Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

One thing I love about this show is the platform it gives to musicians. I don’t love it all but it is all new to me and that’s good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Some ego on O'Neill, must be verging on a narcissistic personality disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I think RTE should consider giving Emer O Neill a show where Irish musicians and artists of color are given a platform to perform and educate “Middle Ireland” on the black experience here. It’s time to break away from the homogeny.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Can you give us an example of any other television network or country where this happens?

What difference would that make? Are you against RTE innovating or something ?

• Advertisement

So in other words you can't provide one. There is one BET ( Black entertainment television) in the US. I haven't seen too many too many white people on that network!

We are all the same why do you want to separate musicians based on the color of there skin? Seems a bit racist to me.

Rosenstock and Callan aren’t talented. Being an impressionist is the lowest rung of showbusiness, where all they have to do is learn the skill of sounding like someone else. This is all Callan and Rosenstock have done for over twenty years.

Impressionists are good for a chuckle when they do their trick but half an hour after watching their act anyone would struggle to remember a single funny thing any of them have said.

Callan is particularly hideous because his shows are infected with the catty mean-spiritedness he confuses for “satire.” You’d see more talent at a village St Patrick’s Day parade.

So in other words you can't provide one

Right because, as far as I am aware, none exist. So what?

Perhaps RTE can actually be innovative instead of being stuck in the mire of relying on the same old stale, pale, and male faces they’ve had on the air for 60 years.

This topic is outside of the scope of this chat so I’ll leave it at that. You can continue resenting Irish people of color for asking for a place in the sun.

It really is at the very bottom rung of the entertainment ladder. Imagine actually paying money to go see an impressionist do “funny voices”. Madness.

As you say, at least Rosenstock appears to be a nice sort of fella.

Rosenstock seems to be alright, though I wouldn’t be keen on his grandfather. His impressions are terrible though, so are Callen’s. They can’t even do their little trick right.

• Advertisement

You use the word innovative i use the word no progressive.

Can you point out where i posted that i resent Irish people of color? You want to separate based on skin color i want to integrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That lowest rung on the show business ladder is bent and worn out with all the hopefuls holding on for dear life.

People get out there and strut their stuff, sing their song or whatever.

They won't all make it big but that's life.

Give them a break and if you have a steady job yourself be grateful.

So no response to my argument instead you focus on a typo.

Interesting.

• A fair few people verging on narcissism in the entertainment industry. Narcissists seek to create a bit of noise around themselves and the more public the platform the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

You are right, deciding who should or shouldn't be on a show should be decided on by outward characteristics like colour.

And that is also the only way we should count diversity, we wouldn't need a program on say Eastern European experience, despite the large numbers here.

100 percent behind this idea, and look forward to the viewing figures

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think that is what bould Emer is angling for, a diversity program where women can pontificate and whine about stuff. 'How does that make you feeeeel?' Etc Etc.

Tommy does his own version of it in his own way at times. i remember his line to Nathan Carter - 'I am getting a sense of sadness of ya?' And he followed it up with 'Are you happy?'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Rosenstock is an impressionist with poor writing, Callan is a satirist that does impressions.

There's a difference and it's why Callan is more successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Qwest TV, station run by Quincy Jones, the channel has shown some amazing reggae and hip hop festival sets, blues and soul too as well as some cool electronica to boot.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

White is a colour, would white musicians be allowed or would she discriminate against people of little colour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is Callan more successful than Rosenstock? Mario has been around for a lot longer.

I don’t buy that satirist not an impressionist bit, at all. They are both impressionists and both are better on radio than on television. That’s where most impressionists fall down, especially the Facebook/Instagram ones slapping on swim hats or gurning to do De Niro.

There’s nothing wrong with enjoying impressionists but when you try to differentiate between two, when there is no real difference, it comes across like the grownups buying the Harry Potter books with the plain covers so as not to be seen reading a children’s book or the lads who call long comic books “graphic novels”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The writing is the difference. Rosenstock is no where near the level Callan is at nor never was. And Callan isn't perfect either and can be hit or miss.

Fine Gael Spokesperson on Arts, Culture & Media, Ciaran Cannon:

Tweet since deleted but dug a deeper hole when apologising with another dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

You have to laugh at the freenow thing.

The headline was "Freenow end sponsorship over racism allegations" and then the article goes on to say they're ending it because of the comments about taxi drivers. haha. So it's not over racism, it's because it was a joke about taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

Very interesting first guest. That first 20 minutes flew by. Skipped Rosenstock - interviews with the RTE lifers just aren't what I watch the TTS for. Dabiri was alright, but it seems like at least once a series in latter series of the show, we get a guest whose thing is talking about their experience of being black in Ireland. It's a worthwhile subject, but I don't know how many more angles you can come at it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

From my observations, it seems that the people that have a problem with Oliver Callan tend to wear a shirt of a certain hue.

I like the lad and I think his satire is very cutting and funny. Gets it right more often than not.

They're a bit like the girl who walked out of his show...no bother when other politicians are getting it but when it's their own...outrage.

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

We are where we are with Callan and Rosenstock.

There's for and against both but for now they are the incumbents and doing ok.

If they weren't getting up some noses then we could start to worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

It is worth considering how poorly crafted Tommy’s “joke” is. It has the traditional three part structure but it is completely humourless from start to finish.

The first part has him in the Zoo looking at penguins and telling us they look like nuns. Wow! that never occurred to us, Tommy! Still, it sets up a joke about religion, right? Wrong.

He then goes to the wolf enclosure and says the wolves are like the Irish because they’re fierce. Well, OK Tommy, if you say so. (Interestingly, a wolf enclosure has recently opened in Dublin Zoo - a real comedian might have used that as an intro, but not Tommy).

But here comes the payoff - the third part punchline. He goes to the Savannah area and says the animals are all taxi drivers! Oh no, that would be just nonsense. None of those animals resemble taxi drivers in any way (do taxis have zebra stripes? Do giraffes pick up passengers). So Tommy says “African Savannah” and now it’s supposed to be funny. Not because any African animal in the Zoo resembles a taxi driver. No, he said “African” only because he thinks we will be amused to imagine all Africans in Ireland drive taxis.

So yes, this is racist. And it is a crime, a crime against comedy. No wonder his daughter warned him against it. Not only is he blind to the racism, he is deaf to comedy. Did Tommy ever have a good joke, the kind of joke that a professional comedian might tell?

Incidentally, Roy Keane gave Tommy a masterclass in deadpan comedy in their recent interview (about his first date with his future wife). Wasting his breath on Tommy but there is a career in comedy for Roy if he is sick of the oil money in football

Advertisement