Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

There were no Ukrainian victories, only orc goodwill gestures, right? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

I would certainly agree that this thread is very much pro-Ukraine. I’m clearly pro-Ukraine myself in my own posts and it’s clear there are many others here of a similar mind. But this isn’t surprising given the nature of this conflict. A larger nation is trying to forcefully subdue a smaller neighbour essentially because they feel they have a right to do it, while ignoring all of the rules of War. The smaller nation’s right to choose is being ignored and and sense of their own democracy is at stake, not to mention their very existence.

Unless you have a very corrupted moral compass it shouldn’t be difficult to see which side of this conflict should prevail and which should fail. When a poster comes on here supporting the Russian position they have set themselves up with the titanic task of having to defend that position. Based on everything we know now about the conflict so far, defending Russia requires the same burden of proof as claiming that “Nazi Germany weren’t really the bad guys in WWII”. Any given poster can have a shot of that, but their argument would need to be truly amazing. I’ve yet to see that, and the flimsy counter arguments in defence of Russia feel to be little more than apologist talking points.

Combine this with the newly registered users who seen to tag in / tag out every other week, you get the feeling that is very often a managed attempt to defend Russia’s position. And when that inevitably fails they just stir the pot until thread-banned.

I will agree that labelling someone as a Putin-bot for just offering a count-position does happen a little too readily, but I feel that’s down to the frequency of actual Putin-bots turning up. If they would just cut that out it would be easier to debate without that card being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭threeball

Any countries currently looking at purchasing Leopard tanks should take heed of how unreliable the Germans are, their ability to use their past transgressions as an excuse to amazingly sit back and let another country carry out similar and claim victim status is frankly sickening.

They should move on to the Korean Panther which is equally as proficient if not more so and they'd be dealing with a country that isn't nearly as compromised. The fact it has the KSTAM munition which would be ideal for decapitating every Russian tank ever made is just an added bonus. Unfortunately there is nearly enough of these made to be useful to Ukraine right now but others should learn from the current lessons being learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

I do view the AFU as a superior fighting force, don’t get me wrong. But my opinion is based on the history of conflicts for control of Crimea. The “little green men” invasion of 2014 was possibly one of the few historical examples of a swift and mostly bloodless conquest of the peninsula, and that was due to the poor state of the AFU at the time, the element of surprise and the fact that Russia already had a large military base there.

Even with the Soviet army in shambles in WWII, it took many months for the Nazi forces to fully invade Crimea and that took some of the heaviest arms they had to make a dent in their defences. Crimea is a difficult object to win historically.

This is not to say the AFU can’t do it eventually, but unless there is a total and dramatic collapse of Russian command & control it won’t happen quickly. The loss of Crimea would spell the end for Putin, and he’d probably order a defense that would make Bakmut look like a schoolyard scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think that WW2 comparisons ignore the huge change in technology & that is almost totally on the Ukrainian side. One scenario could be to invade Crimea & then say that Russia can have it back in exchange for all other occupied territories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Re the Korean Panther. The gun is German, produced under license, so does this limit who they can sell to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd think most people who follow for a while are savvy enough to differentiate between those with unconditional support for Ukraine and those who have query certain aspects of the campaign whilst supporting Ukraine.

But there are others who clearly have a different agenda.

The first obvious thing to look at is their join date. If that's anytime after about June 2022 and particularly a rash of them in Nov & Dec 2022, there's a good chance they are either rogue or previous posters who've been thread or site banned.

Then second you look at the general tone of their ideas - obviously if it's pro Russian you have a idea but there's also some that start with a more insidious style - they typically sympathise with Ukraine and then wonder at the great loss of life and wouldn't it be better to just make a deal with Russia. Or that Europe/ world is making a mistake and the economic hardship of supporting Ukraine will bring all economies down. Or that what Russia is doing is terrible but their advice is to be careful escalating in case the Kremlin feels threatened and nuclear war envelops us all. When a major atrocity against civilians occurs, they sit on the fence and equivocate. These posters just maybe genuine but the gut feeling is that they are engaging in Russian counter propaganda & disinformation campaign designed to put doubts in peoples minds & lessen support for Ukraine. So after a pattern of this, they get called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

I am not worried about retaking Crimea. Once the land bridge is closed, the Kerch bridge can be blown and that makes the orc supply situation impossible. Say hello to another "goodwill gesture".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

You're dealing with a handful of posters whose only criterion for good politicians is their stance on war. They post here about 50 times a day while seemingly living off benefits but would a single one of them volunteer to go fight for this cause they so passionately believe in? Of course not. Let others work and die for it ...

You're right about Churchill. Heroic in WW2 and a brilliant orator, yes, but with a disgraceful record in the colonial sphere. The first point doesn't cancel the second one

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SteHam

Anyone i've come across trying to justify the invasion itself usually do so to be against the grain, it's in their nature. You hand them an orange and they'll tell you it is an apple. A lot of it seems to stem from a want to side against anything the majority, or the State sides with. They're out to argue for argument sake and arguing with that type is pointless.

The "putinbot" labelling often shuts down individuals who haven't given an inkling that they are pro-russian, they just haven't toed the line laid out by a few here. "whataboutery" has lost all true meaning as well as it's often now just another tool now to shut down discussion. If someone's argument is rubbish, they'll unravel themselves which is far more fun to read over page after page of buzzwords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This is interesting if true ,seems the Germans really are playing a stupid game,

They should announce the next Nato/Ukraine supplies conference will take place in Poland or Estonia and not in Rammstein.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The white arm bands have been an identification symbol as Russian since day one, much as the yellow armbands have been Ukrainian. The Z on the vehicles for Russia, the cross on the vehicles for Ukrainian.

A Ukrainian pattern camo without the Ukrainian markings on it no more makes it a Ukrainian uniform than wearing OCP pattern ACUs without the US markings on it makes it an American uniform. Even wearing the enemy uniform is not a war crime, unless active fighting or espionage is conduced wearing it.

War crimes are defined by law and precedent. As a serviceman who takes his job fairly professionally, I aim to follow the laws and help others to understand them. Plenty enough war crimes going around without having to invent new instances.

Yet nobody mentions the Russians wearing multicam,the latest and Greatest American camouflage uniforms worn from army ,navy and airforce units

KSTAM seems a waste of effort to me. Doesn't do anything that a BONUS type artillery round won't do better. Save the space in the tank for effects only a tank can provide. Maybe the Korean doctrinaires know something I don't, or that they have concerns about their artillery ranging certain targets in their terrain.

The cannon is not a copy of the German cannon, though it is designed to fire the NATO standard ammunition such as the German cannon uses. Germany would have no say on the matter of its export. With Poland making strides to create K2 manufacturing ability within their country, they are going to be well placed to be a center for future export to Europe, especially if the tank comes out well from the Norwegian trials against Leopard.

I'm OK with the West suggesting to Ukraine that they wait until their new Western-equipped brigade is trained up to use the equipment. It's not only a matter of which buttons to push, but a Bradley uses different tactics to a BMP, as you would expect since it has different capabilities despite both being categorized as IFVs. The new capabilities may allow for an entirely different way of fighting for Ukraine than they've been doing so far. As long as there is no disaster on the front requiring intervention, it may well prove to save more lives in the long run if a well-forged hammer smashes the opposition into pieces as opposed to bludgeoning a good sized dent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Traditionally during the post WW1 Weimar Republic of Germany period, the SPD stood as an anti Monarchist, anti Nazi & anti Communist political party. Hence their famous election posters with the trident spear. I assume large amounts of former East German communists must have joined after the reunification of Germany. So much for Social Democracy.

I'm now wondering how many modern politicians in Ireland are similarly compromised recently & in the past by Soviet & Russia intelligence operatives?

I'll bet there are also plenty even more in Britain to join them, traitor communists have a chequered history there, in the universities & upper classes since during World War Two.

Anyone identifying as a Marxist Leninist is a danger to any western democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Russia are still holding a massive amount of territory with a demoralised, poorly equipped untrained army. There must be multiple weak points that Ukraine can take advantage of to take further large chunks, with minimal losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That insta-meme Orc idiot wearing a military uniform in a hot zone, does indeed appear to be injured. Looks like sh's leaving via the red door.

We haven't had a Darth update for a while.

A bit like boards really

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I saw some recent vintage Solovyov comments on a telegram channel:

"We must enter Berlin, Paris, and never leave from there!" - tsikavo, but do the Germans know the French?

We are moving from NWO mode to Holy War mode

All 50 countries are fighting against the Russian Federation and they are Satanists.

Then I thought I'd check Julia Davis to confirm, but found even better:

Their razor sharp grasp of history is something to behold.

• Advertisement

Fascinating and long article (Google translate works very well) on how the German military ended up the disaster it currently is. (an "inspector" is a branch chief, such as Chief of Armor, Chief of Artillery,etc)

De Maizière abolished both staffs. Since then, the Defense Ministry has effectively been incapable of leadership. Germany is likely the only country in the world with a military that isn’t led by a general staff or a comparable military body. Should a crisis arise, officials would first have to call around to determine who was going to take charge.

The inspectors were ousted from the ministry and shunted off to the commands of the individual branches of the armed forces. And even there, they no longer have much of a say – not even over the use of their unit’s equipment. That responsibility lies with the Bundeswehr's procurement authority in the city of Koblenz. When the chancellor decides to contribute a Patriot anti-aircraft battery to Ukraine, the air force inspector is lucky if he doesn't find out about it from the newspapers. He and his counterparts in other branches of the military are anyway rarely asked for their advice, unless they thrust themselves into the debate.

As one interviewee noted the other day, the fact that the German defense ministry as of a couple days ago doesn't know how many tanks it has available and needs to undertake a survey is in itself a damning indictment of how far the German military has fallen.

It's somewhat obvious what Ukraine needs to achieve all the same. Cripple orc held Crimea by knocking the bridge and at minimum bringing the land links under artillery/HIMARS range. They also need to get to the Sea of Azov coast and cut the rostov to Crimea land bridge, where they do that is a question but it needs to be done.

So they will allow Poland to send their Leopards to Ukraine,

No mention of their own or other countries,in saying that they are probably still looking for their own tanks (Germany)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Guess the ball is in Poland's court. Apply for an export permit and see.

Unless it's all just to pressure Germany to deliver tanks from their own stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Over to you Poland.

This is thin ice and a worrying time. Much propaganda will be milked out of any arrival of Leopards by the Kremlin. Poland borders Russia, and is part of common EU defense. So even us Irish are implicated in this situation.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Zelensky stated (https://hromadske.ua/posts/vijskove-kerivnictvo-otrimalo-zavdannya-stvoriti-rezervi-shob-zahisniki-mali-zmogu-vidnovlyuvati-sili-zelenskij) that the military leadership was tasked with creating personnel reserves, so that the defenders could recover their strength after hostilities.

He emphasized that he could not reveal the details of the mobilization processes, but the Staff of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief made the relevant decisions, and the commanders are working on their implementation in their areas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Germany is making a virtue of the fact that Poland have told them "we are sending them either way".

It's also an attempt to limit Poland from leading a group of neighborhood countries who are determined to limit Russia's war effort.

Poland should ignore it and proceed as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

At the battle of Nicopolis the European allies were all lined up and ready to defeat the Ottomans.

There was some infighting and squabbling among the allies though. The adaptation of a careful strategy by the leadership led to internal accusations of cowardice, and various jealousies and discussions of plots and corruption, by the younger more hawkish French knights.

The French knights threw off the cowardly command, so as to deny these corrupt elites the ability to formulate these self-serving plots. No more foot dragging.

They took command by themselves, ignored procedure and charged on in. No more Scholzing!! they cried, (iirc).

And it all went to shyte. And the Sultan went on to rule over much of the Balkans for quite some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsTKus_7DaE

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Germany finally feeling the pressure and backing down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement