Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Halfway point , 29 points. A repeat gives us 58 point total. 🤯

Arsenal 11 points of 58 points already.. with only 18 games played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mind numbing to play it short then end up lumping it into the box anyway but from a fat worse angle.

Fair result, can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Decent performance in spells, but overall a bad game from two out of form with little to recommend from it.

Bajcetic the highlight. Got a proper player on our hands with that lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,740 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Poor game, poor performance (bar the restart), poor prospects going forward for the remainder........not a great start for the weekend.

Hopefully West Ham can cheer me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Nope,did u not see the first 10 minutes,a nothing player Bill

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Clean sheet is nice. Poor overall.

I look forward to Gakpo on the left and Nunez up top for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

It was ok in parts. There is rarely anything between the 2 teams in recent years. Take the clean sheet and move on. Hopefully we build on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That was torture to watch. Nunez the only forward that brought anything. Salah forgotten to play football and I'm not seen anything from gakpo yet (early days though)

Though I have to say we were a Var decision, great Allison save, great Robo block and a Chelsea slip from conceding.

Very difficult to say we were defensively solid imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Anyone with any idea of what has happened to him? I've seen some mention that he's carrying an injury but he's been like this all season, and has had plenty of time to recover during world cup break if that was the issue. Utterly baffling how much he has regressed between this season and last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Maybe COVID might have set him back in a big way (??)

Cannot recall a players form falling off a cliff like that before tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bajcetic done himself no harm with keeping his place with that performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭hynesie08

First half deserved to lose, second half probably deserved the draw. If we brought Nunez on at the half I think we'd have overran them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

His newborn is a few weeks old, his woeful form is months old

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Salah’s new positioning is just completely taking him out of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭jones

The tactics are baffling by klopp. Can safely say top 4 is gone at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

His stats proved otherwise according to you earlier this week....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

That was torture to watch.

Completely average starting line up, was never going to be good.

Jut totally devoid of any quality, Gakpo looks pretty bad albeit early days. He's had a few games and shown nothing of note, not quick or skillful or any really standout attributes. That Ukranian lad that came on for Chelsea showed straight away that he has something about him, I was hoping for some sort of X Factor with Gakpo but nothing thus far.

• Advertisement

When is PL getting 5 CL spots, can't come soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gakpo needs to be a false 9. He's pointless in this formation on the wing without pace.

Nunez is our biggest threat.

Keita should not have come off before Elliott.

Nothing particularly new. Just waiting for the CL to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Salah 7 goals in 19 PL games...... The contract negotiations perhaps seem to have left some scar tissue some might say but why alter his position 😕🤔

Henderson, Fabinho, Salah, VVD are all shadows of themselves. New signings are landing into a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Salah can't play this wide, we have to stop this nonsense and get him within the width of the 18 yard box.

It may have worked in the past, when Firmino left space in the middle to run into, and when Mane could do the same on the left so defenders couldn't double up anywhere, but with the players we have right now it doesn't work. The only way we can do it right now is if Firmino/Jota is in the middle and Diaz or *maybe* Nunez is on the left.

Salah's always been more of an "inside forward," this season we need him to be a striker and he's more winger than ever.

On Salah, he's been ruined by a malfunctioning midfield. Or at least a midfield that is different to the ones he's thrived with.

We're not pressing cohesively, meaning we're not maintaining a position high up the pitch, meaning our full backs aren't higher, meaning he can't get inside as he has to cover out wide.

It's fairly simple. We've neutered him completely.

Gakpo's relative lack of speed doesn't concern me too much, Jota's not the quickest either but he's clever enough to offset that, hopefully the same from Gakpo. We saw one very brief glimpse of it with his spin and shot in the box today but it's been slim for him so far. His numbers with PSV speak for themself though so I trust he can adjust himself to the league.

It almost feels like we're making excuses for him, granted he has had some real misfires this season....but yeah, Klopp has just got him in this position that benefits nobody, it's as frustrating as it is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

You have to go back to Hodgson or Houlliers last season to see as abject a performance such as that, against similar mid-table dross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah, that Ukrainian lad was decent cos he was going up against a tired Milner, he did **** all after trent came on.

Also, Joe Gomez has had a few good periods for us, but him passing back to Allison across the goal earlier almost caused me to fling my phone out the window. Utterly brain dead.

I don't know what the **** is going in behind the scenes there but Kloppo needs to sort this **** out. At least today's starting line up showed a willingness to start doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I wouldn't worry about Gakpo at all. He's come into a completely dysfunctional team. He'll be fine.

Why that new lad tried to control that ball behind instead of hitting it first time is mind-boggling.

Champions League can't come soon enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I wouldn't be writing his off or anything, but he's shown nothing, zero potential so far. Granted, he's in a poorly performing side at the moment, but he's looked ponderous, anxious and passive. For all Nunez faults, he's all action and trying to make things happen, I haven't seen the same from Cody. Early doors obviously, but he has a lot to prove, and I'm not buying his Dutch League stats, it's a huge step up to where we should be.

Not our level, but always good to remember we're not getting relegated #Everton.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I came on the thread to see how we played. It seems shockingly from the posts above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Poor enough alright... not as bad as some previous ones though. Definitely better than the Brighton game. All just a bit disjointed and disconnected going forward, which makes a certain amount of sense with Mo playing so wide, and a new lad thrown in, along with a million injuries. The Gomez Konate partnership looked a bit unsteady too... though would expect Matip back in for Gomez for the next game. Bajcetic was a clear upgrade on Fab at least though.

Really, it was two teams with a rake of missing players fielding fairly cobbled together 11's, and that's what it looked like.

Uplift last two league games with more players absent.

Newcastle drawing lets me believe for another week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I understand people cutting Gakpo some slack because the whole team is poor right now, but honestly it’s quite difficult to identify what his strengths as a footballer are. He’s not particularly quick, not an overly creative passer, his first touch is bang average and from the evidence we’ve seen so far of him in a Liverpool shirt, he’s a poor striker of the ball with very little composure.

I’m fully behind him like any other Liverpool player and I’d be as happy as anyone to see him become a big player for us. I just haven’t seen a thing so far to suggest that it’s possible, and that’s not so much to do with the team around him not functioning.

In his defence, I was impressed by him when PSV played Arsenal earlier in the season, but he was on the left wing in that match so if he’s being played out of position by Klopp, that’s not going to make him look like a world beater.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Mudryk showed more of what he's capable of in 20mins than Gakpo did all game. With Mudryk you can tell he has pace and quick feet. He'll be alright. Gakpo on the other hand was slow, ponderous, didn't press and didn't make runs off the ball. I can't get my head around it as he appears to be the total antithesis of a Klopp player. Right now I'm genuinely worried this lad will be a worse fit than Lazar Markovic was. And he was absolute pony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I used his decent stats to show stays mean **** all if u read it

He's so so slow lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Like who scouted gapko and rushed in to buy him, the guy is slow, lazy and ponderous, another waste of money that could have been spent on a midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's his off the ball inaction that worries me as much as anything. Poor movement from what I've seen on TV, very passive both in and out of possession.

• Advertisement

I saw nothing from Mudryk, plus I've never heard of him. He played for Donesk, a region Putin now calls Russia, how can you go from that level to PL, He'll be a huge flop imo.

The boy has skillz, he's only after playing few games, needs time, but he has it all.

I think we should forget midfield, its becoming a narrative. Man City have players they call midfielders, as they can't call them forwards,

Grealish, Debruyne, Foden, Mahrez, Silva, Gundongan, they've all literally played in front 3 or as a no9 . They've all got a goal in them, they're all attack minded, they're all great on the ball. City play with Rodri in midfield full stop, that's it, and surround him with the mentioned, it's why they retain so much possession, all masters at keeping it.

We on the other hand start matches with Milner, Henderson, and Fabhio in midfield, all declining, all defensive, all haven't a goal between them.

If Pep had our squad he'd play this, and win the league with 100 plus goals

________Alisson__________

Trent_Konate_VVD_Robertson

____Fabhino____Firmino___

Salah_____Jota_______Diaz__

________Nunez________

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭facehugger99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Lijnders morphing in to the new Brendan Rodgers? A coach that wants input in to more than just coaching? A book? An ego? It has certainly been one of the theories put forward as to why key personnel are leaving the scouting and recruitment team. Klopp seemed very happy working with the recruitment and scouting teams before and letting them do their thing, it looks to have changed and it could only have changed if he has started listening to and trusting someone else. Massive question marks over recent big money signings, the Gapko one especially leaving most fans puzzled as to why we bought him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

#bringbackbuvac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I wonder if Gakpo was brought in to make Darwin feel less self-conscious 😉

From what I've seen of him so far he reminds me of Crouch when he first joined...seems totally overwhelmed and overawed to be playing for Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Which is the complete opposite to how I feel watching him. Underwhelmed and underawed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement