Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

He got a lot of grief over his lack of contribution in that season. It was suggested that he had no interest in being at Leipzig after the transfer agreement with Liverpool was announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Que Everton bounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

A propos of absolutely nothing, I saw somewhere today that some Leeds fans have started referring to Jesse Marsch as Yank Lampard 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bit harsh on Marsch - he's done an awful lot more in his managerial career than Lampard has. Really, Frank should be known as the Brit Jesse Marsch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think the players are knackered too and it could well be one of the reasons we appear to have so many sick notes. Players are being pushed to their absolute and at times over their limits, thus breaking down. Fabinho looks absolutely knackered, I think he'd benefit from being given a couple months break from football, at the moment he's of no value to the team, if anything he's a hindrance, might as well give him a break, he could come back for the end of season/ start of next season a totally rejuvenated player. The club seriously needs to review the training regime and the rest & recuperation of the players as we appear to consistently have more injuries than other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He was very good for an hour or so I thought, but died a death at that stage. Dame in the last game, the kid hasn't the engine yet to last 90 minutes, let alone do it twice a week - and if we overwork him we'll crock him.

We gotta mind him.

Probably no harm to have Bajcetic trading off with Henderson, one or the other playing 30 or 60 minutes in each game. Then the other 2 midfield spots divided up between Thiago, Naby, and Elliott (and hopefully Arthur before too much longer). Henderson can still do that 6 role I think - he can still have bursts of pace and energy when called for. He can't play with Fab anymore, as the net loss in energy is too great, but he can play instead of him with 2 of the other lads I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

As I've said before, for these players, it's not the years; it's the mileage.

Mentally and physically they must be shattered. Especially considering there hasn't been sufficient investment in key areas. They are injured.

While it's not the end of the world by and stretch, it's a massive shame that we are where we are. It should have been handled better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Latest midfielder we are linked to on twitter is a loan move for Ryan Gravenberch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I think your twitter feed is stuck in 2021?

Or maybe 2022?

We didn't sign him the last 4 times we were linked with him, why would we now when he's got 4.5 years to run on his contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Never knew we were linked to him before,sure we all know 99% of these rumours are exactly that,rumours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Gravenberch's agent was at Anfield at the game on Saturday. Might have just been visiting as a fan, although she has taken over Mino Raiola's clients since he passed away. So there could be something in it.

Another Dutch player, I wonder where the recommendation came from.....

Gerrard began his career getting 10-20 minutes in a handful of games and the Premier League is a lot more demanding now than it was over 20 years ago. No teenager should be expected to be available to play minutes in central midfield every week especially in a dysfunctional team. Tyler Morton is older than Bajcetic and has gone on loan to Blackburn this season where he has played in every league game, he has started 24 games to date and it is beginning to take its toll.

Blackburn's recent dip in form has coincided with the club captain and Morton's midfield partner being rested while Morton played the three games in the week of the Christmas period. Since then he has been affected by tiredness late on in games. Against Bristol City at the weekend, Blackburn took the lead against the run of play when he ran beyond the forward line and cut the ball back for Bradley Dack to score. Blackburn could have been 2-0 up at that point, but Brereton Diaz didn't have his shooting boots on. After the goal, Blackburn were on the back foot. Morton was partially at fault for Bristol City's equaliser in the 68th minute because he was tired and could do nothing more than stick a leg out to prevent Zak Vyner from getting a shot on goal. Daniel Ayala was sent off for a soft yellow card minutes later and by the end of the game Morton was knackered and just a walking body on the pitch.

The loan period has been a good experience for Morton but he is being overplayed at this point, and at the same time Jon Dahl Tomasson is rotating his own midfield players. Recalling him would add another midfield rotation option for the remainder of the season and prevent him from sustaining an injury due to tiredness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

People were saying he had a stress fracture in his back and had to rest up ...

Clearly not much to that, maybe he's just not up to it as of yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The Athletic are saying that the Qatar rumours were just rumours, and that the most likely investment for them is a 15% stake in Spurs

That is a bit concerning. He can't be impressing in training if Milner is getting the nod there. Shame, Trent could really do with some rest and competition for his place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's not what they are saying though. They are saying QSI were in talks to take a small investment in Spurs but QSI have never been linked to Liverpool but rather QSA.

Either way I've made my feelings on middle eastern oil money buying the club as a sportswashing venture very clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think it's been also said on here that that the whole physical and mental drain is a theory alright but one with plenty of holes.

There was a summer off, there was a December break for many and it's gonna be February soon, perhaps Mane really was more important than some on here thought

Perhaps we have just gotten ****, perhaps we spent poorly, perhaps we didn't invest enough

Teams do get **** spells, it can happen quickly enough, I know I'm shocked to see Arsenal and Newcastle's progress given where they were just last season.

He'll get his chance when Klopp decides that he's ready. He missed out on pre-season and only began training with the first team on September 29th.

It should be remembered that Andy Robertson had 5 months training with the group before Klopp felt he was ready to be a regular fullback. Tsimikas was signed as a backup to Robertson and only started 3 games in his first season, his league debut was in February.

I was impressed with him what I've seen of him, but obviously the PL is a whole different kettle of fish to the Scottish League...

Newcastle picked up 38 points in the second half of last season, only Liverpool and Man City outperformed them in that period. They also picked up 38 points in the first 19 games of this season so they have maintained their consistency. Given their resources that shouldn't be surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What resources, I can't name a player in their squad, okay maybe two , Karius, Trippier, . But it's not as if they've signed Mbappe, Messi, Neymar, ect. They paid 70m for a striker, Isak, who has 3 goals, and has been injured for 16 games.

So I can't put their points total down to the fact they have money, but have spent none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

In the past 2 summers Newcastle have spent over €260m on transfers and recouped only €2.3m in sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Chelsea drop 460 mill in the Jan transfer window while sitting in 10th place.

Aresnal have 2 or 3 signings already this window and were looking to spend over 80 million on a player Chelsea pipped them too.

United and City can spend similarly if they need to and offer high wages.

The PL is already a financial super league that we've punched above our weight for about 5 seasons now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

God they love to get our hopes up. Then in the summer Bellingham signs for Madrid after they make him all sorts of promises. The usual sources will say how close we were. Liverpool then offer new contracts to Keita, Ox, Milner and Fabinho as the right player isn't available. Maybe next year...... Let's just tease the fans about Mbappe again to keep our hopes up.

• Advertisement

They've the best defence in the league - that's been the biggest difference for them, and what has them where they are. Every one of their back 5, and their best midfielder in front of them, has been bought since the Saudi takeover. The money has been absolutely instrumental. (They're also I think the 3rd highest spender in the world since the takeover).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Then they've made it look easier, as no one wanted anyone they bought.

They've bought pretty well for sure, but they did spend an absolutely massive fortune on an entire team revamp. Put simply - without that spending, they would not be anywhere near where they are. The success is down to those purchases, and a manager who has done well with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

Newcastle will always find it easier to spend well - likely they won’t have to settle for a target unless there’s a heavyweight in for him. Players and agents will see the dollar signs and will queue up, really. Other teams spending that much, like Villa and West Ham, have to be much more selective and will have higher risk by not having the ability to continually spend their way out of trouble.

Newcastle have spent an absolute ton but the English media’s narrative is to not mention the money and portray Howe as a man quietly going about his business - as if he was the primary factor for how well they’re doing.

I think he’s doing a good job, and players that were there before he got there are playing better, but pretending the money is a non-significant factor is nonsense, and I can’t decide if it’s being pushed this way to not draw attention to the Saudis or because England are desperate to have an elite manager to speak about(which they tried with Lampard for a while, unbelievably!). Probably a bit of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It would be very Liverpool 2023-2023 for this lad to actually not play any games for the club. Poor lad can't catch a break

Christ... hopefully this is found to be shenanigans on Juve's side, rather than the player being complicit in it. It's not up to him what they put down on their books, as long as anywhere he's declared his own wages/taxes is done correctly - so let's hope they are! Been a disaster of a loan obviously, but he could actually be very useful when he finally comes back given our problems. Especially when the Champions League games start rolling in.

Sure we've spent half that in the last six months on two players.

Anyone who thought, one calendar year ago, that Newcastle's signings would have them were they are should do the lotto.

My original point remains, couldn't have seen them be this high up a year ago.

Depends on what you mean by "where they are now"... They're getting a hair under 2 points per game. That's not unreasonable to have guessed with 250+m of incomings - particularly an entirely new defence. Their league position is particularly good, but that's dictated by how well/badly other teams do. In another season where some of Liverpool/Chelsea/Spurs weren't underperforming so badly that same 1.9ppg could see them in 6th or 7th.

They deserve credit for good management and astute buys - but it simply can't be forgotten that their spending has been the backbone of all of it.

(Also, while we've spent ~120million on those two lads, we've also recouped 80m in sales... Newcastle is just all spending)

• Advertisement

Let's not overcomplicate it.

Who thought they'd be third and ten points ahead of Liverpool?

There isn't a player in that team I'd have had in Liverpool's first XI this time last year and now they are out of our reach.

Anyway, I did say Arsenal too and as a club who regularly spend decently it didn't necessarily follow they'd be where they are a year ago either.

Ok - but obviously there's two aspects to "Who thought they'd be third and ten points ahead of Liverpool?". They've done well, but Liverpool (and others) are a bigger cause of that points difference than Newcastle are.

I wouldn't say they're necessarily home and hosed either... they've a game more played, and a lot of football yet to come. Will be interesting to see if they can stay riding high over the next 18 matches. Many's the first half season we've seen go well, before a falling off. From Arsenal themselves plenty of times. And from ourselves and especially Spurs in 20/21, where they were league challengers at Christmas and finished 7th.

Newcastle did buy really well for the defence and Guimarães in midfield though, which their success has been built upon.

45 unforgettable moments from the 2021/2022 campaign.

Enjoyed that. Reminds me of how good we had it.

https://youtu.be/Akl35K14nfU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

And they had good players in Joelinton and Saint Maxim that Steve Bruce didn't know how to use that Howe inherited.

And especially Almiron. Also already had Wilson in there as an important player already. Fair play to Howe, he recognized they did actually have decent attacking weapons, and bought the new goalkeeper, defence and midfielder that could give them a playform. Spending the money is hugely behind the improvement, but they did it well, and in the correct places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Spending the money is hugely behind the improvement, but they did it well, and in the correct places.

Exactly. There's a lot to be said for that. They could have done a Chelsea on it.

All of the players involved were complicit in it, some have provided testimony regarding the behind the scenes agreement as part of the investigation. Melo was also the subject of a dodgy transfer between Juventus and Barcelona.

The signings of Bruno G & Botman were very 'Liverpool 2017-2019' signings. They transformed the team between them, along with Tripper who seems to have taken on the role of leader very well. Those players would start for most clubs in the league, if not all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Some very good singings alright ,

Been brilliant at trhe back ,

I find it interesting in the day of attacking full backs teams seem to very well be almost playing 3 CB's, as in one of the full backs could be a CB & one proper full back,

Newcastle Burn at LB , Arsenal , White at RB . City Walker RB sometimes Ake LB ,Chelsea a few year back AZP

Years gone by United had Brown, OShea, Chelsea Ivanovic , Liverpool Babbel

• Advertisement

The Saudi's weren't stupid, they didn't piss money up the wall immediately after acquiring the club unlike Abramovich at Chelsea or QSI at Man City. They brought in a competent manager who knew how to utilise the decent players in the squad and identified what needed to be fixed.

The Championship level players all made way and given the club's new found wealth burning their contracts wasn't a concern. The fortunes of Newcastle were no longer tied to the likes of Ciaran Clark, Jeff Hendrick, Jonjo Shelvey, Isaac Hayden, Dwight Gayle and Andy Carroll being at their best. The signing of Guimaraes gave them a platform in midfield and the entire back line and goalkeeper were replaced. As a result Newcastle don't concede many goals, a consequence of that is they don't need to score very many in order to win games.

Howe has spoken of how the target for this season was to push for qualifying for the Europa League either by finishing up the league or winning a domestic cup competition. Given the fall off of both Chelsea and Liverpool, those clubs that would have expected to be scrapping it out for the Europa League places have found themselves two or three places higher and now Champions League qualification is a possibility. A total of 66-71 points has been sufficient to qualify for the Champions League in the past number of seasons, Newcastle's points total for their last 38 league games is 77 points.

Advertisement