Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Did you find the link to the percent of people in employment yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Again, it's not up to me to back up your claim. 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

They can keep free room and board.

Their social welfare will be means tested once in employment.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Glad to see you are up front with your double standards.

You have no problem whether or not 100,000 new arrivals work or not but want the Irish to be “sweating in their next job activation”.

What a beautiful human.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

We can't even house who's already here. We have no business taking 80,000 more. It's about time the media did their job and start asking these clowns some hard questions.

This is what happens when you have a media and Government that are more interested in getting likes on social media for virtue signalling than doing anything remotely responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This is what happens when you have a media and Government that are more interested in getting likes on social media for virtue signalling than doing anything remotely responsible.

And now, when they are getting backlash; abuse on social media and in the streets, instead of wondering why and changing their ways, they double down and play the victim. Yet you'll never hear even a hint about the people being victims of terrible state policies, which is far more damaging and long lasting than a politician getting a bit of abuse.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tell me how you can get to Dublin airport, dump your passport and lodge a claim and not be sent packing??

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pauly58

It seems common sense is nowhere to be seen in this https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/despite-our-problems-we-must-not-shirk-our-duty-to-help-refugees-42306552.html if you think Ireland is full then by definition, you must be a racist.

This is all going to come crashing down. I find that editorial offensive, I've had more good friends from diverse countries but because I can see the utter stupidity of bringing more people in here I must be a racist.

Nope you mentioned specific stats, I can't back up your claim.

A reasonable person would concede that 1000s of literal refugees taking up employment would be a good thing, maybe even inspirational.

Not in Bizarro world I guess.

• Advertisement

You literally did. I even quoted it. You really must be the most dishonest poster on Boards.

Dishonest. Indeed. You really need to read my post again and then read your "claims".

Grand so we can all see you were talking tripe.

So now I am not a reasonable person for asking you to provide figures for your statement on a discussion forum.

Nowhere did I say Ukrainians working is not a good thing.

But as usual you make up things that nobody has said.

It's all very predictable at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That still doesn't equate to 'open borders' - we have one of the toughest immigration procedures at point of entry in the entire EU.

Also, there's no evidence of it being easier to claim asylum in Ireland than in any other country in Europe. Official stats show we are in and around the EU average for asylum claims, nothing out of the ordinary going on here.

IF you think it is such a good thing why are you demanding stats, when you already claim to have them?

Predictable is right. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DrCatherine

Hello. Every morning I open the Irish news with fear and today in the flow of information I got to this forum. I was moved to tears by how many people are objective, loyal and ready to support Ukrainians. I would like to clarify. I am a doctor from Ukraine (yes, there are VERY MANY of our doctors, there are hundreds of them). In Ukraine, I had a salary of 1200 euros (I'm a dentist) and I don't think that we lived "in ****" as one user wrote here. Our health care level is very high, as is cultural development. If it weren't for the fact that my house was bombed - "from this ****" I would never have left. This is the first

Second - I graduated from the military department and was ready to go to the front to treat the wounded, but my mother refused to sit with my son 6 years old and said I was insane. When my shock passed after the first days of the war, I realized that I just need to take my child and save him, take him away until his arms and legs are torn off (this is the second answer - why are not all Ukrainian doctors at the front)

Nobody is demanding anything, more dishonesty.

I am asking on a discussion board for you to back up a statement, shock horror.

The fact that you can't back up a statement is certainly no shock.

Again more rambling nonsense with a laughing face.

And thirdly, I came to Ireland only because at least I know English, I can communicate with people. I came because Ireland is a country that also had such hard times. The Irish are kind, brave, free, ideological. I won’t think about benefits for a minute if I confirm my diploma and start working. Sitting without work is unbearable, since I was 16 I have been working all my life. I don't want to be a burden to the state

And while the war is going on, I don’t want to leave, not because “Seryozha went to school and got used to it,” but because now my city is 70% already Russia, it was surrounded by a dense ring, and if it passes to Putin, this is the end.

• Advertisement

You claim to have the data that backs up my "statement".

1000s of refugees clean into the country taking up employment really has made some people tetchy. 🤷‍♀️

Can we not just agree it's a wonderful thing and one would hope inspirational?

But. I agree with many on this forum. Do you know why? Because I don't understand what a bunch of single adult men from Ukraine are doing here!! They take the place of someone's child who would be safe.

I am sure that you do not know the character of Ukrainians, of course, we are all different, but Ukrainian women often have 2-3 higher educations, work hard jobs, keep the house and children clean, cook meals like in a restaurant. Therefore, women with children will definitely not be a "burden" for Ireland. Let us catch out breath, stop cry, come to out senses, confirm our diplomas and then the time will come for criticism.

Thank you very much for reading. I love and hug everyone❤

Simply not true. We don’t know who is entering the country across the northern border.

Are you able to practice medicine here and do you intend to go home when the time comes?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LaoisWeather

Whats the term given to those who hate their fellow countryman and woman with such venom? A form of Allophilia I think it is mixed with cultural cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Coming through GB and then NI would be a difficult and unnecessary way to claim asylum in the Republic. It would be fine if you wanted to work in the black economy or something, but not if you wanted to claim asylum.

Of course, I want to return home, my mother and grandmother stayed there, I need to finish my Ph.D. thesis there, there are my trees that I planted in the garden, there are the graves of my friends. But this is in a parallel universe. Because to be realistic, Putin wants to perpetuate his name in history and he will turn it into a third world war. If there is nowhere to return, what to do then? What if scorched earth remains? I don't know the correct answer to this question. But all Ukrainians want to go home, they really want to. To be honest, for some time we ourselves thought that Ukraine was not the most developed country. But everything is relative. It turned out that we have excellent medicine, science, technology, education system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

You think Putin is bad, wait till you get settled in here and get a load of the Irish branch of the Green Party.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement