Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patient attacked and killed in Cork hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's a horrible job working in a hospital. Unsociable hours and there's always the threat of assault. Most nurses I know have been assaulted more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Most security staff are on a minimum wage I can only assume & you're expecting them to have knowledge of

medical & psychitric situations & all the rest! Would you ever get real!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Notwithstanding this case, the biggest danger to patients in a healthcare setting are healthcare workers either through ineptitude, having an unsuitable temperament for the job, fatigue etc.

There are reasons (not just infection control) why healthcare workers don't want relatives hanging around in wards - because then said relatives would witness incompetence and neglect, as I have on several occasions in our public hospitals.

Elderly people on their own in overcrowded hospitals are particularly vulnerable as they often are a) quiet and/or not able to advocate for themselves b) have non specific symptoms resulting in them being "left" or dismissed as just another old person with dementia, clogging up the ward.

The media report says that the victim in this case was "discovered" with critical injuries and that other people witnessed the "aftermath" - I wonder how long he had his injuries before he was discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Poor man’s wife died earlier this month. Very hard for the family. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Where I live there is one policeman stationed in major hospitals. Makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the only measure I can think would help would be if a person who was known to have a psychological deficiency was to an extent a danger to other patients, families visiting and staff…. That for their duration of their stay in hospital that a security guard was to be stationed near the ward. A deterrent and an active presence to stop / diffuse any potentially violent or actual violent situations.

if on a single occasion the patient was to verbally threaten or physically attack another patient, staff member or visitor…. The end…. Bye… they might be there to receive X life saving treatment but upon…threatening people or attacking them, they should be persona non grata in the public healthcare system… told to get their shît and leave…

their GP gets a copy of the report…

22/01.. your patient K. Smith physically attacked a patient/staff member… as a consequence they will going forward not be of the ability to receive treatment / attend consultations or visit family members in publicly owned / run healthcare facilities.

they’ll be on the ‘list’ in A&E so if they present again ? No, sorry.. the health and welfare of patients and staff trumps the risk of having Mr Smith admitted…

What you are suggesting isn't practical, nor legal.

Imagine an old person with dementia hits someone in a hospital. They may not even realise they hit someone. Should they be denied medical treatment for the rest of their days. Same for someone with mental health issues.

I work for the HSE and regularly upload incident forms where someone with dementia in a nursing home assaults a staff member. Do we throw them out on the road following an assault? I think not.

The problem with people with mental health issues is the unpredictability so it's very difficult to know if someone with mental health problems is likely to attack someone and to therefore have a security guard present.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I seen a situation where a teen was threatening to self harm was put on suicide watch for a better word in an a&e and spent the night having nurses,docs and security staff chase them running from door to door while laughing the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

All I wanted to say. Absolute the stuff a nightmares. How to his that poor man didn’t suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why would it not be legal ?

if you threaten a person in any situation, you relinquish certain rights….

a person with dementia bad enough to the point they are assaulting people, will have been diagnosed a long time ago and will have suitable care / assistance planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,919 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hospital design is the fundamental problem: having people who are sick in beds with multiple people to a room and nothing securing access between them except a curtain in absolutely barbaric.

Should be strictly single roomS, with only approved people able to access. Just like homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No, not like homes. Like jail cells. That's what you are proposing.

We are hardly able to manage as things are so it's pie in the sky to think we'd be able to have secure, single rooms for every single patient.

Considering how many people are treated in our hospitals every year, this is the first death I can remember so, while it is absolutely tragic, there's no need to go overboard and redesign every single hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I was visiting a relative in a Dublin general hospital regularly, late last year.

In the space of two weeks, she was moved three times to different wards on different floors, all of which had issues with 'difficult' patients.

On one ward/floor, we were warned about two unrelated patients, in different wards that tended 'to go at each other'. There were several occasions when I visited where the ward doors were suddenly closed (with patients and visitors inside) while the staff dealt with the two difficult patients because they had met each other on the corridor. My relative spoke of frequently hearing shouting and crashing sounds at all hours of the day and night.

It was not a safe environment and I was glad when my relative was eventually discharged - she insisted on being discharged early, because of lack of sleep and the anxiety caused by other patient behaviour. I don't think there are enough staff, nurses and security to protect everyone from some of the people that you might encounter in hospital these days.

I don't know how the medical staff cope and my heart goes out to the family of the victim in Cork today. It seems that every aspect of the health service is totally screwed up, including the absolute basic right to be safe while in care.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,911 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The poor man , it's unbelievable really. No one would ever possibly think something like this would happen. You'd feel for his family, thinking he was safe in bed in the hospital, getting the care he needed .

Hopefully the other patients in the ward , if he was in a general six bed ward , get the support and help needed to cope with what they possibly may have witnessed.

Post edited by Mam of 4 on

Absolutely horrendous incident and there are really no words. Something like that shouldn’t happen. The poor man. Just don’t know what to say.

Security in hospitals isn’t good enough. I’m sure most of us have horror stories from nights in A&Es and people kicking off. There’s no question about that. Can’t blame individual staff, but the system is dysfunctional and badly designed.

It’s also totally unreasonable to expect nurses, doctors and other medics to deal with heavy security issues. They’ve enough to be getting on with and don’t even have the skills or equipment required to deal with such issues.

I’d like to see a review of Irish hospitals’ security in general - not one that blames people, but one that actually looks to ensure systems work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Photobox

A family member of mine was in a Dublin hospital recently sharing a room with two patients with substance issues. One of them kept asking people over and over for a light, somehow they got hold of a light, this was a room with most people on oxygen. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Am I imagining it or did something similar happen within the past year? I seem to recall hearing something very similar but I may be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

I was in A&E with a relative one Saturday night and it was like a war zone. Drunks coming in with smashed up faces demanding to skip the queue and to be seen first. The really loud ones got to skip the queue and were seen straight away. Can’t blame the staff when they are being threatened and probably would get assaulted if they didn’t comply.

• Advertisement

A&E here is just a scary experience. I think we all have been there ! Roaring drunks, druggies, etc etc you spend a long evening desperately trying to ignore the mayhem going on in front of you.

I’m not sure if that’s something you see elsewhere, or if there is just a very extreme substance abuse problem in a lot of Irish cities, but it would put you off going to hospital .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

Is there an argument to ber made that those who are off their heads on substances including alcohol are not treated until others are dealt with?

Should there be a form of drunk/drug tank? I mean, it is not really what medical professionals spent years in training to do.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SchizoSound

There was a teenage girl with life threatening injuries who was sexually assaulted in the intensive care unit of the same hospital not too long ago, I believe the perpetrator received a suspended sentence, only reason it sticks in my mind is because of the lenient sentencing given the heinous and predatory nature of the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Problem is if they come in with their faces in bits they would have to be treated as they have a head injury. Other issue is they get a free pass abusing and assaulting the staff, as well as sometimes being allowed to skip he queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭RickBlaine

I had to visit A&E on two separate weekend nights over the last view months. There can definitely be an air of hostility there if the wrong person comes in, especially if he is in an agitated state because he is under the influence of something. Plenty of abuse gets hurled at the triage nurses too. I don't know if this attack happened in A&E but it doesn't really surprise me unfortunately based on what I've seen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Agreed. There's more security in a Centra than there is in a hospital, especially A&E.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Horrible story.

But can't say I am entirely surprised...I spent some time not so long ago in James hospital...it was rough...seriously rough.

I was glad oddly when a guy from a prison came into the ward.....he was guarded 24/7 so at least some gardai on the ward...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted

Please pay attention to this instruction:

No Speculation

• I think I made what I mean quite clear, I am asserting they should be properly trained & properly paid, a grade above traditional security roles. That is if we want to live in a civilised country where we can feel safe in A&E. But if we think the status who is fine for you, me, our elderly relatives then we can all carry on and expect more of what happened and suck it up. Violence is increasing in society and drug fuelled individuals end up in A&E.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement