Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2021 Assistant Principal in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 nhojegan

Transparency and a portal where we could log in and check would be wonderful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

From DPER's Blended Working Framework:

The Civil Service will demonstrate leadership in moving proactively to this new blended working environment with a view to achieving at least 20% initially, in line with government commitments. The move to blended working also supports commitments in the National Remote Working Strategy, Our Rural Future, the Climate Action Plan and the National Planning Framework

In other words, Blended Working is government policy, is enshrined in several plans/frameworks, etc., and isn't going anywhere soon. Parts of the framework are a trial, still - e.g., how flexi works is down to your employer (assuming you'll be in a grade with flexi - most APs don't have it). But pretty much every civil service department and organisation has blended working to some degree or other, even if it's only 1 day a week (some areas within organisations may not have full access because they're public facing, but that's the exception).

I'm an AP for around a year, in Dublin. Two days in the office, three days WFH. That can vary if needed - e.g., if I've had a cold or Covid but been fine to work, I've worked from home until no longer infectious. Really liking the job. Bit of a learning curve, which you'd expect, but interesting work, a good team, and busy. We're understaffed, and I end up doing more than the 7 hours most days, but that was the case before I got AP, too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 K65KL

Thanks for this, it’s really so helpful 😁

if flexi is not available at AP level what are the standard daily start & finish times ?

Don't laugh, but it's 9:12 (that is not a typo!) to 17:30, (17:15 on a Friday), with a lunch break from 13:00 to 14:15, or something equally ridiculous that adds up 35 hours a week. Blame years of poor union negotiations, or something...

Nobody actually sticks to those hours even if they're the official ones, because they're stupid (like, who needs 1 1/4 hours for lunch, most days?!), and most managers won't care as long as there's cover (for public/customer-facing offices) and the work is done. Staff in my office will generally start early because their public transport gets them in early, take a short lunch, and leave around 16:45; or start later to avoid school traffic and work a bit later in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 seanf88

Hi All,

As of this morning they are now on Number 8 of the Open and Number 2 on the InterD for batch 4.

There are 47 candidates left on Batch 4, I am currently Number 2 on Batch 4.1, so 48 ahead of me.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gadgetman99

I emailed PAS this morning. The current OOM for Batch 4 is:

3 on the interdepartmental stream

10 on the open stream

I am 15 on open, 7 on inter. I'll let you know when I get a mail

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

I'm just ahead of you and received the clearance email this morning

I just got mine

For anybody waiting . You will be asked for a copy of passport or birth cert. Get on that now if you haven't got either ( like me )

• Advertisement

Thanks, do you mind me asking are they making you go through garda vetting again even though you are an existing civil servant? Also wondering if they are asking for any of your college transcripts etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

No they aren't putting existing civil servants through vetting. I haven't been asked for any transcripts but I suppose you could be, depending on what dept you're assigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lucky1974

Apologies if this question has been covered already…. I cannot see that it has .. what is involved in clearance ? How long does the process take ? And until clearance is passed / confirmed are you not offered a position until then - thanks in advance…

Could someone on here email PAS to find out the current OOM please? I did last week's hoping some one else would do it for this week. Thanks

I’ll send the mail Friday morning to get an end of week figure

• Registered Users Posts: 15 vloops

currently on 24 on panel 4 open

My god they are really flying through them now !

• Advertisement

They aren't . If your serving it skips the guarda vetting

So..you will get an email telling you that they have reached your number. They won't tell you which stream or where your possibility going . You have to fill out a form explaining medical issues or anything like that. And send it back signed and scanned with a copy of passport or birthcert. They will get back again and then tell you what stream and where your prov going. You must email back if you accept and then they will send on a request of reference to current employer. If Avery thing ticks the box you will receive the actual offer a short time after. Maybe a week or 2

Thanks for that explanation its really useful. Just wondering also do they make allowances for you to agree a start date between you're own department for release and the new work area or do they just tell you you have to start on X date? I'm thinking in terms of using up my unused flex, finishing off (as much as possible) any projects i'm working on etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Advice anyone?

I was originally oom in the top 500 for 2021 but picked Carlow & Kilkenny. I am now on the 2022 panel and having conceded to the commute, and that I'll probably never going to be able to get a job locally after the 2021 failure, I chose Dublin this year.

I'd obviously much refer Carlow or KK. Is it a pipe dream or has anyone heard of these counties showing up? I literally got my detailed results and heard nothing since 20/09/21 for the 2021 panel.

Are you talking about initial aptitude testing or did you get through every stage in the 2021 competition? If you are curious about what counties have been placed historically at the back pages of the 2022 competition hand book is a link to all appointments made over several competitions from open panels. They are pretty rare tho from memory outside Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Yes the initial 3 test you do online. My counties never came up though, so it never moved to shortlisting based on applications or interview. I suppose that would be next it a job still comes up in these counties for whoever scored highest on oom in the original test?

Yes in theory if they had a place for those counties at the beginning of the competition they would take the top oom people from the Batch they currently selected (some of them would have the county down as a preference in addition to Dublin) go through the stages and based on interview grades would be able to form a panel.

Anyone have any updates for today on the OOM currently? Thanks

It's negotiated/agreed between you and the department you're going to (at least in my experience). They will presumably want you as soon as possible when it suits them (e.g., they probably won't want you if the P.O. in your new place is on leave) but unless they're really desperate they'll be fine with some notice being given to your current employer and you finishing up stuff/handing over, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

Curious (as 2022 AP results stage 1 just issued) for those who are receiving offers now in Dublin, what was your original OOM after Stage 1 in the 2021 comp?

Advertisement