Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭niallo76

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭bamayang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

i did the guts of 20 pizza yesterday and it went with out a hitch! A little slow getting going but it’s very easy when you get the hand of it.

I only started last week and feel like a pro already.

I followed the below for making dough including their calculator for the ingredients ratio.

below for the sauce

and the below for the stretching and also use a steering wheel technique after the pounding where you hold the base like a steering wheelbut not touching the crust as you don’t want that to stretch and rotate it allowing the weight of the doin to the stretching.

Can I check one thing. When you leave the dough balls for 5-7 hours, is that covered or uncovered? There’s no mentioning of covering in the video.

I did that today and all went well until this point. The top half of the dough balls hardened and then cracked when I went to stretch them ☹️

• Advertisement

Always covered.

Getting better.

Always covered...,you could also freeze them after you've made you doughballs,but yep,if you looking to make pizza,cover em up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭wandererz

I am considering selling my Koda 16 as i am moving home.

Owned since October 2020. Used about 6 times. Has a weatherproof cover and I will include the PatioGas cylinder as well.

I did use that cylinder with my previous Koda 12. There is still a good amount of gas left. At the very least you will not have to pay the deposit fee for the cylinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I used to use cling film. I just popped them on some baking paper and rested the cling film on top. Make sure to flour them to keep it from sticking too much though.

I've started using a Trofast storage container from Ikea based on a recommendation from someone on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Not sure whether the forum charter allows for buying and selling on here, I really must read it someday. But it might help if you stated where you live and how much you are looking for it.

The Gloomster!

Either or,better still a container with a lid would be ideal.

If freezing after making your doughballs,oil up your cling film a bit before wrapping,it will make it so much easier when you defrosting them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

What temperature is best for cooking in a normal fan oven most people say as hot as it will go.seen other recipes saying 180 for 25 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

it will depend on whether you have a baking stone or steel. If you do and it is preheated then the base will cook quickly so you'll want the top to do the same so as hot as possible. if not and cooking on a thin pizza pan then you'll need lower to allow time for base to cook

Yea it's just a cheapo pizza pan fairly thin steel.seen a few people using a tile they heat up quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Pipmae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Money to burn 😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’m a big fan of the PizzApp myself. I have my method down and pizzas coming out pretty good, but my schedule doesn’t always allow for the exact same start time in my dough. Some days I have time in the mornings, others the afternoons or evenings. I can use the PizzApp to tweak the proofing times as required and let it calculate the rest. The temp in the room will vary too and the app can cover that as well. Would highly recommend it to anyone making their own dough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I got my Karu 16 recently and very happy using it with charcoal and wood combined. I got the gas burner as well but the regulator fitted didn't fit the patio gas cylinder that I bought specially. It seems others received the correct regulator fitted?

I'm considering sending back the gas burner because I don't see myself getting use from it. The charcoal and wood combo work so well. Problem is I bought the new cylinder and took the cap off it to discover it wouldn't fit - I don't know what chance I have of getting a refund on that! €75 down the drain!

A friend is using their gas burner with normal calor gas butane - this would suit me better cause I already have a few in use anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There is a specific regulator for Ireland so Ooni must have sent you the wrong one. iirc the Irish regulator is rated to 37mbar, when you bought it there should have been a list of countries to choose from so you could select the correct one for where you live but they must have still sent out the wrong one so Id be sending it back for the correct one. Ooni customer service is top drawer so you wont have any problems exchanging it.

Burning wood is fine during the summer when you're likely out in the garden in sunshine and brightness anyway, it gets old pretty quick when its dark, raining and cold outside during the winter so thats where having the convenience of gas really pays off imo. Seeing as you have spent 75 on the patio gas cylinder which cant be returned you might as well get the correct regulator that youve already paid for. Youll appreciate it when its raining heavily but you still want to cook pizza outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Yeah. I'll give them another call.

We've had four firings so far over the past month with Charcoal and wood and it is really no bother. The only problem is getting the match to the fire lighter when it's blowing outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭budgemook

I'm not mad about using gas on the Karu 12 to be honest. I used it for the second time this evening and the pizza was nice but you just don't get the same leoparding and the flavour that goes with it. It is more convenient so I'll stick with it for winter but as soon as the weather improves I'll be back to using wood.

On a separate note, I wanted a proper Neapolitan margarita pizza tonight so went against common advice here and lashed on the sauce and the buffalo mozzarella (without drying it). I had to be pretty careful to avoid it sticking to the peel but it came off very well. If I had a wood fire going I'd say it would have been amazing!

mmmmmm

What recipe do you use for the dough.i normally use Vito's next level one but tried one with the ooni app with less hydration 65% it turned out well the dough was a lot easier to work with.

This recipe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HkXojFU_LrE

I usually make 2-3 bases as a time and use the below per pizza based on the above method. Gives a decent 12-14 inch pizza.

180g tipo 00 per base

115 ml water per base

As little salt as I can get away with (tried zero and you can taste the difference)

dried yeast 1/4 tea spoon per base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I made some pizzas last night and I was coming on here to ask about salt.

I'm definitely using too much, I'm following the ooni classic pizza dough recipe and I always end up parched for the night afterwards. Based on what you're saying 893bet, I'm going to dial the salt down.

Would you have an idea of what "as little as I can get away with" is in grams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ooni recipe says 10g for 500g of flour. Too much. Half a teaspoon is enough. Like 3g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Standard for neapolitan dough is 2.5 to 3% of the flour so if anything it should be around 15g for 500g of flour. 3g doesn't seem like nearly enough. I think ideally it's meant to be fine sea salt.

• Advertisement

I haven't tried the stadler one yet only the ooni and Vito's.ive noticed fresh sea salt is a lot better then normal table salt.

Advertisement