Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 NFL season - Regular Season Thread - Picks etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Chiefs vs Eagles final.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Loads of people have gotten 100% of a round right in the playoff rounds (not you though), just never in regular season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hope this prediction is up to your usual standard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭collybyrne

4-0 takes me to 182-100

Once again the divisional round delivers the best weekend of football all year. Thought the 9ers would regret going so run heavy against Dallas when they weren't getting any change out of it in the first half. Goes to show what I know, totally paid off for them in the 4th quarter when I thought the Cowboys D-Line looked out on it's feet and they controlled that long clock eating drive.

Another year that promised so much but failed to deliver for the Cowboys. I think Dak is a great QB but I don't know if he's ever going to take them all the way to a Championship at this stage. With each year this happens the psychological baggage picked up is getting harder and harder to shake.

Two incredibly difficult games to call next week. Here's hoping Mahomes is fully fit and raring to go for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

3 - 1 which brings me to 182 - 100 overall

You could tell from the kick-off that the Bengals wanted it more against the Bills who went out with a whimper after showing so much promise this year....

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭al87987

I would argue last week was a lot more fun than this week, bit disappointed by this week, felt like all 4 of the games were over quickly enough.

4 of the 6 games last week went down to the wire

• Registered Users Posts: 36,252 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Cincinnati v 49ers SuperBowl for me.

I don't think KC's defence can stop the Bengals, and while Mahomes is superhuman, Burrow will give him too much work to do. Mahomes deserves another SuperBowl for his genius, but he'll be let down by his D.

the 49ers are a nailed on SuperBowl team bar the QB position - even though Purty has made them better than Jimmy G had them. there's nothing that they don't do well. and Shanahan is the best play caller in the business.

Josh Allen, even though his O-line was poor enough yesterday, continues to show why he's not really *that guy* yet. He has monster potential, and does things nobody else can, but he simply makes too many bad choices in big moments. he needs to iron that out, because he will get left behind by Mahomes and Burrow consistently if he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭cosatron

did you see the eagles at the weekend or at all this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Championship Round

49ers @ Eagles

Bengals @ Chiefs

I don't think they're as good as the 49ers. Their record is ever so slightly misleading I think.

the eagles are warm favourites and in many experts opinion have the best roster in the league. To be honest i think they will run up a big score on the 49ers and Purty won't be able to keep up.

I think they are very evenly matched. As a 49ers fan I'd be very concerned about the eagles pass rush combined with how Purdy has looked while pressured.

Both defenses are top notch. They bookies make Eagles 2.5 point favourites which is really just accounting for home field advantage. Tough one to call.

Whats a big score? Hurts doesn't look like he has any interest in taking a hit while running and I'm not sure his running will be a difference maker in this game.

49ers are the top defense in the league for a reason and I just don't see them shipping a whole lot of points to anyone. I could see this being a 24-20 sort of game with defenses dominating and points hard to come by.

they gave up a ton of points to Mahomes, and Hurts ain't Mahomes.

it'll be close. i just personally think the 49ers are slightly more rounded, and the Philly team are being overblown a smidge.

i could be embarrassingly wrong though, but that's my gut. i honestly have no dog in the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Eagles and Chiefs. Going for a 100% this round.

30 plus points. they put up over 260 yards on the ground against the giants who a week before held cook to 60 yards. i think there oline are the best in the business and its in philly and say you hold them to 130 yards on the ground, they still have smyth and aj brown on the perimeter and the 49ers corners are giving after giving up 100 yards games to Adams, Metcalf and lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I had no expectations for the cowboys to win last night, so I don't think they were as bad as some of the Media wanna make out, but they're never winning anything with McCarthy as Coach, time to throw the bag at Sean Payton. But that'll never happen cause he won't go for pints with Jerry.

I called Bengals/Niners weeks ago and I'm sticking by it, Burrows just seems built better for these situations than Mahomes, and hopefully niners show up the Eagles for the absolute frauds they've been all season.

Sorry but the Giants are an awful defense, 49ers are in a completely different class. They just held Dallas to 12 points who hung 40 on Philly.

Since October they have conceded more than 23 points once. I just don't see them getting torched in terms of points.

• Advertisement

i thought Dak was slow and ponderous in his decision making all night, he telegraphed the first int and got fixated on ceedee lamb and wouldn't spread the ball around. Better qb play and ye would've won that game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yeah, for the most part Giants have pretty poor personnel on both sides of the ball - Daboll and his team did coaching miracles to get them as far as they did.

They're night and day from what the Eagles will be facing with the 49ers. For example, Hurts likes to target short to intermediate and he'll be going from facing one of the worst LB group in the NFL with the Giants to the best with SF.

There is an argument to be made that the Eagles haven't played a good team from outside their division all year so it is hard to gauge them. Sometimes those teams continue to steamroll the opposition even when there is a step up in quality while others get punched in the mouth for first time and don't know what to do and get bullied.

49ers got that punch to the face yesterday and found a way to win despite playing far from their best and Shanahan struggling with what Quinn was scheming. That will stand to them more than if they had another easy game, presuming none of the knocks end up being too serious.

A reason why Dak was slow was due to what the 49ers were doing on defense. Ryans went away from a lot of the tendencies they had in the regular season. They were pressuring him mentally in the secondary while him also knowing their DL was always a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I see someone blaming McCarthy and someone saying the niners defense was the reason for Dak's poor performance.

If the Cowboys had a decent QB last night they'd be playing Philly next week. Dak has been awful most of the season. He threw 13 interceptions in his last nine games including last night. He threw two against the Giants, Texans, Jags and Titans in the none games as well.as last night. In.tjat run.if games he threw 20 TDs to those 13 ints which is horrendous. He was tied for the highest amount of interceptions in the regular season despite missing five games.

So you can't just give kudos to the defense and say what happened last night was all.them. Prescott threw two awful picks, they had nothing to do with the defense. He was a pathetic 23 of 37 for 206 yards. His QB rating was 51.5, slightly worse that Purdy's 53.1. He was only sacked once and the 49ers weren't getting there that often.

The Eagles will give Purdy nightmares with their pass rush. He faced a high level pass rush last night for the first time in his career and he wasn't able for it. He's going up against a better one next next weekend.

Also I seen somebody who talked about who the Eagles faced. How about who the niners faced during that run of wins in the regular season. They faced three teams with winning seasons and three teams who made the playoffs, two as wildcards avd the Bucs with a losing season. Not exactly stellar competition.

The defense had nothing to do with the interceptions I've heard it all now. 🤣🤣🤣

I guess the fact the 49ers have the most ints in the league also "had nothing to do with the defense"

49ers had 18 QB pressures to Dallas 20 pressures but the 49ers "weren't getting there that often" and Dallas had a high level pass rush.

Purdy "Wasn't able for it" despite his efficient performance, hitting some big throws and throwing zero interceptions. Completed 65% of his passes, +.09 EPA, +4.4 CPOE.

If that is falling apart I'll take the same sort of performance again this week.

Everybody focusing on Purdy but this game will be won and lost on how well both teams can run the ball/stop the run.

Maybe you need to watch the highlights again.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/cowboys-vs-49ers-highlights-divisional-round

If you watch from 25 seconds you'll see the first int and then from 1.52 you'll see the second.

When you do that come back to me and tell me how much pressure Prescott was under for those two throws.

Purdy's rating was 87.4 which on regular season numbers would put him just behind Heinicke, Mariota and Brissett.

There were four QB's that had a completion percentage in the 65's over the course of the regular season. They were Cousins, Tanehill, Mac Jones and Goff.

Those numbers are not good when you are averaging 7.4 yards per attempt and that's with two thirty yarders to George Kittle thrown in. If you took those two throws to Kittle out he averaged just over 4.5 yards per attempt for the rest of his completions. That's very poor accuracy on those 17 throws with such low yards per attempt numbers.

I understand you are a niners fan but defending such a poor performance and such a drop in standard compared to what he was doing before then is basically putting the goggles on.

It's the first time he faced a serious pass rush and he didn't look like he could handle it. He's facing an even better pass rush at the weekend.

You're hilarious sometimes. I've watched the game twice. You can't tell me that any INT has nothing to do with what the defense is doing. Coverage is part of defense too, not all pass rush. Bad QB decision good defensive play. Both things can be true.

Your Purdy takes are beyond silly to be fair. He's going against the number 2 defense in the country. He completed 65% of his passes. He threw zero interceptions and most crucially he made big time throws in high leverage situations on third down. Of course if you decide to remove his longest throws his YPA will go down. As I said I'd take that performance again this weekend if he can deliver it.

But obviously 49ers run game going against the Eagles number 24 ranked run defense will be more where SF will be focusing their attention to hopefully reduce the effect of the pass rush in the first place.

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1617739771782266880?t=gPfelqJU2tP10eYJViN0nw&s=19

The two throws were awful and he wasn't being pressured on either throw. That's my point.

Do you disagree with that?

Agree on coverage and I'll add that at times it isn't even just the rush and coverage on a given play, it is about the defense changing what the QB expects and then makes them second guess themselves and having players who can then take advantage of it. That's a big part of the difference between Dak's performance against the Bucs and the 49ers, with the Bucs it looked like Dak had the call of the defense for most snaps. Dak wasn't seeing stuff like the below against the Bucs:

With Purdy, if it was any other poster I'd be surprised by the level of obvious inconsistency of opinion. Normally they champion QB efficiency, game management, protecting the ball, and doing whatever is needed to win even, if it isn't pretty, but not in this case. I don't see anyone claiming Purdy had an amazing game, he did however play well enough to win and once again as a rookie faced a new challenge and passed it. He should learn from the experience and though the Eagles overall probably have a better DL, they don't have a freak like Parsons who likely made the 49ers play more safe. Against the Cowboys the 49ers asked and got what they needed from Purdy, against the Eagles they'll probably need and ask him to do more.

I think SF will have to run the ball effectively to have success against Philly. The eagles have the number one pass defense in the league so SF will have to stick with the running game and hopefully not fall into a multi-score deficit.

• Advertisement

On the 49ers strength of schedule, yes they didn't face a tough one either. I'd argue tougher than anything the Eagles faced were the red hot 8-4 Dolphins prior to Tua going out injured and the Cowboys in the play-offs, who were looking for revenge and likely having analysed every bit of their playoff loss.

Even if there is disagreement there, the strength of schedule discussion also goes back into last season. I can't see one win by the Eagles against a very good team, whereas the vast majority of this same 49ers group came up against and won against the Super Bowl champions Rams twice (narrowly losing the 3rd), the Super Bowl finalist Bengals, and also both the 12 win Cowboys and 13 win Packers on the road in the playoffs.

I fully accept the Eagles have improved a lot more since last year but I can't see any evidence that they are battle tested as a group anywhere close to the 49ers.

Advertisement