Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

They are in use now, you can monitor the inside of the car with the App

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

He means Test drive the RWD version as that one has the comfort suspension....if it was a Mod Y Long Range that your drove it may be different if it was RWD then you know how it drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭CBD2

Yes. It was on the RWD white UK reg. one I test drove.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Thanks. I test drove RWD single motor only. UK number in white. As per SA it was a RWD.

I didn't checked the badge on rear to confirm dual motor or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

My wife and I had a test drive on a just-arrived-from-Belfast that morning RWD MY yesterday. She liked the interior - unlike Mrs @unkel - but was a little disappointed with the speed. She drives an i3S which is pretty quick off the line at the traffic lights. The MY felt reassuringly sturdy (and we had almost an hour with it because I missed the exit off the M50 😁) and we both liked it, speed notwithstanding. Seats very comfortable, felt like a bit of lumbar support in the driver's seat. Visibility out the back wondow wasn't great, though. Tesla was jam-packed with cars and given all the talk here about the removal of sensors, interesting that I very nearly pranged the MY when reversing into a spot. The reversing camera was clear enough, but it doesn't really give you a good sense of just how near or far you are from an unfamiliar object, like the wall of Tesla's showroom 😅. The salesperson (who had driven the car down from Belfast that morning) said that the Feb-Mar delivery wouldn't be a problem. I'm dubious, but hope she's right as we've put down a deposit... 😬

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I can see why the missus noticed that.

The i3S would be quicker to 30, then the MY would be quicker.

I had an i3 too. From memory the i3 was bmw quickest accelerating car to 30 it ever produced at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@iniall - goes to show it depends on what you are used to. A facelift Tesla Model S is definitely a luxury car with a luxury high quality interior (although not quite on a par with BMW 7 series or a Mercedes S-class), a Tesla Model Y is several steps below that in terms of luxury / premium 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Haha yeah, don't think she thought it luxurious - just nice. It's actually a bit like a cleaner, more minimalist version of the i3S interior: steering wheel, screen, wood panelling, but the MY has less than a metre of plastic from dash to windscreen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭iknorr

Test drove a Model Y today. before the drive i was told it will be a 2023 RWD. Arrived and it was the 2022 LR AWD.

It had the parcel shelf and wood inserts.

Had 20inch rims.

I didnt like that i could feel every little bump in the road.

Questioned about the suspension. I was told the german cars were build with stiffer suspension but the china cars always had the comfort suspension. And that people are getting all this mixed up online and that theres no change in suspension between the 2022 china and 2023 china cars.

German cars are now shipping with the comfort suspension.

The above conflicts with what i have read online.

Sales rep seems to think the rough ride was due to the tyre size. Recommended the 19s instead.

General thoughts, I test drove the model 3 twice before and the model y when it was first available. I was informed that this test drive would be the new 2023 model but it was not. This model that i drove felt like they had made some basic cabin upgrades. I noticed some fluffy material in the door panels, etc, parcel shelf. Seats are still short and are terrible compared to a Mercedes or Lexus. Its still very very cheap on the inside and does not look/feel like the cabin is a 47K car. ( this was was almost 60k)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

How did you find the model y driving position vs the model 3?

Was one more comfortable over the other?

I realise that the 3 is meant to be the sportier of the two but did you find the Y really that bad comfort wise?

• Advertisement

MY is better than M3. M3 was unbearable. Felt each bump on road. M3 was perhaps worse car ever driven in ride quality. My personal opinion. Not an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks.

Was it a 4 way adjustable lumbar support?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭CBD2

Not exactly sure but it was a circular button. When I sat in it was set uncomfortably far forward and digging into my back so I just adjusted to its minimum rearward setting.

Perhaps we met the same guy/SA. He is super confident that no changes will be made in China model.

However, I was told car is RWD, while it had wooden inserts and was likely to be a DM (insane pickup). Perhaps cant be trusted with 100% certainity. UK car in White.

Maybe you're used to Renaults and Toyotas? 😁

I find the Model 3 great to drive, particularly the Performance (if you minimise the traction of the front wheels). But yeah it has a very sporty setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

My Model 3 RWD is on the firm side, but more comfortable than my ID. Feels as though on rails, the way I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Could I ask if Model Y long range is equipped with parking sensors (sound alert for front and back)?

Not any more unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

None at present apart from cameras and they will only assist in good light, no distance advice and no audio warnings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Cheers Slave1. I went looking at videos that seem to think the decision to remove radar was premature alright, but that an update would like improve the camera sensing product.

All wrong guesses lol - Always @ ford and a family volvo or a bit of Honda civic hatch.

Each one has own definition of comfort plus perhaps wrong tyre pressure led to it. Who knows. I would not say anything about your past drives. 😆 😆 😆 😆 each one has its own.

Life was easier in the past. We didn't have long wait times + such price decreases making it confusing.

Rumours of March for the update that allows for the Tesla vision to take the data from the cameras, do some computer stuff and output that with chimes to mimic USS.

For those waiting on a RWD, the efficiency of the car seems to be off the charts!

274km for 50%.

He’s not flying, but he’s not leaf speeding it either, he mentions keeping to the speed limits

Ok, it’s somewhere that it looks quite warm so someone can do the ratio sums for typical Irish weather.

Would be nice to see it in action before committing.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Yer man Ryan Shaws latest talks about Steam gaming and how when the software update came, none of the cars that were sold with the promise had enough hardware

He specifically calls out the parking sensors and says watch out

In Irish humidity where the cameras are blocked/blinded continuously in Winter when you need park assist the most. Simply won’t work with blocked cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

LOL, Tesla **** the market right up - my Model Y may have to wait:

• Advertisement

Yep. Huge impact not just on second hand Teslas, not even just on other EVs, but on all cars over a certain value. Like I called it when it happened - mayhem. Most people still don't realise it.

It's not so bad though if you were planning to buy a Tesla anyway, the Tesla is now €8k cheaper and your car is worth say €8k less, so the cost to change is the same. Not good for traders / dealers who own multiple stock or for people who are trading in their car for a non-Tesla.

Because the other car makers simply can't drop their prices like Tesla did. If they did, they would lose thousands on each car they sold and they would go bankrupt.

Advertisement