously more than happy to spend less than that too.

I’m also interested to hear people’s views of the 2nd hand ev market, what is putting me off buying an ev is that the 2nd hand market for them doesn’t seem to be thriving so when it comes to trading in, I’ve concerns about what we’d get for it.

Any advice, recommendations welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

It's a big budget and would get any of the following in order of boot size (with 10-25k to spare)

Model Y

Ioniq 5

Id4/Enyaq/Q4 Etron

Ev6

Higher price bracket would be, don't know much about these:

BMW iX, they have some new ones coming out too.

Etron (very inefficient)

Merc EQ range

A lot of these will be on long waiting lists, second hand you'd also have the Model X as an option,.comes.in 5,6 or 7 seater. They're rare enough though.

Check out evdatabase.org for real world ranges etc..

This is a handy link for comparing car sizes once you have a shortlist.

Solar PV won't run a car unless you're doing tiny mileage, or have car parked at home during the day a lot. These big SUVs use 20-25kwh/100km, for 15,000km a year that's 10kwh per day just for the car (approximately). Fine in summer but not winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

then theres the frunk..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So in terms of space, I can confirm the ID.4 can fit a big double buggy flat in the boot (Out n about Nipper double) and still have a bit of spare space

You can also fit an adult between two car seats in the back, although my wife was complaining it wasn't comfortable. I certainly wouldn't have much chance of getting my ample arse in the middle seat

Maintenance costs are usually quite low, there's nothing really to service so you're often only paying the basic inspection price plus some pollen filters. Branded garages do like to make money however it can be good to shop around

Tyres can be a bit dependant on your driving style. If you've got a lead foot then you can go through them as fast as any car. If you can be conservative then the tyres should last longer because the regen braking is easier on them

However it's worth remembering that with big SUVs with big fat tyres comes big prices for replacement. You could be looking at €300 per tyres for premium brand tyres

I'd say there's two main issues with the second hand market for EVs right now. One is general lack of supply, there's examples of people selling 1-2 year old EVs for as much as they bought them for. For some context, my version of the ID.4 costs around €15k more than what I paid in 2021. So I could probably sell mine with almost zero depreciation without any problems

However, the second issue is that Tesla has recently significantly lowered prices on their cars. We're still waiting to see how other brands respond but there's likely to be some price cuts coming up

With new cars getting cheaper then it'll probably push down the value of second hand cars. Now tbh, you're probably still looking at much lower depreciation than you'd see with other cars

In terms of buying one, I'd recommend trying to be flexible about exactly what car and trim level you get. There's long waiting lists, but there's also order cancellations all the time so if you're in the right place and are willing to put money down straight away then you could have a new EV within a few weeks

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭crisco10

with that budget you’ll have a good selection, but the Ioniq 5 is worth considering, below our experience with young kids..

Have a 2 and 4 year old, and an Ioniq 5. Car is huge inside, we keep 3 buggies in boot ( out and about double with wheels on, out and about sport single with wheels off, umbrella buggy) on a day to day basis and there’s still a little space to stack a few bits on either side.

back seat, the 2 rear facing car seats fit behind passenger and in middle seat. So behind driver is available for adult passenger. My mother in law sat there for 2 hours straight and claims it was fine, but she was besotted with the kids at the time so who knows. Lol

then up front, the big flat floor gives great feeling of space.

I keep all the ‘car stuff’ in the frunk, e.g. charging cables, puncture kit. Means it’s easier to access and out of the way.

average consumption is 17.5kwh/km for last 12 months with mostly suburban driving then summer holidays. 800v fast charge was handy for road trips on the continent with lots of high speed chargers to avail of. And there was frequently a McDonald’s co located which has reliable food, and playgrounds too.

re depreciation, was only looking today and in the current market, I could sell it for about e3k more than we bought it for last February. But as others have said, that could be a temporary thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭eltoastero

I'm having a good experience with 3 kids (5, 3, 7 months) in an EV6. At any one time it can fit a bugaboo cameleon + balance bike + littleBigBike (for the 5 yo), or say a babyzen yoyo + enough bags and gear for a weeks holiday in Ireland. That's with the false floor in the boot removed (it's in the attic, essentially forever).

There seemed to be more room in an Ioniq 5 when I test it (it took the 3 child seat a little bit more easily) and the boot might have been a tad bigger in practical terms.

I previously rented a Model 3 for a weeks holiday (when there were only 2 kids) and it took the bugaboo and the weeks luggage + gear no hassle, so it's worth considering too (especially after the most recent price drop). I would have been happy with the bootspace for 3 kids, but it wouldn't have been wide enough to take the 3 child seats. The Model Y might solve that issue (but I haven't tested it)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Are you in Dublin or Cork, if so make an online appointment to test drive the Tesla Model Y, you're mind will be made up as they are currently ridiculously priced and have oceans of space, order now and you'll get by March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I've rented a Polestar 2 for the weekend in Spain, heading to a friends birthday. Am I delusional to think it might take 4-5 carry on size bags and 5 people comfortably?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

While they can be great, I would avoid a Tesla due to problems with build quality.

Polestar might be worth a look.

Please elaborate, OP is looking for a new car, what build qualities are coming from Tesla Shanghai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'll admit that I don't like the looks of the Model Y, but with the price drop it's the best value of all the vehicles in its class now

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah, much prefer the look of the 3 to the Y, but mother of god they are extremely well priced for what they are…..

Software & tech is still years ahead of the competition, and most/all of it comes as standard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Also prefer the look and dynamics of the 3, but the Y will be a hard one to beat. Hard to explain to people unfamiliar with Tesla, but they are the nearest EV to an ICE for convenience and simplicity. Doesn't matter where you are going, almost no planning needed.

He said a big car, is the polestar not a bit pokey. It's considerably smaller than the Model 3 for example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Aesthetically, I’m not a big fan of teslas but willing to take a look at them and look beyond that if they deliver on other fronts.

The Ioniq 5 is of interest, it certainly looks to have plenty of space.

I still have reservations regarding the 2nd hand market for EV’s. I guess the ownership of EV isn’t established enough yet to show what the 2nd hand demand will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Considering you are not a fan of the Tesla look and you were considering a Kodiaq, an Enyaq 80 might be a good option. Lots of space and residuals likely to hold up better than the ID4. Expensive compared to a Model Y but if you’re trading something, you’re likely to do better with a Skoda dealer than the Tesla trade in valuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

I recently got an Ioniq 5 and have the little man in a rear facing car seat and there's load of space. We have an Uppababy Vista buggy which is a big wide yoke and the seat part (detached) side-by-side in the boot and they just about fit width ways. There's plenty of room left then for a few shopping bags, etc.. I haven't packed it up for a trip yet so not sure how that will go yet, I'd say it will be fine though.

I know the car is spacious but I'm blown away by having 3 buggies in there :) I don't suppose you have a photo to show me how to upgrade my baby Tetris skills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

If I were you I’d be looking at the skoda enyaq first. Skoda are always generous with their boots.

and congrats on the twins. Mine are 6 now and going around in an ID.3. EVs are great.

It's not that hard, obviously we don't have the parcel shelf in. I suppose the other helpful fact is that we took the false floor out. (Given all the car stuff is in the frunk).

They 3 buggies are literally just tossed in, most recently used one on top. The only constraint is the double needs to go in with its lumpy front wheel facing the sky.

Don't have pic, and wife has car today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What about an ID Buzz? I don't think you'll get more space in any other EV and should be under budget?

I've an Ioniq 5 and it's perfect for our needs. Plenty of space in the back and boot but seems current orders have been delayed again so you could be in for a long wait.

I read the OP as more about the boot space due to buggiest etc.

2023 Polestar 3 is bigger than the Model Y (193in vs 187in long, 83.5in vs 75.6in wide, 64in vs 63.9 in tall)

The model Y quoted boot space is without a parcel shelf and loaded to the roof, so not really a fair comparison imo.

In any case, it has 383L rear and 32K frunk.

Do you have reports of poor build quality on the Polestar?

If you are not aware of Tesla build quality issues with new vehicles (when they finally arrive) I'd suggest some googling and you-tubing.

• Advertisement

Sure your post said Tesla quality build issues, not mine, up to you to support your own post.

It's well accepted now that MIC build quality is excellent so if you have data to refute please share so we can all see how wrong we've been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭staples7

If its bigger than the Y but with half the storage space that's some pretty poor design. Also very lazy argument regards build quality when quiet the opposite is now true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

It doesn’t have half the storage space. Tesla define their storage space all the way to the roof of the car unlike everyone else who measure to the parcel shelf, which means the numbers aren’t comparing like for like.

As I said

"The model Y quoted boot space is without a parcel shelf and loaded to the roof, so not really a fair comparison imo."

Only vary occasionally would I be comfortable with all my goods on display in the back, and thats when I'm actively driving.

Its also a bit of an issue if you want to see out the back :)

Consumer Reports 2022 reliability survey has then 19th out of 24, which I wouldn't consider "excellent", would you?

If you want this to be a Tesla fanboi party then fire ahead chief.

This thread is clearly referencing the model Y that will be available in Ireland as appose to all teslas, that model being produced in china. By all accounts it’s one best built cars around. One of many reports:

Did you actually read the report? Gives Tesla a good write up 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

On the whole Tesla build quality, over the last couple of years there's been lots of people getting them as company cars because of tax reasons and so on and as a result you tend to know many with them.

Out of those I know none are particularly happy with them. A colleague ended up giving his back he was so fed up, build quality his main complaint. A couple of others are seeing out the end of their finance terms and moving away.

Nothing to do with EVs not suitable for them or reliabilty, just at the moment it's generally a feeling of poor quality in comparison to what they came from.

I have the opposite experience, 4 in my work with them and all either buying another one or buying their existing one out of their companies. Also the Owners Facebook group is full of happy owners without all the issues plaguing other makes on the IEVOA page like daily 12V issues in all Kia and Hyundai, terrible software on VAG, faulty heaters on Taycans etc ..Leaf seems to have less issues than most.

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't tie in with actual real world data from the UK or the US. As you can see below a world of difference in build quality between older Model S and new Y and 3.

• Advertisement

It's from conversations with people who own and drive them daily, not pub talk, who have no vested interested in complaining about the cars they own.

And like I said, they're not talking about the reliability relative to other EVs, they're talking about the build quality and general feel of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

My brother bought a Rover as his first car back in the day. Had that terrible fake wood across the dash. Tesla has it today more than 20 years later. They just don't feel or look like €50k cars when you are sitting in them (Performance and software is a different conversation, ok fanbois)

I can easily compare them with the MachE which definitely does feel like you are sitting in a €50k car. Though the MachE would be no use to OP

It's real wood veneer on Tesla. It's a personal choice but I can't see why would some more plastic covers or other fake material would make the interior feel better. That being said, I don't think Model 3 has a particularly high quality interior anyway. It's functional and has clean lines, but seat material, seat backs, carpet all seem cost optimised as opposed to high quality. To put it in context we currently have a 2016 leaf as a second car and I think the (real) leather in it feels much better quality. The front seats are more comfortable too, but the dash and door card material and bodywork quality including paint are worse in the Nissan than in the Model 3.

So the apparent quality of the Model 3 is ok, and it's well put together, but not luxury by any means and doesn't feel particularly expensive. However, the drivetrain, performance, handling, software, charging network and reliability in our '21 are all its strong points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I will preface this with the fact that I do not own a Tesla nor am I some kind of fanboy (although my Honda e does have a fake wooden dash).

A lot of people do not seem to have caught up with the price inflation of cars these days. A mid level VW Golf with an auto gearbox is now around 40 grand, a mid-spec Qashqai is well in the 40s.

A Model 3 is 44ish, Model Y 46ish (I think), this is now the price of a bog standard family hatchback. These are not luxury cars.

The Mustang Mach E is pushing 70k in Ireland, not even in the same ball park for comparison purposes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Generally not overly impressed with the interior quality and fit, rattles and squeaks with the trim from new, that type of stuff. One came from a C or E class, can't remember which, so probably had higher expectations, but it was a commonality amongst them.

• Advertisement

If they are talking early Freemont builds I will agree 100%, I had one!!

Not for MIC builds, I had to take off a piece of trim at the weekend to access the OBD port, where i would take that off in seconds on the Model S Freemont build (because just two snap in connectors) it took ages of prying on the MIC build, there was 5 connectors for what's a very small piece of trim. Pub talk like this is folk perpetuating what they have heard and not reflecting today's reality.

Seriously, "pub talk". Apart from one, they still own the cars and you literally said you agree with them.

Doesn't matter the build, they're correct in what they say about their cars and it's evidently enough to not have them rush back and replace like for like.

The postings on this thread relate to the Model Y, all of which come from China, that is the context, US build quality is not relevant

Im not sure there's much point trying to explain that to some here however the point of this thread was reccomending 'The best EV for boot space and comfort'

Whats been suggested here is China model Y surely ticks nearly every box possible. Price,confort,space,tech (as standard),charging, build quality.

Im not including looks as its subjective but I quite like it. Plenty more EV's you could go with but regards bang for your buck there's very little that compares.

See I think you are missing the subjective part here. And it is a common trait among the fanbois

Every person is different, every family is different and every usage is different

So saying that one car is better than another in your opinion is fine. But when OPs metrics/needs may differ to yours why try to blanket fit your opinion

Just understand not everyone likes a Telsa and doesn't think they are good value for money still after price drop. Some don't like the interiors, the seats, the big screen, the looks, the fanbois. So what. Who cares. That's what choice is all about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

There are a lot of people going to jump into the Tesla world as a result of these successive prices drops that are perhaps neither ready for EV ownership or Tesla ownership, and as a result - from both perspectives - may not be happy. Already we can see a big surge of people posting here with "never looked at a Tesla before, but...."

No reflection on EVs or Tesla though.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Admldj

Switched from a Mazda 6 2.2 last summer to my first EV, after test driving the MX30, kona, ioniq 5 and EV6 I finally settled on a 2019 Jag I-pace and have to say I love it! The only tesla that interested me was the model s but having a touch of the ocd when it comes to fit and finish put that out of the running. The quality is exactly what you would expect from a premium brand with everything feeling very solid and high end, I've found the boot size to be great and regularly have 3 burly teenagers in the back with no complaints on space, rare enough beast out there too which is always nice.

The fitted rubber mat is a good idea considering the muck that will be on the wheels of the prams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Mach E is far too expensive and a sales flop so depreciation will be very painful

Then don’t buy it. Your money your choice

Ofc the depreciation on Tesla’s has just become very painful but you forgot to mention that, right

You claimed to be easily able to compare the Tesla with the Mach E , I pointed out the poor sales of the Ford , that’s how the forum works

My comparison is on the interior. I suggest you reread what I wrote before replying again, I said nothing about sales volume. But yes, it does sell less.

Teslas had a big depreciation in last few weeks. Again, I remind you. Because, as you say, that’s how the forum works!

I'm amazed that the quality police i.e. @Hurrache didn't jump in to warn the op off the Jag which is the 2nd least reliable EV on the market

It works better without snide reductive exchanges

• Advertisement
Advertisement