Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

His comedy is awful now. Often just rambles incoherent words, shouts random words and also stands in silence, pulls some kind of a face that makes the audience laugh at for some reason. Of course he has to have some story where he impersonates a traveller.

He's like a man whose well has run dry. He probably doesn't get out and about as much as he did to inspire his stand up anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I skipped the first guest Ann Marie. Her synopsis of herself was enough to make me reach for the fast forward.

Mario was surprisingly interesting. Like you I was going to skip him. But Tommy knocked good talk out him. Got to understand the process he does when creating characters.

The sociologist/historian Emma had some interesting viewpoints. But she seemed very wrapped up in it. Would talk for Ireland.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭DBK1

Callan wouldn’t be fit to carry drinks to Rosenstock.

Both of their current material is very poor, let’s face it, it’s an outdated form of comedy now anyway. But at least Rosenstock sounds like the people he’s trying to impersonate, Callan has about 3 voices he can pull off, his Michael D being the best of them, the rest he is very poor at.

Peak Rosenstock, 20 plus years ago, he had good material and could excellently pull off 90% of the voices he tried. You would laugh out loud listening to him numerous times a week and you never knew what he’d come out with. We’re currently in peak Callan now (or maybe already past it) and he has yet to come anywhere close to anything Rosenstock could do. Maybe it’s his writers that are to blame but surely Callan has some input to the writing, or should have figured out by now to hire better writers, so he has to take some of the responsibility.

The satirist v impressionist statement is rubbish too, look at Callans Twitter, the first word he used to describe himself is impressionist. If Callan had been around in the early 2000’s he’d never have got a look in as Rosenstock would have wiped the floor with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Deregos.

A lot of Rosenstock's characters sound the same too.

Callan can be funny when he has a personal gripe which is ray darcy and ballymaloo 😂. So 2 things 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Rosenstock just sounds like himself a lot of the time now, he must have video footage of a top today fm executive doing a Vito on a security guard to still be in employment with them

Seems like a nice enough chap but he's just not funny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

When Rosenstock comes up with a song, he regularly strikes gold. Some of the more recent FOG stuff (O'Gara, O'Connell and Quinlan in a band) are brilliant, while he had other classics through the years too (Dry your eyes Becks, If I was a Roy, any Jose number). My personal favourite was 'I Think I Better Leave Right Now' when Keane left United (still know the words off by heart).

Callan has never made me chuckle to that extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yes, that's true. I don't see or hear him that much and I also think that he sounds very much like himself these days when I do come across him on tv or radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

The controversy is not going to go away, I can see Tommy having to go and do some sort of cultural awareness course and deep spiritual ould bullshite to prove he’s sorry and re edumacated now. Maybe that’ll be his next docco. Tommy Tiernan in Tears. A journey of wokeism for a modhurn Ireland.

I will admit to not hearing his more modern songs as I’d only hear him a handful of times a year now but the older songs you named are going back to his heyday when he was top class. Bertie, Jose, Wenger, Roy Keane, Mick McCarthy etc. He had good materiel, good impressions and the songs were excellent.

Callan just never has been, and never will be, in that league.

• Advertisement

I think his downfall started when Ian became a lot more involved in the sketches with speaking roles! It always sounded like a school talent show when Ian would be saying his lines and acting surprised or whatever he was supposed to be and you could see it coming a mile away. It was like he was reading it from the script and it really took from the sketches.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You guys must live in a parrelell universe. Never even heard Rosenstock signing that I am aware of and I have either a radio or television playing irish content on all day every day. Obviously he is minor league in terms of exposure/success to Callan.

That you like him more than Callan is a subjective thing and you are entitled to that, no argument. Who is the more successful is an objective fact though.

If you’ve never heard Rosenstock singing then you’ve obviously never listened to Rosenstock when he was in his prime. The songs were a regular feature back then. That may somehow explain how you strangely think Callan would be ahead of him.

Rosenstock also would have had far more exposure in his career than Callan. He’s 25 odd years on breakfast radio, had his own tv show for a number of years, and must have his own chair in the green room of the late late show at this stage.

I’d advise you to actually listen to some of Rosenstock in his prime, the content will obviously be outdated as it’s heading for 20 years old at this stage, but it will still be streets ahead of anything Callan had ever done.

Rosenstock was also doing it all long before Twitter, Instagram etc. which would make what he achieved far harder as he wouldn’t have had the added exposure that social media brings.

You’re right, who is more successful is an objective fact, and it’s Rosenstock by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Callan's Kicks is 50 years late, and devoid of originality A poor man's Frank Hall.

There's the problem in a nutshell/sentence.

He’s 25 odd years on breakfast radio,

He's clearly a legend on that radio station, if you don't happen to listen to it, you miss him.

Callan has many years under his belt doing successful live shows - radio shows and television. Has successfully done magazine radio host too.

That’s why I originally stated it’s an outdated form of comedy and Rosenstock is passed it now, he’s been doing it for 25 years and it’s gone stale. That’s also the problem with Callan, he’s trying to do what was extremely successful 20 plus years ago but he’s nowhere near as good as the man that made it successful.

That’s it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Callan does political satire which divides opinion based on ones own politics whereas Rosenstock does silly songs and impressions of sports stars etc.

Comedy/satire has died out? Who knew.

I hear this all the time..'such and such is no Frank Hall', i.e. tedious nonsense that ignores the fact that Hall was also hit and miss and wasn't original...satiure having existed for a long time before him. Scrap Saturday was too, it's the nature of the format. Don't like this skit, there'll be another along in a moment etc etc.

Rosenstock didn't invent the satirical ditty so he wasn't 'original' either. Maureen Potter and the vaudivilles of the Dublin scene were at it long before he was.

I assume you know that Callan started out on his comedy career by working with Rosenstock? He was a voice in some of Rosenstock’s sketches when he was working as a newsreader in Today fm, back about 15 or so years ago? He basically then moved on to try and mimic what Rosenstock had done as he saw the success of it.

Comedy and satire will never die out (I hope!) but it evolves, Rosenstock is probably too long in the tooth to evolve now and isn’t bothered, Callan should have taken over from him with something new instead of trying to rehash the same.

Anyway it seems we’re only going round in circles and this is the Tommy Tiernan show thread and we’ve majorly derailed that so I’m going to leave it at that. I’ll agree to disagree with you if you like!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nah I will raise you one. You know that fella John Creedon? Wandering around Ireland etc. Tommy could do a version of that going around comedy clubs in Nigeria, for example.

Talk to the comedians about the type of comedy they do and the type of comedy that is now viewed as off limits. Has comedy in Nigeria changed like the way comedy in the UK/Ireland has had to change? Because of social media and the 21st century world? Tommy finds out in a new 8 part series exclusive to RTE.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Tommy's playing a blinder if you ask me. Saying nothing publicly, knowing this will die down when somebody gets their 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I know a few people in RTE and that's not what's going on.

Significant advertisinv funding has been lost over this. This is only starting I believe.

I have heard rumours too that this company was looking a way out of it's sponsorship deal. The idea that they didn't know that Tiernan was already a controversial comedian is rubbish, they knew what they were backing/associating their brand with.

I would imagine RTE will keep these figures in mind. Tiernan is big business for them.

The Late Late Show (695,000),

The Tommy Tiernan Show (546,000)

Arguing over who is the better impressionist is like arguing over who is the better Chris De Burgh tribute act.

That said, Rosenstock at least tried to write his own material. Callen has a team of writers firing out that dirge every week. They are to a comedy writing team what San Marino are to international football.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Like him or not, Jimmy Carr has perfected the shock joke pretty well- people laugh then feel embarrassed for laughing- and the joke is then on them essentially - Carr is clever with a lot of his jokes - and even if you don’t like him, his jokes have proper punchlines

there wasn’t anything remotely funny or bordering on comedy in Tommy’s savannah “joke” - the fact that it was a rehearsed joke makes it even worse - he actually thought this was clever and funny.

You don’t see too many comedians still on stage 25+ years after they first started- they tend to branch out to other things and just do the occasional gig- simply because being funny for 25 years takes a hell of a lot of work and very few can do that.

I’ve seen Tommy gigs on TV as recently as this Christmas and switched them off after 5 minutes- I’m just bored - his talk show is great but he’s a very uninteresting and unfunny comedian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Well she does believe in psychics, or mediums as she calls them. She seems to give a lot away about herself, so I could picture a psychic using this to their advantage... telling her things that only she could've known.

Tommy being tactful addressing this with the way he raised how there's a difference between the cultures. Only then does she mention how there are charlatons out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

• Advertisement

You still haven't told us who you think is better in an Irish context.

Advertisement