Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

In the context of our current midfield situation the Gakpo signing is a strange one and he hasn't shown much since signing. I think he's a player we could have passed on and used his transfer fee to reinforce the midfield instead. Hopefully he'll work out in the longer term, but, he's looked poor so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mudryk looked electric,

He skipped past 3 Liverpool players in the box but struck wide,

He is going to chase havoc in games , composure is what he looked to be lacking yesterday ,

He looked more of a Mo or Mane than Gakpo does ,

It'll be interesting to see who ends up the better player in the long term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

Out rubbish defence makes Mudryk look really good. Wait until he meets a decent defence before deciding.

As for Gakpo and in some respects Nunez, we are asking players to perform something of a miracle in a dysfunctional team. The midfield is dead, defence looks like it's given up. The whole team is long overdue a complete rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Man City v Spurs

________Rodri__Gundogan No9

Mahrez No9_Alvarez No9_Grealish No10

__________Haaland No9____

All attackers, all played striker, or behind striker, they fill the line up, the midfield space, but don't call them a Milner, or a Henderson, or a Fabinho, or a Thiago, or a Jones.

Liverpool have already the personnel to play this way, but don't, but keep buying players like Gakpo who fit this system.

Klopp is stuck on the wing backs bringing us goals, when City have a solid back 4, and fill the rest of their teams with creators, hard working players though, Pep demands that, that's why it works, they lose it and hustle to get it back, then retain it due to the fact they're all highly skilled attackers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think that since the summer of 2020, the club's player recruitment and management of the composition of the squad can best be described as mistakes were made. The transfer fee for Gakpo isn't the issue, it's the fact that he was another non homegrown player which is our biggest issue. We only have 7 homegrown players which means the registered squad size is limited to 24 players.

In the summer Liverpool were strongly linked with a move for Matheus Nunes, he stalled on signing for Wolves in anticipation of Sporting receiving an improved offer from Liverpool. For whatever reason an increased offer from Liverpool was never made and he signed a 5 year contract with Wolves. A week later Klopp had his "Mea culpa" press conference moment and signing a midfielder became a priority.

Arthur Melo, a player with dodgy ankles and who seemed entirely unsuited to the physicality of Klopp's Liverpool was signed on the transfer deadline - a loan agreement with an option to buy. What irked me most about this move is that on the same day, Juventus signed Leandro Paredes on a season loan from PSG. Paredes is another player that we were strongly linked with in the summer, for whatever reason we did Juventus the huge favour of taking their injury prone Melo for the season instead. After bringing in Melo, the club could only bring in one non homegrown player in the winter transfer window without removing one from the registered squad.

If the media is to be believed, Nunes is now going to be a priority signing in the summer for the bargain fee of £45M. The reported fee seems very unrealistic, Wolves signed him for £42M and he's on a 5 year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The timing of Gakpo's purchase is the biggest thing going against him, we bought him when there's a much greater and obvious need in the squad.

In terms of rebuilding our forward line for the future he's a good get. That's Diaz and Jota at 26 and Nunez and Gakpo at 23 now.

FWIW I think Darwin was an untimely purchase too, we could've spent the money on better areas at least in the short term..but he's a much more unique talent with an extremely high ceiling so it's hard to pass up on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If we didn't buy Nunez or Gakpo we'd have Salah up top on his own now.

True but that's only due to injury, our midfield is barren even when fully fit. As happy as I am to have him I still think the Nunez money could've been better spent in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can't wait too see a front 3 with diaz-nunez-salah

Problem remains though the midfield is too far away from the attack, I'd love too see Eliott in that free roaming role behind that 3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Id rather see Diaz Nunez Jota/Elliot to be totally honest, Salah has been rubbish, the fact he got our POTM is an absolute joke and an insult to Thiago, hes playing on reputation now and thats fading fast right now.

Elliot is overrated,hes nowhere near athletic enough to be in midfield or on the wing the lad offers nothing more than Shaqiri did , hes more effective in the Salah role but thats not gonna happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Shaq offered loads. Never should have sold him.

Harsh on Salah, he's being played ultra wide and no longer has a midfield capable of winning the ball in positions he might capitalise from.

He's still responsible for our only highlight in this piss poor season by getting the City winner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, the recruitment strategy in the last few years has been strange to say the least. Obvious weaknesses in the squad have been ignored. Getting Gakpo now wasn't that urgent, I don't think he's that good a player that if we passed on him anyone would really regret it. Midfield on the other hand is crying out for reinforcements, spending Gakpo's fee on a midfielder this window might have paid for itself if we got top 4 by the end of the season. I don't think Gakpo is going to make much difference this season, he's likely to be a sub when Jota and Diaz are back, where as a new midfielder would likely become a starter for the remainder of the season as both Henderson and Fabinho look a shadow of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

3 forwards left the club in the summer. At least 1 was needed to come in.

Benjamin Pavard, Bellingham, Kimmich, Nkunku, Rafael Leão, Victor Osimhen, bring them in this summer, 400m

Sell Jones, Henderson, Keita, Milner, Gomez, Ox, Firmino, Fabinho. 100m

• Advertisement

Chelsea have spent 460m on players this season, and that's just the transfer fees. We need to outlay 400m, and recoup 100m plus in sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Very hard to sell players that won't be in contract.

Not a hope getting 100 million there unless you are playing FIFA.

The club just need to go big..probably won't happen but there isn't an ace to sell in the squad this time unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We have Salah, Jota, Nunez, Diaz, and Gakpo (and Firmino potentially resigning), and you wanna spend close to 200 million on 3 more forwards? (Nkunku has already signed for Chelsea also).

Mo has gone 3 prem games without a shot on target , He seems extra wide this season ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

The contrast in quality between the arsenal utd match and Liverpool Chelsea was vast depressingly so

Yea, but I'd be playing 5 attackers, one midfielder like City, I'd fit them all in the side in a 4-2-3-1.

The thing about Chelsea is they seems to have done their deals, can't see them signing another host of players in the summer.If they do they'll also need a new team bus

Gomez is the only one of those with any chance of getting that sort of money, and even then his horrendous injury record makes it tough. Fabinho wouldn't bring in half that, and Jones at this stage is maybe a 15m guy at a push.

It really was... though the number of injuries between Liverpool and Chelsea was also huge.

Jones, Henderson, Gomez, Milner and Oxlade-Chamberlain are homegrown players. Jones will not be an under 21 player next season and can be registered as homegrown. If we were to get rid of your suggested group of players then the squad for next season would be reduced to a maximum of 20 registered players plus the available under 21 players. Thankfully Klopp is not that crazy.

As things stand the club will need to sign at least one homegrown player in the summer to replace Milner and Oxlade-Chamberlain, that's what is fueling the speculation regarding Mason Mount. The departures of Adrian, Keita, Firmino and Melo will give some scope for signing non homegrown players.

Liverpool players for 2022/23 season:

Homegrown (8): Kelleher, Gomez, Phillips, Alexander-Arnold, Henderson, Jones, Williams, van den Berg, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Non Homegrown (13): Alisson, van Dijk, Konate, Matip, Robertson, Tsimikas, Fabinho, Thiago, Salah, Diaz, Jota, Nunez, Gapko, Adrian, Keita, Firmino, Melo

Under 21 on 1/1/2023: Ramsay, Bajcetic, Morton, Elliott, Carvalho, Doak

Depending on signings, I think that at least two of Jones, Williams and van den Berg will go out on loan next season.

From the players you listed, we'll be lucky to sign Bellingham, the rest are pie in the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Might have a chance of that on Fabs given his overall record. What would we have rated him at before this season? £60m? More? So even if this season wipes out half his value, that's not unrealistic. Don't see the others getting that sort of money though.

I tell you who might be a saleable asset given we bought three players that compete with him for left wing or the center in 12 months: Jota. Could get our £40m back easily.

Kelleher could push for a move either to get first team footie (although I'd rather loan him for a couple of years). Wonder what he'd get in the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Are you basing that just on age?

Homes has poor for years, injuries aside whereas Fabinho has been poor for half a season.

There is no way we'll get money like that for Gomez and it's not just because he's a sick note.

There are reports that Rhys Williams is returning from his loan with Blackpool.

I wonder if that's an indication that there are concerns about the availability of the defenders or possibly that Phillips is leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Koumetio also returned from his loan, just after the VVD injury news. I feared for how long he would be out for then too. But Koumetio just wasn't playing enough games.

William had been playing a nice bit of football, which makes the recall a bit strange. It's not like we have a lot of cup games remaining, where there will be mass rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

He's been on the bench since Stephen's Day and had a spell on the bench in November too. Maybe Blackpool have told us that he won't start for them regularly anymore unless they have injuries and we're going to send him somewhere else where he will start.

Honestly I don't think he has any future here. He's too slow, and unlike Phillips who's able to recogonise his lack of pace and tries to give himself a yard head start, Williams acts like he has the recovery pace of a 26 year old van Dijk. I'd sell him and bank the couple of million we'd get.

• Advertisement

I was reading on the Blackpool Gazette website that it was Liverpool's decision to recall the player and Blackpool are now looking to find a replacement because they only have two other centre backs.

I don't think we'd quite get that fee for Gomez, but given his age and being an English home grown player, he's more saleable than the others. He still has all the physical tools, and you could see a coach backing that they could get his concentration right. We've already seen ourselves (with a league win) that when his concentration is there and he's feeling good and playing every week that he's an excellent player.

Fabinho meanwhile, it's not about form. I wouldn't have an issue if he just had poor form - form can be turned around. His problem is that he looks like a cripple now. He can't move. I don't see anyone buying a midfielder who looks as physically ruined as he does.

I don't think Koumetio or Williams will really be able to step in convincingly over the longer term. The only one of our young CB's that might is Quansah, who (to me) looks to have an awful lot more potential than both.

With Koumetio back after not getting any game time on loan, Quansah has been allowed out on loan to Bristol, so it'll be next year before he might get a chance with us. That's a loan move worth watching carefully though.

I hope Phillips gets a good move though, he deserves it.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Stuck with fabinho unless he goes for free or a low price,at 30 years of age on a big contract till 2026 who is going to match that salary and take a chance on a meaningful transfer fee given how his form has dropped,he will become more of a squad player for the next couple of years.

Fabinho one for me is madness,

His form but more obviously his athletic ability has just fallen off a lciff, He can't sprint distance, He can't move two yards quickly , his flexibility is gone he looks stiff as a board, what the hell is up wit him

He is only 29 , below is him at 19 , do we have an Falcao on our hands who suddenly couldn't run at 30 ? Most DM are coming into there prime at 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They might need to do a DNA test for age,he might be older than milner....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its mind boggling for sure, 12 months ago he was in there vying for the best DM in the world spot.

Id love to hear if he's been playing through injury

It jut doesn't make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Liverpool open to offers for Phillip's this month

• Advertisement

I have made that assumption myself. Thiago had an injury when he joined the club, the staff thought it was manageable but it required corrective surgery at the end of the season. Henderson has spoken about how he carried injuries through entire seasons because he didn't want to leave the team down.

In the 2017/18 season, Klavan and Lovren both picked up injuries in the New Years Day fixture against Burnley. Klavan was unable to train for the remainder of the season and was dosed with anti-inflammatory and pain killing injections before appearing on the bench for almost every game. His reward was that he got to start the physical games (Everton, West Brom, Stoke City) sandwiched between the Champions League ties with Man City and Roma. He had surgery on his back after the season had ended and was shipped off to Serie A at the end of the transfer window.

Lovren had injured his hip in the Burnley game and carried it through the remainder of the season under the supervision of the medical staff. Afterwards he opted not to go for surgery because Croatia were in the World Cup where he played every minute of every game except for the dead rubber third group game. He aggravated the injury during the final and didn't let the club's medical team know until he returned to the club. Klopp was furious with him because he expected a fully fit player to return for the start of the 2018/19 season.

Gomez spoke about playing in games at the end of the 2017/18 season where the muscles in his right leg were numb and he felt he didn't have full control of the limb because of the injections he received to get him on the pitch. The fans may not be aware of that but quite a few will remember him ballooning crosses into the back of the stand and looking uncomfortable going forward in the same time period.

There is an expectation on the players to make themselves available and put their bodies on the line for every game. Klopp spoke about this many times and it was his major gripe with Daniel Sturridge.

I suspect that Fabinho has an injury from the 2020/21 season which has been managed by the medical team but the club haven't sent him for the proper corrective treatment because he's needed for the team. I could be wrong but the drop off in his physical ability is consistent with when short term band-aid treatments are no longer effective.

We need to sort out the Salah situation & get him more central , He is being wasted to wide at the moment

I'd love us to go 3 at the back wing backs & 3 cm & get Mo & Nunez up front together,

.......Gomez, MAtip Konate

Trent....................................Robbo

...........Naby..Thagio..??......

...........Mo.............Nunez

Just until we get , Jota,Diaz or Firmino back ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Hopefully the cb recalls are to go 3 at the back. The defence and midfield is all over the shop so should be trying a 5-3-2 at this stage.

I'd give fabinho a week holiday and let bajcetic play the brighton game. I can't believe how bad he has been this season, its like when he first joined where he was miles off the pace for a few months but I don't know how he's going to back up to speed.

i personally don't think Bajcetic is ready for starting week in week out i thought he was poor the weekend ,Lets not rush him

Thiago has been a 30-35 games a season player during his time at Liverpool. He has already played in 20 games this season. Keita has only stayed fit when rotated to start two games followed by a substitution appearance. I don't think a line up that is reliant upon their availability is really a sustainable option.

But 3 5 2 isn't reliant on the CM's in fact its to help them out ,You have the spare CB to catch free runner's & fill in for full backs, Its a system you play when your CM midfield is struggling ,

4 3 3 relies on the MF far more & needs Thiago & Keita even more so ,

• Advertisement

I played 6 games at the end of a season in my early 30's on painkiller for a IT band / knee issues ,One a semi final & 1 a final , It was horrible i just about looked fine in fitness tests & warm ups but just couldn't find any sharpness at all , Ps Obviously at a much much lower level ,

So id well believe it could be the case,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Player Injury Potential Return

1 Arthur Melo Thigh 4 February 2023

2 Luis Diaz Knee 4 March 2023

3 Virgil Van Dijk Hamstring 18 February 2023

4 Diogo Jota Calf 4 February 2023

5 Firmino Calf/Heel 28 January 2023

If Bobby and Jota are back in the next 10 days I'd go with a 4-2-4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

To add to the discussion on the injuries, Neil Atkinson on the Anfield Wrap has previously highlighted the issue of players not being fit to start but still being used as subs, TAA at the weekend being a good example.

Ramsey was supposed to be the backup for TAA but again that’s another injury prone player being brought in.

Its a bit of a vicious circle, the lack of quality squad depth means that players are being brought back too quickly and before they are fully healed.

By reliant I mean having an expectation for them to be fit to play. Klopp's training regimes take a heavy toll on the players. Van Dijk and Thiago joked in an interview that playing for Liverpool is the reward for enduring the physical torture of Klopp's training sessions. Thiago has made such comments on a few occasions which leads me to believe that the training regime at Liverpool is far different to that he experienced at Bayern and Barcelona. I haven't heard anything about the training becoming less physically intensive. James Milner said in an interview that their training level is a complete shock to the new arrivals but you just get used to it. However players that seem like they need to be wrapped in cotton wool once in a while are less likely to just get used to it.

Oxlade-Chamberlain is another player that looks lethargic when he steps onto the pitch and is a shadow of the player that was emerging before the injuries. I have wondered for a while whether he is so knackered from exerting himself in the training sessions that he hasn't had enough recovery time to be at his best for games. Even when he appears as a substitute there is no spark in him.

I don't think that switching to 3-5-2 will negate teams being able to walk through the midfield. I remember the twin standing statues of John Barnes and Jamie Redknapp in the 1990s with Michael Thomas looking on from the bench. The pair of them could cut teams apart when given the opportunity to ping passes but they were useless when we were out of possession. We find ourselves in a similar situation now because of the lack of intensity from the players in the centre.

If we were certain that Keita could be fit for every game then it could work, he was a one man midfield at Leipzig but we have only every seen brief glimpses of it during his time at Liverpool.

Funny you mention Naby his last season at Red Bull they conceded 53 goals only 3 team in the whole league had a worse defensive record,

• Advertisement
Advertisement