Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Duly noted, no more trips through the Memorial Gardens for the next meet up......we could be really cruel and venture from the Phoeno to Waterstown......Good run for hills 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Jaysus either you were up really late partying 👀 or up very very early🤣

You love your hills...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I had a feeling this would be the response! Don’t think I’d ever been there either before I first ran through 5 or 6 years ago. We used to go on outings to nearly every park in Dublin as kids but never there. I reckon it’s OK as long as the Liffey is the main destination. 😉

Up early for work unfortunately 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

So it'll have to be a 2 week update again and once more I'll leave out the easy/ vanilla days.

20th: 3*3k @ one hour pace. This pace is from a calculator and not one that I actually believe I could race for an hour at the moment. 🤣 It's 6:46 and the reps were 46/46/45. Tough in places but glad to get it done.

22nd: 55 mins easy/moderate. I'm doing these by HR and the intention is to run in the grey zone between easy which tops out at 130bpm and moderate which begins at 140bpm. This one was towards the higher end at 138bpm and a pace of 7:50. Nice not to be plodding.

25th: 11.2 miles. I went down to see the sons for the present swapping and took the chance to run around the town. Can't remember much about the run after my 2 older sons told me, 20 mins apart, that I will be a grandad for the first and second time next year! The best Christmas present ever. 😍😄

27th: 5*1 mile @10k effort. Paces were pointless on such a windy day but I was happy with the splits. A very brittle Lainey needed some encouragement at times but a good solid workout despite the meteorological and post alcohol conditions.

29th: 60 mins easy/moderate. This time at the easier end of the range. 7:58 average.

31st: 2*8 mins at hour pace, 15@HM. Target was again 6:46 for the hour pace and I have decided on 7 mins as a HM training pace. As with all the calculator training paces I didn't feel the HM was realistic and it will take a while to get used to it but I have no doubt I can carry it off in a race. It was a damp morning but thankfully it was windless for the first time in a long time. Great to have some company as well. Splits were 6:46/46/58.

Thanks for reading and I wish you all a happy and healthy 2023 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Grandad! Congrats in advance.

I also have no doubt you can run a HM at 7 min miles. No doubt at all. But race pace always feels hard in training, or it should anyway!

Happy 2023, looking forward to your triumphs.

I guess now is the time for a review of the year past and a look forward to the year ahead....

2022, a year which began in the depths of zero running and ended with the highest mileage July-December that I have ever done. The yearly total was a semi decent 1749 of which the last 6 months accounted for 1301. It's that base which I hope to build on next year. Best/only racing highlight was Jingle Bells so I'll take that PB as they don't come around too often.

2023, lots to look forward to and lots of care needed. The recent increase in training intensity has led to a slight return of the glute/hamstring niggle. A visit to a physio next Friday should provide a little clarity.

As for targets...it will be 3 races and all for PBs. Any other races will be training races. Target 1 is a half PB in den Haag. There won't be anything overly ambitious about the target, just a PB. Target 2 will be a sub 90 half later in the year. Target 3 will be a 3:10-15 marathon in Amsterdam. A nice clear plan with no other distances of interest to me in terms of targeting them.

A brilliant end to the year and plenty to be positive for in 2023.

Congrats on the big news aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Congrats on the great news S and very much looking forward to seeing how 2023 pans out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats on that news!

You will have a fab year of running too in 2023 after the base you put down this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Aw lovely news S, congrats and I hope all goes well for the 2 expectant Mums & Dads, exciting times!

I'd admire your ability to nail down such specific targets and wish you well with them. NYN!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great to see the progress here, and the regular updates.

Hope all goes well on the way to becoming a granda 😁

Thanks for that. I have my fingers crossed.

As for the targets.... That's actually a simple one. It's like Mayo pretending that winning a league title would be a big thing when all that matters to them is the All Ireland 🤣

I won't try to dress up any other results that come my way as important if the primary targets are a bust. Nor will I lose sleep if things don't go to plan in other races.

Thanks J. Any chance you might join a few of us for a run on Sunday next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Congrats on the news. Great end to the year and best of luck with targets next year !

Monday 2nd: Rest day. This will stay for the entirety of the plan as will an easier week every 4 weeks.

Tuesday: As I mentioned in my last update I have been getting reminders from the injury and have decided to ease back the intensity a little. To that end I did an EIM session of 4*2k rather than the planned session.

Wednesday 4th: Easy hour

Thursday 5th: 65 mins easy/moderate. Continuing with these as part of trying to run at a broad range of paces including those which some may see as grey zones.

Friday 6th: No run. As planned I went to the physio, or should I say a new physio. Generally positive as she was very complimentary about the way I had managed the past 6 months and particularly for backing off this week. She feels the origin of the injury could be neural and I couldn't argue with the painful spot she found at the lower part of my spine. Got a good going over and was ordered not to run after it. Was sent a set of hamstring strengthening exercises and some for the neural aspect.

Saturday 7th: was meant to be an easy hour but after doing EIM for so long I'm finding these very boring. As a result I upped the pace for the second half of it.

Sunday 8th: I joined Lainey for this one in and around the Phoenix Park. 75 easy, 15 HM, 20 easy. The HM still feels too hard but there's 8 weeks to go 🙏

This week coming is a down week so hopefully a return to exercises and the relative rest will do me some good.

On another note... following on from my thread about a run meet up I have set up a WhatsApp group for anyone who might be interested in meeting up for the occasional run. There are 9/10 so far and all are welcome. It's definitely not a clique 🤣👀 Simply PM me your number if you think you might make it to a run some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Can I ask - are you running the HM paced stuff to target pace rather than current effort?

They are one and the same so current. In fairness they have been two windy days and it was tricky to balance the effort into the wind. I slowed but probably not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I love a good slag at my neighbours!

Only catching up on a few logs now again. Congrats on the big news!

Managing the comeback in text book fashion. I'm already looking forward to the 2 den Hague race reports!

Monday 9th: Rest Day

Tuesday 10th: I have really been finding the easy day trundles a bit of a chore so I decided to bring back a few EIM 1k intervals. 3 seemed like a good number to replace a 45 minute easy run. Really enjoyed it.

Wednesday 11th: Today's plan was for 6*half mile @5k pace off 90 secs. I have settled on 6:15 as my 5k pace which is based on converting my 19:10 Jingle Bells time to a 19:30 to allow for the generous nature of that course. Splits were 3:07,3:06,3:06,3:07,3:07 and 3:07 😁 All pretty much bang on the money and effort levels managed pretty well considering the strong wind offering different levels of assistance/hindrance around the 810m loop I used in Poppintree Park. Finished off with 4*161m strides 😉

Thursday 12th: 30 min recovery jog.

Friday 13th: Nothing horrific about this very enjoyable EIM 3*1k

Saturday 14th: Back up to Poppintree Park for this. 20 mins HM,off 5 mins, 15 mins HM. I have really been enjoying using this park. There is a slight incline on one side which is balanced on the other side...logical really considering it is a loop 🤭 Normally it's not an issue but with the strong wind blowing into my face on the uphill and behind me on the downhill it made it difficult to balance effort levels. I failed the challenge and found myself really having to coast along the easier side of the park. Target pace was 7 mins. The 20 minute section came in at 6:53 and the 15 at 6:52

Sunday 15th: Over to the PP for a very enjoyable 11 miles in the company of a few Boardsies. It was great to be able to move around a group and have little chats with everyone. Some chats were very brief as supporters of the best team to ever win one league title have proven themselves to be less than good losers. 🤪 A chilly morning (not as cold as Brighton) and C once again managed to run in a short sleeved shirt. Hard as fookin nails that man! For the record I wore a base layer, a long sleeved top and a rain jacket 🤣🤣🤣 The plan is to organise another group run on February 12th, all going well.

So that's the down week done. All went well even though I am very definitely in a phase of upper hamstring tendinopathy management. That will continue to be the priority and if I feel the need to reduce/amend any of the sessions I have planned for the next few weeks it will be done. Getting to the line in Den Haag is the priority. Any targets will have to wait until then.

Weekly Miles: 42

YTD: 101

• Advertisement

Haha I'm sure ya didn't hold back on the digs to coogy and Laineyfrecks!

On the easy days can you explain the basis of EIM and the paces required for the 1k bits please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Water off a duck's back J, mostly due to my indifference towards football in general these days.....although it was mostly Lainey who took the bait! 😉

The fact I had a short sleeve tshirt on and not a singlet shows how cold it was.....not to worry normal service shall be resumed at training this evening and the singlet will be back.

Hmmm...very difficult. Just as I couldn't explain the basis of Hanson or Daniels in a paragraph I can't really explain the basis of EIM in a post. Paces are to be 92-95% of threshold which for most people falls between full and half marathon pace. Recoveries are a very sedate 800m bookended by 20secs of walking. The average pace and HR of the whole run is normally very close to that of an easy run.

The method has its roots in the teachings of Igloi and Verhuel and is very much of the type that Zatopek used. It is against long periods of running at a single pace and encourages good form and a concept he translates as reactivity...a sort of lightness of foot.

It is a very flexible concept. For example one of the world class marathon runners does up to 20*1k as his long run.

I have changed my current plan purely to get used to a bit of hurt again, running at or slightly beyond threshold. I fully intend to return to an EIM based plan for Amsterdam marathon.

Post edited by skyblue46 on

Ah right thanks for that explanation S, interesting. When you are in such a plan does every easy day incorporate these intervals?

Yes, with the exception of an endurance run which is moderately paced with 30-60 sec surges every 6/7 minutes to reset form. The intervals every other day vary from 200's up to 2k, all slower than you would usually do for those distance intervals and with more generous recovery. It's not that you do them to replace easy days, it's every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Hmm. I've been doing mine at in or around 10 mile pace. I'm sure I saw effort level you can sustain for 40-60 minutes for the 1ks. I've already dropped the walked recoveries after the first session too. I'll have to re-read a little.

Just to echo your mention of easy runs being a chore. Amen. I'm only a couple of weeks in but have ditched the headphones which I used to wear for easy runs as every run is pretty much a session. They've been flying by.

I do them based on HR so I'm not sure about absolute pace. There is a table of paces which give quite a wide band. For a 36 min 10k runner he suggests 3:51-4-06 per km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

There's a wide range there alright. He says 10k up to half marathon pace but that's really only 10k pace if it takes you an hour or more to run 10k.

Looking at the table gave me 3:45-4:00. That's close to 10 mile pace at the fast end. So that's probably what I fixed on. I don't have a half marathon reference. But I've not been too bad. I just wanted to make sure I'm not running them too fast but definitely have room to dial back a wee bit. I'll stick with going by feel and pace for now anyway. Maybe next year I'll get my heart checked 😃

Post edited by Dubh Geannain on

Advertisement