Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacinda Ardern to step down as New Zealand PM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Do you think you know what it is to be characterful?

You really don't see that you're making yourself look bad, by throwing out insults and cursing while decrying people you disagree with?

The reason is because you think other opinions and perspectives are fundamentally illegitimate. So your own bad behaviour goes over your head. Its a form of ideologically-driven solipsism.

But OTHER PEOPLE, including neutrals, can see that you aren't conducting yourself in a graceful, fair manner with moderation.

You're swearing, you're accusing people, you're refusing to consider anything but your own opinion, you're throwing mud on people's reading habits though you don't know what they're reading and haven't asked etc., etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I thought you said you were done discussing this with me but here you are back again, pretending that simple questions are statements. I've never known anyone to get so animated about a question. At least you quoted me this time, so it's clear what you are referring to.

The fact is that you stated that New Zealand has contraception would suggest that she should have used it to avoid pregnancy. Golden girl is correct to make the analogy of the old man have interview panel, if you expressed that opinion on a selection committee today about a female candidate and it ever came to light, she could rightly sue you, it is gender discrimination, given that the issue is female specific and as I stated before , there are reproductive rights.

I asked you if you could provide evidence that her 6 week maternity leave affected her performance in the job but nothing yet.

I am done. I wasn’t replying to you. You’re hysterical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

You miss the point, yet again. Did you edit your post? Replace your text with 'sorry' or 'deleted'? NO.

So, either you enjoy being wrong, or lack the character to admit when you are.

And, take a moment. Did you really believe what you posted, that a Supreme Court Judge in New Zealand would have written what you quoted? I only looked into it, because 2 seconds after reading what you wrote, my first thought was, "This is a very serious charge and I strongly doubt a Judge would've written that into the record, even in New Zealand"

Did such a thought cross your mind? Or are you so drunk on the anti-vaxx kool aid you don't see it

So, which is it? Lacking in character, deluded, both?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not just RTE, The Tonight Show panel over on VM1 were nearly wetting themselves singing her praises last Thursday but thats no big surprise when she was a leftie lib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

? Not sure what you mean above tbh , but yes, internet and lack of control over hate speech and trolling is a major factor . There are people as one can see here every day who swallow any old sxxxe that others post without reading examining it or having the basic faculty of discrimination, and it is regurged on every forum without another thought for what damage it may do to anybody or anything else.

Just because you say you take no notice of this does not mean it is not happening , everywhere.

Even go look at reports in the main news re an Irish Senator this week, and a host of others vilified on social media , attacks on their homes and families.

Jacinta Ardern was one who was trolled and vilified unmercifully, no matter what she did . Nobody deserves that sort of misery.

Now I agree with honest regulated debate where everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and I have crossed swords with other posters who disagree with me here everyday , but amicably mostly .

And I agree that politicians and public figures deserve to be called out for wrong same as everyone else.

But the main phrase here , is " honest , regulated debate " . Not throwing out any old sxxxe just because that is one's opinion and one feels one can say whatever one likes on an anonymous forum .

Yes, in my opinion

Calahonda: Says no one cares about my opinion then asks my opinion.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

If you cannot be civil do not post

This is not a Coronavirus thread - we have a whole forum for that sort of stuff

Threadbans for anyone failing to follow these two directions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

? Not sure what you mean above tbh , but yes, internet and lack of control over hate speech and trolling is a major factor . There are people as one can see here every day who swallow any old sxxxe that others post without reading examining it or having the basic faculty of discrimination, and it is regurged on every forum without another thought for what damage it may do to anybody or anything else.

What I mean is social media allows everyone on the planet to make a remark to you. This is the equivalent to pre-internet days adverting your mobile phone number publicly thus allowing anyone to send you a text message.

Celebrities and politicians use Twitter to promote themselves, allowing anyone to contact them, which isn't in my view a great idea. One can't be surprised of all the messages you receive a percentage of them will be threatening.

I don't think there is any way to police that. You can't just leave your front door wide open and expect anyone who enters uninvited is going to be a good person.

So I don't think it's possible to control the hate speech, trolling, whatever, when you have left your front door open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Late to this discussion and haven't read the previous pages.

My 2c is that her tenure was only average. Her legacy will be that she was a young, female head of state and that broke some long established glass ceilings. But what she actually did in office wasn't all that spectacular.

I'd compare it to Obama's time in the WhiteHouse. It was a monumental shift to have a black man as president of the USA and he was brilliant to achieve that. But his presidency was nothing spectacular.

That said, Arden (and Obama), will be remembered favourably in the history books for plotting the course for others to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Unfortunately that is right.. but hate speech and deliberate trolling should be banned and removed from the social media forum it is posted in.. That is the responsibility of those controlling the forum. Otherwise its just a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Chris "spread your legs" Hipkins will replace her.

I've got a mug in work with that quote printed on it in our covid warning scheme 😅

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/23/spread-your-legs-new-zealand-makes-hay-with-covid-ministers-gaffe

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

absolute mental behaviour here @Igotadose

I never mentioned a court case - I mentioned her tv interview where she smiled like a maniac with delight at a 2 tier society. I quoted a post to agree with their description of her ,

If anything I think too much so your argument is lame as f .

try harder.

No, you like the spreader of the original lie, just sleepily chimed in.

Do you agree the original statement was a lie and you were wrong to call it brilliant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

What lie people's freedoms were curtailed. That's akin to arguing the Japanese locked up in the USA was ok.

That the NZ Supreme Courts ruled it a crime against humanity. They did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What glass ceilings did she break?

NZ already had Helen Clark and Jenny Shippley as prime ministers.

Jenny Shipley broke the glass ceiling not the beloved Jacinda of the Western chattering media classes.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I think she did an ok job. I wonder would she get as much of a grilling were she male? Fair play to her, she’s done her duty and her best and had decided enough is enough. That’s admirable as we have seen in numerous cases politicians who cling on, even though they have nothing to offer and become the leader by default. She has more sense. I Wish her luck, I’m sure it’s not the end of her career, just maybe a new direction.

The next time Your freedom is taken away I'm sure you will feel the same. There was extensive Government oversight in these areas. Do we honestly believe these laws will not be used again. It's just small curtailing of your rights until the next excuse and something down the track. It's not paranoia look a the USA terror laws.

• Advertisement

My feelings don't enter into it. You agree, then, that the NZ government never said what was posted here? I mean, feel free to believe whatever lies you like, but you can get called out on it and I suggest it'd be characterful to admit you were lied to.

NB: I don't recall you chiming in on that arc of the thread, so I'm not claiming you did or that you cheered on the lie, unlike others like @foxsake.

I was not lied to people had freedoms taken away. I never suggested the NZ took everyone's. I don't get the mindset of people just giving up stuff that was literally fought for. I am in no way suggesting it's a left or right issue. It depends on who is in charge and looking at what laws they have at hand. Governments never give back these powers. It's a slow erosion of you and your powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

his description of your hero Adhern was and still is brilliant as I said at the time

my summation of her tenure is the 2nd post on this thread. it makes my thoughts clear and beyond any doubt.

Fine. Lies are good with you. Good to know.

And, as this might be a bit of a challenge for you, but I've not mentioned the PM of New Zealand in this thread at all. Not once. I've only chimed in about the outright lie you seem thrilled about. Shame so many propagandists like yourself have to resort to lies to attempt to make points.

Did New Zealand authorities really take a child from parents because they wanted unvaccinated blood? I find that conspiracy level crazy but there seems to be some truth in it.

Its hard to get the full facts because it’s not well reported which adds to my suspicions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The child required blood, but the parents request of guaranteed unvaccinated donor blood could not be done as the transfusion service wouldn't do such screening. Court decided hospital was right to go ahead with transfusion needed.

Great to see Sepuloni as Deputy PM.

The ceiling broken was an age one . Those two former PMs were well into their 40's (45 & 49).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

In the old days glass ceiling was about women achieving positions of power, it didn't apply to age.

Using your definition could we not also state Biden broken a glass ceiling.

I am not allowed discuss …

Glass ceiling was originally coined for use specifically by women but, as you state, that was the old days.

It's meaning has evolved and it is now used to refer to other groups who were discriminated against in their workplaces. There are many ways that an individual can be discriminated against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Being a woman of child-bearing age is significant, as some vile comments on this thread testify.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement