Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's a White Paper (drawn up by various departments and an Oireachtas Joint Committee) aimed at asylum seekers who are already resident in Ireland, hence the various languages. It says nothing about immigration, border control or making it easier for people to enter the country.

There seems to be a lot of good stuff in it too, including rapidly speeding up the asylum process so that people can have their application accepted or rejected within six months.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Actually, government inaction on housing and shutting down nearly 9000 beds in hospitals is what is putting the strain on both services right now.

Dont fall into the trap of thinking everything is the immigrants’ fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I said on this site several years ago that this would become a major issue yet and here we are.

Massive pressure on services, housing and infrastructure causing serious damage to the social contract and indeed social cohesion as the virtue signalling but ultimately unaffected types scream racist and far right (which is laughable in a country like Ireland - we don't even have a "right" anymore, just various degrees of left!) at those who actually think about the consequences of these decisions, or are already living with them.

We have a group of politicians right now who spend their time chasing trends and tweeting to the same delusional types about how good it is for Ireland, how it's our responsibility, how we need to help the poor people. The damage being done by the likes of O'Gorman, McEntee, Coveney and chief tweeter Leo to the future of our society and country is massive and possibly already irreversible.

But it won't be any of them who will be left to deal with it, make no mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Murphy the little commie thinks the state should take vacant properties off the owners if they don't use them after a certain period of time has passed.

He doesn't seem to mind that the people he needs to vote for him so he still has a job after the next election hate him now.

It won't be the economic migrants putting an x beside his name on the ballot paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

The Irish Times suggesting that the old Jury's Hotel in Ballsbridge would be ideal to host asylum seekers and put this as their tagline:

"Less privileged communities are bearing the brunt of the refugee burden, leaving them vulnerable to exploitation by far-right agitators".

I can't see the ultra wealthy residence kicking to much fuss about this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/01/20/the-old-jurys-hotel-in-ballsbridge-would-make-an-ideal-reception-centre-instead-it-stands-idle/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

In what way? 

Similar to that above, word will get back to those countries, may take some time, but...

Heres a thread in English where he sets out his plan, from day one

https://mobile.twitter.com/rodericogorman/status/1365226300932304896

But all of this seems a good idea. These plans have been drawn up, not by the current government, but by an Oireachtas Joint Committee, a cross party committee comprising members from the Dáil and Seanad. Everyone is agreed that the Direct Provision system is a shambles and that the asylum process moves way too slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Direct Provision, shambles as it was, wasn't the problem, it was the speed of processing applications. If every case was dealt with in 6 months there'd be very few complaining about direct provision.

You'd be very naive not to see the above as an open invitation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I never said everything is immigrants fault.

I said immigration is the biggest strain on both.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking we can keep inviting unlimited numbers into the country when we have nowhere to house them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LaoisWeather

The problem is all the "professions" coupled with a bloated NGO sector that see the current issues as an income stream for themselves. They care not one jot about migrants/refugees/asylum seekers - only the income generated from "dealing" with them. Hence the "system" which they heavily advocated for grinds as slowly as possible so as much moola as possible is ground out of it. It's that simple.

Have no doubts about it, most of those with "Refugees Welcome" signs etc... are heavily, heavily invested in that system. You're either making money from it, or you're paying for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Obviously tens of thousands of immigrants coming in a short space of time is going to make matters worse in terms of housing and health provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Incorrect.

Refugees are not getting housing.

Former refugees who have residency status and the right to live and work here are being accommodated in the exact same was as "Irish born"

Similarly Irish people who look for social housing in other countries such as the UK, are treated the same way as "locals"

I know a former refugee who came here from Nigeria about 20 years ago. She currently employs 8 people in a management consultancy company.

You'd think by the reaction of the protesters in the working class areas who are a minority of those living in those areas, that all refugees want is free housing and non stop social welfare which is what they have been on for years

You'll find that the unemployment level of former refugees who now have citizen status is extremely low and they are huge contributors to society - unlike the vast majority of the protesters.

I would agree that the process needs to be rapidly speeded up but the White Paper appears to address this. If the entire asylum process can be quickened up considerably, then the issue of refugees even needing to be temporarily housed in random places like East Wall, Ballymun and Drimnagh becomes much less of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

This is the kind of success that matters to me and that I've been waiting for.

TDs continuing to pay lip service is your idea of success? I figured it would be more along the lines of what protesters are actually protesting about, which they have yet to achieve, but fair enough, can’t argue with that.

Who’s this “we” business? You and anyone else has no say whatsoever in where refugees are being accommodated (sure isn’t that your whole problem?), so the idea of you having any say where refugees are accommodated just doesn’t seem like something anyone should be concerned about. As for where they are actually being accommodated, you have no idea where anyone else lives or how they feel about anything, let alone the idea they would think like you do regardless of where refugees are accommodated.

There’s no shortage of local residents in any community who are of the opinion that any protests are just embarrassing, and that’s notwithstanding the opinions of protesters from outside these areas, by the people who grew up in these communities -

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/dublin-news/protest-against-asylum-seekers-in-ballymun-embarrassing-says-lord-mayor-42273218.html

Before you say it btw, Caroline Conroy was born, bred and grew up in Ballymun -

https://www.themayor.eu/en/ireland/dublin/mayors/caroline-conroy-479

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

Yes, but that's the whole point. Far too many people with bogus asylum claims exhausted the system of appeals (at great expense to the taxpayer and great benefit to the legal profession) and were given leave to remain. They didn't even have to do that before 2004 and the citizenship referendum. They continue to be given leave to remain (recent amnesty) and even if their claim is refused, they are very rarely deported. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth. If these people wanted to live and work in Ireland legitimately, they were more than welcome to apply for a skilled work visa and go through the legal channels, so why didn't they? Your friend from Nigeria has done well but why did she come here as a refugee 20 years ago? What war was she fleeing in Nigeria exactly? I wish it were true that many of those granted asylum went on to become self-sufficient, but the statistics do not bear that out.

I also see the usual classism and contempt for those who live in poorer areas and who don't like what's being done to their neighbourhoods by those who get to keep their neighbourhoods just the way they like them. If you object to high levels of badly managed immigration, you must be a loser, a sponger etc yourself. I can't believe that so many who hold these people in contempt call themselves lefties, like the godly Fintan in this week's Irish Times pontificating about the mysterious "far right" demon that's possessed the lower orders. If you were an actual leftie, you'd care about the effects of immigration on the lower-waged; the increased competition for publicly funded services, the lowering of wages and inflation of rents. I am educated, on a reasonable income, own my own house, but am still clear-sighted enough to look at the bigger picture and the disastrous effects this is having already. I care about the younger generation whose future is being thrown away yet again by the extremists we have in government. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah so what about the 2500 living here who were let in despite having destroyed their passports, what do you suggest we do with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The bang of patronising contempt of that tagline.

I wish it were true that many of those granted asylum went on to become self-sufficient, but the statistics do not bear that out.

What statistics?

And the contempt you’re seeing btw, which I’m in no doubt you’re fully aware of, is for idiots. It has nothing to do with where anyone lives.

The reason it’s hard for you to understand is pretty simple - people don’t see things the way you do is all.

You make a lot of points here, but doesn't it strike you as 'odd' that the Celtic Tiger and subsequent economic recovery after 2014 coincided with big population increases, including strong immigration?

There seems to be a pattern here. Population growth stagnation or even net migration (depopulation in other words) has traditionally equalled widespread poverty and low living standards in Ireland (i.e. much of the 20th Century). Any time emigration halted, accompanied by population growth and inward migration, the country entered an economic boom period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

It's the other way round. We had pretty much zero immigration until the boom of the late 90s, and immigration slowed right down after the economic crash of 2008. People are drawn to a prosperous country - lots of people doesn't make the country prosperous in itself. Ireland's "Celtic Tiger" came from low corporate tax which attracted FDI, an educated workforce and a some years of ruthless cutting to balance the books after the disastrous 80s. This took many years to achieve.

Ireland should welcome immigration, but the right kind - skilled, educated people who are required to fill a particular skills gap. And if that skills gap persists, we should be looking at our own workforce and why it's not equipped to to fill it. We should be looking to attract EU nationals before non-EU nationals because of our membership of the EU. We can take a limited number of those fleeing war. We do not need people who arrive with no documentation, or people with no skills to offer us who will be a drain on the public purse. We don't need people with criminal convictions. We don't need people from safe countries pretending to seek asylum, or those who use English language schools as a means of permanent immigration. We should put the interests of native Irish people first when considering all this, because we are a nation state with a constitution and the country belongs to us, not just anyone who rocks up here. Irish citizenship should be a great privilege and should only be handed out to those who sit a language and culture test. I haven't much time for the "Irish granny" citizenship; it has no use 100 years after independence.

The views above make me "far-right" to many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

What differentiates any of the parties on health or housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LaoisWeather

You have the cause and effect mixed up there lad.

A booming economy attracts people and thus population growth.

It's not a case that an economic boom happens after an influx of migration or a surge in births over deaths, otherwise most countries outside of "the west" would be economic powerhouses from the population growth in those nations over the last quarter century.

However that is not the case. Most of the nations of the world experiencing rapid population growth are amongst the poorest ones.

Why didn't the huge influx of EU citizens between 2004 and the end of 2008 (a near five year period) damage our economy? The financial crash was caused not by immigration, but by Irish banks and Irish property developers getting up to crazy stuff.

And why didn't we have a big economic boom in the 1950s and 1980s when immigration was at zero? Strange too that the economy has been surging ahead in the last 12-18 months now that net immigration has returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Because banks were actual banks back then not gambling dens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

The economy seems to be doing well now due to high levels of corporate tax. Do you really think that the economic numbers look good because there are loads of migrants staying in hotels, many who are not working and the vast majority that are working are in low skilled jobs and so pay little tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

Nice Deflection, but his narrative would certainly flip if the refugees he's campaigning were to be housed in his Community. And watch the narrative flip if they can ;longer profit off of this human trafficking scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This is 'him', FYI

Where are you even from that you don't recognise Caroline as a female name?

Whose narrative? The only narrative on display here is the one you’re trying to create where anyone who isn’t opposed to accommodating refugees mustn’t have refugees being accommodated in their communities? I’ve demonstrated your narrative is clearly lacking in any form of actual evidence to support it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,306 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The thing that makes me disappointed is that we cant help geniune refugees or people seeking help cause we have so much bogus claims.

Geniune people in need of our help and would only be too delighted to come here and start afresh are the losers here.

I will say it again. The Government, NGOs, Media and anyone stupid enough to welcome everyone are to blame.

Seeing Ukraine girls crying last night on tv was sad. Coming here to this mess.

Advertisement