Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

That wasn’t my question.

You assured us that

QUOTE “ it is literally impossible to enter the country without going through immigration control and interacting with either the Garda National Immigration Bureau or the Border Management Unit.” QUOTE

Have you ever been to Northern Ireland?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You know full well I am talking about the routes into the country from the EU and GB - hence me mentioning that we are outside the Schengen Area. It's common knowledge that there are no border checkpoints between the ROI and NI, that is a total red herring and has nothing to do with the refugee or asylum seeker issue.

Can you provide a link to your claim that asylum seekers don’t enter the country through Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sallywag37

There have in their hole. Working class Dublin has been a dumping ground for fakeugees for thirty years. We're now heaving and drowning with them and their children, and middle class Dublin is not getting off lightly either as you can see from the savage scumbaggery outlined in the article below.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/gang-thug-threatens-cut-baby-15380313

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Who said stopping immigrants coming will make the issues go away, nobody did only you.

Who is the common person, did we have some vote on the matter, the common persons I know are getting fed up and starting to see right through the issues this is causing.

Everyone here bar a few people can see right through the dishonestly of your post.

Does adding more people to the country put more strain on services.

A simple yes or no will do, but I don't expect an answer because the answer is yes even as much as you don't want to say it.

You have the audacity to accuse others of talking bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pauly58

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/22/anti-immigration-protesters-march-dublin-ireland-refugees unlike our own press that is following the Government line, an English daily tells it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,275 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So whereas 20 years ago, we could get a GP appointment in a couple of days - now it's more like a month. Whereas our children are being priced out of both rental & purchase markets and obliged to come back and live at home. Meanwhile Varadkar and NGOs talk of our legal obligations to international asylum seekers and the need to block book rentals and build housing to meet these obligations.

I suggest Faugheen this government is going to get one hell of a boot up the hole come next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Regarding the view that the Government will get "a boot up the hole" in the next election, I'd like to know what the Opposition will offer. Anyone know?

Have Ukrainian immigrants higher employment rates than native Irish people?

Maybe you could share your stats on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

nose in the trough ffs. so they're pigs are they for fleeing a warzone when children are being killed brutally and mass graves are being found and you may be hit by a rocket in your apartment building while sleeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Does adding more people to the country put more strain on services.

A simple yes or no will do, but I don't expect an answer because the answer is yes even as much as you don't want to say it.

No, not necessarily.

It's a deeply stupid question. Many will be doctors or nurses. Some will be tradesmen and builders. And a very large number of the immigrant population works in tech or pharma, and their large wages and taxes go a long way to funding our public services.

If we were to shut off immigration, things would get very much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why would I do that? it's seems to be your claim. 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

More of the same. The only positive I see is that it will get rid of them as a political solution in the future, which should, in theory at least, make space for a genuine opposition party.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Many will be doctors or nurses

This talking point has been shown to be nonsense over and over again, so much so that most people don't even use this argument anymore. Many won't be, but a few might be.

Even if they were all doctors and nurses, why in the world would they be here, and not in Ukraine helping their own?

If you're even speaking of immigration in general, those people would not be asylum seekers, so they aren't really relevant to this thread.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Its a deeply stupid response.

More people equals more strain on resources.

Your fantasy about doctors and nurses coming here has nothing to do with my point.

I have no idea why your responded to me about shutting off immigration, I am fully in favor of controlled immigration.

I am not in favour of shoving thousands of men into hotels and old building and especially when a lot of them turn up with no documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

make space for a genuine opposition party

Who would that be?

I know, I know, all the racist nonsense without the God bothering nonsense.

But again who would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

All the men in Ballymun and East Wall with nothing to do sure look like doctors to me anyway. The HSE is saved

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

If any of them were actually Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers they wouldn't need to come here to Europe illegally. They should have no problems getting jobs and being able to come here legally. The fact that they're coming here illegally shows that they're not who they claim to be and not as qualified as they claim to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If you're asking specifically about SF policy on immigrants/refugees, the answer is more of the same only more so.

• Advertisement

I can't believe this stuff, even though I've no reason to be shocked

And when exactly did we get a Minster of Integration? I'd love to know exactly what they do day to day, and how they actually help integration. At a glance it looks like another useless state role that we're all forced to pay for.

Another thing worth mentioning, is that I don't think it's by chance that Green Party types keep ending up in these roles. Are Leo and the boys looking for a way to lay blame elsewhere if it comes down to it?

Legal immigration I have no issue with as I think the vast majority of people agree.

Illegal on the other hand is another issue. If I have a profession or trade I am not going to lose my papers on arrival.

I might though if I had a past I wanted no one to know about.

Let's be honest here. None of the Albanians or Georgians coming here are medics. Ukrainians maybe some. But not many.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

I'd say medics from Ukraine are infinitely more needed on the front line caring for wounded soldiers battling the Russians.

And so they want to stay? So that's the goal posts moving then as refugees theoretically have to go home when the war is over. Of course in practice they won't be going anywhere.

They will be said to have "put down roots" and can't be returned. That is the same thing for the "international protection" folk. They wait so long for a decision that they have grounds that they put down roots. We know that the return rate for those even with a deportation order are incredibly low.

And Sinn Fein would only be softer and grant even more asylum to even more people. So no solution exists but the IFP and NP who will not win.

It's all just so depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah yes the typical shyte of lumping honest qualified visa seeking applicants with chancers that turn up with or often without identifying documentation claiming they can't go home because

a) there is a war,

b) someone might attack them

c) no one likes them at home

and the latest valid excuse thanks to the Greens

d) it might get very wet or very dry at home.

Very very few have complained about proper immigration and you and the other proponents of the sh**show now taking place damn well know it.

I am not allowed discuss …

Agreed. When the time to 'go home' arrives it will be all about little Olga settled in school here and sure little Sergey was born here so he is a citizen and so on..

And to be honest we are such a stupid soft touch of a country absolutely no one will be booted out.

I agree it is very depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

For an example of a "Boot up the hole" people should look at the 2020 Galway West general election. There was a plan to put a direct provion centre in sean kynes heartland of Oughterard. Sean had to toe the FG party line and back the centre. When it came to election he was eliminated and he has recently said it was because of his stance against the wishes of the locality.

Before the same election one of the countries worst politicians Noel Greailish raised in the dail the issues of Nigerians sending 3.5billion back home and stated we should look after the Irish first before looking after the world.He romped home in the election .

When it comes to election time people remember!

I think it's a mix of acting like state PR, and the usual Irish stuff; blindly following whatever is trendy in the name of approval from their peers. It's like they spend their days watching everything the BBC does, then copying them exactly. Have you ever seen them break an international story? Or even be one of the first outlets to publish a story that's not Irish-centric? I doubt it, because they are followers, who wait to see what the rest of them are doing first, then copy and paste. It's a very lazy and safe approach, which certainly doesn't align with any claims of independence or impartiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The same article had interviews with people who say they have every intention of returning to Ukraine and with one woman who has already returned home permanently.

Your "nose in the trough" comment would suggest you believe Ukrainian people are unwelcome (which won't come as a surprise.....no way are the East Wall / Ballymun protester guys happy with any Ukrainians coming here, even if they daren't say it in public).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Noel Grealish won't be dictating any alternative government's policy on immigrants & refugees though, which is what Spanish Eyes was asking specifically about.

Advertisement