Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭marathon2022

With shoes I reckon gait, cadence, striking all play a part in how they feel at different pace ranges and these are different for everyone. The tempos feel just right at 7.00 to 7.45 per mile for me. This puts them right in the eye of the most sessions right now. The Alphas are slightly faster with 7.30 easy in them which is probably why the marathon distance is my favorite job for them.

I wear Reebok floatride for most of my easy stuff, anything faster than 8.00 per mile is a chore but this shoe is perfect for moseying along at recovery pace.

I have been thinking about investing in another pair of speed 2(retired two pairs before Christmas) for the later part of this Marathon block to get the easy days faster, not sure how smart this is :-)

I also have a relatively new pair of Vaporflys which I take out when I'm tired and need a hug

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I have listened to various discussions where some runners adapt to Vaporfly/Alphafly/<inser super shoe> differently depending on their running style.

I feel there is also a learning period if you are not one of those types of runners. I've a pretty efficient running style, but still feel I have to concentrate to get the benefit from the Vaporfly, rolling through the ground contact and focusing on the toe-off. Alphaflys I just don't like, I find them heavy, sloppy and do nothing special for me.

It's also interesting to see a lot of Nike sponsored athletes race in the VF rather than the AF despite Nike's push.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Can anyone recommended a shoe for over-pronation? I've been using Brooks Adrenaline pretty much since I started running, I've generally found them good but have noticed the last few months I'm getting more regular pain along the inside of the base of my foot.

I'm going to get gait analysis done again as it's been 18 months since I got it before but wouldn't mind knowing about some options before that.

Also, I see so much talk of shoes for long runs, short runs, slow runs etc. In terms of stability shoes is there much variety or is better to stick with a general purpose shoe?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

The Mizuno Wave Inspire are my go to shoe - was recommended these along with the Brooks when I got gait analysis many (many many) years ago. Have had no issues with them since so if it ain't broke don't fix it for me. Use these for all my runs (have about 5 pairs in rotation)

For racing I use Saucony Pro2 which I find great.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Same, Wave Inspire for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Saucony Tempus is a game changer, stability and support, stack height and a quality foam. It leaves all previous stability shoes for dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

2 quick ones on this which are related

Would you reckon these are true to size?

Are they roomie or snug around the forefoot?

Hmm... interesting question as I have been wondering that myself with an eye on buying my next pair. They are good and roomy in the forefoot. So much so that I wondered if I could go down half a size. In the end I have decided I don't need to. The spaciousness up front is only noticeable walking around. I don't notice it when running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I used to live in the Brooks Adrenaline and alternate with the Mizuno Wave Inspire. I switched to the Hoka Arahi and they are my main easy running shoe now and ASICS Gliderides for a little faster work. Very interested to try the Saucony Tempus now though.

You won't regret trying them...a joy to run in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Looking online, the cheapest deal I can find on the Saucony Tempus is €190. I did find them on Alltricks for €140 but when I came to the payment section it said 'We cannot ship an item / items due to restrictions'.

Just wondering if anyone else knows of a website where they might be cheaper than €190 as I would love to try them, currently have Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22.

I am a back to running after 30+yrs though I only did about 2 years of cross country in my teens & have the bug:) Set some targets last year and achieved some of them so new targets are set and hoping new shoes might help!!!

Runnerinn and 365rider have a few sizes but runningxpert seem to have most. All in the 125-130 range.

https://www.runningxpert.com/eu/tempus-20720-25.html

Going to have to schedule delivery for when the wife isn't here. Going to be questions asked soon about all the runners being purchased :)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Hope everyone is doing well and can stick to whatever New Year's resolutions you have.

I got back into running recently after treating myself to a new watch. Unfortunately, however, I picked up a bit of an Achilles injury which I noticed today. The last time I had an Achilles injury. I was running in a pair of Nike Pegasus, I was convinced at the time that those were to blame, so I switched to zero drop minimalist shoes and didn't have a problem until yesterday. I've also tried since last getting injured to up my cadence from around 160 to 170 or more steps per minute and thought it was working, although my calves were sometimes sore during a run, although they were okay, after getting a chance to stretch them out once the run was over and I've tried not to be as lazy and use my foam roller more often.

I think I should see a physical therapist; maybe someone here could recommend one that wouldn't be against running in minimalist shoes or even barefoot.

I should mention one reason I like minimalist shoes and barefoot is I'm trying to live a more environmentally friendly life and minimalist shoes seem like a more environmentally friendly choice (less shoe, less to manufacture lower carbon output), although obviously barefoot is even better.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Started playing football again after a 4 years, obviously I'm getting old so recovery times are increasing. But my groins are specifically fierce sore and take along time to recover.

Reckon I need to strengthen em a tad, any recommendations for body weight style exercises?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

You can start off with easy exercises such as; lying on your back, knees bent and squeezing a football in between your knees; a small resistance band around your ankle secured to something, standing with feet shoulder-width apart and bringing your ankle towards the other; sitting with back straight, hands slightly behind and legs open slightly wider than shoulder-width, start with something like a tin of beans and raise your foot over it and back down the other side, as it becomes easier increase the height of the object you are trying to clear

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

If you are a Strava subscriber then you get access to the Recover app for free, it's ok although I probably wouldn't use it if I had to pay.

Another good app that's free is Fitbod you can tell what equipment you have or just tell it to give you bodyweight exercises I would definitely pay for this ahead of Recover.

Finally probably the best free app for bodyweight workouts and yoga as well as workouts with weights is Nike Training Club.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

Fitbod is great.

I was using Freeletics for a bit, but Fitbod is all you need really.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Just as a fyi I managed to get this for €136 including shipping on RunningXpert.com & they arrived today, took them out for a run on 5km route of local parkrun & beat my best time for 5km, maybe this new technology whatever it is works😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I have speed 3 runners and just recently started wearing them on long runs - I really like them but the get wet for quickly and my socks get wet quickly and I can almost hear blisters growing by the end of the run . Is this just me with these shoes ? Are there any blister stopping socks to wear to counteract the problem ? Don’t mean to turn this into a shoe thread again so it’s more of how to combat wet feet question maybe

Post edited by Bluesquare on

• Advertisement

Anyone have good cushioned Trail runners? I use Nike Junipers now and they feel pretty hard underfoot, no real cushioning on them at all. Im not looking for carbon fibre plates or anything like that, just ones that feel comfy on the feet but are good for running in, its not walking/hiking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I'd imagine that the Nike pegasus trail would have good cushioning as the road version does. Also Adidas terrex boost would be cushioned shoe too.

But as always comfort means different things to different people. And in general trail shoes are a bit more firm that road shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sav1

I use Hoka speed goat and they have quite a bit of cushion.

Speed goat 4 gtx and SG5. The fit is different between both versions I get along with both true to sizs EU44

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Another Hoka Speed Goat user, though I wouldn't use them that often. Plenty of cushion and the grip is fantastic. I tend to use them on the trails or when there is frost/ice on the roads/paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I wear the Nike pegs trail shoes, they're very comfy, just the right amount of cushioning in my opinion. More of a hybrid road to trail shoe though i would say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Agree. I have the Pegasus trail 4. As far as trail shoes go they're nicely cushioned but they're not an idea trail racer. And i also agree they're a hybrid trail/road shoe

Thanks folks. Be technical enough trails so might give the Pegasus a miss so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I got the Hoka Challenger for more cushioning. I had the Saucony Peregrines but if there was any road on my route they didn’t work too well for me. For some reason I didn’t find the Speedgoats comfy but the challengers are great.

Advertisement