Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patient attacked and killed in Cork hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Be right back

Awful news to hear. May the poor man rest in peace..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

Agitated.....

Wonder what the younger chap was in for, was it in A&E or in a ward I wonder

Jesus H Christ.

I actually feel quite disturbed and distressed after reading this. That poor man, and his poor family.

When you have a loved one in hospital you presume they are safe.

You couldn't anticipate waking up on a Sunday morning to a call from the Gardaí that your loved one has been murdered by another patient.

It's beyond horrific.

My condolences to the family of the deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

My wife was in A/E in CUH last Sunday night. A male patient fitting the age if this guy was going a bit nuts and the staff mentioned him being moved to the Mercy and given "something to calm him down" He had injuries to his head and knuckles...

Horrific way for that poor old man to die. RIP.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The staff on duty have questions to answer as to how this could have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Hospital is no place for the sick, covid MRSA frequent flyers lax security or zero security at all

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well yeah, there is several investigations on going, including a criminal one.

Horrific incident.

The poor man.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

How would you expect nurse's to stop a violent attack involving someone with mental health issues,

We absolutely need more and larger facilities for dealing with people that shouldn't be sent to a&e

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Be right back

To be fair, it happened at 5 this morning when patients would be asleep and it might have happened extremely quickly.

I didn't say I expected them to stop it, but this guy should have been under supervision at all times, its their job to make sure patients are safe at all times.

I doubt you would be so forgiving if it was your father it happened to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭XsApollo

What staff is that exactly?

I don’t know what type of security are in hospitals, but a male in his 30’s losing his mind, is a tough challenge for anybody to stop.

at this stage there should probably be armed gardai stationed at each hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Photobox

My elderly father in law was in the same hospital last year and was harassed there by another patient looking for money, I found it so upsetting that this could happen to someone in hospital, his family must be distraught.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It's not even that surprising given the utter state of our mental health services, hospitals, policing and justice system. In the recent A&E thread I expressed surprise that nobody had yet gone postal in our health service - well maybe now they have.

Well then if there was nobody there that was able to control him he should never have been let inside the door in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Not Cork, but we had 6 patients who needed supervision for one reason or another on my general surgical ward a couple of weeks ago. Documented in the medical notes they needed a one to one HCA with them 24 hours a day. At best we had 2 Healthcare assistants at worse we had none. Unless you have a secret farm where you can produce these workers they aren't out there.

We fill in incident forms daily, document in our notes it's unsafe and try to manage those patients whilst caring for the rest of the workload, including extra patients on corridors.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Well then there is a problem in the system you work in, a man is dead in a place where he should have been kept safe.

You can come out with smart arse comments about secret farms but a life has been lost and somebody has to be held accountable as to how it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Theres no where safe anymore in Ireland - Soft Judges & Free legal Aid solicitors guarantee that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Deub

Easy to say when you know the result. Not so easy when the situation happens every day in an Irish hospital and nothing happens in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

No they do not!

This could have happened on a bus or train!

Should every ward have a security guards present?

Hospitals have enough to deal with besides this sh*te!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Absolutely awful poor man.

so much of our health systems are not suitable for modern needs. Government absolutely asleep at the wheel, closing mental health facilities, drugs endemic at this stage. Old people in general hospitals as they have no where else to go to recuperate, too few staff, not enough medicines, I could go on. An investigation will occur, lessons will be learned but nothing will change. My condolences to that man’s family and friends, horrific for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

At least the HSE and their staff won't be able to cover this one up - like the way they covered up 100+ sexual assaults of residents by another resident in a facility in Donegal.

I doubt the blame will get as far as the government because it never does but they're accountable. I dare say a nurse or two will lose their job but nothing will change, it won't be any safer for people. The HSE is unsafe and I wouldn't want a loved one being a patient in it at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just to point out that none of us know the details of this case.

It will be investigated.

Sincere condolences to family and friends of the victim. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Why would a nurse or two lose their job over this incident? We know very little about it but it's hard to see circumstances where a nurse would lose their job over something like this.

I don't think they necessarily should, I just think the most likely ones to face any disciplinary action wil be the nurses. Sh*t flows downstream. We don't fill in mountain's of forms because we think it'll improve things, it never does, we do it in the vain hope it'll help us keep our registration when terrible incidents like this occur.

• Yes there ought to be much more security present in hospitals to protect staff and patients. I don’t mean bouncer types, but people specially trained in medical security, where they understand something of medical & psychiatric situations and have good negotiation skills as well as knowing how to apply restraints in the most extreme cases to prevent such as tragic incident as happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But according to you a nurse's are there for patient safety ,so are nurses bouncer's too .

I don't think it works like that at all for all we know the attacker was in need of medical attention.

So he was entitled to be there?

I would think nurses are the least likely to face disciplinary action if any is warranted in this case, and that's not a given. The nurses aren't the ones admitting patients into the hospital. They are only there to look after those admitted or being treated. They aren't bodyguards or bouncers and can't be expected to be everywhere all the time.

Regarding your 'sh*t flows downstream' comment. You can't sack a nurse if they haven't done something wrong. And it would have to be something very serious to warrant being sacked. So, if a doctor screws up, you can't sack the nurse. We have laws to stop stuff like that.

You can't expect security to be present on every ward 24 hours a day. Hospitals are big buildings and it can take security a few minutes to make it to the wards. It wouldn't take a few minutes for someone in their 30's to kill an 89 year old. Sure pushing them over would nearly do it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

I've spent a lot of nights there and honestly there is **** all to prevent anyone suddenly attacking another person so all this blame towards the staff is just nonsense. Security is generally around the two entrances anyway and by the time they could respond to an incident upstairs in either block the damage would already be done.

Vast majority of staff there are the most decent honest people I've ever had the pleasure to be around and if I hadn't been a fool when I was younger I'd love nothing more than to work there too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement