Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread banned in CA forum.

Options
  • 20-01-2023 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hello,

I received a thread ban from the "Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?" thread.

The ban was issued by the mod @Ten of Swords. I received a pm informing me of the ban, but no explanation was given. I have tried to correspond with the mod in question, but have received no reply. I have encountered the same issue with this particular mod previously, where they don't seem to reply to pm's. I don't know if there is some sort of issue with them not receiving the pm's or something?

Anyway, just hoping someone could assist me with this issue. Thanks.

Regards,

RFN

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For posting this:

"We're Brussels favourite little prostitute!

We've very little respect for ourselves as a nation, and so we seek to ingratiate our masters in the EU.

They pat us on head, and throw out a few hollow platitudes for the slobbering sycophants... the "everyone loves the Irish" contingent.

I'd much rather be respected than loved by these people. But that requires having a backbone and standing up for yourself... something the doormats we have up in Leinster house are unlikely to ever grasp."

If you are going to go off topic and troll you suffer the consequences. In this case it was only a threadban. If it had been me I would have awarded a warning point as well

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Can you please clarify which parts you deem to be "off topic" and "trolling", and the rationale for this conclusion please?

Also, would it be possible for yourself or another mod/admin to contact @Ten of Swords directly as they appear to be non contactable through both pm and here on the help desk. Thanks.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

All of it is off topic. That sort of self-deprecating diatribe serves only to get a reaction, it's trolling.

The thread ban in this instance was more than earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I disagree.

The issues we're experiencing with immigration are intrinsically linked to the the EU and their policies. And we are very much lapdogs to our masters in Brussels, a fact many people have highlighted over the last number of years. None of my post was off-topic or trolling.

I think it was a disgraceful thread ban tbh. Completely unwarranted.

@TomTomTim, @bertieinexile, @thinkabouit, @Nuts102, @JustTakeTheTrade, @tastyt, @MrMusician18, @SafeSurfer, @road_high, @Phat Cat, @Atlantic Dawn, @thomas 123, @keynes, @Bobblehats, @Hungry Burger, @creeper1, @Quantum Erasure, @Kyokushin Grappler, @Galwayguy35, @Spanish Eyes, @SEPT 23 1989, @cal naughton, @Miadhc, @Gen.Zhukov, @JP Liz V1, @hotmail.com, @Photobox, @Cessna_Pilot, @pauly58

I would be very interested to hear the views of other users who were involved on that thread. You guys are welcome to jump in here and give your 2 cents worth if you wish... do you guys think this was a fair reason to thread ban me, or was this action over the top from the moderators?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

100% - my posts continually get deleted etc as they don’t “fit” with the views of the moderator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Censorship alive & well in Ireland.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This thread is not a place for you to soapbox, and nor are we going to go 10 pages here discussing whether or not you feeling like a lapdog is on-topic in a thread about refugees.

"Brussels little prostitute", "lapdogs", "slobbering sychophants", "doormats". Clear trolling and an easy decision for the moderator.

I would suggest you improve the standard of your posts going forward to avoid losing access to other threads.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Can I suggest that anyone who is having issues with threadbans and warnings being put in place by moderators follow the proper protocols. Contact the moderator who issued the ban. If no agreement can be made here then appeal it with an Adminstrator or myself @Boards.ie: Mike

There is no need to set up another thread to continue a grievance or dispute and allow yet another roundabout conversation with multiple users getting involved unnecessarily.

A lot of these issues arise with when the standard of posting descends to excessively negative commentary, directly confrontational language and direct mod instructions being ignored. I feel like I'm repeating myself but I would remind posters to think about the Terms of Use before a post is made. It will make for a more positive experience overall and it will also allow healthy debate and conversation.

If it continues here I will close the thread and take any further action that is necessary on a case by case basis as fairly as possible.

-Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

Nothing you said was out of line. Our Government are ONLY seeking the approval of EU officials. To hell with the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ElitesTeam

How is that ban worthy but again not surprising with the "overlords"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Editorialising goes on in CA and that’s my honest opinion. It’s easy to hide behind protocol and say “you didn’t follow the grievance process” or “your posts are x, y and z so justified ban” just because something you said is a little close to the bone or a hard truth that a moderator doesn’t like. You’ll be hounded with “0 points” warnings until they can ban you for good and turn around and say you have a history of trolling when you have nothing of the sort, you are just emotive and passionate about a particular issue (in this case immigration) whereas those on the other side get away with being the most uncivil, snarky gits on the whole site Scott free.

I got threadbanned from that thread (for saying if you invite the third world in you get third world behaviour, apparently this is racist trolling) even though I quite enjoyed posting in it, I didn’t even bother contacting the mod in question because all you get in response is snarky comments and are expected to grovel to them to lift the ban.

I hope now that in sharing my opinion I won’t be slowly targeted and banned from the other similar thread in CA but I won’t hold my breath on the matter…

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The threadban has been dealt with, with an Admin deciding it is warranted

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement