Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pork Scratchings (Rinds) - where to buy in Dublin?

• 19-01-2023 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

As per the thread title, does anyone know where the aforementioned can be bought in Dublin?

Trying to stay away from the tasty Tayto.

They used the sell them in Dealz, think they've been discontinued from there.

Anyone see them, anywhere?

Thanks,

Dutch.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I saw them last week in the special buys section of Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

They have them in Tesco…..however not the ‘real’ Mr Porky ones, more the frothy Quaver types.

And they are way too dear €3.50 for a small bag.

Not sure if all Tesco shops have them…..

Don’t know why that posted twice

Yeah, the Tesco ones are 'pork crunch', as opposed to proper scratchings, think they're made in Skibberreen. Dealz used to sell them but haven't been near one in a while. Mr Price sell the Mr Porky ones sometimes, if there's a branch near you.

You can get them on Amazon but the postage can be expensive......works out around €2 per packet for the smallish size packs. I've made my own before, but it's messy.

Yes Skibereen they are the lads, way too dear unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Dutchy

Thanks - did see the ones made in Skib but far too many ingredients for my liking. Will stick to the tasty tayto if that's the only alternative. Will stick my head into Aldi to see if they're still there. Bar that, I may have uncovered a gap in the market - this time next year, Rodney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

I too was looking and looking for these

Did get a few packs when up the North, think the same brand as Dealz had, like a butcher on the front

Skibereen ones are a joke, nothing in them, one pack I got was more powder/flavouring than scratching and when i left a bad reivew they started mouthing at me

i managed to get pork skin off the butchers in work an was OK, took forever and not worth it in the end

Definitely a gap in the market for ones like Mr Porky .

A small bit of me hopes nobody finds it as a lad could be found stretched out with the ‘box room’ full of empty Mr Porky packets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

From looking at the Skibbereen folks online, it seems they do a "pork crunch" snack product and, "scratch my pork", which is, I believe just pork scratchings.

I think I tasted the, Scratch my Pork at a trade event and if I recall correctly, it's pretty much straight up pork scratchings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Yeah, the scratch my pork is scratchings. Good but pricey. The crunch is more like a drier chiccarón.

Iceland often has the Mr Porky ones. Ditto for Homesavers.

It seems strange there isn't a bigger market for them here, given how well they go with a cider (which we are only marvellous at making)

• Advertisement

Like craft beer the price is the main problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Tried one or two of their flavours. They're ok, but nothing special. There is also f*ck all in the bag.

I was pretty disappointed.

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

Not good value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

Supervalue sell them (Can't recall the brand), just remember seeing them. Not sure if it is nationwide.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Saw the scratch my pork ones in Tesco. €3.50 for 30g !!

That's over €116 per kilo!

You’d buy a pig for that!!

You would, quite literally, buy a whole, butchered free range pig for the price of 1 Kg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Say I wanted to do that, where would I go about it?

Not sure. We used to buy a periodic pig from a farm in Cork, but I believe they stopped selling them direct.

There's a lot of meat on a whole pig. We used to divide it between 4, and it was still a lot. It became difficult to find people who wanted a quarter of a pig. I could be misremembering the price but I think it was something like above.

Now I just buy free range pork from my favourite butcher.

Advertisement