Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So make me welcome.......

Options
  • 22-01-2023 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Patrick Keilty on with Tommy Tiernan last week......

https://www.balls.ie/the-rewind/patrick-kielty-tommy-tiernan-show-united-ireland-539581

I hold both Passports.

My Dad's from Donegal, I grew up in Down.

I'm currently on the stay in the union side of the argument, for 2 reasons.

1 is the NHS. free medical treatment for ANY illness, no charges at all. I have a family member with cancer and the idea of (politically) moving to a system with no NHS terrifies me. I follow Michelle O'neill of FB and every time she comments on fixing the NHS, I ask about post unification Health provision and after at least 20 queries I have had the sum total of no responses.

Guarantee a single tier free at the point of contact Health service and I'm in.

2 is the welcome we'd receive.

Northern Ireland has a lot to offer. We're well educated, hard working, we have Pharmaceutical research, financial services and manufacturing. we could be a real asset a united Ireland.

IF, and its a HUGE if...... the folk who are terrified of being raped in their beds by Baby eating Catholic priests and GAA playing murderers (extreme, but there are a lot of 'em who feel that way) aren't encouraged and welcomed as P. Keilty so eloquently put it...... its going to be a horrible mess.

And what about the teachers who don't have a word of Irish? Can they stay in teaching?

It is NOT like Germany where both East and West wanted to unite and yes, there were hassles, but isn't it great to be able to visit cousin Gunther again.

and saying "sod off back to England if you like them so much" doesn't work either because you have a house to sell... a job to get... kids in school....

Patrick Keilty is shockingly mature and put this wonderfully eloquently.

so go on..... is your attitude like the Borg and the North should be assimilated..... "suck it up, watch the Late late show, learn to like GAA and if you don't start greeting us with Howya, you'll get a hiding"

or are you going to encourage some of the moderates like myself, that a united Ireland would be a good thing for all of us?

I'd be interested to hear your take on it!

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I think your view of the Republic is very off the mark and full of outdated stereotypes that possibly never existed. I've never heard anyone saying howya ... There's a lot less differentiating us then you think. I think point 2 says more about you than anything else and I'd suggest traveling about Ireland. I live in West cork and have many Scottish, English, COI neighbours and friends who call it home and all are as invested in the nation as anyone else. There's the odd potatoe or toaster in the cupboard joke but that's it.

Why would there be a single tier health system, the UK doesn't do that now? Is the NHS really all that. I love the idea but in practice it seems that by the time you get a gp appointment anything could have happened.

We do need to debate the changes unification would have on the republic as it can't be expected that the 6 counties are the only ones to adjust and I'm open to moving towards an NHS but certainly not at the cost of having to wait to see a doctor I'd rather pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Seeing a doctor? My wife called at 9.30 on Thursday morning and was with the Dr by 12.00. Depends where you are, naturally, but now that covid is mainly behind us, we haven't had any issues.

And as to the attitude that the Irish hate us? Not me (like I said, I have family and never had an issue) but there are many folk who feel that way and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,634 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So you use an anecdote about a relative to wave away all the the facts about the crisis and decline in the NHS and then jump to bizarre myths about flesh eating Catholic priests and portray yourself as a 'moderate'?

As I said above, there are SOME who feel that. Not me. Sorry if I was less than clear.

Please feel free to answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

If unification happens, us down here in the Republic will have to realise that it will be a new country, not the ROI+6.

For that reason alone, I can't see it happening. So many laws will need to be rewritten, as well as cultural points being hammered out.

It's a great point about teachers needing Gaeilge. That will definitely have to be conceded.

• Advertisement

That's a stroke of a pen concession and pragmatic.

Do you want to live in a forward looking republic in the EU in which you have direct access to government and legislation making? Or do you want to remain in a declining union that has no care for you at governmental level and has continually shafted and betrayed you for decades?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Perhaps given the views you have expressed the first thing we should be doing is fostering relationships between Derry, Belfast, Galway, Waterford, Limerick and Cork. From my own experience many in Northern Ireland seem to have a view that the republic is Dublin and religious farmers.

Perhaps a few subsidised air routes would encourage more interaction. I've gone to the North a lot more than most Corkonians but to be honest heading to the North of Scotland is possibly easier since the flight that crashed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@martinedwards

Just travel around Ireland and see the people - interact with them. I am sure that you will be welcomed by them. Of course, you must be able to be welcomed by you own approach.

The population of Ireland is 15% immigrant - that is 15% of the population were not born in Ireland. Add to those who are the offspring of that 15% and a population and you might get to 1 in 5 of the population. Just for contrast, if there was a united Ireland, the current population of NI would represent 1 in 5 on the UI population.

So if those that were not born in Ireland have assimilated without much problem then so should those from NI. Besides which, those in NI have not assimilated very well with each other so far - but they can work on that.

As for the NHS, that is in serious trouble throughout the UK, and is in decline. One of the UK ministers was suggesting that GP visits should be charged for to dampen demand. Meanwhile there is talk of making GP visits free through the HSE, but early days. I doubt that there will be a difference should there be a UI.

No one can persuade you if you do not go to test the welcome you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

The idea of a United Ireland is romantic at best in this day and age. For those that still belive they are fighting against an occupation.

I'm Irish and I never see it happening and if we were given a vote I'd vote no to reunion.

What's the point at this stage ?

Loyalists hate my type. A person with a republic accent. Ive been at the end of sectarian abuse countless times simply because of my accent.

Politicians will never change that hate the Northern Loyalists feel towards people born down the road from them.

Any union would be a disaster. There can never be union. Think of the word. Not going to happen

• Advertisement

I suspect that there would be a passionate response, but can you imagine the look on the keen unifiers in the North in the vote came out 60/40 for unification..... but the vote in the south was 60/40 against, because frankly it would be too much hassle.....

I love our politics!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Regarding medical care. My wife is currently undergoing treatment for cancer. The bills to date, have been €80 for each instance of admission. That charge is capped at €800 per year and is being phased out completely for cancer patients this year.

I myself have a few ongoing medical issues, and life long ailments. To that end, I have a medical card which gives me free care at GP and hospitals. I have a "long term illness" card which confers free prescriptions for medicines associated with the life long issues and any other meds are covered by medical card with a charge of €1.50 per item.

I have never had to wait more than a couple of days for a GP appointment. They are usually next day.

The move is already in train towards free GP care and a more integrated primary care system.

There are certainly issues with bed capacity, ICU bed capacity and waiting lists. These are certainly no worse than the current situation with the NHS trusts in NI. Further come any reunification? The improvements possible with the Health systems in the NW and Border regions is marked and will lead to a definite improvement across all services in those regions.

N.I does have much to offer a U.I, unlike the currently prevalent British and in particular English attitude, N.I isn't seen as our poor cousin. It's not a black hole for subvention funding. The welcome N.I would receive, is a topic I've seen raised continually by those of the PUL tradition. I can understand why it's raised. Yet whenever anyone is asked when have they been feel unwelcome or at risk? The answers are a bit nebulous.

As an example, I'm from the south, with a lot of family in N.I and I spend quite a bit of time up that way. I have been subject to some tense moments solely due to my accent and in 1 occasion my license plate. My uncle is married to a protestant lady and lives in a quite protestant area. I've often heard her family talk about what they "think" the south is like, and how they expect to be treated. Yet, whenever they come down our way? The reality is at odds with their expectations.

My wife is protestant, her mother from Carrickfergus and same story. Lots of talk from her family about how the expected to be treated yet the reality is again totally different to their expectations.

The reality is that Religion and even political leaning doesn't matter a whit south of the border. We tend to focus more on precisely that which unites us rather than what are rapidly becoming petty differences.

That's not to say that beliefs, traditions and community don't matter. They do, hugely but, you don't build community by worrying over petty differences and in regards religion especially? Those differences are more and more seen as petty.

I find your notion that we are Borg and you must be assimilated amusing tbh. We don't want PUL to be belittled. A U.I winning doesn't mean that we rub "victory" in the faces of PUL. It means that we find a way to do precisely what the GFA is built on. A way of finding parity of esteem. Not having confrontation over parade routes nor even banning them. Rather finding a way of affording everyone the right to celebrate their heritage without imposing it as triumphalism.

One thing that leaps out from your post, and it's something that Nationalists need to address and to acknowledge. Is the simple fact that you see a united Ireland as being imposed upon you. A defeat, rather than as opportunity. There must be room for all traditions in a 32. It must however learn from the mistakes of 100yrs of NI and not be a 2 tier state.

It really does feel that many of the fears of the PUL community revolve around a fear of being treated as 2nd class citizens. A fear of facing a retribution or similar.

Rather than putting a shoulder towards building an undiscovered, and a better country. The fear of being treated as the NI state once treated some, really is holding back many particularly on the PUL side from engaging in even honest debate.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Problem is, there won't be many unionists voting for unity. It will come down to nationalists and ex-unionists or never-unionists who have always voted with their wallet in their hand.

When a successful vote happens, there will be a lot of hair torn out and gnashing of teeth, but that minority - less than 10% - will have little influence on the resulting changes. Many of them might to decide not even to vote in the first couple of elections after unification. Northern Nats will likely want stronger rather than weaker policies on various aspects of Irishness, although they may concede some exception regarding Irish in the school system for practical reasons. Transitory Provisions are often built into laws when a new system is set up, and this is a likely form regarding aligning various differences in the two regions of the new state.

its not MY opinion that the north will be swallowed into a Republic of Ireland, but it is an opinion that is not uncommon... especilly among the most vocal of anti reunification folk.....

10% voting against re-unification? I suspect that any vote will be a LOT closer to 50/50

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Honestly OP I think it will be a case in the other direction; NI making a case for a UI along with UK pitching in and not the other way around. NI is if you execuse me for saying so a money pit for the UK economy. It has over 25% state employees compared to Ireland's below 15%, it brings no real relevant votes to UK parliament (and in the few occasions those votes have mattered they have been easily and cheaply bought) nor does it have any significant manufacturing, raw material etc. to bring to the table. The only reason it's currently doing better than UK is because it got to remain in EU but let's be honest here it's only a battering bat for the Tories to try to stoke the flames of evil EU. If the UK ever decides it needs to cut it costs it's a likely target because no votes in parliament, not mainland UK and let's be honest, who in mainland UK cares? Hence I'm not expecting it will be a case of Ireland trying to woo NI as you seem to think; it will be a case of London tightening the purse and tell you it's time to get on with that unification with Ireland and London will take this chunk of the bill doing so and if not, well, best of luck on this drastically reduced budget going forward. Why? Because a UI would have the albatross of NI economy arounds it's neck to deal with which means the benefit for RoI is no where near what NI would gain by comparison (with an big topping of drama on top of it all even assuming things run relatively smoothly) and the unification of Germany is an historical example to look at.

the difference being that Germany did NOT have a sizable, and extremely vocal group of (in the main) landowners, who wanted no part of any reunification. these are the group that Keilty says need to be sweet talked into the united Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes; but said land owners are unlikely to remain relevant land owners if they can't afford to live due to reduced subsidies and economy crashing around them which is my point... Your (and by extension Keilty who've not listend to) is that RoI needs to sweet talk them into a deal; what I'm stating is that in fact it will be the opposite to this. They will be looking to sweet talk RoI into a deal because if not they will be very much worse off and the once who'll end up paying for the deal of a UI is not NI but RoI. And unlike with GB such a deal is going to be put up for a vote (for example the Brexit vote) the consequences will be very clearly spelled out to all the voters including the cost of the deal to RoI in economical terms. And that's what NI unification vote will be up against; selling to RoI why they should end up paying biillions yearly to NI for the unification for something that's not going to mean a lot to them outside the border area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Actually the unification was not conducted the way a UI would be likely to be conducted.

The unification was not East Germany and West Germany uniting as a single country. Instead each East German Lander joined West Germany separately. It would be like each county in NI voted to join Ireland, but that cannot happen under the GFA as it is all or nothing.

Northerners should look at the current celebrations of the Chinese New Year, and previous ones for other minority groups that have come to live here. Maybe a 12th parade down O'Connell St might be possible for them - maybe to rival the St Patrick's Day one.

Many arrive in Ireland for a new beginning and perhaps Northerners might try to look on a UI as a new beginning not only for NI but Ireland as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Absolutely zero hope of an Orange march down O'Connell St.

Can you imagine what would happen if people destroyed tri-colours on the main thoroughfare of the country?

As an aside, the tone of the title of this thread is annoying me 😂

"so make me welcome......."

The ellipses seem like a threat, like they're saying, "Or else"

Also, why should we? What are you bringing to the table? This cannot be one way traffic. How will you make me feel welcome......?

I’ve actually no idea what religion my friends or neighbours are because it’s something that simply never comes up in Cork. It isn’t a badge of identity at all really. I’m vaguely aware of that some of them are C of I, because I’ve been to weddings and funerals over the years and quite a few are not any religion in particular.

There aren’t Catholic and Protestant areas and you’d be looked at like some kind of utter loon if you brought religion up in politics these days. It’s just not a thing.

If there’s any sense of identity issue here it’s geographical. Cork’s rather proud of being Cork, but anyone living here can also adopt that. You can be born in Beijing, Paris, Nairobi or even Hull, yet be Corkonian. There are even a few Derry-Corkonians (a terrifying combination of fierce identities) It’s a largely just state of mind and a healthy very much tongue-in-cheek dislike of Dublin and wariness of all things Kerry related. Several of the symbols of the city - Bells of Shandon and St Finbarre’s Cathedral are Protestant churches - but more importantly, they’re fiercely Corkonian landmarks.

The republic’s first President was Protestant and cofounder of the Gaelic league and one of this city’s best known lord mayors was Jewish, and to fast forward to modern times nobody knows what religion, if any, most public office holders are. Even the Taoiseach is openly gay and that isn’t remotely controversial. The only complaints you’ll ever hear about him is people think he’s too fiscally conservative or they’ve genuine and justifiable complaints about housing or other policies.

There is also very little controversy about moves towards Ireland being far more socially open and views are very liberal and live and let live. There’s no equivalent of the DUP or bible bashing religious politics of either Catholic or Protestant varieties. That era is long gone.

Historically the state has also provided support to Protestant communities though support of educational institutions (schools, colleges etc) and heavily protected those rights at a constitutional level.

Most people seem to be very secular in their views. I was brought up without any practiced religion in my household, several family members have had non religious weddings. Most of my friends have been similar. Even my late grandmother had an entirely non religious funeral and couldn’t give a flying feck about any of that stuff.

It’s increasingly a very multicultural, internationally focused, outward looking, vibrant place. The only issues at present are it’s got more jobs than people to fill them and not enough houses due largely to a relatively booming economy.

I’m not trying to be dismissive or patronising, and I’ve a lot of family from Northern Ireland and from Donegal, but discussion of northern politics frankly doesn’t feature here. I’d actually say you’d have issues trying to explain which party is which as it’s just far away and a bit scary to most people.

If a United Ireland does happen at some point in the future there’s literally nobody in politics or the discussion that wishes to force anything on Northern Ireland. You can rest assured anything would only be ever by consent and there would be enormous levels of care taken to avoid making anyone feel unwelcome. I would suspect you’d probably have a federal ireland emerge, probably with NI remaining as a devolved state within that structure.

Also why would the NI health system deteriorate? The Republic spends significantly more per capita on health and the Tories are currently driving the NHS into the ground.

Likewise, of course NI has a lot to offer. Nobody disputes that. If anything the aim would be to maximise its potential. You’d have the full weight of the IDA, the vast networks that drive economics in the Republic as well as NI’s own agencies and probably retain some kind of long term special relationship with the UK. I don’t really see how this could ever be any issue.

I don’t know but perhaps go on a tour of Ireland sometime and have a browse around the cities, towns and villages and maybe actually get to know people rather than viewing the world though some kind of sectarian or national identity glasses from a hundred years ago.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,372 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I get the feeling that some people in NI think there are loads of healthcare charges in Ireland.

There are just four, and many people don't pay some/all of the four fees:

(1) GP fee for some people. All over 70s, and all under 6 = zero, as the taxpayer pays. 40% of the pop have a medical card = zero fee.

(2) Pharmacy = limited to a max of 80 per month, applies to everybody

(3) ED fee = 100, but this is zero if you are referred from GP

(4) overnight stay in hosp = 80 / max 800 a year, this fee is due to be abolished in 2023 AFAIK.

40% of the pop with GMS medical cards do not pay any of these fees, but do pay 2.50 (I think) per item on prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭rock22

Actually, east Germany only re-created the Lander as a mechanism for uniting with West Germany. The New west Germany is not a successor state of east Germany, i.e. East Germany ceased to exist.

OP, your questions are all political. And will only be answered by the voters at the time of a United Ireland. Many will want a NHS style healthcare system free at the point of delivery for everyone and many will want a system we have now where healthcare is prioritised for the wealthy. That debate is going on here and in the UK. You need to wake up of your think the NHS will survive another period of Tory rule.

Unity is about whether you want to make political decisions in Ireland or you prefer to be ruled, as a colony, from Westminster. There are no guarantees either way, what policies might be implemented of abandoned. (Think of the Scottish voters who voted against independence because they were afraid they would lose EU membership.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

My take on it is that I have always found Cat Kielty ní Deeley very pleasing on the eyes....

In fairness to Kielty he has a fairly hefty dog in the fight if he wanted to pick that ember out of the fire? The troubles hit his family in an awful hard and very sad way?

I think the only way forward is through the people who love and care about the six counties. They are the people who are facing all of its challenges? That will mean compromise and sacrifices on both sides of the walls that loiter everywhere. Forget about the cost of it or who is going to pay for it, that is going to be astronomical. Everyone will be forking out for that. I would also get your head around getting bogged down on pedantic shight which won't matter long term. The reality is that if the members of the six counties want a voice on the matter they need to start supporting the politicians that are facing up to the issue. As effective the DUP think they are being as regards offering opposition to power sharing, or other more blatant strategies of intransigence... at some point unionist voters are going to have to start asking themselves what do they want?

I tell you one thing for certain op, if I thought for a second that any citizen in the six counties were going to have their rights or identity compromised by a United Ireland I wouldn't be voting for it or supporting it. No one should be approving any form of fundamental change to the NI constitution without bilateral approval. On my watch that republic cannot be formed without the full support of all its' citizens. I don't care how long that takes, it is the right way. Backing people into a corner is not the answer.

full support of all its citizens will never happen. the DUP will fight tooth and nail all the way.

a majority is what will swing it.

and that is when the nation of Ireland will (according to Keilty) need to reach out and reassure........

thanks for that breakdown.

my wife's cancer treatment has been utterly free in Belfast.

no prescription charges, no GP charges, no overnight costs, and no charges for the weekly visits from community nurses. they even give a free pass to the hospital carpark

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So I feel like the OP has made up there mind already, but I'll chuck in my views

First off, for NI there isn't just the binary choice of United Republic of Ireland or the UK

There is for example the possibility of independence from both bodies (probably no advantage tbh) or some sort of federal republic of both ROI and NI

In both those cases the NI assembly would continue to exist and would retain various degrees of independence for making laws

I suspect the federal government idea wouldn't fly too well in ROI, if northern Ireland gets it's own government then why not an independent government for Munster or Connacht? The Irish government would probably prefer to shut down that argument before it even begins

So in the case of a united republic, it's also worth considering that the people of NI aren't powerless in this process, and it would be up to their elected representatives to negotiate to ensure NI's advantages are maintained as much as possible

I'll be brutally honest and I don't think either of SF or DUP/UUP/TUV would be any good for this. SF would try to match the Republic as much as possible in terms of promoting Irish language and essentially trying to erase the unionist identity

The unionist parties would most likely try to boycott any negotiations and the resulting settlement would be to their detriment

In terms of the advantages NI enjoys currently, there seem to be 2 or 3 that stand out

NHS is the main one mentioned by the OP. Now depending on who you ask, the NHS is either the world's greatest health service (if you vote Tory) or an utter shambles that has been hollowed out by successive governments and no longer fit for use

I'm not sure which is closer to the truth but on paper the NHS is better being a universal healthcare system, rather than our subsidised version

I suspect the push towards Slaintecare is a way to mimic the NHS and is quietly a way to make the Republic more attractive

The other main advantage I can see for NI is it's current unique position with actress to both UK and EU

I believe in 2021 the NI economy grew by around 15%, second highest in the UK for that year

Joining the republic would most likely remove or severely limit access to the UK, so there's no clear advantage there at the moment

However, this position is an advantage until it isn't. The cynic in me says that the UK government isn't happy that the only part of the UK that remained part of the EU is doing better than the rest

It's possible this is partly behind the efforts the UK was going to to dismantle the NI protocol. Doing so would likely force checks between ROI and NI, or between ROI and the rest of the EU

If a situation came about where NI could only have access to one market, then it'll come down to fairly simple economics

The UK is the biggest export destination, however I believe most of the goods going between both countries are covered under the existing trade agreements.

In any case, the UK doesn't seem to be performing any customs checks on incoming goods from the EU, so the flow of trade would probably remain the same as it currently is

So for NI is it worth losing access to the EU market, in return for keeping access to the UK, particularly when they would have almost the same level of access inside the EU

The last major advantage I can think of is the ability for NI citizens to live and work in the UK. Presumably this would still be in place if the Common Travel Area still exists this would still be in place

However if Ireland joined the Schengen area then the CTA would probably cease to exist. In this case, I imagine there will be a cut off date whereby NI citizens born after a certain date would no longer be able to apply for UK citizenship. Basically the same situation as in ROI for people born before 1949

As others have said, I don't think the gulf between the two countries are as great as some imply. There was even a commentary on RTE some time ago about how the unionist parties may find more common cause with some of the more conservative groups in Ireland than in the UK (the Haely Reas were mentioned as potential bedfellows)

Not really sure how much truth there is to that, but the unionists have worked with the baby eating Catholics in the past when is suited them

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• On a light note I’d vote for a United Ireland if it meant the end of compulsory Irish 😉

For Leaving Cert subjects we could still have optional Irish and a new optional subject, Ulster Scots, maybe the latter combined with English as in English Studies with Ulster Scots where the evolution of dialects would also be explored.

Irish could be studied alongside element of Scots Gaelic & Manx to understand the evolution of Celtic languages, with reference to Welsh, Cornish, Breton.

There could be many educational options for young people to study all-island aspects, but changing the history curriculum could be contentious if not done carefully.

• Advertisement

@martinedwards

The NHS is/was a great system but is being dismantled by the Tories, so 'point at the point of delivery' might be generally true now, but might not last long.

However, it is the aim of the Irish Gov to actually introduce that system in Ireland.so a UI Ireland would save you if the timing was favourable for you.

It will all be made clear prior to any referendum taking place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement