Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ugh, Punch-out!! is really kicking my ass. The first 3 fights I basically have down pat. Don Flamenco really should be easier but he is so annoying to fight that sometimes I lose my cool and end up totally screwing up and he gets flukey win against me. I can't even complain about it either as the whole gimmick of that fight and character is to frustrate the player into making a mistake, it's begrudgingly great game design.

Things get really bad once I hit Mr. Sandman. His attacks are super quick and you have a tiny window to dodge them. I can dodge his attacks pretty consistently now. The big issue is his special Dreamland Express. In the first round he will delay a long time and you have to watch for him to flash and then dodge three punches. I don't know what the timing is to dodge after the flash but it's can't be more than 2 frames. Unfortunately dodging this attack is the only way to do decent damage to him. In Round 2 you can expect the Dreamland express every time he or you go down. You also can't just keep dodging and hope to get lucky, he seems to wait for you to come out of a dodge before initiating it if you dodge too early. I seen some one in a video dodge it with constant dodges. Maybe they were doing quick dodges. Worth a try.

Anyway the odd time I beat that guy and get to Super Macho Man. Super Macho Man is fine, his attacks are much slower than Mr. Sandman and way easier to dodge. The issue is his super spinning move which I don't have the timing for. I think in this case I need to actually slow my dodges down and listen to the sound each punch makes and dodge then but hard to do under pressure. One time I got to him without losing a fight and on the third loss the game punts you back to Don Flamenco.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eat **** super Macho man!

First Tyson fight.

Didn't go so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

If any kind of meet up or show ever happens I'll bring that punchout cabinet and you can kill Mike Bison standing up

**** yes!

I don't know how the **** I did it. It was a pretty slow second round. Was doing well, knocked Tyson out in the first 10 seconds but nowhere near doing the damage for two more knockdowns so 1:30 hits, he does the wiggle eyebrows signifying a flurry of punches coming and a chance at a star, I'm a bit late so throw a punch hoping for a star and he goes straight down. WTF that never happens.

So he got back up. Holding my own but don't have the time to put him down. Gets ready near the end of the round wiggling the eyebrows again. Again a bit late I throw a punch. And he goes straight down again TKO. What the hell!

I was following you can beat videogames tips, he was saying throw a uppercut at the eyebrow wiggle but i could never carry the uppercut to that stage as I'd always take at least one hit. Looking it up on line with stupidly good timing you can put him down with a punch. So I fluked it but **** it I'll take it!

Anyone wanted to give it a try it's all about surviving the first 1:30 in round one. After that it becomes an extremely tough but fair fight. Don't be too put off if you go down twice in that first 1:30. If you can survive it you have a very good chance and you get a few more knockdown recoveries than most other fights give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Fair ****, have really enjoyed following your journey to decking Tyson.

I can give up videogames now. I've peaked.

I think I might take another stab at beating TMNT now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Finished Shenmue III this evening. I started playing the trilogy back in 2014 and its taken me nearly 9 years to get through all three!

How did you find it in the end? I'm still kinda surprised how Shenmue 3 has apparently killed pretty much any impact that series seemed to have had in that nobody talks about anymore in the same reverential way.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I found it to be an enjoyable experience if you put your mind into a space as if you're playing a Dreamcast game. You can't approach it as a modern game at all.

What's particularly weird about it upon reflection is that Shenmue experience was to be cutting edge and a vision of what videogames might be in the future - 3 is the complete opposite of that. Its entirely a nostalgia trip, but I think it captures games of that era beautifully.

Great point about it killing any hype or impact it had as a series though, you are completely right there. Folks spending years wanting a third game was far more of a thing than the game itself. Now that it's happened a bit of the magic has died.

Does make you wonder if Half-Life 3 being released would have a similar result on that franchise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The funny thing is Half-Life Alyx came out, was a medium-defining masterpiece, and barely anyone played it relatively speaking (understandably, because of costly hardware requirements)! We got our full-fledged new Half-Life game and it only barely exists in the popular consciousness!

And it also teased Half-Life 3 in the most tantalising way too 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Playing Metal Slug. Arcade version. Good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭deadduck

Is the Wii considered retro yet?

Started up MadWorld a few days ago. It’s a Platinum game, and one of those, reviewed well, but sold rubbish games. Controls aren’t the best, as it has some ‘waggle’ stuff included, but it’s pretty stylish (mostly black and white, comic book style), and definitely different. Has a DeathRace 2000 feel to it, i.e., the more stylish your kills, the more points you rack up

Seemingly it got a sequel of sorts on PS3/360, Anarchy Reigns

Mad world annoyingly is one of those Wii games that was released in totally unoptimised 50hz in Europe and ruins the experience. I've been meaning to pick up a ntsc copy.

Not quite as good as i remember

Master of the Universe

It's been tempting me for nearly three years now to buy an Index, have yet to be able to justify a grand for a game. 🤣

It's mad, I was so behind the whole VR thing when it was in prototype stage but now that it's gone 100% commercial I have yet to buy any of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

I've a boxed Rift up on Adverts if you fancy a cheaper way of playing Alyx....just sayin 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know it's tempting to hold off to play on the best of the best, but I played on a standard Oculus Rift and thought it was truly magnificent. If you have a VR headset that'll run it, it's worth just diving in IMO - as said, it's a proper full-fat Half-Life game and really still the only proper AAA VR game (although obviously more focused stuff like Beat Saber, Thumper, Rez Infinite etc... are also great).

• Advertisement

So I started TMNT on the NES last night after giving it a go a the day before. I'm pretty much near the end now, I had to save state as it was taking longer than I thought and a big part of the game is grinding health and power-ups.

It's a really strange game. It's very far below the usual quality you expect from Konami. It's definitely rushed. I'd normally expect well thought out and considered platforming in a Konami game but in this a lot of enemy formations are slightly randomised and they are just placed in the level hap hazardly. The turtles are all extremely unbalanced as well. Don is the best with huge reach, the ability to attack above and below him and the highest damage in the game. He attacks slower than the other turtles but it's barely a hinderance. Raphael is second best. He has shorter range than Don but the same damage output. Leonardo has decent range and utility with his sword but becomes mostly useless later on because his damage is so poor. And Michelangelo is totally useless, short range, lowest damage and can't attack above or below.

The whole game feels slap dash and thrown together, like something a western studio would have produced and not Konami. I'd say they had to hit a tight deadline for release and the lack of enemies from the show and the weird place holder enemies highlights this.

So how am I doing so well in the game. It's all thanks to following 'You can beat videogame's' Youtube video. The biggest killer in this game isn't the enemies (although there's some really nasty platforming and enemies in this game) but knowing where to go. Each map screen is littered with stages that lead to dead ends or useless power ups and if you take all of these the game will wear you down until you have no turtles left. It's also nice to know where to farm health, find captured turtles you lose and where to farm the best subweapon in the game.

I fully expect to have this beaten by this evening. It's definitely not the awful game it's made out to be but it's a bafflingly shoddy Konami release.

One funny thing to note about the game is that it was far and away Konami's best selling game for years. As a result the Konami executives and managers would compare every project to this game. Interviews with Konami developers said that they would constantly be told why isn't a game as good as TMNT when their game inevitably didn't sell TMNT numbers. Imagine working for Konami, making some of the best games of the generation and then being asked why isn't it as good as a shoddy release like TMNT!

And that's Turtles finished. It's a real mess of a game. The final corridor of death would have been infuriating if I was younger and didn't know how to complete it. Thankfully shredder is a push over with the scroll sub weapon so didn't take a single hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

I just got the expansion pack, so really looking forward to beating Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for the first time ever (PS fan boy here lol). Once I'm done with them (and SM 64, Golden Eye and I few others I suppose), I'll get to purchasing BotW and Odyssey. As for A Link to the Past, it's pure genius at work, nothing more to add!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Link between worlds and a link to the past are different and excellent games.

Only took 33 years but finally finished Prince of Persia

Nice. Always meant to go back to that game. I'll probably play the expanded SNES version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Funnily enough, I’ve been playing SNES PoP a bit but struggling on a loooong jump a few stages in.

Also have Paper Mario on N64 on the go. Surprising how hard it is early on if you’re unprepared with health items especially.

Master of the Universe

I haven't played Prince of Persia since myself and my cousin rented the Snes version out in the early 90s and we were absolutely disgusted at how difficult it was.

Many accusations of the game 'cheating' were thrown about 😁

Its incredibly difficult yeah. Id love to know how many people chucked it in before level 3

The considered controls of the game just really appealed to me. It's probably why I love the first Tomb Raider as its essentially PoP in 3D.

Certainly battling the controls more than any enemies. Theres only about 10 sword fights in the whole thing. The rest is just making sure you press up in time on the jumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Ghosts n Goblins. I've just been told my weapon has not effect and been kicked back 2 levels!

2 levels? It's back to the start of the game for the rest of the series!

Played a good bit of Crash Bandicoot 2 last night. It's the one game in the series I've the least amount of familiarity with. I've heard it held aloft by the Sony faithful as a nintendo-esque masterpiece and one of the best platformers of all time.

From my time playing Crash 2 I can conclude one thing, the people that praise this game need to play more platform games, especially nintendo ones because this game is very mediocre.

Now it is a big improvement over Crash 1 but that game is not good.

I like the hub design, it means you aren't stuck on a stage. The level design so far, while not exactly spectacular, at least has variety and there so far hasn't been the god awfulness of some of those Crash 1 levels. There's a new slide move which adds a bit more complex movement to the game but kind of only complicates things.

Now for the bad. Going for secrets is a lesson in awful game design. They aren't well communicated to the player and many are hidden off camera. It's just really unfair. The first boss was also complete gash. There's also still issues with Crashes design, with levels asking you to walk into the camera if you are going for secrets. At least the game doesn't completely negate you progress getting all crates when you die once like Crash 1 does.

So far it's perfectly cromulent.

Master of the Universe

A friend of mine sold me a copy of Crash Bandicoot 2 for twenty pounds not long after it was released. Was disc only in a blank black plastic case. Absolutely great deal for me, snapped it out of his hands.

I never really questioned the black plastic case. Turns out he'd nicked it from the countertop in Advanced Vision Bray! Bastard didn't tell me until years later.

Same dude ended up doing a stint in Mountjoy for stealing cars about ten years later.

Can probably trace it back to that stolen Crash Bandicoot 2 :eek:

And they say crime doesn't pay and yet we have the Tories making millions in the UK and pantry boy paying for a pantry through the proceeds of Crash Bandicoot 2 theft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I really enjoyed Prince of Persia: Sands of Time on the PS2/Xbox back in 2003 (twenty fecking years ago!).

It had a great use of 3D space, compared to most other 3D platformers of the era.

Swinging back to Tomb Raider, its Cistern level achieved a similar feat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

Haha, so true.. It only goes to show how much of a Zelda n00b I am... Alas, that's about to change

Have started a link to the past, but never got back to it. My bad !

A link between worlds is one of my favourite games, and I've only played it in 2D. On a New 3DS with proper head tracking, supposed to be even better.

BOTW and OOT also some of my favourite games.

Really struggled with Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask ... Have done all of these to various levels of main game completion, but never finished time.

Skyward Sword took me 6 years to finish the main game..🤣

Twilight Princess is good, but it never hit the highs of Ocarina for me anyway. I've (shamefully) yet to actually invest time into Wind Waker. Finished Majora's Mask a few years back, it was good, but not for me really....much preferred Ocarina again.

Have bounced off Twilight Princess repeatedly despite my best efforts, feels a bit too of its time compared to other entries. That’s not to mention the entire thing feels like a bit of a self-conscious over-correction to the backlash Wind Waker faced. Which is hilarious in hindsight, considering Wind Waker holds up better than Twilight.

Still shocked Majora was the follow-up to Ocarina. It’s crazy one of the greatest and most popular fantasy epics in gaming is followed up with what is essentially an existential nightmare. You rarely see that kind of craic in any medium.

• Advertisement

Yep MM is disturbing. I doubt Nintendo would ever do that again ... queue Tears of the Kingdom 😂

Agreed there on all counts. Twilight Princess feels like an attempt to go back to the Ocarina format, but it lacks a lot of the charm, and isn't nearly as tight/focused. I still enjoyed it for what it was, but I don't imagine I'll ever revisit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I enjoyed it in the Wii but found the gated structure a bit frustrating. It’s something that was Flanderised in Skyward Sword. Get three things to open a thing and collect some stuff then dungeon.

I got it on the Wii U but stuff got in the way, but I’d still like to replay it and Wind Waker.

Yesterday, I tried out the reverse engineered Zelda 3 on my laptop. Some cool features like widescreen mode and some quality of life mods there.

Apparently there’s versions for Switch now.

Master of the Universe

Twilight Princess is one of the few Zelda games I've never been able to get through. Couldn't get into it on release at all.

I've been tempted to go back and give it another go via the HD remaster as I only just played Skyward Sword HD last year for the first time and had an absolute blast with it.

I think twilight princess came at the perfect time for me. Got it day one of the Wii and for the longest time there wasn't a whole lot on the Wii so I had plenty of reason to sink the ridiculous... 40 hours I think?... Into it. When the wiiu remake came out I didn't get it because I knew I wouldn't be willing to put that time into it.

When I think back to it there's not a whole lot that stands out about it. Wind waker or ocarina made more of an impression and I did remember thinking it felt like a ocarina remake.

Master of the Universe

I remember reading a lot about it in games magazines back in the day and it was definitely being billed as the true successor to Ocarina.

It's so ridiculous to look back on now, but people really did give out a lot about Windwaker when it came out. It was released at a time where a lot of franchises were starting to 'mature up' their games on the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube - so it really was a bit left field for Nintendo to release the next big Zelda game in a cartoon like cel shaded style.

I would have been playing Vice City and Hitman 2 that year on the PS2, so had absolutely zero interest playing a game like that.

Jokes was on me though, Windwaker is bloody brilliant and a far better game than a lot of what I would have been playing back then.

One of the better Zelda games yep. The sailing did get annoying though. But there isnt one Zelda game that doesn't have something that annoys me.

I honestly could not understand the backlash I thought the game looked gorgeous. But the dumb dumbs just wanted a lord of the rings blood and guts take on Zelda.

Master of the Universe

I was rather bloodthirsty back in those days myself so would have been one of those dumb dumbs, I think my main criteria for buying a game was whether there was a big 18 on the front of it or not. I think half the time I cleared levels in Hitman 2 just by going in with an M60. 🤣

Didn't actually play things like SOTC/ICO/Psychonauts till about ten years after they came out and I'd actually developed taste.

Actually speaking of PS2 era games, I managed to get 5 hours of Persona 4 in yesterday. Such a great game. It's gas, it's the third time I've started it so know the first 10 hours word for word at this stage. Not sure why I didn't stick with it past that in previous play throughs, certainly going to this time.

Not sure how I feel about the remastered HD visuals though, it feels a bit like someone loaded up a PS2 game on a PC emulator and just whacked up the resolution without really upgrading anything else.

• Advertisement

Twilight Princess and Gen 6 generally were gaming’s awkward adolescent phase where edginess and darkness got conflated with maturity and we ended with a spate of IPs that have aged like yak milk.

Twilight Princess is good for useless trivia though. It’s where we get a non-CDi talking Link with Hero’s Shade, a fact that has launched 1000 lore YouTube channels.

Advertisement