Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

How do you secure the frame while pulling on the Stilson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've always laid them flat on the deck as it creates a bit of space between the seat post and the ground. Then have some one hold it down, it may be similar forces exerted on the frame but in my eyes I don't think they are.

They key is twisting as opposed to pulling. I've yet to be stumped by one but I'm sure it'll happen at some point and hopefully we'll find out the coke is miraculous after all 😂

I think if you use the 4x2 like I suggest earlier, it results in rotational force too. I've had it work on a seat post that hadn't been moved in about 35 years 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yep I missed that, I generally use a length of unistrut as it's naturally heavy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That's it, Dad was a pretty handy mechanic so had the tools to do everything. I just didn't know the name.

• Advertisement

Swapped out stems, replacing the 110mm with a 100mm (which is what was spec'ed for the bike, but I'm assuming with supply lines etc, they used what they had)

Had to take a second look, as the torque spec for the pinch bolts on the steerer end initially looked like 55nm. Closer inspection revealed a decimal point 😀

I've had what I think is a chest infection for almost two weeks now, so in lieu of getting out on the bike, I thought I'd do some shed therapy.

One of the (many) unfinished projects I have lying around on the work bench is a bearing press I started making a couple of months ago. Figured I should get on and get it done. While it's not quite there yet, it is starting to look like what it's supposed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Today I spent the afternoon building up my new bike. What was nice was that I was originally just collecting it (rolling frame) from the frame builder, but he says sure let's build it up now.

His workshop is part of a "hub" with 2 other frame builders, a wheelsmith and a fully decked out 3 bay assembly stations.

Electrically moving Park tool clamps, full tool sets, the works.

We (the wheelsmith even got a bit of play in the rear wheel sorted by rebuilding the hub.

Needless to say that future work won't be as easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Yes. I was sent some of the building (September) and the assembly that I took today.

I'll find a suitable thread to post in at some point soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

As mentioned in the stupid questions thread I spent today fitting some carbon aero handlebars. I'm not sure why I chose today as the bike will sit on the trainer for another couple of months anyway. I never really believed how much of a faff people said internal cable routing was; but now I do. And I only had to get the cables through the handlebar. Also had to drop the bike to the LBS to fit new nipples and olives to the brake lines. But she is all back together now. Old handlebar had a 20mm raise built in which was one of the reasons I wanted to swap out.

Also controversial call with the white bar tape but we shall see how it holds up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Also controversial call with the white bar tape

no; absolutely in keeping with the implied colour scheme based on the name of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I put a new saddle on the turbo bike today which was long, long overdue. The Fizik Arione that was on it seems to have been designed by the devil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Put a power meter on the bike so replaced the left crank

Easier than I thought it would be. Just have to get some grease and go back and apply that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Make sure you torque that correctly (which is quite high if I remember correctly). I've learned that the hard way...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

White bar tape looks good, now of course you'll have to make use of the flat section on the new bars to ride everywhere in the puppy paw position to keep them clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

And torque it carefully if Shimano as they seem to make the crank pinch bolts from leftover mozzarella

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

Changed my wheels to Hunt 50's at the weekend, 32mm GP 5000's (with tubes) on them, found getting the tyres onto the rims near impossible so I am hoping they stretch with use.

• Advertisement

Have my new bike about 7 months now. I've never cleaned it. The last 3 months particularly it's gotten covered in a load of road shite, so this afternoon I decided to get out a bucket and sponge.

I started cleaning before I took this photo, but the rear wheel should give some indication as to how bad it was.

Not quite a full strip of the frame.

Last photo is in the dark, but you can get the general idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Fair play, Ive frequently left my road bike a few months 😕

Yesterday I think I managed to stop the leak in my tubeless front tyre, by tightening the valve a bit more. I suspect the rim tape around the valve will need to be revisited in the future though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Ive heard you need to be careful clamping a carbon frame on the workstand, as the bike usually moves a fair bit and as it's only clamped in the middle of the crossbar that becomes a pressure point. Since I heard this I tend to clean bikes without the stand. Curious to hear if thus is still the case ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, usual advice is to clamp the seatpost as that's sturdier than the top tube.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Unless you clamp it with huge pressure, I don't see it. I've seen riders sitting on the cross bar barrelling down from the gap at 60+kmph. If the pressure from washing is higher than the that of a 100kg vibrating their private parts against it, then you have done something wrong.

I'd be with Cram on this. You'd have to be really torquing on the frame to cause damage, I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Cranks and all off? That’s dedication, at best mine gets the hose and a bucket + brush

You didn't see the filth😂.

In fairness, they're easy cranks to take off, 8mm Allan key

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I was taking the young-lad to football on Saturday and on the way back my rear derailleur started giving gyp, not shifting down. Closer inspection found this horrorshow:

Since I've been a lazy so and so and not bothered changing cable housing when replacing the cable, and given this is the wet weather bike, I'm guessing water made its way in from the cable stop and rusted the housing on the inside. I'm puzzled as to why it failed suddenly rather than degrading over the past few months. Anyway, I'll hang my head in shame at any rate and am now convinced of the benefits of changing the housing.

So as it happens the Croix de Fer was due a big service anyway and I've been assembling bits over the past few months, so this made me pull the finger out and Sunday was spent giving it some TLC which involved replacement of gear cables and housing (ahem), taking off the TRP Hy/Rd brake calipers and bleeding them (I think in future I can probably get away with leaving the calipers on and laying the bike flat on a bench), new set of Jagwire brake cables for the Hy/Rds, and a new easier cassette (up from 32 to 36 small sprocket). The latter is pushing it a bit as the derailleur is rated for a 34, but I'm banking on Shimano's reputation for being conservative. As it happens I ran into trouble with sizing the chain as I did that last when I was tired and hurrying too much, but I'll take that over to the maintenance thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I changed bottom bracket bearings, swapped wheels , and new brake pads.

hope it hangs together tommorrow

Post edited by ednwireland on

Advertisement